Outdoors
Sponsored by

"Texas is losing the War on Feral Hogs"

13,412 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wangus12
Post removed:
by user
SharkinAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is giddings fault
Breggy Popup
AG
That blows my mind that we need to kill almost 2.5x what we are killing now just to keep the numbers static.
SteveBott
AG
70% per year? Holy Sheet.
Post removed:
by user
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
dlance said:

That blows my mind that we need to kill almost 2.5x what we are killing now just to keep the numbers static.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
agfan2013
AG
FAT SEXY said:

I think you guys low key love having an abundant feral hog population to hunt whenever.

People who lease land to hunt and hunting guides do. The actual landowners usually don't though, not much fun when it's your own pastures they are tearing up and causing lots of damage to.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
Tannerite, the answer is tannerite.
sunchaser
AG
The answer is helicopters and some shooters that don't miss....
Mas89
AG
sunchaser said:

The answer is helicopters and some shooters that don't miss....
In the middle of a huge open field with no cover nearby. Much fun.
ought1ag
AG
pretty sure they can have 2-3 litters a year at 8-10 pigglets.......doesnt take long
ArbAg
AG
Is this just a discreet way of saying that t.u. has again lost to the ark pigs?
magnumtmp
AG
Has anyone tried trapping and selling? I've thought about it, but haven't looked into it. I can build/modify a custom trailer to keep the overhead low.....
Mas89
AG
What the hell ever happened with the hog poison Australia has been using for years which wiped our their wild hog population? TPWD was studying it at the Kerr facility last I heard. Supposedly for future use in Texas.
zooguy96
All shooting pigs does is disperse the group. Which produces more pigs in a greater area.

Trapping is much more effective if done correctly, and kills the entire sounder.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
TwoMarksHand
AG
If we really wanted to get rid of the hogs, we would make hunting/shooting them illegal.

Go to straight trapping.
dr_boogs
AG
ought1ag said:

pretty sure they can have 2-3 litters a year at 8-10 pigglets.......doesnt take long

You're right on the money. Gestation length for hogs is 3 months, 3 weeks, and 3 days. At least that's what it is for commercial/production pigs.
Caliber
AG
Well, that's what you get when dealing with an animal that can breed by 6 months of age, reproduces up to 3x per year, have a gestation period of 3 months, 3 weeks and 3 days with a litter size of up to 12, of which approximately 18 per litter will survive to maturity.
Doc Hayworth
I believe you're referring to sodium nitrate. Yes, it will kill them, but then you have to worry about the chain of death following with The vultures and other animals that clean up carcasses.
If they can prove it's target specific, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but they can't .
Just don't clean a hog if the fat is blue.
jwoodmd
zooguy96 said:

All shooting pigs does is disperse the group. Which produces more pigs in a greater area.

Trapping is much more effective if done correctly, and kills the entire sounder.
Problem with trapping is you catch the ones that are not as smart. What that does is cause more of the breeding done by the "smarter" ones - thus, it is actually increasing their prowess.
tony
AG
So what's the natural limit of hogs look like in various areas of Texas? How many could be supported on a given tract of land?
zooguy96
jwoodmd said:

zooguy96 said:

Problem with trapping is you catch the ones that are not as smart. What that does is cause more of the breeding done by the "smarter" ones - thus, it is actually increasing their prowess.
That's anecdotal evidence at best. Again, if done correctly, trapping will remove the entire sounder. It has been done successfully for 15+ years in a number of different locations in the state.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
giddings_ag_06
AG
I'm going to step up my game and go shoot some this evening now!!
SanAntoneAg
AG
tony said:

So what's the natural limit of hogs look like in various areas of Texas? How many could be supported on a given tract of land?

Please define "a given tract of land."
AggiePetro07
AG
So the rattlesnakes will get even quieter?

Sonova*****
sunchaser
AG
It is a great tool, if done correctly, but a ton of work. If you are hiring a trapper you need one that wants to rid the world of feral pigs rather than one that wants a career. You get that career guy and you may find out he caught the whole sounder but he released the ones that he couldn't sell.....so he can catch them again another day.

It was probably 15 years ago when three teenagers approached a rancher friend about hunting hogs on his place. He said no but I'll make you a deal. He told them that he would supply traps, bait etc. They had to do all the work and he got 25% of the sales price. The sales price was good and in slightly over two years one kid bought a new Tahoe and paid cash. The other two bought trucks....both were Fords.
BlueSmoke
Seems shooting them - picking them off piecemeal, generally the larger ones first, just remove barriers to entry for the smaller ones. Trapping them? Expensive and time consuming, especially if our place is far away (can't get out quickly and they die in the trap). Not sure what the solution is?

We don't have any in south Runnels/Coleman county, but they sure are in the northern part where the acorns are. When I head by Hall's in Coleman, always trucks backed up unloading pigs.
Nobody cares. Work Harder
SunrayAg
AG
Maybe the government should start subsidizing thermal scopes and ammunition to help us fix the problem. Or at least make them tax deductible...
chris1515
AG
I have an uncle that traps and sells a couple hundred hogs a year...and it barely pays the fuel to drive around and check the traps. It's more of a hobby for him.

Pretty sure if I told him other folks were buying nice trucks with their trapping proceeds, he would laugh.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Introduce more cougars into the area.

Or is that to appease the male 18-22 year old crowd?
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
AggiePetro07 said:

So the rattlesnakes will get even quieter?

Sonova*****
KW02
AG
We see very few during daylight hours but still shoot on sight. However, that does not put a dent in the population. We have small traps too but they are getting smart enough not to go in them. We need to build/buy a large pen trap.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
jwoodmd said:

zooguy96 said:

Reverse Feral Swine Idiocracy.
PANHANDLE10
The average deer hunter in Texas feeds hundreds of pounds of corn a year. Maybe shoots a handful of hogs and STILL believes that they are helping.
jwoodmd
zooguy96 said:

jwoodmd said:

zooguy96 said:

That's anecdotal evidence at best. Again, if done correctly, trapping will remove the entire sounder. It has been done successfully for 15+ years in a number of different locations in the state.
And yet in that 15+ years the population still continues to grow rapidly.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.