Outdoors
Sponsored by

Fire at Philmont

52,524 Views | 333 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BigHead 04
swood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I understand the challenge is huge. They have to balance the need and desire to provide access to people who've been planning treks for a year or more and may never get another chance, with the need to do it safely.

The logistics at Philmont are nothing short of phenomenal. Most other organizations would have already called things off.

My oldest son missed going to Bissett / Northern Tier last year because of a broken arm. Now he may miss Philmont for the fire and he is pretty disappointed. I appreciate that the Philmont staff is doing everything they can to keep that from happening.

At the same time, there are a lot of plans hinging on their decision and better communication would be appreciated.
Pooh Ah
AG
DAMN

Quote:

PHILMONT PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENT - UTE PARK FIRE 6/4/18 4:00 MDT
The safety of our youth participants, volunteers and staff is a priority for everybody at Philmont Scout Ranch and the Boy Scouts of America. While efforts continue to extinguish the fire currently burning in the back-country, the anticipated damage and inability to access the affected areas makes it currently impossible to host back country programs. Until the fire is extinguished, the areas are inspected and the damage assessed, it is impossible to definitively state when those programs will resume.

At this time, we have made the difficult decision to cancel all backcountry treks that were scheduled to take place in the Philmont backcountry from June 8 July 14, 2018. We hope that back country treks may resume after July 14, 2018 with altered itineraries, assuming the back country is safe and infrastructure is restored.

Additionally, programs scheduled to take place at Philmont Training Center will also be canceled through June 23, 2018. The Philmont Training Center expects to welcome back participants beginning with Philmont Family Adventure on June 24, 2018.

The NAYLE program, which takes place at Rayado Ridge Leadership Camp seven miles south of the Philmont Base Camp and is unaffected by the Ute Park Fire, will go on as scheduled.

Over the next few days, we will be contacting the lead advisor or contingent leader of all crews that are impacted by this decision, starting with those that are scheduled to arrive first, as well as affected PTC coordinators. Thank you in advance for allowing the Philmont team to contact your crew your assistance will help make sure that Philmont phone lines remain open.

We will continue to work with local, state and federal authorities to continuously evaluate the fire and air quality to ensure that we can safely deliver outstanding program.

Thank you for your support and patience.
wangus12
AG
Everything canceled to mid July
Pooh Ah
AG
Each member of our crew is out airfare and the bus charter. About $600 ea.

I am crushed, they trained hard and were prepared.
CanyonAg77
AG
Pooh Ah said:

I'd ask the airline and bus company for some good will refunds and/or breaks on future booking. They don't have to, but I'd ask.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Pooh Ah said:

I know it wouldn't be nearly the same, but any thought of making the trip to Carson National Forest instead? You may even be able to talk the charter bus into rerouting at no cost increase since it appears equidistant from ABQ.
Pooh Ah
AG
We leave on Tuesday. There just is not time to rebook, plan the logistics, food, lodging plan the trek etc in 4 or 5 days.

The bus charter does not have expenses so we should be able to meet them in the middle. The troop may need an attorney for dealing with the travel company and charter.

I'm sure we will get a refund from Philmont
Kenneth_2003
AG
Not nearly Philmont...

The year before I went to Philmont, we drove up to Wyoming and had a spectacular backcountry experience hiking up and around the west side of the Grand Tetons. Very few get the opportunity to see the Tetons looking East.

We based at a BSA facility in Jackson Hole. They were primarily setup for river trips, but we were able to base our backcountry time with them. (We also did a couple days on the Snake River with them, but I had to sit that out with fresh stitches on my left finger thanks to their adjustable height basketball goals.)

I know this doesn't help with those who were planning to fly, but if you know someone that was driving in, this might be an option.
Bird Poo
AG
We have trek #9. It's focus is on fishing and keeping to the southern region. Check in June 29.

I think we go through Phillips, black mountain, Comanche peak, Shaffer's pass, tooth. Some of that is day trips.

Sounds like most of it will be north of us, but will they push a ton of people South? I would rather not see another trek for the experience, but understand the camp needing to accommodate everyone. Hell, our trek might get cancelled since a lot can happen in 4 weeeks!
Pooh Ah
AG
Kenneth:

Please email me who you organized the trip through. satxbenh at gmail dot com.

I have emailed florida sea base to see if they have any openings.

I am taking vacation tomorrow to work this for our scouts and present them with options. Keep them coming!
Pooh Ah
AG
I want to follow up and say that our crew fully supports Philmont's decision. We also understand how difficult it was to make but the safety of our scouts really is our #1 job. We hope to see them in 2019.
TexasAggie73
AG
For those looking for an high adventure option, the Evangeline Area Council offers a 61 mile journey through the Atchafala swamp. Don't know if they have any opening, but it couldn't hurt to ask. They are on FB has BSA Swamp Base.
yaterag
AG
If I'm reading the above press release correctly your trek is cancelled.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Pooh Ah

Email sent

Edit to add.... I'm fairly sure we just obtained backcountry permits through the Teton National Park and didn't use the High Adventure Base for that part of the trip. With any other NPS or BLM trek you might be able to put together, I'd really hope any scout camp would offer whatever space they had to pitch some tents and possibly get a hot meal in the dining hall!
ursusguy
AG
Damn guys, I am so sorry this came down. The ~20% containment is killing them. There are a couple more spots that they are fighting like hell. If the fire keeps working south could make this even way worse.

Right now ALL season staff are on standby to go into Fire Rehab work to see what can get done by mid-July. I have done that work. It is physically a beating
wangus12
AG
Yeah not envying those kids out there right now. June is gonna be pretty rough, but if thre is one group of people to do it, its Philmont staff
Mookie
AG
As said, our trek is cancelled. Sucks for the guys out there now looking forward to working with the scouts, now they're in rebuild and regroup mode.

Sucks for our crew, a bunch of disappointed kids right now.
ursusguy
AG
Absolutely correct.
aggielax00
AG
My son and my husband were supposed to arrive this Saturday for Itinerary #18. I've been following this thread for a while and would like to thank Ursus and everyone else for all the info.
I hope Philmont can fit the two of them in next summer. As I understand, these treks book out more than a year in advance.
They're considering hiking Pike's Peak as an alternative next week. I'd like them to stop at Camp Alexander for a night or two. If anyone has a contact in Pikes Peak Council that could help them, can you let me know? Thank you.
Kenneth_2003
AG
aggielax00 said:

My son and my husband were supposed to arrive this Saturday for Itinerary #18. I've been following this thread for a while and would like to thank Ursus and everyone else for all the info.
I hope Philmont can fit the two of them in next summer. As I understand, these treks book out more than a year in advance.
They're considering hiking Pike's Peak as an alternative next week. I'd like them to stop at Camp Alexander for a night or two. If anyone has a contact in Pikes Peak Council that could help them, can you let me know? Thank you.
Were they going with a Troop or one of the crews made up of Scouts and leaders from various areas? If it's just the two of them that are looking to get out and about, there are a host of backcountry opportunities in the National Parks and National Forest and BLM lands. If they're going to hit Pikes, would it be possible to pull a backcountry permit in RMNP?
JR69
AG
aggielax00 said:

I would just contact Pikes Peak Council and ask for the Program Director, who may or may not also be the Camp Director. I no longer have contacts there as personnel have changed several times since I left Colorado Springs. Camp Alexander is a great camp - there may be a provisional troop that they could join for a week.

Rocky Mountain Council (Pueblo), Denver Area Council (Denver) and Longs Peak Council (Greeley) all offer high adventure opportunities you might check into as well. IIRC RMC's high adventure camp is similar to a Philmont trek. I'm not sure about the other two.
Bird Poo
AG
Camp Alexander has a remote camp designed for older scouts. Has a lot of cool activites and there may be opportunities to backpack. We may look into that.

Just found out our trek was cancelled.
aggielax00
AG
Thanks for your ideas, Kenneth and JR. I'm going to pass this info along to them.
Pooh Ah
AG
What I know:

Philmont is offering
  • Full refund for cancellation
  • Reschedule for August, not sure if this will be all crews
  • Reschedule for future year

SeaBase has offered to honor Philmont payments. This gets tricky for us as we were scheduled to depart in 6 days. Many of our crew members have commitments all summer outside of the scheduled trek window.

I just spoke with our charter Blue Sky Adventures. They will work to maximize our refund but they had already reserved buses etc so they have some work to do on their end to determine what the refund will be depending on what they can get out of. If we reschedule for August when Philmont calls we can transfer the reservation

I have not heard from travel yet regarding the SWA tickets but the travel agent was recommended by Philmont and the charter co. They have a message that we will be contacted in order.

This is getting the feel that we are just toast for any adventure.
Tamuag04
AG
Pooh Ah,

Somewhat in the vicinity - consider Spanish Peaks Scout Ranch southwest of Walsenburg, CO. They offer ATVs, rappelling, climbing, etc and backpacking trips up to 9 days in length. Pretty sure you can tackle one or both of the Spanish Peaks (13,000+ ft). Just a thought...

Ursus - Mtn Man '95, Trek '96, Double H Wilderness Guide/Ranger '04 here. A former BR with the initials MN is a very good family friend of mine. Curious if you two ever worked together or crossed paths. Have actually taken my wife to Philmont on two separate occasions as part of our summer vacation. Took her to Lovers Leap and Cito Reservoir and Cathedral. If you are ever in Aggieland, would like to buy you a cold beer and get nostalgic.

Best of luck to all affected.
"No Fi, Chuck Finley is forever..."
SunrayAg
AG
I just read that the highway from cimarron to eagle nest will be closed for at least 3 to 4 weeks, so any Texans headed to angel fire or red river will need to take the long way.
ursusguy
AG
I know of MN, and we communicated a couple years ago. He is on my LinkedIn...I think I might have literally searched for "Bear Researcher". He was a couple years after me.

My dad (Ranger 67, 68, Comm Driver in 69) took my mom to Philmont as part of their honeymoon. He used to help as a bouncer on his off day over at the Motherlode in Red River, and became friends with Ray Wylie Hubbard. He did a special set for my mom and dad, which is amusing since my mom didn't have a clue who he was.....Needless to say, I grew up hearing about Philmont, and holds a special place for me.
ursusguy
AG
Yeah, my buddy that is the Conservation Officer said it is pretty messes up right now.
Pooh Ah
AG
I spoke with Spanish Peaks. Philmont has been giving their number out and he has been contacted by 20 crews.

He is scrambling for rangers but his high adventure is full right now.

Our departure date is just too soon. Sea Base has been great but the airfare on this short of a notice would kill us. Crew families basically would have to pay for the Florida travel while they wait on money (yet to be determined) back from the NM trip.

It's a mess.
88planoAg
AG
I guess Southwest doesn't have a way- or a fee- to just transfer your reservations from Colorado to Florida?
Kenneth_2003
AG
Anything you can do independent within driving distance of your current airport destination?

I know you'd need your own tents (if you were using Philmont tents) and to provide all of your own food...
JR69
AG
Pooh Ah said:

I spoke with Spanish Peaks. Philmont has been giving their number out and he has been contacted by 20 crews.

He is scrambling for rangers but his high adventure is full right now.

Our departure date is just too soon. Sea Base has been great but the airfare on this short of a notice would kill us. Crew families basically would have to pay for the Florida travel while they wait on money (yet to be determined) back from the NM trip.

It's a mess.
I'm not surprised - Spanish Peaks may be the closest scout camp so it's a logical alternative. I did my Wood Badge at Spanish Peaks in 1999. Spanish Peaks belongs to Santa Fe Trail Council out of Garden City, Kansas.

Another potential alternative would be Gorham Scout Ranch which belongs to the Great Southwest Council in Albuquerque. I took my troop to what was then Chimayo Scout Reservation twice. It was a very good camp in the early 2000s. I know they also offer high adventure programs for older scouts. Gorham is just a short drive north of Santa Fe.
TexasAggie73
AG
Don't know where you are located, but the BSA Swamp Base is trying to take on extra crews for their bayou and swamp treks. 61 miles in the swamp. You can contact them by FB or through Evangeline Area Council. Good luck to all involved.
wildcat08
AG
This morning's report: https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/June%205%20update.pdf?token=AWyXNLNo2Mu8JBzcVOnlVzOOas7PD6kTmBI_q4EXuDE5098o-aSR35L-KML6deWAUnKxgohyOc7s3Va_5iMof4j_pexY6etaRM03DVJnbSoYJeoh6gOBmQbRpOvmxna13oxQyAs0r5JDOdLk7LCHBKPMlEWwTnICVXYqJQgS8Q33g8yJ2mxNEXExa472Uu3X4KB8F0lw7v1iL5Tgkk_ZbTtR
insulator_king
AG
88planoAg said:

I guess Southwest doesn't have a way- or a fee- to just transfer your reservations from Colorado to Florida?
Southwest allows no fee changes for 1 year from date of purchase. You just have to cnx the current tickets, and then keep the itinarary info to put towards a different ticket. Search TTF [ticketless Travel Funds]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.