Outdoors
Sponsored by

Cowboy Hat X

16,660 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AggieCowboy
bam02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgCWby90CS48 said:

CT'97 said:

HisWorthyness said:

https://catalenahatters.com/pages/felt-hat-guide

This is a good guide for felt hats. This is a company in Bryan that has been family owned for years. I have 2 felt 20X's that have held up through many rodeo seasons and dancing sessions. I am looking to get one of their straw hats which I believe they sell American which someone mentioned above.
Catalena is a great hater and I have a couple from them. Their explanation is good, if you are only going to wear it lightly for occasional dress events or a night out dancing then a lower number of X's will work fine. If you wear the hat daily and punish it then you need a higher quality hat to withstand the use.
Wear mine every day. Last one I had made was from Paris Hatters in San Antonio. It was a good hat. The one I have now is a 7X by Rodeo King and it has done well but it needs to be cleaned and blocked and relegated to a work hat. One thing I have done with this one is when I clean it then I'll spray starch on it and wear it dry. By the time it's dry it fits better and is a bit stiffer. Has not effected the hat in any negative way that I can tell.
Need to have another made for the fall. Any other hatters close to San Antonio? Alpine and Bryan are to far drive.

http://www.herbshats.com
SD_71
AG
Apples to Oranges
AgCWby90CS
AG
Colonel A. 1976 said:

High Breahm Hats in New Braunfels, one of the few true hat makers left. Donnie is a true artist will make a hate from a blank into a masterpiece. Give him a call he'll help you out
Good Ag class of 1976....THE CENTENNIAL CLASS
Best hat I've ever owned and I've been wearing a hat since the early 80's. Donnie did a great job and good to talk with.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
+1 for Texas Hatters, in Lockhart. Pretty much wear one of his, every day. Just get the pure beaver, and be done with it.

I have three - a summer weight (thinner felt, and was unlined - will be lined with cotton lawn, winter weight - lined with silk, and one for wear with a suit.

They get better feeling, and looking, when TX hatters has to clean them/press the bruising out, etc.

One of the more painful wastes of money, was a 7X Resistol I bought after high school. A rabbit fur hat costs at least 50% of what one of David's pure beaver hats costs, and isn't worth spit compared to one.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
With that said, if you can find a high-end vintage hat, back when they still graded beaver pelts, a hat of that quality can no longer be purchased.

Frankly, it would be too nice to wear on a regular basis, but they are lovely.
agfan2013
AG
I remember seeing this thread back when it was originally started, I didn't have a felt hat at the time so had nothing to add. I've had a straw from Catalena for a few years but I finally broke down and wanted to get a felt so I went in and got one from them too. Side note: don't go on a Saturday during football season, a lot of out of towners stop by and it's a madhouse in there, go during the week and they'll have a lot more time to answer any questions and comments you have.

Anyways, they pretty much confirmed what a lot of guys posted in here. 10X black is the most common hat they sell, but it's not really designed to hold up to lots of abuse and the elements. I asked what level hat they'd recommend for one that would be worked in and worn a couple times a week, they said get their second of four levels (20X). I've been very pleased with it so far.
GasPasser97
AG
HartWorm93 said:

Sounds like I'm in a 1X marriage.

Shut it down, folks

POTY
EFE
AG
www.warbonnethatworks.commakes a hell of a nice felt hat. If you're in Vegas this week go see them at South Point.
CactusThomas
AG
I disagree with a lot of people on this thread. The general consensus is that you need a high end (pure beaver) hat if you wear it daily but a blend is ok for the guy that only wears it for dinner, dancing, etc.

I find the opposite to be true. The beaver hats hold their shape. The blends need to be re steamed often to fit. Someone mentioned that the lower end hats get ruined after being steamed a few times. That's bs. Steam wont harm a rabbit fur hat. In fact, the rabbit hat needs steams damn near every time you put it on if you're not wearing it regularly.

A nice beaver hat will fit whenever you put it on, even if you're not wearing it everyday.
AgCWby90CS
AG
CactusThomas said:

I disagree with a lot of people on this thread. The general consensus is that you need a high end (pure beaver) hat if you wear it daily but a blend is ok for the guy that only wears it for dinner, dancing, etc.

I find the opposite to be true. The beaver hats hold their shape. The blends need to be re steamed often to fit. Someone mentioned that the lower end hats get ruined after being steamed a few times. That's bs. Steam wont harm a rabbit fur hat. In fact, the rabbit hat needs steams damn near every time you put it on if you're not wearing it regularly.

A nice beaver hat will fit whenever you put it on, even if you're not wearing it everyday.
Agreed
rich1
AG
How would a 20+ year old Resistal Black Gold rate on the X scale now? It says 20X Beaver. The price on the box was 420.00. Am I sitting on a gold mine?
CactusThomas
AG
What you have is a very nice hat. Not a goldmine.
CatsHats
Hey everyone, my name is Scott Catalena (with Catalena Hatters) and I've been watching this thread with interest for a while. Since I caught it with the current activity I decided to make an account and jump on here. I'm not going to try and sell y'all or BS anyone, just here if anyone has any questions.
EFE
AG
Cats Hats and Kittens Mittens
AgEng06
AG
EFE said:

Cats Hats and Kittens Mittens
AggieCowboy
AG
As already stated, I highly recommend Shortys in Oklahoma City.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.