Outdoors
Sponsored by

Lake McQueeny

49,212 Views | 308 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TXAG 05
agenjake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I wonder if any of this will be funded with money from SB7 & SB8 which were recently passed. The immediate funds are supposed to be for projects that have been part of a regional planning process. I am sure GBRA has the dam repairs in some sort of planning document.

Interesting timing to announce draining the lakes while the Texas Water Development Board is in the process of creating project selection requirements.
DTP02
AG
Does anyone know how much they are planning on lowering McQueeney? I didn't see any specifics on the gvlakes site.
Max06
AG
To the natural river flow, whatever that may be. Water level will drop by 12 feet in some places.
Ragoo
AG
DTP02 said:

Does anyone know how much they are planning on lowering McQueeney? I didn't see any specifics on the gvlakes site.
I heard this weekend that GBRA is planning to release all water out of mcqueeney and placid. They will no longer maintain the lakes and are returning the river to its original bed.
Ragoo
AG
Aggie_3 said:

I have a feeling there is going to be an injunction filed for in the courts to stop the draining and force GBRA to release all of their records and "studies" and hopefully be subject to an independent audit which people have been calling for on them for decades
my dad thinks this is the outcome. The injunction will court order GBRA from releasing the water and as a result remove their liability of a future failure should loss of property or death occur.
Ragoo
AG
agcivengineer said:

The USA has not chosen to invest in infrastructure replacement or building resilient infrastructure. These dams are 80 ish years old. There should have been a plan started to replace these dams about 20 years ago. Infrastructure doesnt last forever. Whoever benefitted from these need to pay for them. I gotta laugh when people above in the thread talk about it being "semi-private" and limited boat access and unless your a "member" you wont have access. Well, membership has its benefits....
look at LCRA, they have dams just as old and in significantly better shape.
Aggie_3
Bottom line GBRA has spent 25 million total on as they say repair and maintenance on all the dams total over the last 55 years according to what they've been saying. That is gross mismanagement
SanAntoneAg
AG
Ragoo said:

agcivengineer said:

The USA has not chosen to invest in infrastructure replacement or building resilient infrastructure. These dams are 80 ish years old. There should have been a plan started to replace these dams about 20 years ago. Infrastructure doesnt last forever. Whoever benefitted from these need to pay for them. I gotta laugh when people above in the thread talk about it being "semi-private" and limited boat access and unless your a "member" you wont have access. Well, membership has its benefits....

And GBRA dams are puny compared to LCRA's.
Gig 'em! '90
Ragoo
AG
Agreed, the GBRA has been borderline negligent over the years.
Burdizzo
AG
If I remember correctly, the previous GM of GBRA was Bill West, Aggie, who had a pretty long tenure
Ragoo
AG
Burdizzo said:

If I remember correctly, the previous GM of GBRA was Bill West, Aggie, who had a pretty long tenure
there are quite a few Aggies within their management. Sure feels like they are tolerating a lot of theft.
austinrb10
AG
I anticipate it coming out just how negligent the gbra is. If what I've been told is remotely true (firm hired to repair/maintain) about it being temporary fixes, I can't imagine said firm wanting to be liable. So, I'm sure the communication, scope of work, and concerns for failure have been known for a long time. Then it will be asked why gbra didn't report these findings to the general public and/or State for assistance. If the State knew and did nothing.....well, can/worms/open.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Question... and I have no dog in the fight.

Other than their fancy new headquarters what have they spent money on? Extravagant salaries? Do the dams generate enough revenue through power sales to cover their cost? Seeing the comparisons to LCRA, yes they've got big dams but they also generate a lot of electricity. Dewatering the lakes will shut their only source of revenue off, correct?

Educate me.
Thanks
aggiejumper
AG
A vast majority of GBRA revenue is from water sales to municipalities. Electricity generation is net neutral at best.

Austinrb10, I'd be interested to know where their money went also, no one has seen their books for decades, if ever.
WhoopN06
It's mind boggling as a quasi state agency there are not audited financials published.
Caliber
AG
GBRA has been losing money on their hydroelectric for years.

And the lakes are not intended as recreational lakes. That was simply a byproduct of making the lake. GBRA doesn't get any tax money from people have lake front property.

They are constant level, so they aren't use for water storage. The dams are beyond intended life. They aren't flood control structures, They aren't making money on hydroelectric (losing money actually). They simply don't have a vested interest in keeping the lakes. For anyone worried about the financials of this, the only sound decision is to de-water them. The liability is a big deal too.

I don't see where they have an actual duty to any of the lake front property owners since they don't receive public funding from property taxes. It sucks for lake front owners, but that was a risk buying on a lake these. Many people have done their research in the past and not bought simply over this exact concern.

GBRA is really about water rights and supplying water. Their water storage is in Canyon and works with USACE for that.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Thanks...
I knew they weren't food control, and had limited if any (McQueeny) public access. I also figured they weren't getting property tax dollars. Stands to reason, being relatively low head dams, that the hydro generation was minimal. I figured at best that revenue provided maintenance for the powerhouses.

Seems there's no good solution. The property owners will take an equity bath. The counties are going to take a tax revenue bath. The tax payers in general will get hosed as rates are forced to rise and services cut to meet other bond obligations. The county could sell bonds to fix the lakes but would require significant public access that thr existing owners don't/won't want... seems a no win situation
Apache
AG
Quote:

The dams are beyond intended life.

So if they don't have the funds to repair, are they obligated to demolish the dams?
MAROON
AG
WhoopN06 said:

It's mind boggling as a quasi state agency there are not audited financials published.
https://www.gbra.org/documents/publications/annualreports/2018.pdf

you can find them on their website.
Ragoo
AG
I disagree

If the hydro-electric is a net zero they should have dewatered in '72 and again in '98 and still again in '02.

The fact that GBRA maintained the lakes long after the economics of the electricity generation was financially beneficial creates a public statute of expectations that the GBRA should be financially responsible for maintaining. They should have requested the state to impose a small tax within the counties it serves to maintain their infrastructure.

There are plenty of people along the lakes who have had significant financial loss due to flooding in parts because of the dams, and who have rebuilt in part because of the dams.

This is a two way street and the GBRA is taking the easy way out.
Alta
AG
Great post. My wife and I were looking at purchasing a house on Mcquenney back in 2015 but a few friends told us to really do our due diligence before doing so because of the dam situation. We ultimately didn't buy the house because the current situation seemed unsustainable and nobody seemed to have a real solution at the time. We were (and still are) bummed about that since we had such great memories on that lake growing up. I think the news of the past week will end up being positive for at least Dunlap and Mcqueeney (and possibly Placid as well). I do not know what the ultimate solution will be but believe a private solution to those dams will be figured out and the recent decision by the GBRA will put some urgency into finding a solution.
Sgt. Hartman
AG
Okay, I fished the river Saturday evening and it was peaceful. No whining jet skis and no ski boats blaring loud music. No wakeboarders making those huge rolling wakes. Just me, the river and the fish.

I really don't care if they ever rebuild the dam.
Caliber
AG
Ragoo said:

I disagree

If the hydro-electric is a net zero they should have dewatered in '72 and again in '98 and still again in '02.

The fact that GBRA maintained the lakes long after the economics of the electricity generation was financially beneficial creates a public statute of expectations that the GBRA should be financially responsible for maintaining. They should have requested the state to impose a small tax within the counties it serves to maintain their infrastructure.

There are plenty of people along the lakes who have had significant financial loss due to flooding in parts because of the dams, and who have rebuilt in part because of the dams.

This is a two way street and the GBRA is taking the easy way out.
It hasn't always been a net zero. According to what they posted, they didn't start having economics issues until Texas' energy deregulation began in 1999. Would definitely take a few years after that for it really pan out as permanently bad economics. So no, they wouldn't have dewatered them back then.

They couldn't just ask the state to create a taxing district. That pretty much has to go to a vote. This action is basically going to force that vote. I would think it'd be a very poor bet to think a tax district had much chance of passing when people didn't see an immediate issue. People are often short sighted, even when their own interests are at stake.

I disagree that this is the easy way out for them. Taking the incredibly unpopular route is definitely not easy. One thing to remember is that GBRA isn't a constant, the managament changes, and the currrent management is paying for a lot of the sins of the past right now.

I'll definitely agree they've made some poor choices in the past, but I'm also not convinced that doing other options would have significantly changed the outcome, outside of kicking the can a few more years down the road. The construction of the dams have a lot of limitations in my opinion and there isn't any kind of funding structure within GBRA for replacement dams that don't serve GBRA purposes.

What would you suggest they do if they keep the lakes full and then the special taxing districts fail? The past is done at this point and the lakes aren't critical to the GBRA's main purposes. They don' t have immunity from lawsuits when some is killed due to that past negligence. They are doing what they can to fix that today. I'm thinking they're betting on an injunction to keep the lake full which they can then use in defense of a lawsuit when another gates breaks.

schmellba99
AG
normaleagle05 said:

MouthBQ98 said:

I don't see how they could build dams almost a century ago that were adequate all this dime but now everything has to be ridiculously overly complex expensive to replace those relatively simple structures. Why would these things NEED to be so overly engineered and built?

There wasn't any regulation of engineering when those were designed so no one stood to lose the license that was tied to their livelihood. Also, contractors were mostly workmen that took pride in the things they built. You can tell because of all the old crap still standing. Now contractors are mostly con-men looking for revenue increasing and time delaying change orders so they can shop materials and subs. You can tell because of the armies of lawyers standing between them and the things they build.

Your design has to account for all that and it is expensive.
Wow.
schmellba99
AG
Sgt. Hartman said:

I wonder if there is any precedent for the legislature sunsetting a state agency to permit reassignment of that agency's duties to another. GBRA has proven to be inept and LCRA has looked better. I wouldn't mind management of the Guad and Blanco watersheds being turned over to them.
Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it.
schmellba99
AG
Ragoo said:

agcivengineer said:

And LCRA manages a river that is 700 miles long and has millions of customers over a diverse geography. They sell water to Austin and the metroplex there for treatment - several million customers. They have significantly larger energy production capabilities and also sell a crap ton of water as you go downstream to farmers for irrigation.

Not exactly an apples to apples comparison with GBRA and their private lakes and 1/100 of the customer base.
schmellba99
AG
Aggie_3 said:

Bottom line GBRA has spent 25 million total on as they say repair and maintenance on all the dams total over the last 55 years according to what they've been saying. That is gross mismanagement
You do realize that $25MM over a 55 year period on submerged structures isn't all that much, right?

And that there are literally hundreds of factors that go into determining what repairs are necessary, when they are necessary, etc. And that often times you can make an inspection on a structure one day and it is is really great shape, but a month later after a major event things can change significantly.

I am not absolving GBRA of wrongdoing - I'm sure there has been mismanagement to some degree. Hell, it's a government agency after all. But the blanket statements made out of anger and likely a high degree of ignorance doesn't make you look good or smart either.

These lakes were created 80+ years ago with the specific purpose of providing power through hydroelectric dams, a metric crap ton of things has changed in that 80 year time frame - including the fact that those hydroelectric dams are small, obsolete and have far outlived their purpose given that there are a great many more efficient power generation sources in the area. The lakes have, as evidenced by this thread, become defacto private lakes for the landowners on those lakes. They have been relegated to pretty much a recreational capacity for the most part. I would argue that they are a source water for treatment, but evidently there are contingencies available because GBRA is willing to drain the lakes.

This is a Guadalupe County/GBRA/landowner issue as it currently stands.
schmellba99
AG
Ragoo said:

Burdizzo said:

there are quite a few Aggies within their management. Sure feels like they are tolerating a lot of theft.
Do you know what the bylaws of the GBRA are? If the answer is no, then this type of statement is garbage.

Hell, in the article linked it even stated that GBRA cannot use funds generated from water sales and wastewater treatment revenue for dam maintenance. Why? I haven't the faintest clue, but surely there is some legislative reason why.

It's more likely a case of hands being tied legislatively than anything, because when these authorities were created and given power, the legislature wasn't thinking about 100 years down the road and what might change between then and now.
Furlock Bones
AG
there's simply not a cogent argument to be made for keeping and fixing the dams at this point.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Furlock Bones said:

there's simply not a cogent argument to be made for keeping and fixing the dams at this point.
The local taxing authorities might chime in.

Anecdote: long ago, my folks had a place on Cedar Creek Reservoir. It was always interesting to drive down some of the streets around the lake. On one side, there would be nice, large, well kept homes with (typically) upmarket cars in the driveway. On the other side, there would be pastureland, some trailers, shabby/unkempt homes, etc. I recall someone telling me that acreage that fronted on the lake was worth at least 5 times land that didn't have water front (and that was for parcels inside of incorporated cities attached to utility districts).

So when lots of very pricey "lake houses" on McQueeny turn into simply "houses" the tax base gets absolutely hammered. A nice home in the middle of nowhere with an unnecessary dock just doesn't have the appeal and exclusivity as a home on a "nearly private" lake.
Ragoo
AG
Furlock Bones said:

depends on the corresponding loss of property value
Burdizzo
AG
Yep, the local taxing authorities are going to take a hickey when the property values drop. They didn't cause the problem, but they get the damage. On the other hand, the GBRA does not exist to provide recreational lakes and high property values. The loss of tax revenue by the local authorities isn't their problem, technically and legally speaking.

This doesn't even factor in the property owners who take a beating on their investments. On the bright side their property taxes are about to drop like a rock in a waterless lake.

This is going to be an interesting legal and financial issue to sort out.

I hear similar issues about Medina Lake. It is a lake that was built and managed to supply irrigation water so the level of the lake can fluctuate wildly, much to the dismay of adjacent recreational landowners. Someone told me a few years ago Bandera County CAD assesses a $1200/LF premium for shoreline property along the lake. And when the property owners complain to BMA, BMA doesn't care. Recreational use of the lake isn't a priority for them.
Caliber
AG
Furlock Bones said:

there's simply not a cogent argument to be made for GBRA keeping and fixing the dams at this point.
FIFY.

There are plenty of arguments for someone else to keep/fix/replace the dams. There just isn't a real argument for GBRA to foot the bill. McQueeny will almost certainly get fixed. Dunlap is a pretty high chance. Placid, is a shmaybe. The rest are done most likely.
Furlock Bones
AG
good fix. but, i'd include the state along with GBRA.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
Burdizzo said:

Yep, the local taxing authorities are going to take a hickey when the property values drop. They didn't cause the problem, but they get the damage. On the other hand, the GBRA does not exist to provide recreational lakes and high property values. The loss of tax revenue by the local authorities isn't their problem, technically and legally speaking.

This doesn't even factor in the property owners who take a beating on their investments. On the bright side their property taxes are about to drop like a rock in a waterless lake.

This is going to be an interesting legal and financial issue to sort out.

Id love to be a fly on the wall in all the upcoming town hall meetings.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.