Outdoors
Sponsored by

Fire at Philmont

52,526 Views | 333 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BigHead 04
CT'97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
San Juan Mountain Huts is up in the Telluride CO area, quite a bit north but maybe still with in the bus travel range.
They run hut based threw hikes. I'm sure they are booked at this point but if you didn't need to stay in the huts and just needed them for food and resupply you might be able to make it work. I would call them and explain what your situation is and see if they can work with you.
Its beautiful country and some staggering peaks like no other in Colorado.
wangus12
AG
All of Dean Cow was lost and Harlan only lost one building. Color me surprised
ursusguy
AG
Yep, just saw that. Wow

A bit sad. My first year on staff was as a PC at Dean Cow......there is some concern about what the heat might have done to the rock there

Logistically, this is good thing. What will be interesting is the water situation. At least when I was there, Harlan was the biggest pain in the rear for water.
wadd96
AG
ursusguy said:

Yep, just saw that. Wow

A bit sad. My first year on staff was as a PC at Dean Cow......there is some concern about what the heat might have done to the rock there

Logistically, this is good thing. What will be interesting is the water situation. At least when I was there, Harlan was the biggest pain in the rear for water.

Dean Cow and Harlan were both on my 2nd trek... Sad days.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Pooh Ah
AG
We are going to inform Philmont to put us down for 2019. They offered to

1. Reschedule us for August (No go due to band and fall sports)
2. Keep money and reschedule for 2019 (Crew elected this)
3. Send money to any scout camp.
4. Full refund

Southwest Airlines is refunding all money to affected crews travelling with them. Our agent had 45 crews on SW Air.

Our bus charter has contracts to deal with but will be working to maximize our refunds.

12 month delay in the trek, some headaches over travel money but we were not in the trail when the fire broke.
swood
AG
Our crews are also looking at 2019 for similar reasons. We were driving personal vehicles and were able to cancel hotel reservations without penalty. Philmont 2019 here we come.

From the maps posted earlier, it looks like the fire is flaring back up after the weekend rain. I hope they're able to get it under control and run treks during the second half of the summer.
ursusguy
AG
Guys, I am so glad to hear y'all are able to figure some things out.

Yeah, I wasn't overly optimistic about the rain. Things dry out so fast out there. The good thing is they got a lot of burn out operations done so most major infrastructure issues are addressed.
CanyonAg77
AG
One of the many reasons I use Southwest Airlines if I can
Pooh Ah
AG
A good article from last year:

The Heart of Darkness: A walk through the scorched landscapes where our forest used to be and a glimpse of our future fires

Quote:

First there's a spark, and then the fire. We all stare at the sky, smell the smoke. After the trees and brush and roots are gone, floods roar through arroyos and down hillsides. Weeds invade as soon as the ground has cooled.

Often, the long-term changes aren't that obvious, especially when compared with flames and floods. But what's been happening across tens of thousands of acres within the Jemez Mountains isn't subtle. Nor are changes happening slowly.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Quote:

And I finally, viscerally, understand what firefighters and land managers have been saying for decades: This forest is not sustainable in our warming world.
So the research referenced by the article indicates that historically, fires were periodic and low-intensity, but that modern fire-suppression practices leads to less frequent, more catastrophic fires that destroy forest regeneration. Yet the conclusion the author ends the story with is that global warming is to blame, because, he feels it is so?
Pooh Ah
AG
Yup, that was unnecessary and distracted from the subject matter but still good information in the article
ursusguy
AG
In the world of wildland firefighting, yes a few degrees difference and changes in precipitation patterns are an issue.
ursusguy
AG
Just an fyi.....the Denver Area Council just posted on the Philmont Staff Association FB page that they still have some openings in their High Adventure programs. Just throwing it out there.
Pooh Ah
AG
From Philmont:

Many of you watching the events of the Ute Park Fire unfold at Philmont are asking how you can help. The situation is on-going and dynamic so Philmont won't know all of what it needs for days or weeks to come. We do know, however, that the need is going to be real and substantial. Philmont has insurance for fire damage, but will need significant help for things that are likely not covered, such as reseeding and reforestation, repair of roads and bridges, trail reconstruction, and staff support.
For now, if you'd like to help by giving to the PSA, we'll work with Philmont to determine how best to apply your donation when the time comes. Your contribution may not go directly to repair or rebuild a lost building, but rest assured it will go to continue making Philmont a premiere high-adventure experience for Scouts for years to come. This is not a PSA fundraiser - 100% of your contribution will go to Philmont for fire support.

To Give click here: https://www.philstaff.org/store/donations/fire_relief/

#IWGBTP #Philmont #Philstaff

Resources:
http://philmontscoutranch.org/About/FireInformation.aspx
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5820/
http://www.philmontscoutranch.org/webcam.aspx
Bird Poo
AG
Is Philmont needing help? Would be cool if individual members of treks could show up and help with recovery. My son and I would do it if they paid for our food!
TexasAggie73
AG
Just made a contribution.
swood
AG
The Capitol Area Council NYLT course from June 11-16 still has a few spots open. It will be held at Camp Green Dickson near Shiner. Several scouts from our Philmont crews enrolled today. There is normally a limit of 2 scouts/unit but that has been lifted for this session.
bb88
In my 18 years of chasing fire up and down mountains things have changed. 15 years ago 20000 acres was a pretty big fire. We are now getting that pretty frequently in a burn period in the timber. As a guy who spends over 250 days a year in the woods fighting fire things are changing. It's hotter ,it's drier and the weather patterns are different. Something is happening there is no doubt about that. We have done a pretty good job of putting fires out and increasing fuel loading but depending on the area it's becoming increasingly difficult to manage fire. To many people and houses encroaching and making it difficult to let some fires run there natural coarse. I haven't been on a fire in the last 5 years where there wasn't some sort of structures or people involved. It's a difficult situation all the way around but from someone who does it as a professional day things are definitely only going to get more difficult
Pooh Ah
AG
bb88 said:

In my 18 years of chasing fire up and down mountains things have changed. 15 years ago 20000 acres was a pretty big fire. We are now getting that pretty frequently in a burn period in the timber. As a guy who spends over 250 days a year in the woods fighting fire things are changing. It's hotter ,it's drier and the weather patterns are different. Something is happening there is no doubt about that. We have done a pretty good job of putting fires out and increasing fuel loading but depending on the area it's becoming increasingly difficult to manage fire. To many people and houses encroaching and making it difficult to let some fires run there natural coarse. I haven't been on a fire in the last 5 years where there wasn't some sort of structures or people involved. It's a difficult situation all the way around but from someone who does it as a professional day things are definitely only going to get more difficult
Thank you for the post. I would be interested in your thoughts on the Ute Park Fire if you have any.

I also found this tweet to be intriguing. I hope he is right!

ursusguy
AG
Very well put
TexasAggie73
AG
A board member of the Philmont Staff Association has pledged to write a check for $10,000 if they can raise that same amount in 3 hours. See their web site for more info.
This money to be used for the reforestation on the property.
memace
AG
They need to call In the global supertanker.

FrontPorchAg
CT'97 said:

San Juan Mountain Huts is up in the Telluride CO area, quite a bit north but maybe still with in the bus travel range.
They run hut based threw hikes. I'm sure they are booked at this point but if you didn't need to stay in the huts and just needed them for food and resupply you might be able to make it work. I would call them and explain what your situation is and see if they can work with you.
Its beautiful country and some staggering peaks like no other in Colorado.
Don't look now but they are having a fire too.
wangus12
AG
TexasAggie73 said:

A board member of the Philmont Staff Association has pledged to write a check for $10,000 if they can raise that same amount in 3 hours. See their web site for more info.
This money to be used for the reforestation on the property.
Someone call JJ Watt
ursusguy
AG
Yeah, there are rumbling of some major donations from former staff and participants. I know a guy here in DFW that will likely, quietly far exceed that.
Post removed:
by user
Bird Poo
AG
ursusguy said:

Yeah, there are rumbling of some major donations from former staff and participants. I know a guy here in DFW that will likely, quietly far exceed that.

Know who you're talking about I believe. Investment banker type that like's to give speeches at formal events in his dirty ranch clothes? Neat dudevery wealthy.
ursusguy
AG
They matched, PSA raised $19,977.

ursusguy
AG
At the meeting today, they said they think the fire is pretty well hemmed in to the extent that it will likely spread.....ie hitting the high country
Pooh Ah
AG
I have been thinking they had it contained. Thank God.
TexasAggie73
AG
Last I read it was 35% contained. And, PSA reported that they have collect around $40,000.
Pooh Ah
AG
wildcat08
AG
66% contained as of yesterday evening's report. Major progress.
wangus12
AG
PSA doing work.
Pooh Ah
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.