Outdoors
Sponsored by

LOL Neighbors put two big ass box blinds on us.

39,995 Views | 206 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aTm2004
Tynanz06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Property ID: 4997 & 4998 (28ac) If that helps
CS78
mathguy86 said:

Somebody is paying taxes on it. That's ultimately who owns it.

Not true at all.

And dont assume that any info from the CAD is correct.
AgEng98
CS78 said:

mathguy86 said:

Not true at all.

Where can I find some land to own where somebody else pays the taxes?
Mas89
AG
You would be surprised at how many undeveloped rural tracts have an old undivided interest problem.
In some cases that is why they are undeveloped.

These undivided interests are sometimes sold at tax sales on the courthouse steps.
O.G.
I nominate this as single best post of Deer Season 2019.
Naveronski
AG
Thus far, at least.
swampstander
AG
Tynanz06 said:

Pretty sure a few years ago he was advertising day hunts for $300 on Craigslist.
When my buddy saw those stands, that's the first thing he said, "looks like someone is selling day hunts". I checked craigslist. Don't see anything that matches.
Tynanz06
In 2017 we had a very distinct buck with split G2s on both sides that we wanted to give another year. I came across that post advertising day hunts in Oakwood on CL and decided to check it out. Was very surprised when I saw game cam photos of that same buck being advertised. 90% positive it was that property on the other side of your fence.
O.G.
AgEng98 said:

CS78 said:

mathguy86 said:

Not true at all.

Where can I find some land to own where somebody else pays the taxes?
I've seen it in title many times when heirs will pay the taxes for a very long time but never do a probate on the Grandpa or file any paperwork that is, in any way, relevant to heirship and I have heard the argument, "but I pay the taxes" a million times. Does not mean that you own it.

I've seen kids/grandkids etc etc pay the taxes to keep them current but there could be many heirs all with equal shares in it and just because one of them paid the taxes, it does not give them more of a share.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Yep, a few years ago I did a deal with "The Estate of...", The lady died in 1932, they never closed the Estate.

A buddy just tried to buy some acreage that bordered his, got to the title policy stage and it was discovered that 12 people.owned the tract, 1 had been paying the taxes for years and the 11 others didn't know they owned an interest. If you are in O&G or rural real estate you see it often enough to not be surprised. Everyone reads Grandma's will and sees Junior gets the land but never probates the Will so everyone gets the land... ALWAYS PROBATE THE WILL!
DannyDuberstein
AG
So just to be clear, a separate person claims partial ownership of the 90 acres (separate from the person you thought owned it)? Or are they claiming ownership of part of your friend's property that surrounds it? I assume former.
SteveBott
AG
I've got 20 acres in north Smith's county with 20 owners. We have it fenced, in use and paid taxes for 50 years. Title said they unwind ownership for more the its worth.

It's for sale. Nice hay pasture and a pond if your interested.
agsalaska
AG
Apache said:

Quote:

Funniest thing is that the two box blinds are about 250 yds apart, looking directly at each other, with two feeders in between.

This only a bad idea if hunters are in the both blinds at the same time.
I have a couple of similar setups with bow stands... I hunt in whichever blind is down wind.
Exactly,

For years I hunted off of six stands on 225 acres, but only three were use able at the same time. Depended entirely on the wind and wherever the deer had been hanging out.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
agsalaska
AG
swampstander said:

AgEng06 said:

Nice buck! Got any more pics?

Here you go.

Man I hit a deer in that exact spot this year. 185 yards free handed with a Remington 760 30-06. 150gr Sierra Game King. Bullet went thru the very top of his ribs, blew out a top of a back strap on one side and blew out the top of the ribs on the other.

That mother****er fell and laid dead for about five minutes. All of a sudden, as Im bragging to my wife on the phone, I see his head pop up. A minute later he stood up. And a minute after that he started walking. I had to shoot that dude again. This time he was dead when he hit the ground.

Somehow that first bullet went below his spine but blew up everything around it. Never seen that before.

Oh, and the only reason I shot him was he walked with a terrible limp and had a broken right leg. It had clearly healed sometime in the past, but he could hardly walk. Had a layer of fat an inch thick. He was like skinning a pig.

Cool deer. Should have taken pictures. He was big enough for me to bury his head in my backyard.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
K_P
AG
This is the time when I'd be dang glad to be the lessee!
Trinity Ag
S
agsalaska said:

swampstander said:

AgEng06 said:

Here you go.

Man I hit a deer in that exact spot this year. 185 yards free handed with a Remington 760 30-06. 150gr Sierra Game King. Bullet went thru the very top of his ribs, blew out a top of a back strap on one side and blew out the top of the ribs on the other.

That mother****er fell and laid dead for about five minutes. All of a sudden, as Im bragging to my wife on the phone, I see his head pop up. A minute later he stood up. And a minute after that he started walking. I had to shoot that dude again. This time he was dead when he hit the ground.

Somehow that first bullet went below his spine but blew up everything around it. Never seen that before.

Oh, and the only reason I shot him was he walked with a terrible limp and had a broken right leg. It had clearly healed sometime in the past, but he could hardly walk. Had a layer of fat an inch thick. He was like skinning a pig.

Cool deer. Should have taken pictures. He was big enough for me to bury his head in my backyard.
I have no idea what this means....
aTm2004
AG
Trinity Ag said:

agsalaska said:

swampstander said:

AgEng06 said:

Here you go.

I have no idea what this means....

If you shoot a big buck, you bury their head in the backyard and big bucks grow on your land.
agsalaska
AG
I bury their heads for a year. When I dig them back up they are completely cleaned off.
swampstander
AG
agsalaska said:

swampstander said:

AgEng06 said:

Here you go.

Shot this deer from 220 yds with 6.5 Grendel. The deer was at a pretty good angle. The bullet broke the near shoulder, blew out a two inch chunk of rib. Jellied the lungs. Cut the liver. Broke a rib in the back side. He went about 30 yds. Both pieces were lodged against the hide on the far side. 123 grain Hornady SST. Ended up retaining 105 grains.

rangelady
AG
Doc Hayworth said:

Looks to me, you and your land owner just acquired 2 new box blinds and feeders.

This
rangelady
AG
Emotional Support Cobra said:

swampstander said:

giddings_ag_06 said:

Throw a curveball and put a lock on their box blind doors.

Or just take screws and screw the doors closed. That'd be pretty awesome.

Game warden actually suggested that I nail the door shut on one of the blinds. But I did not have a hammer/ nail with me. The cold front had just come through when we're out there. The door had blown open and would not stay latched. Crappy insulation was being blown all over the pasture. The landowner is beside himself. I've never seen him so mad.

Before you nail it shut, toss in an angry raccoon.

Porcupine
aTm2004
AG
swampstander said:

aTm2004 said:

Awesome. What subject did you teach? English or History?

The Lost Hondo
AG
SAWgunner said:

The Lost Hondo said:

swampstander said:

SockDePot said:

And for the record, I feel like trashy should be a multiplier of hotness. A 10 trashy should = 2x hot. Meaning a 5 hot but 8 trashy would be 5 x 1.8 or a 9. But I grew up around a lot of Louisiana women, so
Maybe I over value trashy.
At what point does the trashy-hotness scale cross the go/no-go line? Assuming no other complications.

Right, the trashy modifier is not a constant. It's a curve, with the peak at just a tad on the trashy side.
See, I gotta state that, based on on past experience, The Trashy can be temporarily abbated for things like job interviews, first dates, being in church etc., but the overwhelming gravity of The Trashy will always win out long term. Say, right around that 5 or so years of marriage mark.

Meaning, she may start out just a tad on the trashy side but she will continue down that slope and it will definitely rear its head again sometime between the ages of 35-45, typically when she will try to rediscover her 20s and try to live that "best life".

Red flag warnings of this include, but are not limited to: Thinking that cruise ship meals are the same as eating in high end/4-star restaurants, her child is either grown now, or its close enough and The Trashy is suddenly hanging out with friends 15+years younger. You're in debt with nothing personal to show for it, but she has all new everything.....again, this list isn't complete....
You've thought about this.
aggielostinETX
AG
The Lost Hondo said:

SAWgunner said:

The Lost Hondo said:

swampstander said:

SockDePot said:

And for the record, I feel like trashy should be a multiplier of hotness. A 10 trashy should = 2x hot. Meaning a 5 hot but 8 trashy would be 5 x 1.8 or a 9. But I grew up around a lot of Louisiana women, so
At what point does the trashy-hotness scale cross the go/no-go line? Assuming no other complications.

Right, the trashy modifier is not a constant. It's a curve, with the peak at just a tad on the trashy side.
See, I gotta state that, based on on past experience, The Trashy can be temporarily abbated for things like job interviews, first dates, being in church etc., but the overwhelming gravity of The Trashy will always win out long term. Say, right around that 5 or so years of marriage mark.

Meaning, she may start out just a tad on the trashy side but she will continue down that slope and it will definitely rear its head again sometime between the ages of 35-45, typically when she will try to rediscover her 20s and try to live that "best life".

Red flag warnings of this include, but are not limited to: Thinking that cruise ship meals are the same as eating in high end/4-star restaurants, her child is either grown now, or its close enough and The Trashy is suddenly hanging out with friends 15+years younger. You're in debt with nothing personal to show for it, but she has all new everything.....again, this list isn't complete....

Sounds like he lived it
Kenneth_2003
AG
Mas89 said:

You would be surprised at how many undeveloped rural tracts have an old undivided interest problem.

These undivided interests are sometimes sold at tax sales on the courthouse steps.
Leon County story for ya Ags... Setting... ~330 acres once belonging to my Great grandfather. He divided equally into 5-66 acre tracts to each of his 5 children. I now own the last remaining tract in the family. All others have been sold. The most recent belonged to one of my great aunts (sister of my grandmother). It was "L-shaped" to my property, both being rectangles where my short side was half of her long side.

So my great Aunt died several years ago leaving no will. So it went to her 6 kids. Two of those kids have subsequently passed with 2 children/heirs each. Another child has passed with no heirs so his would be split among his bothers & sisters and their heirs. One of the deceased was put up for adoption, but made contact later in life with two kids of her own. All were welcomed and considered part of the family. So 5 equal shares, two of those 5 shares further divided into 2 each.

Now I'd made it well known I wanted to buy the tract if it was ever sold, but alas... I find out it's for sale at my grandmothers funeral when there are for sale signs nailed to the gate post, both on (what would become) my property and the back fence where the gate to that property is. Had signs on my gate due to an easement. Of course my cousin never took my call until the whole mess was under contract. I think the closing took several months to finalize. I don't know how many notarized signatures it took getting affidavits of heir-ship in place, then cousins were squabbling over who got how much. Apparently the kids of one of the deceased felt they got full share vs. splitting their mom's share because grandma raised them after their mom died.

I don't even want to touch the homestead tract. That was in her late husbands name. She married him after her first husband (and father of all the kids) was killed in a train accident. He too died without a will... and one of the grandkids (that she raised after her daughter was killed) is still, in my opinion, squatting and paying the taxes on that homestead. I don't know if the husbands heirs are doing anything about it or not. Lord help if that property ever sells... It's going to be a title nightmare.
tamc93
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

Mas89 said:

Leon County story for ya Ags... Setting... ~330 acres once belonging to my Great grandfather. He divided equally into 5-66 acre tracts to each of his 5 children. I now own the last remaining tract in the family. All others have been sold. The most recent belonged to one of my great aunts (sister of my grandmother). It was "L-shaped" to my property, both being rectangles where my short side was half of her long side.

So my great Aunt died several years ago leaving no will. So it went to her 5 (I think that number is right) kids. Two of those kids have subsequently passed. One of the deceased was put up for adoption, but made contact later in life with two kids of her own. All were welcomed and considered part of the family.

Now I'd made it well known I wanted to buy the tract if it was ever sold, but alas... I find out it's for sale at my grandmothers funeral when there are for sale signs nailed to the gate post, both on (what would become) my property and the back fence where the gate to that property is. Had signs on my gate due to an easement. Of course my cousin never took my call until the whole mess was under contract. I think the closing took several months to finalize. I don't know how many notarized signatures it took getting affidavits of heir-ship in place, then cousins were squabbling over who got how much. Apparently the kids of one of the deceased felt they got full share vs. splitting their mom's share because grandma raised them after their mom died.

I don't even want to touch the homestead tract. That was in her late husbands name. She married him after her first husband (and father of all the kids) was killed in a train accident. He too died without a will... and one of the grandkids (that she raised after her daughter was killed) is still, in my opinon, squatting and paying the taxes on that homestead. I don't know if the husbands heirs are doing anything about it or not. Lord help if that property ever sells... It's going to be a title nightmare.
This is the reason I bit the bullet and bought out my aunts a couple of years ago. I just need to finalize my parents portion to me and then it is all resolved. Even with "friendly" family it can be a pain.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
Kenneth_2003
AG
Yeah.. Neighbor that bought one of my uncles (well by then his ex-wifes tract) a few years back was even interested in buying the adjacent place with me. We discussed it on the phone and (shy of the details) agreed to split it down the middle(ish) simply extending our common fence line. The difference in acreage would have been roughly +3 to me with him getting more pasture for his cattle and I would have had woods with almost zero pasture. Fine by both of us. We each would have ended up with ~100 acres total out there, and been a cash on hand deal for both of us. Probably would have cut the realtors out and just let an attorney draw up all of the heir-ship mess and my cousins would have all walked away with a few extra grand in their pockets.

Out of town ****** bought it instead and the realtors checks were probably larger than some of my cousins by the time it was all done.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Damn, reading that hurts my head.

Sounds like you need a new family.
Gig 'em! '90
NICU Dad
AG
powerbelly said:

Been stalking this thread but had to quote this.
Kenneth_2003
AG
SanAntoneAg said:

Damn, reading that hurts my head.

Sounds like you need a new family.
We've all got that one branch of thr family tree...
schmellba99
AG
SockDePot said:

Guys on the other side of our high fences, have box blind every 200 yards, and 2-10' ladders under each blind, right on the other side of the fence. Our theory is one to climb over and one to climb back.

I was told there wouldn't be upper level math in this class....
schmellba99
AG
swampstander said:

Not sure how the thread devolved into the appropriate number of stands in 40 acres of woods. I couldn't give two damns about how many stands they have over there. I do take issue with one of their stands that is obviously placed to hunt over us.
Because this is texags OB. NO matter what, it's being done wrong. You should know this by now son!

Hell, I'm kind of surprised you aren't getting raked over the coals yet. Consider yourself lucky!
schmellba99
AG
swampstander said:

highlonesomeaggie said:

I just came here to see if there had been any updates on the trashy/hot topic. Certainly a pic or two would help.
No pics but think about that Nicole chick from that DIY show not quite as pretty in the face, with smokers voice hung over after sleeping in her makeup wearing nothing but a bathrobe. that will get you close.
schmellba99
AG
That hurt my brain to try to piece that together. Land ownership can be about as complicated as quantum physics.

But it can also lead to good deals, especially if you have cash in hand and patience. A good family friend of mine found some land here - I think it started off at 125 acres, maybe a bit more, can't remember - that was owned by and older gentleman that passed and had I believe 7 heirs. None of whom lived in Texas, and none of whom had any interest in the land. Mr. C had the patience and cash to deal with them - took over a year before he was able to get all of the required signatures, but he bought that land for a steal - $1250 an acre I think. He may have offered a little more than their asking price to push things along. 1200 feet of waterfront, great pastureland. He's up to well over 250 acres now as he steadily buys out neighboring properties when the time is right. Patience and money and being able to jump on a deal when it pops up.
O.G.
Deats said:

The Lost Hondo said:

SAWgunner said:

The Lost Hondo said:

swampstander said:

SockDePot said:

Sounds like he lived it
I did. I have more, but I must tread lightly.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.