Outdoors
Sponsored by

Dear jackass in the POS pickup on Peach Creek in CS

44,280 Views | 390 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by normaleagle05
eric76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

Ragoo said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

Can a bicyclist answer an simple question for me?

If two or three cars or farm equipment stack up behind you, why is it unacceptable to pull off into a driveway and let them pass?

Hell I do that in my car if I'm slowing up traffic.

I'll admit I developed a primal hatred of bikes while watching the blow through every stop sign on campus (hello Chem building) but park 5 minutes too long and the campus police are out towing a vehicle.
cyclists are clipped in, it is not practical to pull over, unclip and get back up to 20+ mph. Cycling is not easy. It is a grueling mental and physical challenge. Is it really difficult for a motor vehicle to be patient and pick an opportunity to pass safely? We do this all the time on FM roads behind joe grandpa in a single cab 1970s pickup going 45.

So I'm supposed to be patient with 20' wide equipment nearly blocking the whole road and dodging roadside signs for 5+ miles down to the next field because someone doesn't want to pull over 30 seconds into a driveway?

You are either a vehicle or not.
Yes, you are.

Pulling into someone's driveway would be stupid. Besides, it's not always easy to back up a plow and in some cases it is practically impossible.
eric76
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

But my point is the cyclists get to do as I say and not as I do?

You literally would rather endanger others lives and those riding for a stretch of multiple miles than pull over and let said farm equipment traffic by?

If I'm in a truck, I'm in agreement. But farm equipment on a farm road specifically maintained for farm use, is not enough to slow down and move over?

Do you just blow by cops with lights on too?

Seriously I don't get this whole argument. If these cyclists were in a vehicle and sight seeing or driving slow with a spare tire, they would move over or pull over to let traffic by. But you put a tiny piece of metal between their legs and spandex and they won't share the road.
You would probably really hate someone driving cattle down the highway.
eric76
AG
cevans_40 said:

Ragoo said:

I don't cycle on public roads because of the attitude of most in this thread. I cycle using a trainer and an online app.

But cycling isn't just exercise.

If you aren't riding your bike to and from work/school, then it is merely exercise (especially when dressed up like Lance Armstrong). I get it. Some people are so self absorbed that they believe the world revolves around themselves. I am not advocating running them over, just wish they could keep it in the gym or home where it didn't cause others issues.
I used to ride my bike to the grocery store. To doctor's appointments. To restaurants. To other local stores. To visit friends. ... .
eric76
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

it was a farming town and everyone we passed or held up was family or I knew them.
When we first married, I asked my Houston-raised wife why she didn't wave at oncoming traffic. Her answer was basically that it was dangerous to do that in Houston, plus she didn't know them.

I assured her that they all knew who she was, and she would know them soon, so wave.
We had someone visiting a couple of years ago who asked if he looked like someone local. We were surprised at the question and asked why. He replied, "Because everyone keeps waving at me!"
BoerneGator
AG
HDeathstar said:

I am all for bikes when they are in use to get from one place to another, and following all the vehicle rules

If it appears that they are using the roads for recreation or exercise (bike club), I think they impede traffic.

For the recreation types, I would like to see them take their hobby to personal property. Sometimes I feel like I am paying taxes to support their recreation. Pool your money and build a 20 mile track in the hill country to ride on for fun.
What other sport/recreation is permitted on our public streets and roadways without prior arrangement and coordination with local authorities? Answer: NONE!

What's the difference in putting a basketball goal out in the street for a neighborhood game? Or a game of stickball. Let commuters deal with that! Sure!

Like was said, I have NO problem with the occasional commuter who chooses to ride their bike to work or even to get the groceries, etc. But recreational riding is complete BS; inconsiderate of the traveling public, and a public hazard/nuisance and needs to be outlawed for public safety reasons. (But it'll never happen, and the situation will only get worse)
fightingfarmer09
eric76 said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

Ragoo said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

If two or three cars or farm equipment stack up behind you, why is it unacceptable to pull off into a driveway and let them pass?

I'll admit I developed a primal hatred of bikes while watching the blow through every stop sign on campus (hello Chem building) but park 5 minutes too long and the campus police are out towing a vehicle.
cyclists are clipped in, it is not practical to pull over, unclip and get back up to 20+ mph. Cycling is not easy. It is a grueling mental and physical challenge. Is it really difficult for a motor vehicle to be patient and pick an opportunity to pass safely? We do this all the time on FM roads behind joe grandpa in a single cab 1970s pickup going 45.

So I'm supposed to be patient with 20' wide equipment nearly blocking the whole road and dodging roadside signs for 5+ miles down to the next field because someone doesn't want to pull over 30 seconds into a driveway?

Yes, you are.

Pulling into someone's driveway would be stupid. Besides, it's not always easy to back up a plow and in some cases it is practically impossible.

Huh?

Why is pulling over into a driveway when you are on a bike slowing down farm equipment (me) a bad idea?

In the Brazos bottom we get a few racers, but primarily out of shape Houstonians that want to "see" nature. At a snail's pace and in the middle of the road.
eric76
AG
LRHF said:

Sometimes I ride my bike to the local bayou to catch carp on the fly (ya know- outdoors related!). There are a lot of pesky stop signs in the neighborhood, when I don't seen anybody coming, I blow through them... gotta get to the fishing hole! If a car is coming, I stop.

When can I get A Doss sticker for my bike, I voted!

Be nice in the road, it sux when people try to kill you. I've had beer bottles and slurpees thrown at me. Had somebody try and run me off the road once, ended in an altercation in the middle of the damn highway (yea, POS meth head needed to stop in the middle of the highway. This was on a lightly travelled road with a huge shoulder, which we were on!).

Both groups need to show a little patience and follow the spirit of the law. When cars and bikes are in proximity or traffic is an issue follow the letter of the law. Cyclist do get 3' but always lose. It is wise to take up more space when there isn't room for a car to pass. Pull over and let traffic by if it becomes a problem but better yet, pick a different route. There are Many roads that I "have a right to ride" in Houston that you wouldn't catch me on!
Years ago when I lived and worked in a suburb of Houston, one local bicycle rider was a 14 year old girl who was one of the strongest racers in the state in her age group. I used to see her around all the time. One time at the local bike shop, she told me that someone had thrown a carton of sour milk at her while riding and pretty much covered her with it.

The worst anyone threw at me that I noticed was an empty beer can.
fightingfarmer09
Did the cattle drive on the FM road a few times during these floods. But we had the County close the roads first.

Worst part was the city cops coming out with flashing lights thinking they were helping.
eric76
AG
Windy City Ag said:

There is a decent amount of psychological research into why motorists hate cyclists so much. This came up at a backyard bbq a few years ago from a weird neighbor of mine.

Cyclists routinely break the complex and neccessary set of motor vehicle and driver norms that govern how we all speed alongside each other without going crazy. People don't like speeders or slow drivers or texters. The leotard wearing, rule-ignoring cycling crowd takes that to a whole other level.

The second angle is the free rider problem. We all pay taxes to maintain roads to ensure we can go about our daily business. Cyclists exploit that by using public roads for their own recreational purposes and slow down/gum up/complicate a system not built or maintained for their physical fitness interests.
You do realize, don't you, that most bicycle riders also drive cars and pay road taxes. Also, the amount of wear and tear on the highways from bicycles is vanishingly small. The amount of maintenance costs to highways to deal with road wear caused by bicycles is probably $0.
eric76
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

eric76 said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

Ragoo said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

Yes, you are.

Huh?

Why is pulling over into a driveway when you are on a bike slowing down farm equipment (me) a bad idea?

In the Brazos bottom we get a few racers, but primarily out of shape Houstonians that want to "see" nature. At a snail's pace and in the middle of the road.
I read that as meaning that you thought people pulling farm equipment down the highway should pull into driveways.
eric76
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

Did the cattle drive on the FM road a few times during these floods. But we had the County close the roads first.

Worst part was the city cops coming out with flashing lights thinking they were helping.
Yeah. Flashing lights wouldn't exactly help.

We never closed the roads for cattle. On county roads, there usually wasn't enough traffic to even think of doing that. On state highways, I'm not sure that the county has that authority.

Someone drove cattle past my office a few months ago:

Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

You do realize, don't you, that most bicycle riders also drive cars and pay road taxes. Also, the amount of wear and tear on the highways from bicycles is vanishingly small. The amount of maintenance costs to highways to deal with road wear caused by bicycles is probably $0.

Right. Yes. I don't think the point regarding taxes has to do with cyclists actually driving cars or inflicting wear and tear.

The point is (I think . . I am no a psychologist or economist analyzing the issue) that people pay into a system developed for motor vehicle transportation. Weekend rides that shut down streets, traffic due to a peleton of cyclists slowing down the overall flow of cars, etc. all represent a bit of a hijacking of the system for personal pleasure or fitness.

Modern roads weren't built for cyclists. Cyclicists take advantage of roads anyway causing headaches for people using the roads for their intended purpose, which is people travelling at a much faster speed and obeying a distinct set of rules that cyclists usually ignore.
WC87
AG
MODS CAN WE SHUT THIS DOWN
BoerneGator
AG
Quote:

Weekend rides that shut down streets, traffic due to a peleton of cyclists slowing down the overall flow of cars, etc. all represent a bit of a hijacking of the system for personal pleasure or fitness.

Modern roads weren't built for cyclists. Cyclicists take advantage of roads anyway causing headaches for people using the roads for their intended purpose, which is people travelling at a much faster speed and obeying a distinct set of rules that cyclists usually ignore.

Why is even necessary to point this out? And after so doing, who, in their right mind, can argue the logic?

It's just typical of the upside down world we now live in.
cecil77
AG
Quote:

What other sport/recreation is permitted on our public streets and roadways? Answer: NONE!
I sympathize with your point, however there are numerous auto rallies, fun runs, poker runs, antique car rallies, and other activities involving motorized vehicles that clog our Hill Country Roads with regularity. Those are 100% sport/recreation.

A 15mph group of bicycles I can get around. Thirty Harley's 15 feet apart traveling 15mph below the limit, are much harder to pass. Not to mention they can catch me when they get offended that I deigned to have the audacity legally pass them!
BoerneGator
AG
Apples to oranges. Sure, it's annoying to get behind a huge passel of Harley riders, jeeps, Land Rovers, yada, yada... But they're using the road for the purpose it was intended. Roads make good landing strips for model airplanes, drones, model race cars, on and on it goes. Should those folks be allowed to co-opt the roadways as well, so long as they're willing and agree to "share it"?

Edit to add: see my edit in my previous post at top of page
cecil77
AG
FWIW, I find that emoji inappropriate for our comments.

However, your point (that I addressed) was that the use was recreational, not the improper use. If the use is improper, the purpose becomes irrelevant. If, however, the purpose becomes the issue, that applies to all vehicles. So no, it's not apples to oranges.

As to model airplanes, etc, that's apples to oranges. Roadways are for transportation of humans and their goods. A bicycle is using the roadway for transportation, so it is the same activity as a motorized vehicle, just much, much slower.

And I agree with you on recreational uses, they should all be a lower priority that non-recreational transportation. BUT, that opens a can of worms. If riding my bike to work is different from riding my bike for a fun ride, then that would have to apply to my car as well.

So, we're right back to the issue of appropriate use, not the purpose of use. Which this thread has covered very well.
Tumble Weed
WC87 said:

Curious as to why this would warrant a lock? It looks like 6 pages of entertainment to me with 8500 views so far. It definitely brightened up my rather dull Monday morning.
BoerneGator
AG
cecil77 said:

FWIW, I find that emoji inappropriate for our comments.

However, your point (that I addressed) was that the use was recreational, not the improper use. If the use is improper, the purpose becomes irrelevant. If, however, the purpose becomes the issue, that applies to all vehicles. So no, it's not apples to oranges.

As to model airplanes, etc, that's apples to oranges. Roadways are for transportation of humans and their goods. A bicycle is using the roadway for transportation, so it is the same activity as a motorized vehicle, just much, much slower.

And I agree with you on recreational uses, they should all be a lower priority that non-recreational transportation. BUT, that opens a can of worms. If riding my bike to work is different from riding my bike for a fun ride, then that would have to apply to my car as well.

So, we're right back to the issue of appropriate use, not the purpose of use. Which this thread has covered very well.
Okay Cecil, no idea why you object to the emoji. What does it represent to you? Should I be embarrassed for using it? Because I use it a lot, and it represents a teasing or sarcastic figure of speech. As you well know, I use sarcasm most of the time in discussions/arguments.

Now, to the point at hand, I'm arguing against the recreational riding of bikes on public roads as improper/inappropriate, although now legal, if somewhat restricted. It's a selfish way to exercise and recreate. How is it allowed when basketball, baseball, dodgeball, kickball, among many other forms of recreation, are not?

What exactly are we arguing? I contend the activity is BOTH recreational and inappropriate. I think you're accusing me of being inconsistent if I fail to complain about motorcycle and vehicle rallies. Is that it?
BoerneGator
AG
Tumble Weed said:

WC87 said:

Curious as to why this would warrant a lock? It looks like 6 pages of entertainment to me with 8500 views so far. It definitely brightened up my rather dull Monday morning.
Yeah, Pete! What gives, you old curmudgeon, you!
Cancelled
AG
WC87 said:

Why? Just don't read it.
MouthBQ98
AG
Cyclists don't bother me. Leave early, plan adequate travel time, and practice patience.

At least most of the cyclists are fairly healthy and not driving up your health insurance bills!
cecil77
AG
Quote:

What exactly are we arguing? I contend the activity is BOTH recreational and inappropriate. I think you're accusing me of being inconsistent if I fail to complain about motorcycle and vehicle rallies. Is that it?

Bicycles can be used for transportation, basketball goals, etc can not. Bicycles are vehicles. Roads are for vehicles. Therefore a bicycle can use a road appropriately as well as inappropriately. Whether the purpose of said use is recreational or business is immaterial.

Both bicycles and motorized vehicles can be used for recreational purposes on a road. If one is allowed, and the other not, then the recreational use is irrelevant. Only appropriate use is relevant.

And I agree, as I've stated several times, that many of the road uses by bicycles are inappropriate. However given the number of times Harleys have done an even more efficient job of blocking the road, and for much longer distances, yes, to be consistent they should be thrown in as well.

Note: I take that emoji as blowing a raspberry, sticking out my tongue at someone. Essentially an acceptable flipping off.
Tumble Weed
cecil77 said:

Quote:

Bicycles can be used for transportation, basketball goals, etc can not. Bicycles are vehicles. Roads are for vehicles. Therefore a bicycle can use a road appropriately as well as inappropriately. Whether the purpose of said use is recreational or business is immaterial.

Both bicycles and motorized vehicles can be used for recreational purposes on a road. If one is allowed, and the other not, then the recreational use is irrelevant. Only appropriate use is relevant.

And I agree, as I've stated several times, that many of the road uses by bicycles are inappropriate. However given the number of times Harleys have done an even more efficient job of blocking the road, and for much longer distances, yes, to be consistent they should be thrown in as well.

Note: I take that emoji as blowing a raspberry, sticking out my tongue at someone. Essentially an acceptable flipping off.
I would buy a premium subscription if I could use a flipping off emoji.

Not to flip you off for this post, just for general use. We need to make this happen!
BoerneGator
AG
Tell me how you determine whether a driver is on a recreational drive or not (if it's not a Sunday afternoon)? I consider your argument absurd, to compare an automobile recreational drive to that of a bicycle. I previously stated I have NO problem with the riding of a bicycle for transportation. And with that, I'm done.

And for the record, I do not use the emoji as you suggest, nor does it mean what you suggest. What do you base that opinion on?
JSKolache
AG
Effing hate bikes, esp groups, on 2-lane roads
mpl35
AG
BoerneGator said:

Tell me how you determine whether a driver is on a recreational drive or not (if it's not a Sunday afternoon)? I consider your argument absurd, to compare an automobile recreational drive to that of a bicycle. I previously stated I have NO problem with the riding of a bicycle for transportation. And with that, I'm done.

And for the record, I do not use the emoji as you suggest, nor does it mean what you suggest. What do you base that opinion on?
A recreational driver doesn't clog up traffic like a biker does. Worthless irrelevant "point."

Oogway
Anyone else watch those old-timey black and white movies that have roadway scenes featuring interactions between horse and buggy and new fangled automobiles? That's what this thread reminds me of.

Seriously, I worry about some of you and your health. Are some of you just venting some pent up rage online, or do you really sit in your car/truck steaming and swearing because of some bicyclists? Calling people POS and worse? Really? If you find yourself spitting venom such as this, maybe have your blood pressure checked to make sure you're not heading to heart attack city. I like most of you guys and going around heated up over some inconvenient and daft people is not worth it in the timeline of your life. Which should be long and filled with wonderful tributes not, "he was a mean ol' son of a gun who used to run grannies and cyclists into a ditch and cackle with glee. "

On a side note, was out with my young driver this weekend and while we saw no cyclists, we did come upon one big piece of farm equipment ( yeah, no clue what it was-husband is the farming side of the family) and two kids on horseback riding down the road. Had him slow down and enjoy the view. It's not like they were going from Texas to Oregon or anything.
BrazosDog02
AG
JSKolache said:

Effing hate bikes, esp groups, on 2-lane roads
A new contender has entered the ring!
the pit man
I just don't understand all this "clipped in" stuff. When I road bikes we were bare footed and had bandages on both big toes.
BCStalk
the pit man said:

I just don't understand all this "clipped in" stuff. When I road bikes we were bare footed and had bandages on both big toes.

Everyone clips in bro. Get with the times.
the pit man
BCStalk said:

the pit man said:

LOL
Ogre09
AG
GE said:

There was a ride in downtown Houston a few years ago where these POS were riding with several hundred bicyclists. One out front would literally park in front of cars stopped at a red light and not let them move even when the light turned green until all the bikers had passed. I was the second car in line in one of the lanes and sat there for a good 10 minutes. Rarely in my life have I felt more murderous at other human beings than I did at these people who took it upon themselves to go out and have a good time at the expense of the mobility of countless others who had places to go.

The only good cyclist is a.......

...cyclist who realizes roadways are not the proper places for bicycles and gets off the damn street.
AgFan131
Because it hurts water camels feelings?
Cromagnum
AG
BCStalk said:

the pit man said:

Technically it's riding "clipless". The old school ones where you strap your shoes in are being "clipped in". It's dumb, I know.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.