Outdoors
Sponsored by

The boat thread

32,067 Views | 166 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SanAntoneAg
Ragoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Big step up from that Blue Wave
sunchaser
AG

KALALL
AG
FIDO*98* said:

2016 JH Outlaw 230x

Are you in South Padre?
FIDO*98*
AG
North Padre/Corpus
Aggie Pharmer
AG
third coast.. said:

sold it. wife didnt like laying on the bow half naked so logically i got something nicer with a better deck. got a hell of a lot of use out of it though

Ummm, you know...we do have rules around here....
KALALL
AG
I saw a boat on South Padre a couple of months ago that is really similar to yours.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Whatever happened to the fella that bought the offshore boat and was tearing it down and rebuilding it? This woulda been several years ago. It looked like a heck of a project and I was looking forward to following that thread, but I seem to have lost it.
Ragoo
AG
Rufneck
Kenneth_2003
AG
Yeah! Did he finish the boat? I don't recall seeing any updates.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
dam some nice boats in here

I have a 2002 Seaswirl Striper 2101 dc with 200 yamaha.

So far a nice compromise between a bay fishing boat, nearshore fishing boat, and a family boat, and it fills up just about every inch of a 28' storage unit.

If I can improve my storage situation I hope to move up to something a bit bigger with a cuddy and twins, since the kids fall asleep as soon as I get underway, and I'd like to start venturing out of state waters and 3 foot seas knock this boat around pretty good
FIDO*98*
AG
Aggie Pharmer said:

third coast.. said:

sold it. wife didnt like laying on the bow half naked so logically i got something nicer with a better deck. got a hell of a lot of use out of it though

Ummm, you know...we do have rules around here....

Especially for mrs third coast
Brazos1865
AG
Ranger 520SVX, 225 Opti
Explorer 230TV, 225 Honda
14' Monarch, 25 Johnson

Come to think of it, I need to get something wet...
Kenneth_2003
AG
Brazos1865 said:

Come to think of it, I need to get something wet...
Don't we all...
Na Zdraví 87
AG
2002 22ft Pathfinder 150 Yamaha VMax
up-n-aTm
AG

My son on my homemade 12 ft. scooter. I also have a 23' Majek skiff.
civilized05
AG
I've posted this on another thread I made.

'96 21' Wahoo w/ Tohatsu 150

Once I get some space in the garage, I'm gonna start building an 18' flats skiff.
Brush Country Ag
AG
That building behind the "Maroon Out" got a lot of natural air conditioning right now ?
agz win
AG
21' Carolina Skiff with front and back decks and 88 Johnson.

I don't use it enough.
DUman08
AG
22 ft Skeeter best decision I ever made.
Betoisafurry
up-n-aTm said:

Homemade? That looks awesome, did the hull come in a kit or what? Would love some more info on this
Salt of the water
AG
Sunchaser - That's a versatile fleet. Which one of the three is your favorite?

NRD09 - Have you spent a bunch of time on a cuddy? I read pretty often about people who think cuddies will be awesome and they end up just being big storage hatches. The close spaced 3s in the gulf are pretty limiting for most boats that can be reasonably stored / trailered. Maybe a cat would be a good option.

Up-n-atm - Great looking scooter! Any pictures or plans from the home-build? Plywood, composite, vinylester, epoxy??? Looks like a slightly bigger mowdy s10. You running the new light 4 stroke yammy 25?

Civilized05 - What flats skiff? Looking at bateau stich and glue or something else? How's the new hatsu working out?

aggolfer - 18ft Panga with 90 zuki - panga marine? That's a lot of horses for a Mexican hull.

For those inquiring minds Finns banana river skiff resto is progressing again. He's got a sole down and a transom in.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Salt of the water said:

NRD09 - Have you spent a bunch of time on a cuddy? I read pretty often about people who think cuddies will be awesome and they end up just being big storage hatches. The close spaced 3s in the gulf are pretty limiting for most boats that can be reasonably stored / trailered. Maybe a cat would be a good option.

I have not, but that's what everybody told me when I was boat shopping and that's part of why I ended up with the DC. It's just a real pain for someone to have to hold both kids while they sleep for the first hour or two of every boat ride and I have a hard time believing they wouldn't zonk out just as easily on a mattress in the cuddy. That said, I did look at some small walkarounds (like sea pro 21) and didn't like how much real estate you lose trying to stuff a cuddy into a small hull, a bit larger hull seems to integrate that space better though.
Cc in my price/size range was not an option because the wife wanted an enclosed head. Not sure how I feel about a cat. Something like a World Cat 266DC seems ideal but I'll have to ride on a few before I'm convinced it's going to handle predictably in variable seas.
Really no regrets, I love the boat and it's been a great first one for me...I'm sure I'll just always be dreaming of the next one up to and including the day I take delivery on a 70 spencer! (yeah, right!)
civilized05
AG
Salt of the water said:

Civilized05 - What flats skiff? Looking at bateau stich and glue or something else? How's the new hatsu working out?

Yep, bateau stich and glue. Bought the plans for their FS18 awhile back but don't have quite the space I thought I'd need. I may clear out some space in my parent's garage and start on it sometime next year. Whenever I do make the leap and get into it I'll be sure to post plenty of pics. The bateau site has a wealth of info available.

So far I love the tohatsu. Starts up and purrs evertime I crank it. I've gotten several compliments on how quiet it is. I think the pee stream hitting the water makes more noise than the engine itself. Once I get the skiff built I'll more than likely go with a Tohatsu tiller motor in the 10-15hp range. Unfortunately I scuffed most of the paint off the skeg when I tried to take her out to west bay. I thought my boat had a little less draft than it did and I carved a nice line into the sand leaving that bayou in hitchcock. D'oh!! Luckily I trimmed her up and made a uturn before getting in even worse. Ended up launching her at the end of the TC dike.

Still trying to get a feel for it though. I think I may be a little under-propped. WOT has me at around 7200rpm, while the max operating range is around 6000-6600. I feel like I should be getting more top end speed out of it. Been wanting to try a new prop but haven't had the free time to get back out on the water.
sunchaser
AG
True but we are in the rebuild process. We are ready to get on the ferry and not be able to see thru it. It was an arduous process to get to this point. Better times are ahead......
sunchaser
AG
Not sure I have a favorite. The Pursuit has been a great trouble free boat. We have had an offshore boat for many years. When I was younger I had rather do that type of fishing in the summer more than anything. As I've got older a third day of rough means I'm fishing in the flats tomorrow.

I love the airboat. I like to take people in it that have never been in one. I have places that other boaters can't get to and I like the serenity of those places. I can take five or so waders and have a great time.

The skiff is easy to enjoy compared to the others. You can load and unload it with about 1" of water on tires. The skiff sans engine weighs about $360. It's economical, easy to clean, rarely have to get fuel and you can have a lot of fun real close to Port A. No more than a couple of miles.
Salt of the water
AG
NRD09 said:

I have not, but that's what everybody told me when I was boat shopping and that's part of why I ended up with the DC. It's just a real pain for someone to have to hold both kids while they sleep for the first hour or two of every boat ride and I have a hard time believing they wouldn't zonk out just as easily on a mattress in the cuddy. That said, I did look at some small walkarounds (like sea pro 21) and didn't like how much real estate you lose trying to stuff a cuddy into a small hull, a bit larger hull seems to integrate that space better though.
Cc in my price/size range was not an option because the wife wanted an enclosed head.

Have you tried putting the kids in a bean bag and letting them sleep there on the way out? May be a decent compromise without getting a sub-optimal rig that you don't like once the kids outgrow the sleeping early phase.

There's some 25/26 ft ccs with heads that could work out and still be trailered and stored. Something like a regulator 26 could meet your needs and open up some more Gulf fishing days but those are $$$.

The cat has some trim quirks to investigate and read up on but it's not an inherently unsafe hull design.
Hoyt Ag
AG
I have a 25ft Illusion on order bit not here till Feb.
Tumble Weed

Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Salt of the water said:

Have you tried putting the kids in a bean bag and letting them sleep there on the way out? May be a decent compromise without getting a sub-optimal rig that you don't like once the kids outgrow the sleeping early phase.

bean bag is a great idea, I will pick up a couple for sure. Regulator 26 is right at the top of my list for the next boat. That's quite a step up though
DallasAggies01
AG
I don't have anything fancy right now but they sure do bring a lot of enjoyment.

MILs pontoon boat, that I captain and maintain for her and decorated by my wife for the Sargent Christmas boat parade.

My 23 ft sea fox after a bath. Going to get a detail and some new upolshtery in January.

Little cocktail cruise out to East Matty

21ft flats cat that has became mine

Salt of the water
AG
NRD09 said:

Salt of the water said:

bean bag is a great idea, I will pick up a couple for sure. Regulator 26 is right at the top of my list for the next boat. That's quite a step up though

https://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=2621933

I bet you could cover the down payment by selling the seaswirl.
Preacher 98
Dargel 190 Skout w/Suzuki 140, matagorda mostly since I live in Bay City
AggieChemist
AG
Nope. Not posting pics of my '89 bass tracker now.
up-n-aTm
AG
Charlie Kelley said:

up-n-aTm said:

Homemade? That looks awesome, did the hull come in a kit or what? Would love some more info on this.

No kit. Used four 12 ft 1x10's as stringers and covered with 1/4" plywood (there are also lots of 1x2" ribs). Glassed it and gelcoated it. That was 1998- still going strong today. That's a 1998 25hp 4 stroke Yamaha on the back. The hull also has a tunnel. If the dew is pretty heavy on the grass in the mornings, I can get this thing up in my front yard.
ag-guy
AG

Here's a pic of me and my boat last year after Hurricane Harvey. We used it for 2 days straight pulling people out of flooded houses.
Haven't had a chance to use it too much lately but I'm hoping to change that this next year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.