Outdoors
Sponsored by

Top 25 New BBQ Joints

14,421 Views | 113 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OregonAggie
Swarely
How long do you want to ignore this user?

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/top-25-new-barbecue-joints-texas/

I haven't been to a single one. Have any of y'all?
Van Buren Boy
AG
Number 10 is owned by an Aggie that posts on Texags.
TheOC16
AG
Yes, #6 (1775) is good. Best in B/CS. It's a food truck by the Brazil's River on HWY 60.
lazuras_dc
AG
Made a trip to Mathis for Butters. And it was good.... not top 10 or even killens good but it was the best in corpus area I've had.

My buddy is the exec chef at Guess Family - but I've yet to eat there.
munch96
AG
Blood brothers is pretty good too
C4D
AG
The lack of research is glaring here.

Poor form
StoneCold99
AG
If you're ever in downtown Waco, Guess Family bbq is a must get. Their chipotle jalapeo sausage is the best I've ever had and their brisket is great.
jja79
AG
Second the 1775 in CS recommendation. Reveille is on my to do list.
wadd96
AG
Been to 6 of them...

Black Box
Brotherton's
Brett's
Pustka
Helberg
The Switch

Have had some samples of a few others. Going to try to catch Butler's next weekend on my way home from Rockport.
TXAGFAN
AG
Top 25 seems like a huge number. How many notable new BBQ restaurants can there be in a year. Top 5 would be more meaningful.
AG
1775 is fantastic. Y'all idiots need to stay away so I don't have to wait in line.
Swarely
C4D said:

The lack of research is glaring here.

Poor form

Care to elaborate further?
wadd96
AG
Keep in mind, this is based on 2 years since the last list. In reality, I can count at least another couple of dozen places that opened up that aren't on the list...

It's a great time for Texas BBQ. Rejoice and try some new places you've never heard of...
DallasAggies01
AG
Switch is Aggie owned also. Same guy that owns Stiles Switch in Austin off Lamar.
Enviroag02
AG
#21 Smoke Sessions is fantastic! It's been in a trailer parked at a Royse City feed store/hardware store but they just moved and are in the process of acquiring a space for a restaurant. They have some really good items. The brisket is amazing and the spicy garlic sausage is equally delicious. They do Parmesan crusted ribs, brisket burritos, brisket philly cheese steak, and smoked Mac and cheese. It's by far the best in Rockwall County and maybe in all of North Texas.
jeffk
AG
Reveille's in Magnolia is also really solid.
DoubleE65
AG
Guess in Waco is stellar. Moving in to permanent location soon.
Goodest Poster
AG
Sorry but Blood Brothers,at 4 is funny. When ur best item is mac and cheese u got problems.
Their food is gimmicky and Asian fusion.
Brisket...not a top 30...not worth eating really.
Brisket fried rice...novel way to use left overs but execution is lacking.
Saltgrass ribs are more tender than here.
HEB makes better chicken.
Their sauce has a ton of mustard and sux.
And its crazy expensive.
CactusThomas
AG
Butters is awesome
EMY92
AG
I eat at Guess every week. I even met DoubleE65 there several months ago.
wadd96
AG
The list is in Alphabetical order by CITY, not by ranking. So they could be 1stnorn25th, or anywhere in the middle.
Jefe07
AG
Harlem Road is good. We lack for good bbq down in that area. I've only been once, but I was not surprised to see it on this list.
AgsMnn
AG
#9 needs to advertise on the Politics board.
ChampsAg
Been to 1775, LJ's and Brett's

All are good in their own way and we'll deserved.
Sgt. Hartman
AG
My ancestors who immigrated to Texas in the 1850s are rolling over in their graves at the notion of barbecued octopus being served in Texas. Has to be a communist plot.
AgEng06
AG
Here's my plate from LJ's in July 2018. Brisket, turkey, ribs, mac n cheese, and beans.

C Loves L
Reveille checking in at #12. Coincidence? I think not
maverick2076
Jefe07 said:

Harlem Road is good. We lack for good bbq down in that area. I've only been once, but I was not surprised to see it on this list.

The Witt Pit in Rosenberg is great, and the sausage at Galvan's in Richmond is excellent.
NoahAg
Jefe07 said:

I live just a few minutes away but have never been. I never see anyone in the parking lot. Guess we'll have to try it.
Let's go, Brandon!
javajaws
AG
Went to Brotherton's in Pflugerville today for lunch. Brisket was moist and tender. Could have used more smoke/crust for my tastes but overall it was good not great. Had some sausage as well and found the flavor ok but a little bland for my tastes and the skin was a little tough - but overall better than say what you would get at Rudy's (wurst sausage of any TX bbq joint...pun intended). Sides of beans and creamed corn were ok but uninspiring. BBQ sauce was very good for my tastes - YMMV. Overall it was good not great bbq in a convenient location for me without a wait at 12:30pm on a weekday. I'd go back, but it's not a "destination" joint at this time.

As a comparison...I really like Stiles Switch style BBQ with a little more flavor all around.
Alta
AG
I agree - drive by it pretty frequently and it looks closed 95% of the time.
Jefe07
AG
maverick2076 said:

Jefe07 said:

The Witt Pit in Rosenberg is great, and the sausage at Galvan's in Richmond is excellent.
You're right. I should revise. We lack for snooty list-worthy bbq in that area. Galvan's "worker's special" is my jam for a cheap chopped beef sandwich. But I thought I would be barbecued (hey-oh!) for saying that on this thread.

I really like Witt Pit for everything except their sausage. Tasted like generic store bought stuff. And I'm not a sausage snob.
Jefe07
AG
Alta said:

I agree - drive by it pretty frequently and it looks closed 95% of the time.
I think it's only open for lunch Thursday - Saturday or something. So it probably is closed a lot of the time that you'd drive by.
wadd96
AG
Joints ate listed ilby alphabetical order of their CITY.
CanyonAg77
AG
I offer to sacrifice myself and give #16 a try.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.