Outdoors
Sponsored by

I want smoke something different.

9,510 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by STX Ag
cupofjoe04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What a fantastic idea! That looks amazing!!!
Unemployed
AG
While expensive, smoked rack of lamb is great. If you haven't had tri-tip, give it a shot - it's quick and simple.

Smoked boudin is delicious, too!
AgsMnn
AG
Kenneth wins the thread

I'm doing this over Christmas now as well.
schmellba99
AG
Swarely said:

Never heard of a smoked bologna! How long did you smoke it for?
Oklahoma Prime Rib!

I had never heard of it either until a couple of years ago when a coworker (from Kansas, lives in OK now) told me about it. I still haven't tried it, though it sounds interesting.
Ornlu
AG
How about some https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal-style_smoked_meat

It's like halfway between a pastrami and a Texas syle brisket.
Woods Ag
AG
I do it as well but I don't cure my bacon.

Salt, cracked black pepper and smoke to 155-160. Once cooled I just slice what I need and fry. So damn good, I eat thick pork belly sammiches all the time lately
GSS
What's better than the often-found $1/lb pork shoulders at HEB? It's $0.87/lb pork shoulders at Kroger, and this thread motivated me to (again) make some bacon (may not fit the technical definition, but close enough..) from portions of the shoulder. Examples found here.. Shoulder 'bacon'

Other trimmings saved for grinding with deer later this month, and the blade bone remaining chunk goes on the pit.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
4stringAg
AG
zooguy96 said:

Swarely said:

Do a pork belly and make your own bacon!

I want to do this!!!! How?!?!?!
zooguy, I use Ruhlman's recipe from this blog:

Ruhlman home cured bacon

Really easy to do. I get the pork bellies from Costco, cut them in sections and do a different type of flavor for each section (i.e. peppered, maple (using that McCormick maple spice), etc)
4stringAg
AG
Smoked bologna is awesome.
ursusguy
AG
Tofu
EFE
AG
This will not be happening on my watch, if only for the simple fact that tofu spends less time in my digestive tract than it takes for you to decide whether or not something is edible.
YaGuey09
AG
Smoke a meatloaf and you'll never make it the old way again.

I know I haven't.

Make a couple of minor variations on your favorite meatloaf recipe (using BBQ instead of ketchup, throw in some sliced jalapenos, etc.) and then just smoke it for 3-4 hours.

Ragoo
AG
Osso Bucco
Shaggie 05
AG
I do the bologna fairly regularly and it's great and doesn't last long at my house.

Also, my wife almost demands I do a meatloaf every time there's a fire in the smoker. Always great and takes meatloaf to a whole new level.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Cabrito. The shoulder, specifically.
CrockerCock00
AG
The two most "different" things I've smoked have been:

1) Smoked Apple Pie:

(the bottom left apple was being prepared for a vegan, so no pie crust/egg wash)

2) Tofu

(I'm not a tofu person for starters. Only reason I was smoking this was for that same vegan as mentioned above. I did have to try it out though. It wasn't bad, just not something I'd make for myself if I'm going to smoke something up.)

Ragoo
AG
cut peach in half, cover in brown sugar, smoke until soft, cover in vanilla ice cream.
ursusguy
AG
And people thought I made up smoked tofu.
phorizt
Went to an asian grocery store in Plano and you could buy beef pizzle by the pound. You could probably smoke that. There's some weird stuff in the meat section of asian grocery stores.
Bird Poo
AG
Ragoo said:

cut peach in half, cover in brown sugar, smoke until soft, cover in vanilla ice cream.
This sounds fantastic.
Ragoo
AG
OneNightW said:

Ragoo said:

This sounds fantastic.
it is. Usually a 4th of July staple. After all of the meat is off the pit and bellies are almost full. The fire is cooling down but still hit. Yup. 'Merica
rather be fishing
AG
Tritip, shoulder clod, oxtail.
BigHead 04
AG
We used to put a slice of bread covered in peanut butter on just long enough to toast it, then add honey.
Also worked with ranch dressing.

Also may have been intoxicated during an overnight brisket smoke
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
BigHead 04 said:

We used to put a slice of bread covered in peanut butter on just long enough to toast it, then add honey.

Is there another way to smoke brisket???
BusterAg
AG
This. Thread. Delivers.

God bless you. God bless you every one.
BigHead 04
AG
Tx-Ag2010 said:

BigHead 04 said:

Is there another way to smoke brisket???

Amen!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ellebee
Everyone says the normal stuff like weed, but I say go for bath salts, fentanyl or oxy.
Swarely
So, I think I'm gonna do bologna and beef jerky one day, then lamb shanks with EFE another day, and a brisket for Christmas. I'll report back
EFE
AG
You have a lead on some lamb shanks? Will need to scope out HEB this week to see what lamb parts they have readily available. Not that I don't see legs and chops all the time, but don't remember seeing shanks specifically.
AgEng06
AG
Go shoot a whitetail and use those shanks.
EFE
AG
Busiest time of the work year, and the ranch is 4hrs away. My chosen line of work puts a serious kink in all hunting plans. I used my two weekends off this year to get married and watch the Ags BTHOlsu, so I did this all to myself.
AgEng06
AG
Well one of those weekends was a waste. I'll let you pick which one...

And that sucks about the hunting. I understand though.
Swarely
I check some places out up here. I'm sure Whole Foods or Central Market will have them.
Ragoo
AG
EagleFordEarl said:

Busiest time of the work year, and the ranch is 4hrs away. My chosen line of work puts a serious kink in all hunting plans. I used my two weekends off this year to get married and watch the Ags BTHOlsu, so I did this all to myself.
fall weddings
doubleag91
AG
I saw a video on pulledlamb shoulder that looked very good. I don't remember where or I would post it here.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.