Outdoors
Sponsored by

Fire at Philmont

52,475 Views | 333 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BigHead 04
Pooh Ah
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Go to the link in the tweet to download full size PDFs of the following maps.

ursusguy
AG
That is the one. I spent a good chunk of the night reviewing data with the old backcountry manager KS.
Unofficial but Ute Gluch and Dean Cow may have survived. One thing about it, the staff camps in particular have lots of unintentional (and intentional) firebreaks. I know after 02, a lot of work went into defensible space around cabins.
Pooh Ah
AG
I sent the map maker Joseph Elliot a link to the GIS files of the Philmont trails and camps and asked if he could make a map that showed the fire overlayed on the trails and camps.

He told me to stand by, so here is hoping he is generous enough to generate a Philmont Trail fire map.
ursusguy
AG
That takes the fun out of it......once you have it burned into your head where Cito Reservoir is, you can orient yourself pretty easy. ;-)

The main concern at the moment is the spot fires popping up over night west of Cito.
Pooh Ah
AG
ursusguy said:

That takes the fun out of it......once you have it burned into your head where Cito Reservoir is, you can orient yourself pretty easy. ;-)

The main concern at the moment is the spot fires popping up over night west of Cito.

The map will be nice to send to the scouts in our crew so that they can better understand the fire. I am sure the other in bound crews this season would appreciate it as well.

Some of us dont quite have the trail time there that you do!
Pooh Ah
AG
The Fire map with clickable Philmont Features is up. This guy is a mapping machine.

ccard257
AG
Pooh Ah said:

I sent the map maker Joseph Elliot a link to the GIS files of the Philmont trails and camps and asked if he could make a map that showed the fire overlayed on the trails and camps.

He told me to stand by, so here is hoping he is generous enough to generate a Philmont Trail fire map.

This was posted on the philmont ranger Facebook page

Hi to the dropdown in the right corner that says hybrid. Select caltopo hiRes. Then zoom in. That's the philmont map.

https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=36.526605%2C-105.020677&z=12&t=h%2CState_boundary%2CVIIRS_24hrs_from_FIRMS%2CMODIS_24hr_from_FIRMS&markers=file%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fmappingsupport.com%2Fp%2Fdisaster%2F2018%2Fnew_mexico%2Fute_park%2Fphilmont_boundary.kml&q=https%3A%2F%2Fmappingsupport.com%2Fp%2Fspecial_maps%2Fdisaster%2FUSA_wildland_fire_3.txt

wangus12
AG
ursusguy said:

Almost don't need a Philmont map after so many hours of trail time staring at it. Know the topo and trails very well. Can't believe its been so long since I've been out there
ursusguy
AG
There is an update briefing at 10 AM MT. Cimarron is currently still under mandatory evac, but is considered out of harms way......at the moment. The fire made a pretty big shift to the south. The challenge today will be area it is burning into doesn't have a whole lot of roads for access or firebreaks. To the north it has slowed some due to hitting the burned out areas from 02. But it is actively burning live regrowth (ie sitting there awhile). Weather patterns aren't real promising for today.
ursusguy
AG
I think I saw Ranger and '11, when all were you out there?

It is cool how many former staffers we have here.
wangus12
AG
'05 as a scout.
'09 & '12 as an adult leader
'10 & '11 as a Ranger

A&M was always top 3-5 in number of staff working out there. I knew 5-6 before getting out there that worked out there a lot.
Pro Sandy
AG
Is there a stream for the briefing?
Pro Sandy
AG
99 on trek

03 Ranger
04 Rayado Ranger

Been there before and after the 02 fire. 03, no issues and plenty of cons work for crews and staff in the north country. Spent many an off day in the North Ponil.

Important thing is Philmont will survive. It survived the flood of the Rayado, the 02 fire, and will this. This is pry the biggest challenge yet, but it will survive.
wangus12
AG
Pooh Ah
AG
I just emailed the same to my crew and I hope to hear something from Philmont soon. The least being when they intend to announce a plan.

The Philmont Webcam just captured an image of the Mt. Taylor Hotshot crew vehicle.

dubi
AG
Quote:

I just emailed the same to my crew and I hope to hear something from Philmont soon. The least being when they intend to announce a plan.
Honestly, how can they "announce a plan" when the fire is not contained or extinguished?

Pooh Ah
AG
They can't announce a plan yet but fact is that some crews may be travelling as early as Monday if they are driving so they have to be planning. Philmont won't want to decide until they absolutely have to.

It will come down to air quality but there is a definite point when they have to decide.

That said, they can not have hundreds of scouts travelling to an abandoned camp so, in the least, Philmont could state when they will make a decision.

P.S. That pic of the Hotshot crew I saved got picked up on Twitter and sent to the crew. Pretty cool, told them thanks!
ursusguy
AG
Very cool. Missed you by a couple years.
'96 PC Dean Cow partial summer
'97 Merchandise Warehouse/Tent Repair partial summer
'98 CHQ Maintenance partial summer (I actually shot for Maintenance--do a good job for them, you can pretty much work wherever you want the next summer)
'99, 00, 02--Bear Researcher
02/03 off season--Fire Rehab Team
'03--Bear Researcher/Field Ecologist (this was a creative way to get me a bit more money. Taught two ROCS classes (bear ecology and watershed management), and once a week haul a load of straw from Chandler Canyon up to Dean Cow or Dan Beard).

I actually met Pro Sandy in the Staff Lounge in '03. I noticed he was from A&M, but he probably thought I was some freak :-)
JR69
AG
Weren't you the guy with a gazillion humming birds buzzing around the porch of your staff cabin? I think we talked about that once before.
ursusguy
AG
Probably not me. I spent most of my time chewing out certain backcountry camps about leaving their feeders out at night. I will say we had a lot when I was at Dean Cow.
ursusguy
AG
Keeping fingers crossed, some of the staff camps may not be as hard hit as initially thought....they've done a lot of defensible space with staff cabins, may have paid off.
ursusguy
AG
The wind is shifting a lot. The fire south of Ute Park is taking off again. The mandatory evacuation of Ute Park has been put in place again.
Pro Sandy
AG
I just always wondered if anyone actually wrote ursusguy is a ********** on a bearbag
ursusguy
AG
I conveniently forgot about that.

Some of the Rangers just loved me.
TexasAggie73
AG
My son worked at Philmont for 3 years, first in 2003. He did health rechecks for 2 years then health lodge transportation. Unfortunately, he went to Austin College in Sherman..LOL I did my trek in 1966 and NEI 3 the week that Elvis died. the ultimate place for a scout to experience.
ursusguy
AG
In '02, I had a CD kick me and my partner out of their camp for doing our bear related camp inspections (I found a bunch of food laying around during the campfire....so relatively late). Ran into Unit 2 in the radioroom and told him about it. Unit 2 radioed D. Palmer and told him to meet him at the BC Warehouse. They radioed the CD at 10:30 PM and told him to be waiting for them. Three days later I ended up setting a trap and catching a bear in his camp. To say he was apologetic is an understatement.
CanyonAg77
AG
CD? D? Unit 2? Is there an English translation, or is this an inside story for Philmont guys only?
aggiepublius
AG
Basic Information
Current as of
6/2/2018, 9:34:41 PM
Incident Type
Wildfire

Current Situation

Total Personnel 511
Size 30,000 Acres
Fuels Involved
Timber (Grass and Understory)
Significant Events
Active, Uphill Runs, Torching, Short-range Spotting
A wind shift and fuel change has slowed the east progression of the fire. The winds will be northeast then east and finally
southeast today. This will impact the fire behavior on the western side of the fire, exposing new fuels to fire. Growth will
continue west southwest today.

Source: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5820/
ursusguy
AG
Sorry about that. Higher ups at Philmont are often known by their radio unit numbers. Unit 2 is the Program Manager, Unit 5 would be the Backcountry Warehouse manager (over backcountry staff)....I didn't know if Pro Sandy would remember that position code number.

I spent 2 summers effectively known as Unit 81, and 2 as Unit 85.......or Bear Researcher/Bear Guy/Bear Molester/Bear Cop
ursusguy
AG
That se wind is what I have been dreading. This will burn back into very dead, very dry heavy timber.
aggiepublius
AG
Hey Staph

Can we request you change Ursusguy's name to Ursusmolestus?
OE_Ag11
AG
I cant remember from my old treks but was there a portion up that way that was already burnt?

And SE winds meaning pushing the fire to the SE or from the SE so pushing NW?
aggiepublius
AG
Ugh. That is bad news
gomerschlep
AG
Watching this since we fly out the direction quite a bit. No TFR's in place which seems kinda weird.
aggiepublius
AG
temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) just published at 230z

http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_8_7703.html

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.