Outdoors
Sponsored by

BIG Mnt Lion (for real this time)

12,373 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Satellite of Love
cupofjoe04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A buddy sent this pic to me of a cat allegedly (edited until OB detectives clear the validity of this pic/claim) killed near Pagosa earlier this week. I don't know the guy who got it- but great googly moogly, that's a monster cat!

The guy holding it is about 5'9", I'm told.

FrontPorchAg
Yeah, but did he kill it with his bare hands?
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
45-70Ag
AG
For some reason i feel like I've seen that pic before.

Have no idea if there's any kind of forced perspective going on or not, but it looks like a monster
DeWrecking Crew
Very similar pic was posted last year here, not sure if it's the same pic
cupofjoe04
AG
Could be an old one making rounds again. Was just sent to me saying it was this week.

Regardless of when, that things a beast.

Just look at the thickness of the cat's leg compared to the guy's arm/jacket.
bobbranco
AG
https://www.redboneoutfitting.com/photos/category/mountain-lion-hunting/
cupofjoe04
AG
I didn't see this cat in those pics, did you? Maybe I missed it.

Maybe someone around here is telling a fib??? Leave it to the OB to sniff it out!
always gig em
AG
Killed an innocent cat while blackface

Racist
bobbranco
AG
I did not see that picture on that website either.

Rather in comparison to the photos on that website I don't think the lion is out of proportion to that posted by you.

Happy hunting.
shaynew1
AG
I dunno how mess w perspective with your arms around its torso and it's in contact w your chest
cupofjoe04
AG
always gig em said:

Killed an innocent cat while blackface

Racist
Your assuming he isn't black...
Post removed:
by user
SteveBott
AG
Photoshopped?
shaynew1
AG
I could pick it up
AquaAg1984
AG
JJMt said:

I think I have seen that picture before, also, but Google can't find another copy of it. Also, something seems off about that picture. Could a guy that size even lift up a cat that big? If the proportions are accurate, that cat would have to weigh well north of 200 pounds.

Yeah something definitely off here. Animal seems around 400 lbs based on the 5'9" Hunter that I would assume weighs around 180 max. Would maybe pass muster if the pic was some average dude holding or attempting to hold an African lion or tiger.
cupofjoe04
AG
I think what makes it look off, is that the camera is below where they are, because they are standing on a pretty steep slope. Definitely makes it look "off", but I really don't think it is 'shopped. There is too much contact between man and cat, something would surely be distorted. Maybe I'm missing something?

Record cat in CO is 220, I think, and world record is something stupid like 270lbs. Looking at big cat pics on the net, as an earlier poster noted, this really doesn't look that abnormal. Just looks like a big ole freaking cat.
cupofjoe04
AG
AquaAg1984 said:

Would maybe pass muster if the pic was some average dude holding
Google says average ht/wt for an American man is 5'9.5" & ~195lbs... just saying
AquaAg1984
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

I think what makes it look off, is that the camera is below where they are, because they are standing on a pretty steep slope. Definitely makes it look "off", but I really don't think it is 'shopped. There is too much contact between man and cat, something would surely be distorted. Maybe I'm missing something?

Record cat in CO is 220, I think, and world record is something stupid like 270lbs. Looking at big cat pics on the net, as an earlier poster noted, this really doesn't look that abnormal. Just looks like a big ole freaking cat.

And again, the cat in the pic looks around 400 lbs. Why not get a pic of it on a pickup bed or one of it on a scale? Why make it deceptive?
shaynew1
AG
That's the picture you take when you kill a mountain lion
AquaAg1984
AG
shaynew1 said:

I suppose. But why just one?
AquaAg1984
AG
Ragoo
AG
I am sorry but that picture makes the mountain lion look bigger than an African lion and that is just not true.
JYDog90
AG
Murica
Formerly Willy Wonka
shaynew1
AG
willie wonka said:

Murica

Amen
cupofjoe04
AG
AquaAg1984 said:

shaynew1 said:

I suppose. But why just one?

Shaynew1 is right- look at outfitter's pics, or pics on the net, and you will see 1000 pictures exactly like this. No one said this was the only pic, just the only pic that was sent to me (by a tertiary, at best, source).

I agree with you, lots of people take deceptive pictures. Standing 10 feet behind an elk, pretending to hold its antler. That's deceptive, and disrespectful to the animal and the hunt, I believe. So is taking pics with blood all over the place and the deer's tongue hanging out. But that's just my opinion.

To be honest- I don't think this picture falls anywhere near that category. The guy is bear hugging the cat, not holding it out. The man is whatever size he is, can't change that. It doesn't matter if that guy is 5'5 or 6'5, that's a freaking big cat. While personally I don't like that pose, it is the standard mountain lion pic pose. I would guess this cat pushes 180-190lbs, but that's just a guess. The uphill angle certainly makes it look odd, but maybe there wasn't much other choice (look at the terrain). Maybe there was, and they chose the angle that looked the best- who knows. The cat slightly quartering to the camera probably makes it look a little bigger than it is. But look at the proportions of the cat itself- this isn't a small cat by any means. It is a thick fat lion, and will likely look that way no matter what.

For some perspective- the cat's back paw is slightly behind the mans front boot- good size comparison. Also the tail compared to his leg/boot, and the cat's arm vs man's arm.

I honestly don't think this an egregious attempt to deceive or at trick photography. But at the end of the day, it's not my cat, and not my friend, so I don't really care all that much.
cupofjoe04
AG
willie wonka said:

Murica

This thread in a word! On so many levels...
shaynew1
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

so I don't really care all that much.

This is the internet you have to pick a side
spud1910
AG
I think there is something fishy about this photo. I am 5'10" and a few years ago I did surgery on a Malaysan tiger. 332# on the scale. Comparing the tiger's paws and forelegs to my hands and arms, then looking at this picture, something doesn't match up.
cupofjoe04
AG
spud1910 said:

I think there is something fishy about this photo. I am 5'10" and a few years ago I did surgery on a Malaysan tiger. 332# on the scale. Comparing the tiger's paws and forelegs to my hands and arms, then looking at this picture, something doesn't match up.
and... we have the first credible data point!
909Ag2006
AG
Does that guy live in Cordillera Ranch?
"They weren't raiding a Girl Scout troop looking for overdue library books."
BradMtn346
Good cat either way. You can't fake it that much.
oneeyedag
Somewhere, someone is missing their Audad!
sunchaser
AG
Buck Compton
AG
Sure it's a good cat, but that picture is photoshopped
malenurse
AG
I think what gives it away is the heads of the cat and the man are out of proportion. Look at other pics of big cats and compare the head of the cat and the hunter. That pic is definitely shopped.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.