Outdoors
Sponsored by

Lake McQueeny

48,893 Views | 308 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TXAG 05
AggieStan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Headed there end of June, large family gathering. Any high water issues re damn that burst?

Any recommendations re pontoon rentals

Sb
austinrb10
AG
No, it's down about a foot, but functional. Center hump is still a ***** to navigate if surfing. The Lodge is still producing quality entertainment after a couple Lodgeritas
AggieStan
Never been on the Lake. Must dos/see??
TXAG 05
AG
We've had a house out there since the mid 80s. It's not a very big lake and there's not really any "must see/must dos." On the water, there is the Lodge, but it's members only. Close by food, I'd recommend Clear Springs if you are on the 46 side or Blake's if you are on the 725 side. Otherwise, just go into NB or Seguin.

As far as rentals, the lodge has boats but I don't know if they will rent to non members. Also, there is no public ramp so if your rental doesn't include access to one of the neighborhood ramps, you aren't getting a boat in the water anyway.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
For what it's worth, there is Blacks Bbq where Rudy's used to be
malenurse
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

We've had a house out there since the mid 80s. It's not a very big lake and there's not really any "must see/must dos." On the water, there is the Lodge, but it's members only. Close by food, I'd recommend Clear Springs if you are on the 46 side or Blake's if you are on the 725 side. Otherwise, just go into NB or Seguin.

As far as rentals, the lodge has boats but I don't know if they will rent to non members. Also, there is no public ramp so if your rental doesn't include access to one of the neighborhood ramps, you aren't getting a boat in the water anyway.
I don't think there is a single place to eat in Sequin that is worth even that short of a drive
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
SanAntoneAg
AG
In Seguin, with a g.

1863 Grill, Powerplant.

Lots of Mexican and BBQ that are okay.
Aggie_3
malenurse said:

Cstrickland05 said:

I don't think there is a single place to eat in Sequin that is worth even that short of a drive

We've got the power plant grill is damn good over here in Seguin and then my current favorite place is Saigon bistro
Ragoo
AG
Kirby's is always good
Ragoo
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

clear springs, regular catfish. As a kid we called it Catfish Museum.
TXAG 05
AG
Ragoo said:

Kirby's is always good

That place is still there? Wow. Went there went it opened and all I remember is a little girl peeing her pants, making a big mess, right in front of everyone in the restaurant. We never went back.

Seguin will always be NBs trashy little brother, but it has come a long way recently.

El Ranchito used to be the place to go, but it has gone downhill.

OP-what kind of things were you interested in doing while at the lake?
Ragoo
AG
I forgot about el ranchito on 123. We used to go to the Chinese restaurant over there too.

What was the place called at Terminal and Gallagher? Used to be a little diner restaurant. I remember the chicken fried steak to be legit. But I think it flooded and never reopened.
TXAG 05
AG
That was originally Goerkes, then the daughter bought it and changed it to Pam's. Got flooded out in 98 and they moved to a place on 35, but never had the same success and closed down. That building has been a couple different things since, but never anything like Goerkes. That place was hard to beat, especially since we would walk down to it for dinner or breakfast.
ejdugi
I currently live in Seguin and I would say about the same as everyone here

GO to New Braunfels for food, I mean Seguin has good places but I would go to NB over Seguin any day.

Some good places to eat - Pats Place, Clear Springs, Freiheit (burgers), Blacks BBQ, Gristmill in Gruene

McQueeny is a private lake but my friend runs ski lessons through the lodge and has a boat on the lake if you are looking for personal contacts.
Aggie_3
There is actually a public ramp on lake McQueeny just no where to park once you unload. The ramp is located on a utility easement we used it last year to go fishin but it wasn't in the best shape but it is there. And also McQueeny is not a private lake the people that live on it just tried to make it private and TPWD won't put in a public ramp that's accessible to everyone.
Ragoo
AG
Ah yes Goerkes. I knew it started with a G but couldn't get Grins in San Marcos out of my head.
TXAG 05
AG
There used to be a couple public ramps, Hot Shots, which had big fish frys on Fridays, and was also the only other place besides the Ski Lodge to get gas on the water, but there has been a giant house on top of it for at least 15 years, there was also the marina, but it closed down about 10 years ago and was divided up into tiny lots that they are selling for stupid $$$.

There are too many boats on the water as it is, but it's a whole lot better out there compared to when any moron with a boat could get out there. Saw way too many wrecks or people running into the bridge. It just isn't big enough to support that kind of traffic. Plus, where would you put a ramp? Buy someone out of their house or their land?
Ragoo
AG
Plus, there is a public ramp right down the road under IH-10 with access to placid.
TXAG 05
AG
Ragoo-
Did y'all end up heading down over Memorial Day weekend? How was it?
Ragoo
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

Ragoo-
Did y'all end up heading down over Memorial Day weekend? How was it?
we went to canyon lake. It was fine. A little windy but stayed north of cranes mill and it was fine. Ate at huisache, always excellent.

Was going to hit placid last weekend but had some issues so came back to Houston.
John Cocktolstoy
I miss Placid. Did plenty going up the river from McQueeney...you are right about it being busy around the island.
Second Hardest Workin Man on Texags
SanAntoneAg
AG
Ever do any good fishing on Placid? I've driven over it twice a day for 8 years but have never fished it.
John Cocktolstoy
Yes Sir I have. There is not much water in the Seguin area I have not fished, I grew up there.
JYDog90
AG
On a related note: Was the legislature able to get any emergency funding through for the dam rebuild before sine die?
fido00
AG
This is from the SAEN. TLDR: They did not get the money

NEW BRAUNFELS Guadalupe-Blanco River Authority officials painted a bleak future for Lake Dunlap residents and others who own property along the six lakes under the agency's control, but they remain hopeful that the agency will eventually be able to fund reconstruction of all of its dams.
The agency's six lakes all have dams built in the 1920s and '30s, and two had catastrophic failures. The middle spill gate of the dam at Lake Dunlap collapsed May 14, draining much of the 400-acre lake. In 2016, part of Lake Wood's dam also gave way; it has not been repaired.
On Wednesday, GBRA officials addressed a crowd of about 900 in the New Braunfels Convention Center at a meeting organized by the Preserve Lake Dunlap Association.

"We are terribly sorry we're here under these conditions," GBRA General Manager and CEO Kevin Patteson said. "We stand here with you."
GBRA faces a complex path forward. All six dams need to be replaced, at a cost about $180 million, Patteson said.
GBRA doesn't have the money. The agency gets the majority of its revenue from water sales and wastewater treatment but cannot spend that money on dam repairs. And for years, GBRA's revenue from hydroelectric production has dropped, he said, because of the deregulation of electric market and the emergence of cheap and plentiful natural gas.

Funding the repairs could ultimately require the creation of a special taxing district and partnerships with other governmental entities.
Though multiple agencies and levels of government are working together to find a solution, they've come up empty so far.
State Rep. John Kuempel, R-Seguin, and Sen. Donna Campbell, R-New Braunfels, said they wrote letters, leaned on colleagues and sought legislative relief, but came up short.
"We worked our tails off," Kuempel said. "Without placing blame anywhere in the legislative process, our biggest opponent was timing. If it had failed in February, we would have had a better chance."

Officials had hoped a disaster declaration could bring in federal funding, but the failure didn't meet the criteria of disaster, said Guadalupe County Judge Kyle Kutscher.
After the meeting, he said he felt compelled to explain the county's position on the dam because of multiple comments and questions about whether Guadalupe County could step in with a funding solution.

Kutscher said if property values around the lake dropped by 50 percent, it would negatively impact the county's tax revenue by about $400,000 a year because the county's portion of the tax bill amounts to about 20 percent of each property's total.

That loss is far less than the projected cost of servicing debt if bonds were sold to construct a new dam. The Lake Dunlap project alone is expected to cost $28 million.
GBRA officials estimate that the replacement dam will take about three years to complete nearly a year for design and engineering and about 28 months for construction.
A temporary fix that might restore six of the 12 feet of lost lake level could cost as much as $6 million, Patteson said. He questioned whether that would be the best use of the money.
GBRA is open to suggestions and actively seeking partnerships with other agencies that could help with the funding gap.

Patteson said "anything is on the table" for coming up with a long-term solution, but GBRA won't abandon its six lakes, he said.
Gary Woltersdorf, whose grandparents bought a house on the lake in the 1960s, takes his own grandchildren there now. After the meeting, he said his greatest concern is where the funding will ultimately come from for solving the problem. He didn't fault GBRA for the failure of the decades-old dam.
"It's just a shame this happened," he said. "Nobody knows when something will fail. And everybody wants it to be fixed."
Woltersdorf said he believes there will be a solution, he just doesn't know how long it will take.

"That lake brings in a lot of money to this community," he said.
Property owners around Lake Dunlap now see shallow, muddy water and mud flats where there was once water. Boats have been stranded in the mud, and docks no longer reach the water's edge.
J Harman, president of the lake preservation association, sought unity from those who attended the meeting including property owners from lakes Wood and McQueeney.
"We are from Texas the greatest state in the union," he said, eliciting whoops and applause from the crowd. "We're movers and we're shakers. And Texans don't run from problems. We solve them."

Josh Baugh covers environmental issues in the San Antonio and Bexar County area.

John Cocktolstoy
Need to drop in some beavers and let nature take over.
Beckdiesel03
AG
I would love some tips for Placid. We have only been once and just don't really know the lake well.
On a side note, does this mean GBRA's new office in NB has been squashed?
Aggie_3
Beckdiesel03 said:

I would love some tips for Placid. We have only been once and just don't really know the lake well.
On a side note, does this mean GBRA's new office in NB has been squashed?

Nope that office is already built and in operation
Beckdiesel03
AG
I thought I had read the office would be at the corner of common and hanz and I drive by there every day and have never seen it? Is it back in that business complex?
Ragoo
AG
RIP Sundance
Beckdiesel03
AG
I know, I miss it. I was telling my 7 yo the other day when we drove by that it used to be a golf course and I would go play after work.
TXAG 05
AG
Ragoo said:

RIP Sundance

The driving range/golf course? Forgot all about that place. The one I miss is the on 46 just outside of the loop, by the oak run neighborhood. I think there is a Taco Bell or something on top of it now
Ragoo
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

Ragoo said:

RIP Sundance

The driving range/golf course? Forgot all about that place. The one I miss is the on 46 just outside of the loop, by the oak run neighborhood. I think there is a Taco Bell or something on top of it now
yes. And yeah. Used to take group lessons at the one on 46. Saturday mornings mid '90s. I think the actual land is the nursing home.
Ragoo
AG
Beckdiesel03 said:

I know, I miss it. I was telling my 7 yo the other day when we drove by that it used to be a golf course and I would go play after work.
i played that course probably 200 times during the summer when I was 13-14 years old. $4.33 to play.
TXAG 05
AG
That's right. After posting, I was thinking it was a doctors office or nursing home. That whole strip has changed so much I don't even recognize it when back in town.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.