Outdoors
Sponsored by

The boat thread

31,555 Views | 166 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SanAntoneAg
Salt of the water
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sub $5k options:
-Build your own like Mouth recommends. Stitch and glue seems fairly easy to get the hang of.
-Find a used hull. Buying an auction seized hull used to be a common option but is extremely rare to find these days.
-Import from Mexico. Lots of legwork and hassle, maybe a little risk.

$5 to $10k options
- Pelagic pangas 20. Bare hull for $7k.
- Imported imemsa 18. Not positive but I think these are running under 10k still.
- Full rigged boats with blown motors?

$10k plus opens up more options for bigger hulls or ones with more work already done.
AgsMnn
AG
If I could find a Gulf Coast classic or El Pescador Classic hull, that's what I am really looming for.

Does anyone have any contacts at one of those places? I thought about swinging by El Pescador since I work in Victoria.

AgsMnn
AG
And I am checking back into the place in Rock Port that I heard still might have some Harvey boats from the storage building that got totaled.
Salt of the water
AG
https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d/houston-1998-gulf-coast-20-hs-tandem/6917385385.html

The gulf coast is a knockoff banana whaler. Tran did a copy of that hull too. May be worth adding those two hulls to the search as well.

Or if you really want a low entry cost option... How about free?
https://corpuschristi.craigslist.org/boa/d/woodsboro-two-boat-hulls/6939542856.html
AgsMnn
AG
That BW hull is what I am looking for.

What would you look at in terms of condition?
Is it worth it?
OregonAggie
AG
Hopefully the image posts because I suck at posting pics.

2017 Moomba Craz. It puts out a nice surf wake when we slam it.

Salt of the water
AG
AgsMnn said:

Is it worth it?

Condition will depend on what you're wanting to spend. Are you hoping to find a dirt cheap hull, and put a bunch of sweat equity into making it just like you like it? Are you hoping to find a solid used hull, re-ccessorize and repower?

General things to watch out for on older hulls. Soft transom, soft decks, fuel tank leaks / issues (may require deck removal). If you're shopping for a rebuild candidate, you may want something with soft decks you can get a steal on. On the whalers specifically you want to make sure the foam isn't waterlogged.

I spent a bunch of time fishing with a buddy on his dad's 70s era 21' whaler outrage. Same hull design you're looking for. We fished it offshore and it always felt safe. It'll pound in heavier seas but it's not a true deep v so that's not surprising. The relatively flat stern is why the hull has a draft that works in TX bays and is fairly quick with reasonable power.

Even though it's a bit dated now, it's a good design. That's why you had companies in Texas making modified copies of the same hull decades after Boston Whaler retired those models.

The low profile whalers are still in pretty large demand in Texas. Lots of nostalgia, and well restored ones hold their value well. If I'm remembering correctly, Rudy Grigar even discusses his banana whaler some in the book plugger.

OregonAggie said:

Hopefully the image posts because I suck at posting pics.

OregonAggie
AG
Thanks
Billy Foster
AG
AgsMnn said:

Is it worth it?

Here you go.

https://austin.craigslist.org/boa/d/austin-boston-whaler-19-lo-profile/6926734983.html
AgsMnn
AG
Thank you.
Finding a hull that's needs to be re-powered and new accessories put in is what I am really looking for.
AgsMnn
AG
That's what I'm looking for. Wish it was a little longer.

Thank you
Salt of the water
AG
Paging Ragoo! Buy the Legend.

Maverick master angler 18 - $6900
https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d/conroe-maverick-master-angler-18/6952465263.html
hopeandrealchange
Since I am mentioned in the original post on this thread I thought I would give an update.
I spent yesterday in boat dealers around the Houston area. I spent several hours with my friends at Bryan marine today.
I have been searching for a tender for the houseboat.
The decision was made today.
Boat number 5 will be a 24' Sea Ark Big Daddy with all the trimmings. Looking forward to getting her on the water.
MouthBQ98
AG
This is my next boat I think. Versatile, light, simple hull. A 19.5 footer that should weigh in around 1000lb dry weight with outboard. And be solid as a rock. 3 piece? 2 Piece? Hell no. Try 1 gigantic piece. Probably be 2-3 more years.

https://bateau.com/studyplans/FS19_study.php?prod=FS19.
Salt of the water
AG
hopeandrealchange said:

I have been searching for a tender for the houseboat.
The decision was made today.
Boat number 5 will be a 24' Sea Ark Big Daddy with all the trimmings. Looking forward to getting her on the water.

That's a big tender. Going to tow it behind the houseboat?

MouthBQ98 said:

This is my next boat I think. Versatile, light, simple hull. A 19.5 footer that should weigh in around 1000lb dry weight with outboard. And be solid as a rock. 3 piece? 2 Piece? Hell no. Try 1 gigantic piece. Probably be 2-3 more years.

https://bateau.com/studyplans/FS19_study.php?prod=FS19.

Kind of looks like a Tolman. Nice lines. Would you go new power or look for a late model two stroke for it?
Reel Aggies
AG
My cousin built the flat bottom skiff they offer plans for. 23' and would run in spit. Prob is it would beat you to death in chop. He added a center console.
MouthBQ98
AG
Probably something like a 90 on it, but it would likely be used and reliable, whatever I find doing research. I don't care about fast, I care about getting back every time.
gigemaggies88
2018 Avalon Catalina triton rear fish
hopeandrealchange
Need some input guys. I ordered the new SeaArk without the spray in liner. I think they call it Gator Grip.
I plan to do some custom fab work to it.
Any recommendations for spray in liner after I finish the welding? And a recommendation on who to do it?
Salt of the water
AG
DIY grizzly grip seems to be common.

I think there's a marine version of linex the truck bed shops can spray in.

Then there's epoxy bedded rubber grains like safefloor. I think thats what boatright uses.
Salt of the water
AG
Interesting option if you can do without a tunnel. Between the jackplates and sponson it should be able to run pretty skinny.

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d/brazoria-mako-backcountry-18/6959741277.html

The old makos have a cult following because the hulls were built like tanks.

You could run the 2 smoke johnson while you upgraded trolling motor, trim tabs, GPS, add power pole, etc. Save up for a new motor in the meantime.

If the hull does what you want it to, then repower with something like a zuke 140. If it doesn't, you bought something at the bottom of the depreciation curve, shouldn't lose a bunch on the deal.
Salt of the water
AG
Anyone planning on making a boat change this fall / winter? Selling, buying, trading, or re-rigging?

Here's a picture of my panga in the Keys for your time.
Blitz88
AG
lotsofhp said:

Blitz88 said:

[url=.html][/url]

2018 G23 Natique

Beautiful. You love it?

No regrets with this boat. We surf roughly 7 - 8 months /yr so it's worth the little extra in my view
SCHTICK00
AG
Blitz88 said:

lotsofhp said:

Blitz88 said:

[url=.html][/url]

2018 G23 Natique

Beautiful. You love it?

No regrets with this boat. We surf roughly 7 - 8 months /yr so it's worth the little extra in my view

Just traded our 230 on a G23. Storage space alone made it worth doing. Because of kids soccer leagues we don't get to surf as often, but May through August it's every weekend. Beautiful boat btw
AggieChemist
AG
Took out the Ranger 519 VX for her maiden cruise just to shake things out. Hell, I don't even have my rods in the boat yet. Let the boy fish for a bit. I wanted him to throw a white willow blade spinnerbait, but he wanted to fish his yellow beetle spin (confidence bait, LOL). This was the first bait he ever caught a fish on "fishing like a dad", as he calls crankin'.

He caught the first fish in the new boat on a yellow beetle spin. I caught my first fish on a beetle spin in 1980, except mine was the white one with a big red dot.

MouthBQ98
AG
My boat is currently stripped down to the hull and I'm doing sanding and some remodel work in the storage spaces before coating them with tinted epoxy. I'm working from the inside out.
MouthBQ98
AG
Now the deck glassing is done. I need to sand it smooth enough to fair it

SanAntoneAg
AG
Late to this party

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.