Outdoors
Sponsored by

BIG Mnt Lion (for real this time)

12,468 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Satellite of Love
labmansid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I found a pic of the hunter. The one on the left.

I could be wrong, but that photo is pretty obviously shopped to me. Lighting doesn't seem to match up.

shaynew1
AG
obviously i cant definitively prove its not photoshopped but heres some other photos and why i think it aint

well this last one was on fb and won't show up.

shaynew1
AG
Or

I'll footrace you for it. Loser is wrong.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Buck Compton said:

Sure it's a good cat, but that picture is photoshopped
Well obviously. I mean just look at the dude's face!
lotsofhp
AG
Wow, I guess I never knew how big mountain lions are. Really cool
shaynew1
AG
i think all of these are outliers for sure. i've seen three on the hoof and they look waaaaay smaller than the ones in this thread.
CanyonAg77
AG
I love that we have an OB poster who just casually mentions that he did surgery on a Malaysian Tiger.
shaynew1
AG
i meant to circle back around to that and forgot!

i def did a double take the first time i read that
cupofjoe04
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

Buck Compton said:

Sure it's a good cat, but that picture is photoshopped
Well obviously. I mean just look at the dude's face!

BOOM- roasted!
cupofjoe04
AG
spud1910 said:

I think there is something fishy about this photo. I am 5'10" and a few years ago I did surgery on a Malaysan tiger. 332# on the scale. Comparing the tiger's paws and forelegs to my hands and arms, then looking at this picture, something doesn't match up.

Can you save this thread with a sweet back-story?

Like: were you surgically removing your friend who was eaten by the tiger? Did you catch him by the toe & make him pay $50 every day? It's the off season- give us something!!!
HarleySpoon
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

spud1910 said:

I think there is something fishy about this photo. I am 5'10" and a few years ago I did surgery on a Malaysan tiger. 332# on the scale. Comparing the tiger's paws and forelegs to my hands and arms, then looking at this picture, something doesn't match up.

Like: were you surgically removing your friend who was eaten by the tiger? Did you catch him by the toe & make him pay $50 every day? It's the off season- give us something!!!
Or it could be as simple as his real name is Buck Owens.
ratfacemcdougal
The tiger story can't be that good...hell, Dr Dolittle did it while the tiger was awake and talking to him.
The Anchor
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

spud1910 said:

BWAHAHAHA
MouthBQ98
AG
Big cat + forced perspective making the hunter's head and shoulders appear small. Not intentional but does cause overestimation of size of cat.
Boo Weekley
sunchaser said:

Dammit, this almost made me ruin my monitor. This is why I Texags. New here, but love the Outdoors board.
sunchaser
AG
cupofjoe04
AG
sunchaser said:

I would not be laying that close to an animal that is known to carry the plague.

Had a buddy here who almost lost their daughter because of it. She was looking at a dead one, didn't touch it, but set her jacket down on the ground near by, then tied her jacket around her waist. She got sick, they couldn't figure out what was happening (and her mother is a doctor). After a week or so, she was bad enough to be med-flighted to Denver, where they happened to catch it on a test. It was bad stuff.
CanyonAg77
AG
Terrifying story, but I'm pretty sure the plague is very treatable, sounds like the lack of diagnosis was the real problem. And, of course, the kid's coat likely picked up the fleas, which are the vector.

What I really replied for was to say thank god for the Bubonic plague in my case. A neighbor wasn't controlling his prairie dogs, and I was about to suffer an infestation. Then, one winter, they disappeared. Every colony for miles. Nasty little vermin, if I could have cultured some of the bacteria for the next set of prairie dogs, I would have.
sunchaser
AG
I'm not the guy with the rifle or the camera......
TxFig
AG
--
Chris Barnes
Retired A&M IT geek - now beekeeper
http://www.cornerstonehoneybees.com/
cupofjoe04
AG
You are totally right, very treatable if caught. I don't know a ton about it, but ain't something I'm messing with. I'll leave the biological warfare to you!

I've necer seen a massive die off like that. We could use one around parts of Pagosa. One area a buddy and I do our best to thin them out. But they are like hogs I guess- you just can't shoot them fast enough apparently.
spud1910
AG
Every once in awhile, all the hours I spent in the medical sciences library, instead of running around with the rest of you on Northgate pays off.
spud1910
AG
Well, I was in Kuala Rompin, flyfishing for sailfish. After a slow day on the water, I decided to take a break from fishing and go to the Endau-Rompin National Park in Pahang, Johor to see what I could see. After our small group hiked an hour or two into the rainforest, dodging elephant poop along the way, we came upon a beautiful waterfall and decided to sit for awhile and see if anything interesting came along. I saw a few tapir and Malayan wild boar, as well as macaques. I was hoping to see a leopard or Sumatran rhinoceros, but no luck. Just as we were about to give up and head back to the village, there was noise from the forest and the Jakun guide held up his hand and motioned to be quiet and still. In a few minutes, a small group of elephants moved into the small clearing in front of us and some began to drink from the river above the waterfall. One very young baby seemed to be having obvious problems moving, with an apparent leg injury. As we were all focused on the elephants, we did not notice a Malayan tiger until it pounced from the forest on the injured baby. Well, one of the ladies in the group was not prepared to see nature in the raw. She screamed and ran down the hill toward the tiger and elephant, grabbing the tiger by the tail when she got there. The surprised tiger let go and started running straight for the group, most of whom scattered like quail. And the crazy lady refused to let go. Fortunately, as they came upon us, I remembered the guide's machete and was able to get it in hand by the tiger got to use. And amputated the tip of the tiger's tail as he ran by, freeing the lady from her Darwin award attempt.

Boo Weekley
spud1910 said:

Well, I was in Kuala Rompin, flyfishing for sailfish. After a slow day on the water, I decided to take a break from fishing and go to the Endau-Rompin National Park in Pahang, Johor to see what I could see. After our small group hiked an hour or two into the rainforest, dodging elephant poop along the way, we came upon a beautiful waterfall and decided to sit for awhile and see if anything interesting came along. I saw a few tapir and Malayan wild boar, as well as macaques. I was hoping to see a leopard or Sumatran rhinoceros, but no luck. Just as we were about to give up and head back to the village, there was noise from the forest and the Jakun guide held up his hand and motioned to be quiet and still. In a few minutes, a small group of elephants moved into the small clearing in front of us and some began to drink from the river above the waterfall. One very young baby seemed to be having obvious problems moving, with an apparent leg injury. As we were all focused on the elephants, we did not notice a Malayan tiger until it pounced from the forest on the injured baby. Well, one of the ladies in the group was not prepared to see nature in the raw. She screamed and ran down the hill toward the tiger and elephant, grabbing the tiger by the tail when she got there. The surprised tiger let go and started running straight for the group, most of whom scattered like quail. And the crazy lady refused to let go. Fortunately, as they came upon us, I remembered the guide's machete and was able to get it in hand by the tiger got to use. And amputated the tip of the tiger's tail as he ran by, freeing the lady from her Darwin award attempt.

SMM48
AG
Photoshopped,

Light on head of cat is all wrong
cupofjoe04
AG
SteveMedina said:

Photoshopped,

Light on head of cat is all wrong

How so? Not saying your wrong, I just don't see it.

All the shadows in the picture are on the right side of things, as if the sun is above the cameraman's left shoulder. Light on the cat looks the same to me. Don't forget the reflective nature of snow, tending to over-expose pics and bounce light in different places.
Post removed:
by user
AZAG08
AG
JJMt said:

One reason I ask is because the guy's forearms look to big - they're actually larger than his upper arms or legs.
....and?
WestTexAg12
AG

Dad said it was near Lubbock
"Give me an army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies, and I'll win the war.”
- General George S. Patton
cupofjoe04
AG
I see what your saying with his arm. I believe what you are implying is possible with photoshop, but I don't really know so I can't say for sure. Maybe someone else could confirm.

I do believe i see what you are seeing in the pic- I could almost see a break in his plaid coat pattern @ his elbow, where everything below it looks enlarged. I could also just as easily see that as a bit of forced/incidental perspective. He is leaning back, struggling to hold such a heavy cat on a snowy incline. Dead weight is always awkward.

I don't have any official info- we don't have public weigh-ins that I know of. I have heard it from a few different people. But a big cat isn't really that rare around here. While the perspective makes this cat look enormous- as I don't think it's as big (or as small) as many of you do.

As BradMnt said on pg.1 - that's a healthy kitty, you can't fake it that much (unless it turns out to be photoshopped). Not a record breaker, but it's a big cat.
cupofjoe04
AG
WestTexAg12 said:

Dad said it was near Lubbock

I'm pretty sure that's one of the 2 "cougars" my friend saw & photographed in a Carrollton subdivision last week. Very odd way to landscape your front yard for the area...

In all seriousness- imagine what this cat would look like if the camera was 2-3' down hill from this perspective. And puffed with winter fur.
cupofjoe04
AG
spud1910 said:

I have no gif to do that story justice.
SMM48
AG
What kind of screen you looking through?

The colors aren't right. The gamma or the Vega or the other Greek letter is off.

Hell I dunno. Just doesn't look right. Cats left paw. Just doesn't look right
91AggieLawyer
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

I love that we have an OB poster who just casually mentions that he did surgery on a Malaysian Tiger.

At least he didn't say it was without anesthesia. Or did he?
cupofjoe04
AG
SteveMedina said:

What kind of screen you looking through?

The colors aren't right. The gamma or the Vega or the other Greek letter is off.

Hell I dunno. Just doesn't look right. Cats left paw. Just doesn't look right

Just on my phone. Maybe I need to check it out in a computer.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.