Outdoors
Sponsored by

"Texas is losing the War on Feral Hogs"

13,409 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wangus12
buzzardb267
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My daughter is trying to help. BTW, she is 6' tall....
"ROGER - OUT"
ursusguy
AG
Alrighty, time to tackle some reality.

I oversee a fairly large trapping operation that has trapped 1,200+ hogs in the last 2ish years.....in a pretty unlikely location. Especially since I have had pretty much no negative response out of animal welfare. Why, I involved them on the front end and can show assorted humane consideration. Part of that is I control media visuals extremely tightly. I can say that we have seen significant reductions in damage compared to before trapping. But then you run into issues like rain popping up every 7-10 days like Octobee through January.

My program is based off the Fort Worth Nature Center....in ideals, but not all methodology (they put down on site, mine go to Frontier Meats). The manager and I co-present on feral hog management quite a bit over the years. We are running 15-18 corral trapps with Jagger Pro. We principally on drop on sounders (we will pop solitary boars if they get territorial on a trap). Generally I want a minimum of 7 if at all possible, but we have trapped 55 in a trap at one time. We may wait 5-7 nights trying to lure in adjacent sounders too. Very basic, pop the whole sounder you get weeks of control, pop the sounder and 2-3 satellite sounders and you may not see a pig for 6 months. I will say I oversee a couple contract trappers. I have LOTS of guys approach me saying they would trap for free. We'll just stay when they learn my strict standards for humane treatment of the pigs, professionalism, amd trapping methodology (which I will not back off of), they quickly back down. Heck, I am very proud of the fact that out of 1,200+ pigs, only 6 have not made it alive to the processor. That is almost unheard of.

In Texas, and across the Southeast, the realistic birthrate is 1.5 litter per year with an average of 5.6 piglets per litter. So fast, but not quite as fast as seen in popular literature or frequently posted online.

The Sodium nitrite (what TPWD has been working on at the Kerr) and Warfarin (what Australia USED and have since curtailed, and what blew up in Sid Miller's face) are two very different toxins. There were considerable nontarget concerns with the Warfarin based baits (keep in mind Australia doesn't remotely have the population of assorted omnivores that we have). The sodium nitrite is a common food preservative that pigs (and some extent coons) are extremely sensitive to. Effectively they get drunk and pass out dead. As it metabolizes, it is is rendered basically harmless. There were lots of issues with the Warfarin. I was asked to speak at a regional feral hog management workshop. Miller was initially supposed to show up, and unknown to me the organizer was toying with a notion of having me debate him on the matter (I was not really happy to learn this little detail later......I am pretty damned low on the totem pole and he is known to not play nice). Anyway, he didn't show up and had a spokesman from the state Ag Dept show up who ONLY knew the talking points. It was pathetic as hell, me and the biologist from Wildlife Services ended up having to answer to questions for him from the audience. Two or 3 days later the product got pulled. There were lots of "I don't know" or "I'm not sure we've thought about that".
rock08
AG
That's a nice one!

Got this boar tonight

dave99ag
AG
Looks like it'll be awhile longer before sodium nitrate can be used according to this article in May 2018.

Bird deaths a setback in Texas feral hog poison testing
ursusguy
AG
Thanks for posting, hadn't seen that yet. Interesting twist with small granivores getting it.
JYDog90
AG
zooguy96 said:

jwoodmd said:

zooguy96 said:

All shooting pigs does is disperse the group. Which produces more pigs in a greater area.

Trapping is much more effective if done correctly, and kills the entire sounder.
Problem with trapping is you catch the ones that are not as smart. What that does is cause more of the breeding done by the "smarter" ones - thus, it is actually increasing their prowess.
That's anecdotal evidence at best.
Not really. I tried to trap this one hog for almost a year. I got all the others, but this one. He's doing my taxes this year. I think he's cheating me out of deductions. Clever SOB.
SteveBott
AG
I really doubt banning feeders would help that much. Pigs are so good at finding food, and they eat anything including themselves, and smart so they would figure out a way. Just a WAG but a state sponsored sounder trap program might work. See gif in the thread
tx4guns
AG
They'd just cause more crop damage if feeders were banned. Bad idea.
culdeus
AG
Based on what evidence
Apache
AG
Quote:

What that does is cause more of the breeding done by the "smarter" ones - thus, it is actually increasing their prowess.

Here I am worried about our nation turning into a version of an Orwellian "1984", when in fact "Animal Farm" is the real issue in Texas.
Mas89
AG
ursusguy said:

Alrighty, time to tackle some reality.

I oversee a fairly large trapping operation that has trapped 1,200+ hogs in the last 2ish years.....in a pretty unlikely location. Especially since I have had pretty much no negative response out of animal welfare. Why, I involved them on the front end and can show assorted humane consideration. Part of that is I control media visuals extremely tightly. I can say that we have seen significant reductions in damage compared to before trapping. But then you run into issues like rain popping up every 7-10 days like Octobee through January.

My program is based off the Fort Worth Nature Center....in ideals, but not all methodology (they put down on site, mine go to Frontier Meats). The manager and I co-present on feral hog management quite a bit over the years. We are running 15-18 corral trapps with Jagger Pro. We principally on drop on sounders (we will pop solitary boars if they get territorial on a trap). Generally I want a minimum of 7 if at all possible, but we have trapped 55 in a trap at one time. We may wait 5-7 nights trying to lure in adjacent sounders too. Very basic, pop the whole sounder you get weeks of control, pop the sounder and 2-3 satellite sounders and you may not see a pig for 6 months. I will say I oversee a couple contract trappers. I have LOTS of guys approach me saying they would trap for free. We'll just stay when they learn my strict standards for humane treatment of the pigs, professionalism, amd trapping methodology (which I will not back off of), they quickly back down. Heck, I am very proud of the fact that out of 1,200+ pigs, only 6 have not made it alive to the processor. That is almost unheard of.

In Texas, and across the Southeast, the realistic birthrate is 1.5 litter per year with an average of 5.6 piglets per litter. So fast, but not quite as fast as seen in popular literature or frequently posted online.

The Sodium nitrite (what TPWD has been working on at the Kerr) and Warfarin (what Australia USED and have since curtailed, and what blew up in Sid Miller's face) are two very different toxins. There were considerable nontarget concerns with the Warfarin based baits (keep in mind Australia doesn't remotely have the population of assorted omnivores that we have). The sodium nitrite is a common food preservative that pigs (and some extent coons) are extremely sensitive to. Effectively they get drunk and pass out dead. As it metabolizes, it is is rendered basically harmless. There were lots of issues with the Warfarin. I was asked to speak at a regional feral hog management workshop. Miller was initially supposed to show up, and unknown to me the organizer was toying with a notion of having me debate him on the matter (I was not really happy to learn this little detail later......I am pretty damned low on the totem pole and he is known to not play nice). Anyway, he didn't show up and had a spokesman from the state Ag Dept show up who ONLY knew the talking points. It was pathetic as hell, me and the biologist from Wildlife Services ended up having to answer to questions for him from the audience. Two or 3 days later the product got pulled. There were lots of "I don't know" or "I'm not sure we've thought about that".
The Houston Chronicle article stated Australia was using sodium nitrite in one area for poison and they had reduced the feral hog population by 89 percent.

A google search showed LSU is studying encapsulating sodium nitrite into a fish bait for hogs. I guess if it was nasty enough only a hog would eat it.

ursusguy
AG
Yeah, Australia went from Warfarin to looking at the sodium nitrite. The issue is Austraila doesn't have the variety of onmivores that the US has, they can move on things a bit faster. They used warfarin for years until realizing that was bad. The time from ingeation to death wasn't nearly as fast as claimed.
jwoodmd
tx4guns said:

That's just an out to say a feeder not only increases the docile nature of deer so they are easier to shoot but it helps control damage caused by feral hogs. Sorry, don't buy that.

Now, I'll agree the level to which feeders help increase the feral hog population is debatable. I know it's anecdotal, but rancher friends who have neighbors with feeders seem to have more hog problems. On my land, I'm lucky all my neighbors are against feeders. While still a problem it appears to be less.
Apache
AG
Quote:

That's just an out to say a feeder not only increases the docile nature of deer so they are easier to shoot but it helps control damage caused by feral hogs. Sorry, don't buy that.

Now, I'll agree the level to which feeders help increase the feral hog population is debatable. I know it's anecdotal, but rancher friends who have neighbors with feeders seem to have more hog problems.
I don't think 5 seconds of flinging corn would sate the hunger of even a 20 pound hog much less a sounder.
jwoodmd
PJYoung said:

The bait used for that trap resembles the deer feeder spreads. Mmm.
PJYoung
AG
PJYoung said:

There's a war on feral hogs in Texas, and the hogs are winning.

Quote:

Warfarin is a slow and ugly death for anything bigger than a rat, causing internal bleeding, cramping, suffocation and aneurysms. Hogs subjected to it take two days to three weeks to die, and any scavengers that eat the meat often die too. That, more than anything, persuaded Australian authorities to ban its use. "Ranchers would go out at night and hear the pigs screaming in pain," Herring says. "Just screaming through the night."

There were other reasons for skepticism. The Texas Hog Hunters Association raised concerns about the possibility of people shooting and consuming poisoned hogs; many of the meat processors voiced similar worries. The ecologically minded were worried about the secondary poisoning of birds of prey, scavengers or family pets. With a single feeding station costing $1,200 and dosages around $150, even landowners who supported the use of poison questioned the cost. Others were concerned that poisoned pigs would wander onto their property, or that the poison might end up in the soil or water.
Prince_Ahmed
willie wonka said:

zooguy96 said:

jwoodmd said:

zooguy96 said:

All shooting pigs does is disperse the group. Which produces more pigs in a greater area.

Trapping is much more effective if done correctly, and kills the entire sounder.
Problem with trapping is you catch the ones that are not as smart. What that does is cause more of the breeding done by the "smarter" ones - thus, it is actually increasing their prowess.
Not really. I tried to trap this one hog for almost a year. I got all the others, but this one. He's doing my taxes this year. I think he's cheating me out of deductions. Clever SOB.
Dude. That's the very definition of anecdotal. You're basing your assertion that "you catch the ones that are not as smart" as it applies to pig trapping in general, based on your very limited experiences. Even if you have a lifetime of hog trapping, you're only one person.

Definition of anecdotal

Merriam-Webster
based on or consisting of reports or observations of usually unscientific observers

Cambridge
based on reports or things someone saw rather than on proven facts

Oxford
not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research.
jwoodmd
Prince_Ahmed said:

willie wonka said:

zooguy96 said:

jwoodmd said:

zooguy96 said:

Dude. That's the very definition of anecdotal. You're basing your assertion that "you catch the ones that are not as smart" as it applies to pig trapping in general, based on your very limited experiences. Even if you have a lifetime of hog trapping, you're only one person.

Definition of anecdotal

Merriam-Webster
based on or consisting of reports or observations of usually unscientific observers

Cambridge
based on reports or things someone saw rather than on proven facts

Oxford
not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research.
Dude. He's not just one person. Others, including myself, have taken that same position. There are lots of people with experience, so while debatable, it is not just one person's anecdote.

BTW, the dictionary definition was obnoxious and not OB worthy.
JSKolache
AG
PANHANDLE10 said:

The average deer hunter in Texas feeds hundreds of pounds of corn a MONTH year. Maybe shoots a handful of hogs and STILL believes that they are helping.
FIFY
The Lost Hondo
AG
Ahmed, go back and read Willie Wonka's post again. Your sense of humor might need a tune up.
Build It
AG
Stop feeding the wildlife
insulator_king
AG
Contraception. Delivered by dart gun?
Catch, sterilize, release. Ala feral cats?
magnumtmp
AG
insulator_king said:

Contraception. Delivered by dart gun?
Catch, sterilize, release. Ala feral cats?

So, you're saying........

"Shoot 'em in the Nutz!!!!!"
ursusguy
AG
Doesn't work with feral cats either unless done absolutely perfect. Contraception in wildlife has not worked effectively in anything but a closed system....high fence or island.
tamc93
AG
Just deer at my feeders tonight....have not seen any hogs in a few months.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
wangus12
AG
zooguy96 said:

You just aren't attacking the problem with the appropriate base of fire and weaponry

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.