Outdoors
Sponsored by

"Texas is losing the War on Feral Hogs"

13,590 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wangus12
jwoodmd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KW02 said:

We see very few during daylight hours but still shoot on sight. However, that does not put a dent in the population. We have small traps too but they are getting smart enough not to go in them. We need to build/buy a large pen trap.
Careful, if you say they are getting smart enough to not go into the traps, you'll be called an idiot.
zooguy96
AG
jwoodmd said:

zooguy96 said:

jwoodmd said:

zooguy96 said:

All shooting pigs does is disperse the group. Which produces more pigs in a greater area.

Trapping is much more effective if done correctly, and kills the entire sounder.
Problem with trapping is you catch the ones that are not as smart. What that does is cause more of the breeding done by the "smarter" ones - thus, it is actually increasing their prowess.
That's anecdotal evidence at best. Again, if done correctly, trapping will remove the entire sounder. It has been done successfully for 15+ years in a number of different locations in the state.
And yet in that 15+ years the population still continues to grow rapidly.
The type of trapping I'm talking about isn't done extensively. Most "pig management" is shooting on sight or using smaller traps which are less effective. The type I'm talking about is very labor intensive, but gets results.
So of course the population is still growing given that this technique is not widely utilized.

Therefore, your "insinuation" that this management technique doesn't work because "the population still continues to grow rapidly" is not based on the fact that this management technique isn't widely used - its based on the fact that pigs are being dispersed (because of ineffective management techniques) and most "management techniques" are not effective (let's go shoot some pigs! - is not effective).
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
jwoodmd
zooguy96 said:

jwoodmd said:

zooguy96 said:

jwoodmd said:

zooguy96 said:

All shooting pigs does is disperse the group. Which produces more pigs in a greater area.

Trapping is much more effective if done correctly, and kills the entire sounder.
Problem with trapping is you catch the ones that are not as smart. What that does is cause more of the breeding done by the "smarter" ones - thus, it is actually increasing their prowess.
That's anecdotal evidence at best. Again, if done correctly, trapping will remove the entire sounder. It has been done successfully for 15+ years in a number of different locations in the state.
And yet in that 15+ years the population still continues to grow rapidly.
The type of trapping I'm talking about isn't done extensively. Most "pig management" is shooting on sight or using smaller traps which are less effective. The type I'm talking about is very labor intensive, but gets results.
So of course the population is still growing given that this technique is not widely utilized.
Then we're likely not in disagreement. If you can trap a full sounder then that will change results but all the ranchers around mine have been saying the same thing about old methods aren't working as the hogs are getting more savvy (I won't use "smarter"). I also think all the deer feeders is a huge problem for feral hog population but I know I'm going to get skewered for saying such a thing. Incoming!!
zooguy96
AG
The technique I'm discussing is used at the Fort Worth Nature Center. They haven't had a huge hog problem there in years. It involved a large pen trap with a guillotine gate on each end and monitoring pig activity constantly. Traps aren't moved. They have 2 or 3 traps over 5,000 acres which were strategically placed where pigs were found. Once they kill the entire sounder, they have no pig issues for 12-18 months. Rinse and repeat.
jwoodmd
zooguy96 said:

The technique I'm discussing is used at the Fort Worth Nature Center. They haven't had a huge hog problem there in years. It involved a large pen trap with a guillotine gate on each end and monitoring pig activity constantly. Traps aren't moved. They have 2 or 3 traps over 5,000 acres which were strategically placed where pigs were found. Once they kill the entire sounder, they have no pig issues for 12-18 months. Rinse and repeat.

Sounds very promising
Secolobo
AG
SunrayAg said:

Maybe the government should start subsidizing thermal scopes and ammunition to help us fix the problem. Or at least make them tax deductible...
don't forget silencers!
Can I go to sleep Looch?
PooDoo
AG
Thought y'all might find this interesting

Bids for hog trapping
https://dallascityhall.com/government/Council%20Meeting%20Documents/bfa_2_upcoming-agenda-items_022117.pdf
tx4guns
AG
Put a $10 bounty on each pig, and you'll see their numbers decline rapidly.
P.U.T.U
AG
While shooting them is fun large traps are a ton better. We went out one weekend and shot 10 so we felt pretty good. The land owner put up some large traps the following weekend on the areas we told him to and they trapped 42 in one day.
TwoMarksHand
AG
tx4guns said:

Disagree
PJYoung
AG
PJYoung
AG
There's a war on feral hogs in Texas, and the hogs are winning.
country
AG
My brother and I have shot 93 hogs on our ranch in Kimble County since September. Our hunters shot 63 hogs during hunting season. We've had the ranch flown twice in the same time span in which they got 54 and 47. That's 257 hogs that have been shot in a 7 month window. We will start all over again at some point this year with similar numbers just as we have the past 8 years. There is no stopping them unless there is a legitimate statewide effort to do so. Otherwise it doesn't matter what an individual does to help their property because more will just move in. I just don't think people realize the problems they are creating out of a desire to have them around for recreational hunting. They need to be eradicated. Entirely.
zooguy96
AG
Say there's 5,000,000 pigs in Texas (probably more). That's $50,000,000 potentially for a $10 bounty. Would never happen IMHO.
78_Pacecar
AG
Start trapping them then dumping them in Suburbia. That should garner some attention.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
PJYoung said:

Fishing Fools
http://txagtalks.texasfarmbureau.org/peta-wants-no-feral-hog-left-behind/

The world has done gone crazy!

https://share.icloud.com/photos/03EkZaqEtqMnKmp-3F9c3hvdg
zooguy96
AG
Fishing Fools said:

Such dumbasses.
Post removed:
by user
CentralTXag
AG
Country - where is your ranch in Kimble Co.? We have a ranch north of Junction off of US 83. We used to have pigs (and they were increasing in numbers), but they left during the drought and have not come back (yet). I worry all the time that they'll be back (and we had no where near the numbers you're talking about).
C Loves L
One of my best friend's wife thinks its wrong to kill a hog and leave it. I've hammered in the facts of how much damage they cause each year and how quickly they reproduce.

Nothing has gotten her to even budge. People can be extremely shortsighted
magnumtmp
AG
FAT SEXY said:

Fishing Fools said:

The world has done gone crazy!

Once again the bleeding hearts prove they have no logic.

Bleeding hearts and bleeding brains.
country
AG
We are in the Segovia area in the Blue Mountains. That area has always had more of a hog problem than north and west, but it has escalated at an astonishing pace the past 10 years. We used to shoot 30-40 max on the ranch.....and at those numbers they put us out of the sheep business.
PANHANDLE10
country said:

My brother and I have shot 93 hogs on our ranch in Kimble County since September. Our hunters shot 63 hogs during hunting season. We've had the ranch flown twice in the same time span in which they got 54 and 47. That's 257 hogs that have been shot in a 7 month window. We will start all over again at some point this year with similar numbers just as we have the past 8 years. There is no stopping them unless there is a legitimate statewide effort to do so. Otherwise it doesn't matter what an individual does to help their property because more will just move in. I just don't think people realize the problems they are creating out of a desire to have them around for recreational hunting. They need to be eradicated. Entirely.

Interesting, I am always impressed by people who keep good records. I am in the Panhandle where pigs are few and far between. I'm making an assumption that your property has feeders at least part of the year. What impact do you think taking all the deer feeders away would have on your property? Just for conversation's sake. I get that paying deer hunters want feeders.

It would be interesting to take the corn away and then see what the numbers were like.
aad03
AG
chris1515 said:

I have an uncle that traps and sells a couple hundred hogs a year...and it barely pays the fuel to drive around and check the traps. It's more of a hobby for him.

Pretty sure if I told him other folks were buying nice trucks with their trapping proceeds, he would laugh.

I'm a trapper, and I was about to say the same thing. There is no money in selling hogs, like some people tend to think.

The money is in pitching the service to a neighborhood of people that are terrified of feral hogs. Put out a few traps, tell them you need X amount of money per month to control the wild hogs in the area. Even then, not very much money. My HOA has about $20k in the budget for hog control.
Class of '03
HalifaxAg
AG
What we need is an apex predator....unfortunately ranchers aren't going to want that.
scottimus
AG
I can build an Apex predator that every farmer/rancher in Texas would pay for....up front.

But rules are rules.

Mark Fairchild
AG
Here in Rockport we have them encroaching into the public park to get to water. They have completely destroyed all of the vegetation on one side of the park. The park is surrounded by private property that is up for sale. There isn't much that can be done on public property besides perhaps trapping. Have seen their defecation and their prints and it is a sizable herd. Not good when they are bumping up against the public in a park that is used quite extensively from 6:00am in the morning to 11:00pm at night. Park also has a small and large dog park and walking trails.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
country
AG
We do have deer feeders that run 3 months per year. I don't think removing them would change the numbers a single bit. We used to laugh at people southeast of us that would talk in terms of the numbers I just did. We laughed until the hogs finally moved to our area and they will continue moving northwest. At some points the panhandle will not be able to say there aren't many hogs. It's just the nature of the exploding population.
BQ_90
AG
country said:

We do have deer feeders that run 3 months per year. I don't think removing them would change the numbers a single bit. We used to laugh at people southeast of us that would talk in terms of the numbers I just did. We laughed until the hogs finally moved to our area and they will continue moving northwest. At some points the panhandle will not be able to say there aren't many hogs. It's just the nature of the exploding population.
Think,of,those that feed year round. I can't see how providing a high quality food source isn't adding to the problem. But nobody will ever say that out loud
BQ_90
AG
zooguy96 said:

Say there's 5,000,000 pigs in Texas (probably more). That's $50,000,000 potentially for a $10 bounty. Would never happen IMHO.
This article says they are doing 500 million in damage annually.

http://bri.sulross.edu/pubs/borderlandsnews/BN_2016_11.pdf

Although I'm sure you're right, not sure who would pony up the money anyway.
country
AG
BQ_90 said:

country said:

Think,of,those that feed year round. I can't see how providing a high quality food source isn't adding to the problem. But nobody will ever say that out loud

While I see the point of this arguement I just think it is simplifying the issue a little much. Assume a high quality food source adds 2 piglets per litter. I suppose 6 per litter is better than 8 but it still doesn't slow the exponential growth. Take away all feeders in the state and the hog population is still growing and still has to go somewhere.
Mas89
AG
SunrayAg said:

Maybe the government should start subsidizing thermal scopes and ammunition to help us fix the problem. Or at least make them tax deductible...
Well duh. Of course those qualify as farm expenses. Use your imagination.
SanAntoneAg
AG
tx4guns said:

Guadalupe County currently has a bounty of $5 per hog tail. I believe the bounty goes through September. Will be interesting to see how many are submitted and the payout.

That all being said, I'm not confident that the bounty will have much of an effect on the county's overall population.
Mas89
AG
Doc Hayworth said:

I believe you're referring to sodium nitrate. Yes, it will kill them, but then you have to worry about the chain of death following with The vultures and other animals that clean up carcasses.
If they can prove it's target specific, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but they can't .
Just don't clean a hog if the fat is blue.
Sodium Nitrite. The newspaper article about its use in Australia and the Kerr wildlife area study was in the Houston Chronicle on July 25, 2013. At the time the study had been going on for 3 years at Kerr.

The full page story is still tacked to the wall of my camphouse. Sounded real promising...
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.