Outdoors
Sponsored by

Lake McQueeny

49,191 Views | 308 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TXAG 05
Ragoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It really has. And only going to get worse with Veramendi.
fido00
AG
I have lived in NB for about 15 years, and never knew about the golf course on 46. I remember Sundance, but always wondered why Oak Run didn't have TFE land that came up to 46.
Ragoo
AG
It was just a driving range and closed 20+ years ago
TXAG 05
AG
It wasn't a full course, just a driving range. I'm trying to remember when it closed, probably mid 90s
TXAG 05
AG
I wonder if Birdies(formally Lee's Par 3) is still out there off of 725.
Ragoo
AG
Now I really want to go play Landa Park.
Ragoo
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

I wonder if Birdies(formally Lee's Par 3) is still out there off of 725.
no. Gatlyn McDonald bought it some time ago and then went out of business.
fido00
AG
Nvm.
Ragoo
AG
The range was the plot of land where oak tree assisted living is. It was a down hill range. It was a cow pasture if a range.
fido00
AG
I was trying to link a picture, but I suck at the internet. It looks like a really narrow strip of land, though. I think Oak Run started in the early to mid nineties, so it doesn't sound like they coexisted for very long.
Ragoo
AG
fido00 said:

I was trying to link a picture, but I suck at the internet. It looks like a really narrow strip of land, though. I think Oak Run started in the early to mid nineties, so it doesn't sound like they coexisted for very long.
oak run the neighborhood started in the late '80s and started closer to the school the worked towards town. The school was built early '90s. I went to 6th grade there in '95-'96 Everything north of oak run drive and around the club house is the older section. The range wasn't very big and was maybe just a trailer with some grass.
TXAG 05
AG
Definitely wasn't anything fancy, but it was just a couple min from the house
TXAG 05
AG
Strong rumors that GBRA is going to drain McQueeney for liability reasons.
WhoopN06
Oh ****
aggiejumper
AG
We will know Wednesday...will definitely be a packed house at the GBRA meeting. They're trying to show, as a last ditch effort, they care about protecting us and not selling water, won't work, good riddance to GBRA hopefully sooner than later. I'm confident the actions behind the scenes by home owners will create solutions and solve this problem for our lake and hopefully the others.
TXAG 05
AG
I hope so. We have been out there for over 30 years now, they have to figure something out to not take the lake away.
Aggie_3
Holy **** if they really decide to drain the lake wtf is their purpose? Not that I really care too much about McQueeny since there isn't a public boat ramp to a public lake but still
TXAG 05
AG
I'd assume they think this will keep them from he public embarrassment of having another dam break, while pissing off as many people as possible.
Aggie_3
Yeah GBRA is just a **** show
SanAntoneAg
AG
I don't see anything to that effect on tomorrow's agenda.

https://www.gbra.org/documents/board/agenda/190717.pdf?fbclid=IwAR2V8cOghGfRDsRBNi1gd4-e8CBhjOvOBxKXd5zxCqHopNKwM3Y_XhLL8pQ
aggiejumper
AG
#14, they are rumored to use "inspections" as the catalyst to lower the water; they are trying to be smart but there are too many smart people with lots of money on the opposite side.

Remember, it's all about safety now in GBRA's mind, that'll help with public opinion they think...save everyone and their kids from the next damn break, who can't go along with that.

Also, let's say they lower McQueeney and Placid and don't refill them in time for appraisals next year due to "safety" concerns. Guadalupe county and it's schools are about to have significant less money along with all the appraisals getting reset with increase caps each year. It's a big mess.

Here is the news reporting on the lake lowering potentially being discussed.

https://www.ksat.com/news/gbra-to-consider-emptying-four-more-lakes-over-safety-concerns
TXAG 05
AG
After all that, no decisions made today. Can't say I'm too surprised.
TXAG 05
AG
GBRA to drain remaining lakes starting Sept 16
TXAGFAN
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

Wow...
TXAG 05
AG
We are going to have a big party over Labor Day weekend down there, then pull the boat out. Just need to find a trailer.
SquirrellyDan
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

Which lakes does this include?
SanAntoneAg
AG
McQueeney. Placid. Nolte. 4-H.

Dunlap and Wood are drained.
Gig 'em! '90
Beckdiesel03
AG
This really sucks.
JYDog90
AG
SanAntoneAg said:

Dunlap residents are supposedly on an upcoming New Braunfels City Council Agenda to create a special water district to create taxing authority to pay for the dam. But New Braunfels is saying that the city isn't going to participate in the funding of it because it only benefits the residents around Dunlap. This seems really short-sighted to me.

Isn't there a public boat ramp under the bridge for access to Lake Dunlap?
Formerly Willy Wonka
TXAG 05
AG
willie wonka said:

SanAntoneAg said:

Dunlap residents are supposedly on an upcoming New Braunfels City Council Agenda to create a special water district to create taxing authority to pay for the dam. But New Braunfels is saying that the city isn't going to participate in the funding of it because it only benefits the residents around Dunlap. This seems really short-sighted to me.

Isn't there a public boat ramp under the bridge for access to Lake Dunlap?

Yes. There is a ramp under 35
JYDog90
AG
If it's not in the public interest because of even limited public use, it'll be in the public interest when they realize that lakefront homes pay more taxes than mud front homes. I'm sick for everybody along that whole chain.
Formerly Willy Wonka
MouthBQ98
AG
I don't see how they could build dams almost a century ago that were adequate all this dime but now everything has to be ridiculously overly complex expensive to replace those relatively simple structures. Why would these things NEED to be so overly engineered and built?
rather be fishing
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

I don't see how they could build dams almost a century ago that were adequate all this dime but now everything has to be ridiculously overly complex expensive to replace those relatively simple structures. Why would these things NEED to be so overly engineered and built?
I mean the old one did fail. You want to take that chance again?
MAROON
AG
how long is the timeline to rebuild these damns?
SanAntoneAg
AG
rather be fishing said:

MouthBQ98 said:

I mean the old one did fail. You want to take that chance again?

Two old ones failed. And the remaining ones are old, too.
Gig 'em! '90

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.