Outdoors
Sponsored by

Fire at Philmont

52,486 Views | 333 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BigHead 04
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I guess ursus knew what he was talking about lol. Look at that line where it hit the rock/Hidden Valley before Cito.

Quote:

Hunting Lodge I am more concerned about. The rock wall and general clearing may help it jump Cito. In 02 the larger staff camps came out surprisingly good.
ursusguy
AG
I know a little bit about fire behavior ;-)
ursusguy
AG
wangus12 said:

PSA doing work.

Yeah, my wife might shoot me next week.
wangus12
AG
Gave what I could, but it did come out of the engagement ring fund lol
ursusguy
AG
They currently have 100+ staff taking or getting ready to take chainsaw training. Once they get the it is safe ok, they are looking at scattering backcountry staff, with all Ranger, and Cons. Cons has been and will continue to train BC and Ranger on campsite construction, trail work, countour felling, and flashflood mitigation.

It sounds like there is no practical way of getting into the Baldy Country this summer. This is going to really crunch things.

They are not looking at any volunteers until this Fall...

They may be millenials, but I do not envy what they are about to try and tackle.
clinte234
AG
Update on the Ute Park per of this...all residents of UP were able to return to their cabins/homes today. They only opened the highway to those individuals...still no word when the Highway will actually open to the public. Haven't talked in detail with my dad yet but he did say everything looked relatively unscathed around the cabins.
ursusguy
AG
You might have just inadvertently saved yourself a lot of money.

Clint---great to hear.
wangus12
AG
Fly over looking at north towards Cito

https://www.facebook.com/UteParkFireInfo/videos/382544275575218/?hc_ref=ARRIELQCPrMGxoMJgZGD0XdaKf9lUZfhvRMxPIAQeOa0gS7BspKAbndYLu8r-RzeERQ&fref=nf
Pooh Ah
AG
wangus12 said:

Fly over looking at north towards Cito

https://www.facebook.com/UteParkFireInfo/videos/382544275575218/?hc_ref=ARRIELQCPrMGxoMJgZGD0XdaKf9lUZfhvRMxPIAQeOa0gS7BspKAbndYLu8r-RzeERQ&fref=nf

Devastating. Has a good look at Harlan.
wildcat08
AG
Another flyover, this one going down U. S. 64.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=382561488906830&id=378765475953098&ref=bookmarks
Pooh Ah
AG
ursusguy
AG
They are shipping out staff to 8 camps that took on units, with the idea they will ship back in July. Everyone else is pretty much a big conservation crew going out in 9 man teams.
Bird Poo
AG
Our crew was scheduled to leave June 29. We're still waiting on the official call on weather our trek is cancelled. Do you think there is a possibility that treks during this timeframe will concentrate to the south, or is everything definitively cancelled until mid July.
ursusguy
AG
Everything is definitively out until the 7/15 (and I am real curious to see what they decide ~7/10ish). They just shipped off a bunch of staff to 8 camps that picked up crews, and transporting ~100 staff into the Valle today for 5 days of intense conservation work and training. If they get the all safe signal, they will then shift to getting Philmont property up and running. Not being able to have the Baldy Country or an effective way to safely traverse much along 64 is a major challenge.

I am a bit surprised you haven't heard anything yet, but I would suspect you will this week.
wangus12
AG
Photos coming in
Burdizzo
AG
Amazing. Reminds me of looking at Hurricane Harvey damage.
Hamburger Dan
Not trying to derail your thread, and most certainly not trying trivialize it - but I spend a decent amount of time in the early to late fall fishing up in that area. Almost always hit the Cimmaron a few times - what does a fire like that do as far as damage to river, habitat, etc. I have no ties to Philmont, but I've spent a great deal of my time in northern New Mexico, I am one of those that would like to live there one day. I'm sure it is a very sad situation right now.
CanyonAg77
AG
I saw some of the creeks in the Los Alamos area after that fire. Absolutely clogged with silt.
ursusguy
AG
The silt will be bad. Ponil Creek (just north of there) is really just starting to stabilize on the slopes, and that was 16 years ago that area burned.
proc
AG

Off topic, but this is what everyone loves to hear about when I describe Philmont. The ol' pilot/bombardier. Thanks for the photos.
ursusguy
AG
So true......the best are in the middle of fields.
Pooh Ah
AG
My last trek I was on a solo mission at Anasazi, finished my business, stood up to the sound of applause in the distance. There were 1 or 2 crews on a Mesa overlooking the camp that had seen it all.

First time I'd ever received a standing ovation.
ursusguy
AG
About 100 staff wrapped up building elk enclosure pens and TSI projects up in the Valle today.......and the Forest Service has shut down the Valle for the summer.
insulator_king
AG
Hurricane Bud moisture remnants are coming thru.

South of me, Buzzard Fire grows to 45,151 acres

aggie_fan13
AG
I wonder if my boots are still hanging on that sign
ursusguy
AG
Guys, keep your fingers crossed. Another fire juat got started on the UU Bar south of Philmont. My understanding is it is just now hit scout property.
wildcat08
AG
Good grief.
ccard257
AG
CanyonAg77
AG
Apparently there's a fire in the Spanish Peaks/La Veta area of southern Colorado right now, too.
Pro Sandy
AG
Morris Creek Fire Update June 30, 2018 at 9:30 A.M.

A small fire, known as the Morris Creek Fire, was reported in the early afternoon on June 29, 2018. The fire started south of the Philmont property line on private neighboring property near the Rayado River Canyon, west of Crags. The fire is now burning on Philmont property. The Philmont Fire Department and other local agencies are fighting this fire.

Rayado Ridge Leadership Camp, the home of NAYLE and PLC, was moved to the Philmont Training Center. Philmont staff and participants are safe.
TXAGEE
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Apparently there's a fire in the Spanish Peaks/La Veta area of southern Colorado right now, too.
My family and I were in Lake City this past week. It was unseasonably hot and historically dry, with high winds. It became very hazy Thursday afternoon with a strong smell of smoke. Turns out it was from the La Veta Fire. It was only 4,000 acres at the time. Three days later, it's over 41,000 acres and 0% contained.

Turns out it was arson.

Nevermind...I just saw the update on the 416 Fire thread.

cupofjoe04
AG
I'm still hearing (though unconfirmed from officials) that the "arson" was this guy burning his trash that set off the Spring Creek Fire near La Vita. It is threatening Cuchara right now, with an unknown number of structures already burned.
Hamburger Dan
On a more selfish note, I called the Taos Fly Shop this week to ask about fires and park closures. I'm going up that way in early September and again in October. I asked him about the fires and whether or not I would be able to get to fish. He was extremely hopeful that the monsoon rains would kick in soon and alleviate the fire problems. He did say it's been a bad year for everyone involved in North Central New Mexico.
ursusguy
AG
Fire has grown to 400-500 acres. There is now concern for Fish Camp (defensible space should be pretty good on FC).

Yeah, a lot of the local businesses throughout north central New Mexico are hurting pretty bad.
Pooh Ah
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.