Outdoors
Sponsored by

Lake McQueeny

49,074 Views | 308 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TXAG 05
TXAG 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So far engineers have testified that GBRA is full of BS. The catastrophic dam failures that GBRA has been crying about was not in the engineer reports.

The hearing is expected to last til Friday or so.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Residents be like ...

TXAG 05
AG
https://www.kens5.com/mobile/article/news/local/judge-grants-temporary-restraining-order-delaying-plan-to-drain-lakes/273-0709f39e-3f0d-4612-a1a7-64c1440c5cff

Restraining order granted
aggiejumper
AG
No, temporary restraining order granted until Monday which is when the case is back in court.
John Cocktolstoy
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

There ain't much interest in down ballot positions until the lake in front of your lake house disappears.

But ... the mf'ers gonna have a nice new office building where they can sit around and think about how they ****ed up.
New offices were canceled long ago.
Second Hardest Workin Man on Texags
aggiejumper
AG
GBRA proposed a settlement agreement to stop the drain and close the lakes temporarily while experts do inspections. Judge gave attorneys time to discuss the offer. The court will recess until 1 p.m.

-From Seguin's newspaper
Burdizzo
AG
Just a gut feeling on how this plays out...

These lakes will get drained because that is the only way to evaluate the dams. Once these lakes are lowered for inspection, it will be a pissing match between each side's experts as to whether or not the lakes are refilled. A 100-year-old dam that has had practically zero maintenance probably has some structural issues with it, and it sure as hell won't meet current design standards. So the GBRA will stand pat that the lakes aren't safe to refill, and the property owners will continue to sue for mismanagement and loss of property value and have their own cadre of experts to prove their points.

And it will be a very long time before the lakes are refilled.
Furlock Bones
AG
small government conservatives strike again.
Ragoo
AG
Furlock Bones said:

why make it political?
agenjake
That may happen. But you could put in coffer dams and keep water in the lakes while you check the gates.
John Cocktolstoy
Furlock Bones said:

Ok Furlock. Explain it, prove to me that this is conservatism in any way shape or form from a person you know to be in power at GBRA from 98 years ago till now. Sure here in Texas from the 70's on it will be easy to find a scapegoat conservative. But remember we are dealing with folks who made a lot of decisions and implemented procedure...and they are dead now. There will be lot of finger pointing, but you will not get any answers from anyone alive working there now. There have been plenty of shenanigans going on by these folks since the 80's and that will be the only thing that they can go after. They should have to prove a lot of paperwork or something. But your comment is silly.
Second Hardest Workin Man on Texags
Burdizzo
AG
agenjake said:

That may happen. But you could put in coffer dams and keep water in the lakes while you check the gates.

If you don't need the lake, why bother putting in something less safe and less controllable than what you already have?
evestor1
I sure hope these lakes get drained.

If not, we are going to have a bunch of very upset people on texags.

TXAG 05
AG
Sounds like they agreed to no drain the lakes for now. Closing the lakes to boats for 30-60 days to assess the dams.

Not sure why so many are pro drain.
Ragoo
AG
Now let's fix Dunlap, k thx.
aggiejumper
AG
With what money?
Who operates it?

Do homeowners create improvement district and pay for dam and give to GBRA? Doesn't seem wise to give a entity like them the keys to a new "ferrari".
Burdizzo
AG
aggiejumper said:

With what money?
Who operates it?

Do homeowners create improvement district and pay for dam and give to GBRA? Doesn't seem wise to give a entity like them the keys to a new "ferrari".

It happens all the time. TxDOT gives money to numerous cities and counties to build transportation projects . But TxDOT has an entire system set up to manage the process and withhold the money to make sure it is done he way they want it done.
Ragoo
AG
aggiejumper said:

With what money?
Who operates it?

well, it was tongue in cheek. Knowing it is very unlikely, but still. I miss Dunlap already.
Burdizzo
AG
Three experts to examine the dams, one from GBRA, one from the plaintiffs, one mutually selected by the first two experts.

And the Judge spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Water. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then, inspectith thou thy Holy Impoundment of Guadalupe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it."
Furlock Bones
AG
Ragoo said:

Furlock Bones said:

why make it political?

I wasn't being political. I was pointing out hypocrisy in issues such as this as I have from the beginning of this whole thing.
Ragoo
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Ragoo said:

Furlock Bones said:

why make it political?

I wasn't being political. I was pointing out hypocrisy in issues such as this as I have from the beginning of this whole thing.
good for you
Burdizzo
AG
https://www.kxan.com/investigations/lakefront-property-owners-surprised-they-dont-own-shoreline/

Pretty interesting article on who owns the property around a lake. Make sure you know what is in your title.
Aggie_3
Pretty sure I called it weeks ago that this was going to go to court and an injunction would be granted
Burdizzo
AG
Article on the safety report. No link to the report, but there are some maps.

https://therivardreport.com/parts-of-guadalupe-river-lakes-reopen-after-safety-report-released/
AustinCountyAg
whats the water level like out there right now? Thinking about renting a house down there for the weekend in October.
slammerag
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

whats the water level like out there right now? Thinking about renting a house down there for the weekend in October.
Its fine - constant level. Placid is natural river due to gates being stuck from Oct 21. I have heard rumors they are draining McQueeney before end of year but nothing concrete
SWCBonfire
AG
River sure has changed in my neck of the woods since they dropped H4/lake Gonzales:
- waterline down 2.5 feet or so (more now in drought)
- velocity greatly increased
- significant uptick in water clarity - like almost winter levels of clarity. Can see a foot or so deep.
- exposed old shoreline
- logs EVERWHERE
- "silt stone"/poorly conglomerated sandstone strata visible on my place that never was exposed before in my lifetime.

houstondunlap
Lake MCQ is down 18 or so inches from full pool. Same level it has been since the drama started.
TXAG 05
AG
We haven't been able to put the boat in the water for a while since the sling can't get low enough for it to get loose.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.