Outdoors
Sponsored by

Fire at Philmont

52,543 Views | 333 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BigHead 04
gomerschlep
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well there ya go.
Pooh Ah
AG

Quote:

Ute Park evacuated due to increase fire activity south of the community, crews prepare for storms Sunday
Acres: estimated 30,000 acres
Percent Containment: 0%
Start Date: May 31, 2018, 2:10pm
Cause: Unknown, under investigation
Jurisdiction: NM State
Fuels: Grass, Pinyon Juniper, and Mixed Conifer
Origin Location: Near Highway 64 in Ute Park, NM, between Eagle Nest Lake and Cimarron
Resources: 511 personnel including 10 crews, 6 helicopters, 32 engines, 8 dozers, 7 water tenders
An Increase in fire activity and growth on the west side of the fire prompted the Colfax Emergency Manager and Colfax Sheriff's Office to issue a mandatory evacuation for Ute Park this evening. Afternoon winds from the southeast caused the fire to grow to the west, south of Ute Park. Winds are forecasted to come from the south this evening which would threaten to align the fire to advance into Ute Park. Firefighters will be in the community overnight providing point protection around structures and conducting burnout operations to protect the community.
Today the winds shifted in the afternoon and came out of the southeast which slowed the fire growth on the east side of the fire. Crews were able to continue to conduct burnout operations along the east and southeast side of the fire. The lines held well today and this evening crews will continue to strengthen the lines by extinguishing hot spots along its edge and patrolling the line.
There are increasing chances of showers and thunderstorms Sunday and Sunday night. Forecasts are calling for a severe storm with large hail, high winds, heavy rain, and lightning Sunday starting at noon into Sunday evening. Flash flooding is a concern. While the increase in moisture has the potential to decrease the fire activity, outflow winds associated with thunderstorms can overcome the moisture with increased winds around the fire. Lightning also increases the risk of new fires.
Structures damage assessments completed. Fourteen outbuildings have burned on the Philmont Scout Ranch. Approximately 296 structures are threatened in the community of Cimarron, which remains under a mandatory evacuation order. Philmont Scout Ranch staff have also evacuated to the Colfax Fairgrounds in Springer, NM. There are no scouts currently at the camp. Sign Up for Colfax County's Emergency Alerts at https://bit.ly/2LbNdXh.

This mess just refuses to improve and looks like it will impact some treks. If the fire is growing west that puts Clarks Fork, Shaefers Pass, and maybe Black Mountain etc in harms way. I hope they were able to save the Hunting Lodge.
wildcat08
AG
Angel Fire forecast is for winds shifting to the south and then southwest this afternoon, with 100% chance of thunderstorms. Humidity is pretty high right now. Winds predicted to be out of the west starting tomorrow. No idea of wind predictions on the plains (i. e. Cimarron).
Pooh Ah
AG
Philmont Webcam

Ursus- any new scuttlebutt on what Ranch leadership are thinking about the early season?
87Flyfisher
AG
Just heard from my friend Doc Thompson who lives in Ute Park. He evacuated to Angel Fire last night. He said he doubts many of the cabins or structures in Ute Park survived the night.
ratfacemcdougal
I was wondering about his location
Mookie
AG
I echo this sentiment as well. I know the philmont folks are going through more than I can imagine, early crews still need a little guidance here.
ursusguy
AG
Ok, from the Sunday morning update.

The fire is now an estimated 31,930 acres with 0% containment. Last night was bad, not going to sugarcoat it (that is my own edition). The the total fire is still smaller than the '02 fire, it has burned more acres on Philmont itself. Staff is continuing to train for the summer in their makeshift Base Camp in Springer. No decisions have been made yet on what is happening this summer...so stay tuned. (Philmont is huge, so there is still plenty to play with, this juat happens to be dead center).

Now me---the rain today is a mixed blessing. The humidity is great to have, but the winds are squirrelly as hell. Like others on this thread, my connections to Ute Park are out as of last night. I am still trying to find out the status of my old supervisor. The rain may help slow things down, but in many ways this is some of the roughest country on the ranch. Some of the really seasoned firefighters are saying they have never seen a fire with this sort of "attitude". There are some areas of the ranch that I have reached the point that if we've gone this far, I would prefer they just let burn (below Cyphers) as they have scared me for 20 plus years.
ursusguy
AG
This fire is extremely dynamic, so no. I do know that staff is training in Springer to go into catchup mode once the fire is dealt with. They are well aware that folks are about to hit the road.
ursusguy
AG
Staff is packing up and headed back to Base
wangus12
AG
Tent city is still kicking

ursusguy
AG
You likely saw it, but PSA had up videos of the various work groups breaking out and continuing their training their in Springer.
Pooh Ah
AG
ursusguy said:

Staff is packing up and headed back to Base

Oustanding!
ursusguy
AG
Neat article about the Type 1 IC coordinating the fire protection aspect. Right now they have just over 500 firefighting personnel, and multiple air assets.

http://www.paysonroundup.com/news/forest_management_wildfires/she-s-commanding-in-army---confronting-the-monster/article_3ef416dc-36d8-517b-b33a-2c2714eb040f.html
wangus12
AG
All I know is I'm assuming those are Philmont's tents and they are way nicer than they used to be lol

https://instagr.am/p/BjiFRlXh3t4
ursusguy
AG
Yes they are.

God I used to hate having to pull those water buffalos.
ccard257
AG
I am fairly certain they are MSR now. A slightly beefed-up version of one of their normal tents. I think you can buy them from Philmont now
ursusguy
AG
"All seasonal staff is 10-8 Colfax County Fairgrounds to Base"

In Route
Pro Sandy
AG
Springer to Base is a hell of a hike in, but I never liked bussing in on my hike in day.
ursusguy
AG
Philmont has reported that structures at Cito, Clarks, and Hunting Lodge are still there.
ccard257
AG
ursusguy said:

Philmont has reported that structures at Cito, Clarks, and Hunting Lodge are still there.

Has the fire moved past those areas and spared them? Or just not gotten there yet?
Pooh Ah
AG
ursusguy said:

Pro Sandy
AG
ursusguy said:

In '02, I had a CD kick me and my partner out of their camp for doing our bear related camp inspections (I found a bunch of food laying around during the campfire....so relatively late). Ran into Unit 2 in the radioroom and told him about it. Unit 2 radioed D. Palmer and told him to meet him at the BC Warehouse. They radioed the CD at 10:30 PM and told him to be waiting for them. Three days later I ended up setting a trap and catching a bear in his camp. To say he was apologetic is an understatement.
04 while doing Rayado, my partner and I walked through some camps while wanting for our Rowdies to go to sleep so we could enter their camp. We came across one crew that had a bear bag full of smellable water bottles under the cable, not hung. We woke up the crew and their excuse was that it was too heavy to hang. They managed to find enough strength to pull it up when their sleep at 1030 at night was on the line.
clinte234
AG
Update from my parents in Ute Park...when the sun came up all cabins were still standing as far as the info they were able to get (they evacuated so this is second hand info but it is from a Cimarron Canyon Park ranger)
wangus12
AG
Pro Sandy said:

Springer to Base is a hell of a hike in, but I never liked bussing in on my hike in day.
That was my rule as well. Unless it was basically impossible, I hiked in.
ursusguy
AG
I just believed in taking my truck everywhere.

I kid, I hiked quite a bit, just always left my truck where I could get back to it in 45 minutes or so.

You haven't lived until you wake up one morning curled around the gear shift of a Chevy 3500 at Copper Park......or Shaffers Pass Camp :-)
Pooh Ah
AG
http://www.philmontscoutranch.org/About/FireInformation.aspx

Quote:

Nearby TownsPhilNewsFire InformationJoin Our NewsletterPhilmont Webcam

Philmont Scout Ranch > About > Fire Information

Fire Information

Ute Park Fire Update: June 3, 2018 at 9:30 a.m.

Fire Update: The Ute Park Fire is currently at estimated 31,000 acres and 0% containment. There are 511 personnel on scene fighting this fire including our Philmont Fire Department, other local Fire Departments, neighbors, and State and Federal agencies.
We can report that the structures at Ponil, Hunting Lodge, Cimarroncito, and Clarks Fork have survived the fire that passed through those areas.
We have gotten official word that base camp is safe and staff will be returning back to base this morning.

Program and Unit information - as we assess the situation we will be working with our leadership and local authorities to determine the extent of program we can deliver and when. Please stand by for an update on this by Monday morning.

Our primary focus remains the safety of our team and the management of the fire. We appreciate your patience as we work through this rapidly changing situation.

From today on we will be posting updates each day prior to noon at PhilmontScoutRanch.org and scouting newsroom. We will post photos periodically on the Philmont Facebook. Please look at these sites for information from us.

ursusguy
AG
That is the kind of story I liked to hear.

On several occasions I actually caught bears going through goodies in campsite during inspections. In fact the very first day we had campers in the backcountry, we found a large bear with his head stuck in a peach can at Ponil. Good times.
ursusguy
AG
Ddp
gaeagirl
To Clinte234: Thank you for update. I grew up in Ute Park. Our family home is just east of post office/ town. If you know Matzen's Pottery right on hwy 64, we're on that turn off just south of the road; our house is on the river about 200 yds from the rd. Hwy 64 closed now- can't get many updates on status of homes. Please share if/when your folks return. Grateful they and their animals are safe.
clinte234
AG
I know exactly where your house is! I'll be sure to post any other info I get.
gaeagirl
I grew up in U.P. Our home is right off of 64 and tagged on gps maps as confirmed fire corridor. If you get confirmation- can you kindly update? We can't get official news as I'm sure most can't. Tough couple of days.
Tailgate88
AG
Man I was depressed when I saw this thread yesterday. So glad to see the good news today. Scouts will prevail!
Pooh Ah
AG
I'll admit it, I shed a tear when I watched this video.

ursusguy
AG
Guy making that call is a long time friend of mine. We worked together on the fire rehab team.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.