Outdoors
Sponsored by

I want smoke something different.

9,474 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by STX Ag
Swarely
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ragoo said:

EagleFordEarl said:

Busiest time of the work year, and the ranch is 4hrs away. My chosen line of work puts a serious kink in all hunting plans. I used my two weekends off this year to get married and watch the Ags BTHOlsu, so I did this all to myself.
fall weddings

An excuse to get hammered in NYC and bend space and time.
Post removed:
by user
Swarely
If you're in ATX and need some Prague sat, I have plenty to share.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Swarely said:

If you're in ATX and need some Prague sat, I have plenty to share.
If in Houston, can also help. Although, easy way to start.. use "Buckboard bacon cure"... already has salt, pink salt, suger, etc mixed up. It's for making buckboard bacon but works just fine on porkbelly.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
jja79
AG
OneNightW said:

Ragoo said:

cut peach in half, cover in brown sugar, smoke until soft, cover in vanilla ice cream.
This sounds fantastic.

I brush some olive oil on the meat side and put it on the grill skin side up for 2 or 3 minutes and it's a hit.
GinaLinetti
AG
ellebee said:

Everyone says the normal stuff like weed, but I say go for bath salts, fentanyl or oxy.

I think Mr Swarls prefers the pole, ya crack head.
Ragoo
AG
CherryLodes said:

ellebee said:

Everyone says the normal stuff like weed, but I say go for bath salts, fentanyl or oxy.

I think Mr Swarls prefers the pole, ya crack head.
GinaLinetti
AG
Swarely
Damn, and I was about to text you to see if you wanted a Christmas card this year.
GinaLinetti
AG
Just testy since I hadn't gotten one yet. Had to get your attention somehow!
AG 86 BC
AG
The next time you have too many tomatoes, cut them in half and smoke them cut side up on low heat (180-200) for about an hour. They make a great smoked salsa.

Smoked Speckled trout makes trout chowder that much better.
Post removed:
by user
lb sand
AG
That venison ham looks amazing.

I have done a pastrami from brisket and it turned out great. It takes at least 1week, maybe 2weeks curing time depending on your exact method. You are essentially making a corned beef, then smoke as you would a regular brisket.

A few have mentioned lamb shanks can be great on a smoker. I have always braised lamb shanks in a cast iron Dutch oven. I suppose you could do essentially the same instead of on a cooktop, put the whole Dutch oven in the smoker.

Another favorite of mine is bone in "leg of lamb", not to be confused with lamb shanks. I de bone the leg, then rub both the inside and out with a paste of garlic, kosher salt, black pepper, oregano, lemon zest then the juice of the lemon and enough evo to make it a paste. Roll it back up and tie it with kitchen twine. Smoked at 300 till internal temp gets to 145.

One last idea I have done that I really liked was smoked tamales. You make the tamales however you like. Put them in a cheap pan with a few inches of water, cover tightly with foil and smoke for a few hours.

I'm totally going to try kenneth's "Ham" but with a leg of lamb.

STX Ag
AG
Surprised no one has mentioned pizza (that I saw). Smoker pizza is amazing, plus the kids love making their little pizzas.
Swarely
Austin

Prague salt is for curing the pork belly
California Ag 90
AG
Duck and goose are fantastic on the smoker. Loaded with fat, handles smoke well.

some like to use a lot of sweetness in a brine or mop with honey, maple syrup or brown sugar, but I like just kosher salt, coarse black pepper, small amount of brown sugar (not much, just enough to add a little sweetness, not any thing like a crust) a bit of cinnamon as a rub, smoked over cherry. great change of pace from beef or pork, much more forgiving than turkey in terms of not worrying about drying out.
Post removed:
by user
STX Ag
AG
Fark you.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.