Outdoors
Sponsored by

The boat thread

31,613 Views | 166 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SanAntoneAg
RickSawyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2006 Gordon Waterman with 'zuki 60 and 1993 Boston Whaler Montauk with yam 90 2strk out back. Whaler stays at twin brother's house now.

https://instagr.am/p/Bl6aDd1nnN1
RickSawyer
AG
Another

https://instagr.am/p/BW3rN6HHkI4
lazuras_dc
AG

Been running a 20' shoalwater cat for two years now after I sank my first boat - 20' shallow stalker :/
Salt of the water
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Been running a 20' shoalwater cat for two years now after I sank my first boat - 20' shallow stalker :/

Story time!
DallasAggies01
AG
I came an engine not starting at the ramp away from likely sinking a boat summer of 17. I had been working on the Flats Cat boat (posted earlier in the thread) that had been my FILs. It hadn't ran in over 2 years and I got up and running on muffs. I had never ran this boat before at all.

I put 2 drain plugs in thinking that the other spots were for a self bailing hull. I back down the ramp and notice water coming in but still thinking self bail. Engine wouldn't crank over pulled the boat out of the water and inspected the other holes coming out of the hull. Sure enough this boat has 4 drain plugs.

Got it running dropped it back in the water and all was good after over an hour of running it. Then Harvey hit and it sat for a good 3 months and it wouldn't turn over anymore. So i towed it out of the lift and put it in storage. I think it's likely a VST issue but until I moved back down here I didn't have time to mess with it on a short weekend. My plan for January is to get it up and running again. The damn motor alone is worth making it work. It's got a 2012 Yamaha 150 4stroke with less than 50 hours.
Salt of the water
AG
Have a racor filter and fresh gas? If it was outdoors during the Harvey drenching it may have gotten water in the fuel and that may be more of an issue than the filter on the engine.
PrimeSATX
AG
Reel Aggies
AG

We really enjoy it. Handles chop and offshore swell nicely. Wide decks for plenty of room. Runs super shallow but also has freeboard for offshore. We have run about 10mi off so far. Have some things I'd do differently, but love the raised console.
DallasAggies01
AG
Yeah I've checked the filter. Everything looks good there. Just have to go through the steps of checking off the boxes from simple to harder fixes. It was covered in the lift and the fuel tank is under the console so water in fuel wasn't my first concern.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
third coast.. said:

sold it. wife didnt like laying on the bow half naked so logically i got something nicer with a better deck. got a hell of a lot of use out of it though

Spectacular use of a boat. Not going to lie that my new 12'jon is getting a casting deck and a large portion of its use just may be my wife laying half naked on it.
Salt of the water
AG
Ragoo said:

The MBG is next. Have two small kids now and the family ski boat jumped the MBG in priority.

A boat was better than no boat.

I grew up waterskiing and still love it.

Plus my dad still has his 20' gulf coast for bay fishing.

Two boats are better than one...

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/6783731528.html
Herne the Hunter
third coast.. said:

sold it. wife didnt like laying on the bow half naked so logically i got something nicer with a better deck. got a hell of a lot of use out of it though
I assume you're talking about a new boat?
Salt of the water
AG
Weekend project was boat related - built an outboard motor cart for moving motors around and doing maintenance.

Salt of the water
AG
Anyone else get out on this beautiful day? Hit the beach with the wife and dogs and had the place to ourselves.

Hoyt Ag
AG
Broke in the new Mowdy and Zuke. Marker 37 to Baffin and back 3x. Love this boat.

sunchaser
AG
I'm glad you took the time to look at other boats and got exactly what you wanted......nice looking!
RO519
AG

1999 Ranger 519 with a 225 Mercury EFI
Salt of the water
AG
saltydog13 said:

PalomaPachanga said:

Here's my Sabine Skiff Versatile.

This is my dream boat right here. Perfect fishing/duck boat

I can confirm that PalomaPachanga's Sabine looks even better in person. Impressive skiff for sure.

I can also confirm a certain skiffy poster who caught a permaban is still kickin'.
Salt of the water
AG
Here's a little flow chart in case any of y'all are on the fence about getting a boat.
DallasAggies01
AG
Hahahaha! Guess it's time to get that 3rd boat I've my eye on. The wife will completely understand once I show her this chart. It's science!
Salt of the water
AG
Last weekend I did a boat camping trip to a beach that you can't drive to. I had my panga and a buddy brought his Ranger. We were going to have a third boat but they bailed because there was a storm rolling in Sunday.

Glad we stuck it out. The surf fishing was on fire and went well with grilled fajitas. Had a nice bonfire and the beach all to ourselves after a family left around 5pm.

saltydog13
AG
Awesome pics. Where did you buy the panga?
Blitz88
AG
[url=.html][/url]

2018 G23 Natique
Salt of the water
AG
It was imported from Mexico inside a 26 ft hull. The guy sold it to offset shipping costs. There's a guy making them in the US now under the name pelagic pangas.
Salt of the water
AG
I think I may have caught Down East boat fever while visiting Maine. Usually not a big fan of pilothouses but the classic lobster boat lines are winning me over.

Salt of the water
AG
Paging PalomaPachanga.

Tell us about your border to Bayou trip plans! Are we going to get a live thread?
MouthBQ98
AG
Build one. Boatplans online has a DE23 and 25.
lotsofhp
AG
Blitz88 said:

[url=.html][/url]

2018 G23 Natique

Beautiful. You love it?
AgsMnn
AG
Does anyone know if you can get a plain Hull that is stripped?

Would like to look at a project for long term.
SCHTICK00
AG
Blitz88 said:

[url=.html][/url]

2018 G23 Natique

We run a 230 Sante now, but the G23 is our next purchase. I've never surged behind one, but dang I sure want it.
Salt of the water
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Build one. Boatplans online has a DE23 and 25.

No space for something that big and still have a gheenoe project I'm struggling to wrap up.

AgsMnn said:

Does anyone know if you can get a plain Hull that is stripped?

Would like to look at a project for long term.

Some builders sell bare hulls you can rig on your own. Most don't. What style of hull are you looking for?
My panga came as just a hull with stringers and decks in the front and back.

Gutting a used hull is an option too, and probably cheaper. Just find something with a blown motor.
AgsMnn
AG
The panga style is what I am after.
Shallow boat that can handle the surf, and big enough for 3 people.

Trying to keep initial cost down to save for the motor. I would just like to customize everything and put things where I want them.

Knew someone who built a boat from ground up using a BW mold. They did all the fiberglass work themselves. That was a heck of a boat.
MouthBQ98
AG
https://boatbuildercentral.com/wp/proddetail.php?prod=PG20

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.