Outdoors
Sponsored by

The boat thread

31,851 Views | 166 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SanAntoneAg
Betoisafurry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
up-n-aTm said:

Charlie Kelley said:

up-n-aTm said:

My son on my homemade 12 ft. scooter. I also have a 23' Majek skiff.
Homemade? That looks awesome, did the hull come in a kit or what? Would love some more info on this.

No kit. Used four 12 ft 1x10's as stringers and covered with 1/4" plywood (there are also lots of 1x2" ribs). Glassed it and gelcoated it. That was 1998- still going strong today. That's a 1998 25hp 4 stroke Yamaha on the back. The hull also has a tunnel. If the dew is pretty heavy on the grass in the mornings, I can get this thing up in my front yard.
That's impressive, that's something that I've had the itch to do for a few years. Seeing your picture kinda lit a fire under me. I've been looking into the Bateau plans, but haven't found one yet that quite does it for me.

Thanks for sharing!
Post removed:
by user
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Salt of the water said:

https://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=2621933

I bet you could cover the down payment by selling the seaswirl.
that's the one! That one actually looks like a good deal. Not gonna squeeze that dude in my storage unit though
ag-guy
AG
No, didn't know mayor did that.
Salt of the water
AG
up-n-aTm said:

Charlie Kelley said:

up-n-aTm said:

Homemade? That looks awesome, did the hull come in a kit or what? Would love some more info on this.

No kit. Used four 12 ft 1x10's as stringers and covered with 1/4" plywood (there are also lots of 1x2" ribs). Glassed it and gelcoated it. That was 1998- still going strong today. That's a 1998 25hp 4 stroke Yamaha on the back. The hull also has a tunnel. If the dew is pretty heavy on the grass in the mornings, I can get this thing up in my front yard.

Did you just taper the 1x10s towards the bow or did you mold them any? Were they stout enough to make the curve in the 1/4" ply.

Anything you'd change?
Caddis Black Angus
AG
The trout slayer

The ski/wakeboard boat

The bass and crappie rig. 18ft Champion

SabineAg
AG
Here's my Sabine Skiff Versatile, this thing continues to impress every time I get out on her. I've made a few mods since, added a Powerpole and Simrad most recently.

reddog90
AG
Need moar airboat and skiff pics.
reddog90
AG
reddog90
AG
Pour one out for Finn and his banana river skiff rebuild.

Here's my old Southfork. So many good memories hunting and fishing on it but I'm so glad it's gone.

sunchaser
AG
I don't have a lot of variety of airboat pics...they all seem to look the same. It has a kevlar pad on the hull that starts near where the curve portion ends. The prop is a Warp. Engine is an aluminum Chevy that came out of Conrad racing. Dyno was around 505hp. Very powerful....not scary fast....will do 360's...pisses people off....when fueling up(big fuel tank)...loading...unloading..putt putting past those anchored in cut accesses....washing...being in Lighthouse Lakes, Brown & Root, North Pass, Fence Lake etc. Nearly everyone I've taken out wants to drive.

This came off Chittum's Instagram website.....covers the skiff pretty well.The guy putting on the prop left off the thrust washer.

https://instagr.am/p/BaZl5nqgPVN
KenAg06
AG
sunchaser said:

Tumble Weed
There is no perfect boat, might as well have a bunch!
Caddis Black Angus
AG
Just using different tools to accomplish different goals. The Malibu and Champon don't work very well in the shallow/rocky trout rivers. The drawback is the drift boat is a powered by a short, fat guy. Lol
Lance in Round Mountain
AG
Not a salt water boat.

[url=.html][/url]

[url=.html][/url]

[url=.html][/url]
WhoopN06
WhoopN06
Could you maybe explain your trolling motor setup a little bit? It appears you're using a hand control motor. I'm not a huge fan of foot control for a bunch of different reasons.
Salt of the water
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

I have a 25ft Illusion on order bit not here till Feb.

Power? Color? Raised console?
Lance in Round Mountain
AG
WhoopN06 said:

Could you maybe explain your trolling motor setup a little bit? It appears you're using a hand control motor. I'm not a huge fan of foot control for a bunch of different reasons.
Sure, it's a hand control trolling motor. I've never grown adept at using a foot control. The device attached to the trolling motor shaft is called "Pro Control", I think... It's simple; you push or pull the handle to turn the trolling motor right or left. I also have 3 buttons mounted on the floor of the front deck. Touch any button and the motor turns on.
AggieGunslinger
AG
That is my dream right there. You ever need somebody to help you push that you let me know. I can't cast for s*** but I love to stalk tailing reds.
WhoopN06
Do you know make and model on the trolling motor?

I'm with you on foot controlled motors.

Also very nice boat.
Salt of the water
AG
Here's all the OB build threads I could find. If anyone has more to link that I missed let me know. I'll eventually edit the first post on this thread with links.

Rufnek's seacraft thread - https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2325568

Burroaks Bayliner thread - https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2289465

Finn's (Rip) banana river skiff - https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2960522

My gheenoe thread (with some panga pics mixed in) - https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2841040
Post removed:
by user
Lance in Round Mountain
AG
WhoopN06 said:

Do you know make and model on the trolling motor?

I'm with you on foot controlled motors.

Also very nice boat.
It's a Motor Guide 36 volt. Don't know the model number or thrust pounds, but I can check when I get home.
WhoopN06
Thank you. Been looking for a new trolling motor and your setup seems like it would work perfectly.
SabineAg
AG
We'll have to do it sometime. Shoot me a PM so I've got something to look back to whenever I need someone to come along. I'm pretty sure there's a few different people on here that have asked before, can't remembef if you were one of them
aggolfer
AG
Salt of the water said:

aggolfer - 18ft Panga with 90 zuki - panga marine? That's a lot of horses for a Mexican hull.

Yep, its a Panga skiff. Looking at the website, seems to be common setup for those.
tamu2009
AG
Malibu 20VTX to make summer more fun. Gotta stick up for us water sports types since almost all these boats are of the fishing variety.

https://instagr.am/p/BkVGikqH1Q-
Ragoo
AG
Nice wakesetter
sunchaser
AG
Hey, hey, hey! In my East Texas youth I skied on barrel staves, a single broom(broom handles are not very strong).... a single canoe paddle, two ping pong paddles and since boats weren't quite fast enough we had to ski "barefoot" in Converse All Stars.....
saltydog13
AG
PalomaPachanga said:

Here's my Sabine Skiff Versatile, this thing continues to impress every time I get out on her. I've made a few mods since, added a Powerpole and Simrad most recently.

This is my dream boat right here. Perfect fishing/duck boat
up-n-aTm
AG
Salt of the water said:

up-n-aTm said:

Charlie Kelley said:

up-n-aTm said:

Did you just taper the 1x10s towards the bow or did you mold them any? Were they stout enough to make the curve in the 1/4" ply.

Anything you'd change?
Sorry for the late response!

Yes- just tapered the 1x10's. Start the taper 1/3 of the way down the hull- in this case, there are 4 feet of taper. The 1x2" ribs help hold the plywood down, too.

Nope- I wouldn't change a thing! Been a great boat for 20 years!
Salt of the water
AG
Here's something interesting for those of y'all with small weight sensitive boats. There's a company called sidewinder in the US making 60 lb 20 cubic inch 2 stroke motors. Should put out 20+ hp, (Yamahas 80lb 15hp 2 stroke is 15 cubic inches).

They say the motors are for racing only, which I'm guessing is because they aren't EPA compliant. I'm always "racing to next fishing hole"... Anyone know who would be the enforcing agent that would ticket you for running one of these (assuming you could get ahold of one).
bradley1227
AG
I am really liking the Dargel Kat right now and that is a nice looking example. How does it handle rough water and have you been happy with it?
Salt of the water
AG
Here's my panga.

Built in Mexico.

Bolted on a motor and a couple cooler tie downs and used it with bare bones rigging for about a year.

Lots of B.O.A.T. and elbow grease.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.