Outdoors
Sponsored by

Dear jackass in the POS pickup on Peach Creek in CS

44,284 Views | 390 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by normaleagle05
DeWrecking Crew
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Agreed, but is sounds like this thing had been brewing for months, and the bikers decided to say screw it and start riding 2-3 deep, essentially giving the middle finger to vehicles
Ragoo
AG
Nothing like a cycling thread on the OB to reveal the true character of posters here. Makes everything else posted a little less significant.
HarleySpoon
AG
What I don't get is how folks would risk their lives in these situations. 99.9999% of the folks on Texags that get annoyed with cyclists would never put cyclists lives at risk. However, there's a solid 5% to 10% of society that could give a rats ass about "accidentally" killing someone on a bike or running another car off the road etc....they just don't care, have no assets, and put no value on human life. Why would anyone in the world consistently piss those folks off and hope they are not the one they choose to take their unhappiness out on.
fightingfarmer09
Can a bicyclist answer an simple question for me?

If two or three cars or farm equipment stack up behind you, why is it unacceptable to pull off into a driveway and let them pass?

Hell I do that in my car if I'm slowing up traffic.

I'll admit I developed a primal hatred of bikes while watching the blow through every stop sign on campus (hello Chem building) but park 5 minutes too long and the campus police are out towing a vehicle.
CanyonAg77
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

If two or three cars or farm equipment stack up behind you, why is it unacceptable to pull off into a driveway and let them pass?

To be fair, I've seen many a car stack up traffic, with no effort to move over, pull off, etc.

Jackasses are in all types of vehicles. Anal orifice bike dudes have nothing on truckers in I-40. If you think you're immune to road rage, drive the hilly part of I-40 between the Texas border and Albuquerque.
zooguy96
Man, this thread triggered a bunch of you guys.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
BCStalk
Move it to the automotive board!
88planoAg
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Are we still on page 1?

If so, PAGE 1.

Now for MY rant. I live on nothing bu FM roads for most of my travel into town, next to asshats driving 55mph or slower in places its hard for me to pass, cyclists are the worst.

I get it that you can't ride on the sidewalk. Cool. There is no sidewalk.

I get that you can't ride on the shoulder. Cool. There is no shoulder.

Personally, I have nearly brushed many cyclists due to their unwillingness to move over or stay over. I can squeeze my F250 through an 8' wide toll booth. The road is PLENTY WIDE guys. It's dangerous. Physics is not on your side and I'm not crossing the center line and risking my vehicle, family, horses because a cyclist is stubborn. MOST are good about moving over, some just act like they don't feel like they should...and that's fine. Not the hill I choose to die on, but whatever.

We had an incident in waller county not long ago where someone had finally had enough of this on some back roads and he did run over some cyclists. On purpose. Snagged a group of them. People died. It's not safe.

My suggestion is to find safer places for you to ride or you better make those damn bikes really GD skinny, kids.

Cyclists can see debris and other roadway hazards that cars cannot. There is a good chance that the cyclists are riding that way due to it not being safe to be over further to the right.

ALSO, you should not be trying to squeeze by a cyclist and you are going to kill someone if you continue to drive like that. Passing a cyclist safely requires you to move over. If there isn't room to move over safely then there isn't room to pass the cyclist.
Ragoo
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

I'll admit I developed a primal hatred of bikes while watching the blow through every stop sign on campus (hello Chem building) but park 5 minutes too long and the campus police are out towing a vehicle.
cyclists are clipped in, it is not practical to pull over, unclip and get back up to 20+ mph. Cycling is not easy. It is a grueling mental and physical challenge. Is it really difficult for a motor vehicle to be patient and pick an opportunity to pass safely? We do this all the time on FM roads behind joe grandpa in a single cab 1970s pickup going 45.
Your Friend
expresswrittenconsent said:

100% of people become selfish, impatient ass holes when in their car.

I'm not a cyclist nor ever have been, and this statement is fact
HalifaxAg
AG
How about a simple solution of a minimum speed limit. If your method of transportation cannot maintain the minimum speed, then it is illegal to use that road. If your vehicle maintains the speed, then you are subject to all the same regulations of lights, signals, signage, etc and you use a full lane space like everyone else. Problem solved
Ragoo
AG
Go pitch it to your state representatives.
Cromagnum
AG
queso1 said:

Perhaps it makes you feel like a man to intentionally run cyclists off the road. Your jackass mentality is going to end up getting someone killed someday. It's enough that people are killed by accident, but this kind of reckless behavior is ridiculous.

I promise you that next time you do this, you're going to get a rock through your windshield because I will be carrying one with me.

So, I was minding my business riding on the very edge of the road and I hear a horn blaring from about 30 yards behind me. I thought it was just a driver trying to give me the heads up. Then he came within 2 feet of me and tried to run me off the road. He was clearly a coward because when I beckoned him to stop and confronted him he sped off.

I simply do not understand the animosity that develops towards cyclists when you put an ******* in a pickup truck.

FWIW I drive a pick up. End of rant.

I carry my 9mm while cycling just for this reason.
cevans_40
AG
I live in what seems to be the bicyclist capital of the world. It is nothing for a drive to or from work on a Saturday to take 20 minutes longer due to these guys and gals out getting their exercise. I really can't understand how you can feel okay that your preferred form of exercise can cause so many people such an inconvenience.
Ragoo
AG
I don't cycle on public roads because of the attitude of most in this thread. I cycle using a trainer and an online app.

But cycling isn't just exercise.
fightingfarmer09
Ragoo said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

cyclists are clipped in, it is not practical to pull over, unclip and get back up to 20+ mph. Cycling is not easy. It is a grueling mental and physical challenge. Is it really difficult for a motor vehicle to be patient and pick an opportunity to pass safely? We do this all the time on FM roads behind joe grandpa in a single cab 1970s pickup going 45.

So I'm supposed to be patient with 20' wide equipment nearly blocking the whole road and dodging roadside signs for 5+ miles down to the next field because someone doesn't want to pull over 30 seconds into a driveway?

You are either a vehicle or not.
88planoAg
AG
The current law allows cyclists on roadways and requires cars to share the road. This includes cyclists claiming a full lane when necessary, and only riding as far right as is safe.

If you don't like the law work to change it.

If you don't know the current law you are part of the problem.

Cyclists breaking the law can be ticketed and should be - just like cars. Rolling through stop signs and being a jerk on the roadway is, as others have said, not limited to cyclists but rather is the majority of all road users.
Ragoo
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

Ragoo said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

So I'm supposed to be patient with 20' wide equipment nearly blocking the whole road and dodging roadside signs for 5+ miles down to the next field because someone wants to exercise?
is acting like a civilized human being toward another human obeying the law is laugh/cry worthy, be my guest.
88planoAg
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

Ragoo said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

So I'm supposed to be patient with 20' wide equipment nearly blocking the whole road and dodging roadside signs for 5+ miles down to the next field because someone doesn't want to pull over 30 seconds into a driveway?

You are either a vehicle or not.
Yes. The alternative is risking the cyclist's life and possibly yours if you pass in an unsafe manner. Yes, be patient.
BCStalk
This thread is awesome!

To be honest, I can't stand cyclists, but I am definitely not in any hurry to be inconvenienced for a few minutes while I am waiting to pass safely. I think I am personally more offended by the fact that I am driving in my truck behind what I think is a woman with long brown hair and a great body, only to find out that it's some dude. Come on guys, at least wear a sign on your back describing your gender.
mpl35
AG
88planoAg said:

The current law allows cyclists on roadways and requires cars to share the road. This includes cyclists claiming a full lane when necessary, and only riding as far right as is safe.

If you don't like the law work to change it.

If you don't know the current law you are part of the problem.

Cyclists breaking the law can be ticketed and should be - just like cars. Rolling through stop signs and being a jerk on the roadway is, as others have said, not limited to cyclists but rather is the majority of all road users.
You realize laws vary by state and locality, right? Locality regulations are allowed in 48 states.
fightingfarmer09
But my point is the cyclists get to do as I say and not as I do?

You literally would rather endanger others lives and those riding for a stretch of multiple miles than pull over and let said farm equipment traffic by?

If I'm in a truck, I'm in agreement. But farm equipment on a farm road specifically maintained for farm use, is not enough to slow down and move over?

Do you just blow by cops with lights on too?

Seriously I don't get this whole argument. If these cyclists were in a vehicle and sight seeing or driving slow with a spare tire, they would move over or pull over to let traffic by. But you put a tiny piece of metal between their legs and spandex and they won't share the road.
cevans_40
AG
Ragoo said:

I don't cycle on public roads because of the attitude of most in this thread. I cycle using a trainer and an online app.

But cycling isn't just exercise.

If you aren't riding your bike to and from work/school, then it is merely exercise (especially when dressed up like Lance Armstrong). I get it. Some people are so self absorbed that they believe the world revolves around themselves. I am not advocating running them over, just wish they could keep it in the gym or home where it didn't cause others issues.
MemphisAg1
AG
HalifaxAg said:

How about a simple solution of a minimum speed limit. If your method of transportation cannot maintain the minimum speed, then it is illegal to use that road. If your vehicle maintains the speed, then you are subject to all the same regulations of lights, signals, signage, etc and you use a full lane space like everyone else. Problem solved
This is the answer. Got no problem with bikes if they can do the minimum speed required for the roadway. But if they're doing 20 in a 45 minimum, they need to get the hell off the road. Just like Grandma in her old Cadillac or Bubba on his tractor.
45-70Ag
AG
Man this thread got people fired up
BrazosDog02
AG
The escalation of this thread is most pleasing.
CTGilley
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

Austin County won't allow bike racing anymore because of the safety issues it brings with it.

My only comment is why are cyclists so important they can't stop and get in the ditch or driveway when they are causing a traffic jam?

I frequently pass these groups around the farm when I'm on a tractor with equipment and can't get these guys to move over without endangering the entire regular flow of traffic just to continue down the road.

Between this and the routinely running stop signs I don't think too highly of cyclists.

Someone needs to tell the huge race I got behind when I went to see my uncle a few months ago. I think the staging area was at the fairgrounds.
The Wonderer
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

You literally would rather endanger others lives and those riding for a stretch of multiple miles than pull over and let said farm equipment traffic by?

If I'm in a truck, I'm in agreement. But farm equipment on a farm road specifically maintained for farm use, is not enough to slow down and move over?

Seriously I don't get this whole argument. If these cyclists were in a vehicle and sight seeing or driving slow with a spare tire, they would move over or pull over to let traffic by. But you put a tiny piece of metal between their legs and spandex and they won't share the road.
If you're moving a large tractor with implements, do you move over or pull into driveways and let cars pass?
Ragoo
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

you wrote 4 paragraphs for a hypothetical situation regards equally slow moving farm equipment?

Okay chief. Piss and moan all you want.

You would think cyclists were taking away your guns or something with the amount of hate.
SCHTICK00
AG
The Wonderer said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

If you're moving a large tractor with implements, do you move over or pull into driveways and let cars pass?

Absolutely. For courtesy reasons and to prevent what will happen when they try and pass without being able to see what's coming. Hard to see around a tractor or combine.
CanyonAg77
AG
The Wondere said:

Depends. If it's possible and it's safe, sure.

As I said earlier, wide equipment is a problem, we were taught from an early age to NOT pull over with tractor mounted equipment. If possible, we'd pull over in a drive, or if the ditch were shallow, we'd slow down, turn 90 degrees, and put the front wheels in the ditch. You could usually get far enough over to allow someone to pass.

I once had a 28 foot plow, and was pulling an anhydrous ammonia nurse tank. This is a rig impossible to pull over or pull into a small turnout. I slowed when nearing the intersection, hoping the oncoming car had the sense to pull onto the cross road until I passed. He did not, and rolled to a stop, nose to nose with my tractor. I just sat there and stared at him until he had the sense to back up, pull over, and let me by.
CanyonAg77
AG
SCHTICK00 said:

The Wonderer said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

Absolutely. For courtesy reasons and to prevent what will happen when they try and pass without being able to see what's coming. Hard to see around a tractor or combine.
That's a mixed bag. I try not to pull over and make following traffic think it's safe to pass, if it is not. If someone is coming from the front, and you pull over, I guarantee you that the guy behind you will attempt to pass, too.
cevans_40
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

Austin County won't allow bike racing anymore because of the safety issues it brings with it.

My only comment is why are cyclists so important they can't stop and get in the ditch or driveway when they are causing a traffic jam?

I frequently pass these groups around the farm when I'm on a tractor with equipment and can't get these guys to move over without endangering the entire regular flow of traffic just to continue down the road.

Between this and the routinely running stop signs I don't think too highly of cyclists.

When did this happen? I live in Austin county and had no idea. I guess now that I think about it I haven't seen the several mile long train of bikes nearly as often as before.
The Wonderer
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

The Wondere said:

Depends. If it's possible and it's safe, sure.

As I said earlier, wide equipment is a problem, we were taught from an early age to NOT pull over with tractor mounted equipment. If possible, we'd pull over in a drive, or if the ditch were shallow, we'd slow down, turn 90 degrees, and put the front wheels in the ditch. You could usually get far enough over to allow someone to pass.

I once had a 28 foot plow, and was pulling an anhydrous ammonia nurse tank. This is a rig impossible to pull over or pull into a small turnout. I slowed when nearing the intersection, hoping the oncoming car had the sense to pull onto the cross road until I passed. He did not, and rolled to a stop, nose to nose with my tractor. I just sat there and stared at him until he had the sense to back up, pull over, and let me by.
This is what I was hoping to elicit as I was taught the same.
Rongagin71
AG
I like to walk, so meet lots of bicyclists on the sidewalks, never had a problem yet...but these aren't the same set of people that buy expensive bikes, and clothes to match, and ride for many miles at a time next to fast moving cars.
There is something about that second set of bicyclists that does irritate people.
But the biggest danger is probably alcohol, drugs, and texting rather than irritated people.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.