Outdoors
Sponsored by

Cowboy Hat X

16,607 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AggieCowboy
Gus Fring
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone around here know anything as it relates to the X rating of Resistol. There isn't any metric that is used across the board for different hatters (is. Stetson, American Hat Co, Seratelli, etc.) Evrything I've been able to determine is that every hat company has their own X system. So there isn't anything that is standard.
sunchaser
AG
The X rating has inflated "slightly" over the years. A 40's Stetson 5X is the equivalent of today's 100X. Likewise the price of a Stetson versus Resistol might a better indicator than X's since they are made by the same company.

Centerpole is your hat guy. He gets his made in Alpine. The last one he got there was a 10X-9Y-4Z. I don't know whether it's the Y or Z but one of those is the cotton content.
CT'97
AG
What you are using the hat for will determine what X number you are interested as well.
country
AG
In today's world the X scale has pretty much lost all standardized meaning. It used to refer to the quality and percentage of beaver fur in the hat mix. A 10x hat was made of 100% beaver fur that had received the highest quality rating. A 2x hat was made of 20% high quality beaver with the remainder being rabbit or some other fur. Then the hat industry saw that people were willing to spend stupid more money for Xs without having any idea what it means. That is when the 20X, 50X, 100X, 500K, 1000K etc started showing up. There just isn't any standard anymore. A typical 4 or 5 today doesn't have any beaver in it.
CactusThomas
AG
Are you asking about resistol shantung Panama or fur blend?
Gus Fring
Just wish there was a true grade to know what's sh** and what's a hit
CactusThomas
AG
I've been through a few Resistol hats. Liked all of them. Straw and felt. I'm trying to help you out but don't even know what you are looking for.

Its about to be warm so I'll guess you are looking at straw. I have moved on to American for straw hats. The Resistols are very nice but get sweat stained very quickly. If you're only wanting the hat for a season, you're good either way.
HisWorthyness
AG
https://catalenahatters.com/pages/felt-hat-guide

This is a good guide for felt hats. This is a company in Bryan that has been family owned for years. I have 2 felt 20X's that have held up through many rodeo seasons and dancing sessions. I am looking to get one of their straw hats which I believe they sell American which someone mentioned above.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
Resistol has a couple of straw hats with what they call a Dri-lex sweatband that really helps keep them from getting sweat stained. I've got one that I've worn through several summers now. It's a little beat up looking at this point, but it doesn't look sweated out.

I've had a couple of hats refurbished at Catalena Hatters & they seem to know their stuff.
dr_boogs
AG
HisWorthyness said:

This is a good guide for felt hats. This is a company in Bryan that has been family owned for years. I have 2 felt 20X's that have held up through many rodeo seasons and dancing sessions. I am looking to get one of their straw hats which I believe they sell American which someone mentioned above.
Can't say enough good things about Catalena Hatters. Good people, terrific business, great customer service. Go check them out next time you're in town.
Gus Fring
Seems like Catelena is one of the only companies that explains their X grading systems. Everyone else just has numbers.
Gus Fring
Wonder how much beaver is in my Stetson 6x. Anyone know?
HartWorm93
AG
Sounds like I'm in a 1X marriage.
Old Town Ag
AG
HisWorthyness said:

I have a Catalena Hatters 5X Beaver. They have changed there X system over the years as well.
Mas89
AG
Different opinions on how many xxxxx's men like beaver and wool to have. But generally speaking the more x's the more they cost.
CT'97
AG
HisWorthyness said:

Catalena is a great hater and I have a couple from them. Their explanation is good, if you are only going to wear it lightly for occasional dress events or a night out dancing then a lower number of X's will work fine. If you wear the hat daily and punish it then you need a higher quality hat to withstand the use.
Kozmozag
I like more beaver.
CactusThomas
AG
Gus Fring said:

Wonder how much beaver is in my Stetson 6x. Anyone know?

Less than 10 percent beaver. But your hat is in fact a beaver blend.
Canyon99
Ordered and received a 50x Silverbelly from Catalena Hatters earlier this year. I will be ordering another felt in a different color next year from them. Great experience and even better hat.
Aggieangler93
AG
HartWorm93 said:

Sounds like I'm in a 1X marriage
ROFL
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
AgCWby90CS
AG
CT'97 said:

HisWorthyness said:

Catalena is a great hater and I have a couple from them. Their explanation is good, if you are only going to wear it lightly for occasional dress events or a night out dancing then a lower number of X's will work fine. If you wear the hat daily and punish it then you need a higher quality hat to withstand the use.
Wear mine every day. Last one I had made was from Paris Hatters in San Antonio. It was a good hat. The one I have now is a 7X by Rodeo King and it has done well but it needs to be cleaned and blocked and relegated to a work hat. One thing I have done with this one is when I clean it then I'll spray starch on it and wear it dry. By the time it's dry it fits better and is a bit stiffer. Has not effected the hat in any negative way that I can tell.
Need to have another made for the fall. Any other hatters close to San Antonio? Alpine and Bryan are to far drive.
CWby '90
CactusThomas
AG
Texas Hatters in Lockhart
Colonel A. 1976
AG
High Breahm Hats in New Braunfels, one of the few true hat makers left. Donnie is a true artist will make a hate from a blank into a masterpiece. Give him a call he'll help you out
Good Ag class of 1976....THE CENTENNIAL CLASS
Col. A 1976
AggieFabricator
HisWorthyness said:

Second on Catalena, just bought a 10X for a wedding I was in recently, it's held up exceptionally well and I'm rough on hats.
The Pale Rider
I show and train Cowhorses so I've been through a number of hats over the years. If you're looking for a hat that you're going to wear occasionally where you aren't going to abuse it that much than a 7 or a 10x will suit you just fine. That's all I used to wear in the past but got tired of having to buy a new one every 2 years because you can only get them resteamed a few times before it ruins the hat. I recently invested in a 100x Shortys Caboy Hattery Custom hat and have been real happy with it. The fit is so much better and It will last me quite a while. What differentiates the 1000X or 2000x is those are made with either mink or chinchilla fur.

But if I'm being honest If you aren't wearing your hat a lot there's really not a need for anything greater than a 50x. What matters more than X is the shape and crease you get. If you want to get something that looks good and won't go out of style get either a square or cattleman crown with a 4.25 to 4.5 inch brims and have them square the corners to your face. Never get a pre shaped hat unless you are going for the "I'm not a cowboy but want to fool people into thinking I am look."

AgCWby90CS
AG
Colonel A. 1976 said:

High Breahm Hats in New Braunfels, one of the few true hat makers left. Donnie is a true artist will make a hate from a blank into a masterpiece. Give him a call he'll help you out
I found that out a couple days ago elsewhere. I live in in New Braunfels and had a hat, a decade ago, cleaned and blocked and he did a great job. I didn't realize he is a hatter. Good to hear he's an Ag, I will go there. Thanks.
CWby '90
A. Solzhenitsyn
HartWorm93 said:

Sounds like I'm in a 1X marriage.
10% fur? not bad. I know some guys are into the 10X eighties beaver, but for my money, I'll go 0X all day. sounds like you're doing ok though.
AgCWby90CS
AG
Colonel A. 1976 said:

Colonel A.

Went by and talked to Donnie. Couldn't remember your handle but told him a class of '76 recommended. Liked what he had and mine is being made.
CWby '90
CactusThomas
AG
What does a 100% beaver hat cost over there?
AgCWby90CS
AG
CactusThomas said:

What does a 100% beaver hat cost over there?
a grand.
CWby '90
CactusThomas
AG
Thanks
SD_71
AG
From someone who has worn a hat for a long time and been through many, you get what you pay for. If you ever wear a custom made hat you will never wear anything else.
They sell some ready made Spradly hats at Big Bend Saddlery and Mr. Spradly's shop is right next door. I have a couple of Mr. Jim's hats and they are hard to beat. He has some sort of antique head measuring device from Germany I think, but it measures every bump and valley in your head and they really FIT. I have mainly found the thinner the felt the better the hat.
For the occasional wearer Catalina Hats are really good, for someone who wears a hat every day Spradly or High Brehm are really better places to go. The hats are more expensive BUT they last way longer and look better.
I have a High Brehm silverbelly from the late 70's that i only wear on really dress up and special occasions. The quality of that hat can't be had today. Mr. Jim Spradly in Alpine comes close but not quite the quality of material as in the old hat. Mr. Jim travels some and you might call him and see if his plans bring him anywhere close to you> It is darn sure worth it
CactusThomas
AG
SD_71 said:

For the occasional wearer Catalina Hats are really good, for someone who wears a hat every day Spradly or High Brehm are really better places to go. The hats are more expensive BUT they last way longer and look better.

Curious if you're comparing apples to apples here. Do you have experience with Catalena 100X? You mentioned the others are more expensive but just above it was mentioned the High Brehm was $1000. Pretty much in line with the Catalena -- they say the 100X starts at $850 but most are over $900.
SD_71
AG
CactusThomas...... I have worn many Catalina hats over the years. I was in school 69/70ish when I bought my first hat from Sammy.
I have owned a 100x from Catalina and it is a great hat, I guess the custom built from Mr. Jim Spradly have spoiled me. I suppose I should not compare them to any off the shelf or non custom hats. I have not delt with High Bhrem since they left Victoria and moved to New Branfuls> I was speaking there of hat that was 100x and a gift. As good a hat that has ever been, except the custom fit which I have grown used to. I have a large head that is not perfectly shaped. Mr. Bradley's medieval looking antique sizing fitter makes his hats fit my head better than any other.
Others may not feel the same. My advise is buy something YOU like and go from there.I would think the more x's and the look of the hat (thinness, shape and feel) should be what guides you. It is not something to get into a pissing match over. For those who are mainly "RODEO" once a year for 2 weeks buy what ever you like. For those of us who wear every day it does pay to do a little more shopping and looking to find something that pleases you.
CactusThomas
AG
Thank you. I appreciate you sharing your experiences.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.