Outdoors
Sponsored by

Fire at Philmont

52,544 Views | 333 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BigHead 04
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ursusguy said:

More of an interesting sidebar....in case you are planning a trip to the Santa Fe NF any time soon....it is closed.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-new-mexico-forest/new-mexico-closes-national-forest-to-public-due-to-drought-fire-risk-idUSKCN1IX3HW
Want to get really pissed off? From that article:
Quote:

Officials banned all camp fires in the forest in early May due to dry conditions but in recent weeks workers found 120 camp fires left unattended, including at least 84 over the Memorial Day holiday weekend alone. That weekend marks the start of the summer travel season.

Forest Supervisor James Melonas said "widespread noncompliance" with the fire ban prompted officials to take more drastic measures.

ursusguy
AG
You are very close. Vista Grande is the western point of the main fire. The fire burns over the top of Deer Lake Mesa (good thing is there is a good road for a fire line with west wind). Harlan is likely gone. There are some trail camps in that area just north of 64, but aren't heavily used (this is the driest, often hottest part of the ranch. Dean Cow is likely burned, but relatively usable. That center high point on the north is Six Mile. The North Ponil and Middle Ponil Canyons both burned very heavily in '02. If then the fire moves north any, it is mostly going to be grass. On an easterly tragectory, it's a lot of scrub oak and Ponderosa. It wouldn't surprise me if this burns east then curves north along the base of the mountains.
clinte234
AG
Thanks for the updates guys! My parents have a cabin in Ute Park. They live there full time during the summer. They were in Taos eating lunch yesterday when they got word about the fire. They were allowed to go in and get their dogs and a few other items out yesterday afternoon. Looks like it is moving away from Ute Park now which is good for them but bad for Philmont.

Big time prayers needed for the whole area, especially the fire fighters and support crews...cabins and campgrounds can be rebuilt.
wangus12
AG
Hate to see this. Worked several summers out there. Hopefully it stays away from being anything like the Ponil Complex Fire. That one nailed nearly 100k acres.
Pooh Ah
AG
8,000 Acres 0% containment

Ute Park Fire Colfax County 06/01 7:30 a.m.
JUNE 1, 2018 BY WMASON 0 COMMENTS
This fire, burning on private land off of Highway 64 in Ute Park, NM, is currently estimated at 8,000 acres and 0% contained. Approximately 12 unoccupied, non-residential structures at the Philmont Scout Ranch (Cimarroncita area) have been lost in the fire. Another 150 structures remain threatened. The communities of Ute Park and the Village of Cimarron are under voluntary evacuation orders. Hummingbird Lane and the surrounding area has been evacuated. Evacuation centers have been set up at the Eagle Nest Senior Center, the Cimarron Elementary/Middle School, and the Raton Convention Center.
Highway 64, between Eagle Nest Lake and Cimarron is closed, and State Route 204 is closed at Cimarron. Eagle Nest Lake State Park is open, but the lake itself is closed for helicopters to fight the fire. Cimarron Canyon State Park is also open. A Type 1 Incident Management Team is expected to arrive later today to take over operations. Currently, there are numerous resources from State Forestry and our local and federal partners working to suppress this fire on the ground with support from 2 very large air tankers (VLAT), 6 heavy air tankers, and 4 helicopters. Red flag conditions are predicted for the fire area today.
Start Date & Time: 05/31/18, 14:10
Start Location: Near Highway 64 in Ute Park, NM, between Eagle Nest Lake and Cimarron
Latitude: 36.551389
Longitude: -105.121125
Cause of Fire: Under investigation
Area Vegetation: Grass and ponderosa pine
Acres Burned: 8,000
Ownership(s): State
Structures Threatened: Yes/150
Structures Burned: 12 non-residential, unoccupied
Evacuations (Y or N & #): Y / Evacuation order in place for Hummingbird Lane and surrounding area. Voluntary evacuations in place for Cimarron.
Containment: 0%
Closures: Highway 64, between Eagle Nest Lake and Cimarron is closed, and State Route 204 is closed at Cimarron.
maverick12
AG
Quote:

The '02 Ponil Complex Fire was directly related to the drowning death a couple years ago.How was it was related?

How was it related? Just curious.
SWCBonfire
AG
Nephew and BIL set to go to Philmont end of June
Pooh Ah
AG
birddog7000
AG
maverick12 said:

Quote:

The '02 Ponil Complex Fire was directly related to the drowning death a couple years ago.How was it was related?

How was it related? Just curious.

Increased runoff due to a lack of ground cover & soil organic matter, and presence of hydrophobic soils. These conditions would have greatly increased the rate that water rose in the creek.

I have no inside info, just going off what I think would have happened given ursus' description of the conditions following the fire.
Pooh Ah
AG
https://instagr.am/p/Bje9vOin2_l
ccard257
AG
That's pretty much it the flash floods that hit that area since the fire are nuts. I had a crew near where the drowning occurred in 04...after a small rain one of the side canyons had a big gulley washer. We could hear it from our camp and the amount of water it was dumping into north ponil creek after such a small storm was insane.
Pooh Ah
AG
I have to get back to work but this is the best fire map I have seen.

OldAg92
AG
Not to sound like an idiot here, but how has this affected travel to Santa Fe in general? I ask because we are set to go to ABQ for a college visit with my kiddo next month and planned on actually staying at a resort in Santa Fe then driving down to ABQ
CanyonAg77
AG
Well north and east of Santa Fe. But the closure of the SFNF may make it hard to get into any pretty places in the mountains. Pray for rain
Ezra Brooks
AG
It's a long ways from ABQ or Santa Fe - can't see how your trip would be impacted.
wildcat08
AG
Cimarron just received mandatory evacuation notice.
Pooh Ah
AG

From Philmont:

Quote:

Ute Park Fire Update: June 1, 2018 @ 9:30 a.m.

The Ute Park fire is estimated at 8,000 acres with 0% containment; approximately 12 unoccupied, non-residential, non-program structures at Cimarroncita have been lost. Red flag conditions are predicted for the fire area today.

Currently, there are numerous resources from State Forestry and our local and federal partners working to suppress this fire on the ground with support from 2 very large air tankers (VLAT), 6 heavy air tankers, and 4 helicopters. Additional incident management resources are expected to arrive later today to reinforce operations.

The nearby communities of Ute Park and Cimarron are under a mandatory evacuation order due to air quality, and Philmont full-time staff living in Cimarron have been released to care for their families. Philmont staff are prepared to evacuate base camp if the air quality decreases.

The Philmont management team is working closely with the New Mexico State Police and Incident Command to monitor the situation.
birddog7000
AG
OldAg92 said:

Not to sound like an idiot here, but how has this affected travel to Santa Fe in general? I ask because we are set to go to ABQ for a college visit with my kiddo next month and planned on actually staying at a resort in Santa Fe then driving down to ABQ

Should not affect it at all. The closure is for Santa Fe National Forest. I'm sitting in a cabin several miles north of Pecos Village right now. Just can't acces the actual NF land starting today. Had a spectacular day fishing yesterday though!
Pooh Ah
AG
FYI KML data that can be overlaid into Google Maps may be available in a day or so

https://www.geomac.gov
ursusguy
AG
Yes, Cimarron is under a mandatory evacuation. Base camp is now on standby. My friends are packed and ready to leave if it comes to it.
Pooh Ah
AG
ursusguy said:

Yes, Cimarron is under a mandatory evacuation. Base camp is now on standby. My friends are packed and ready to leave if it comes to it.
Life has to be protected, then property but this may put a serious monkey wrench into the June treks. I know Philmont is working a 1,000 issues and are focused on the people on property but the uncertainty is just eating me.

I emailed our troop and told them not to call Philmont, that we would pass word when it came down.

Our scouts have worked hard to be prepared and my heart is breaking for Philmont and our crew.
wangus12
AG
Pooh Ah said:

I'll never forget during our Ranger training hike in 2011, we were out at Porcupine around dusk when ash started to fall on us and then you could smell the fire. Turned out to be a small fire over in Angel Fire that blew over us, but man that was some eerie stuff.
Pooh Ah
AG

From GMap4 ON Facebook

Quote:

Here is a Google + GIS map for Ute Park Fire in New Mexico. This fire has already burned across the Philmont Scout Camp.

When the map opens it shows the MODIS (circles) and VIIRS (squares) satellite hotspot data. The blue line is the Philmont boundary. There are 20+ GIS overlay layers you can turn on/off and restack.
For the map legend and other tips to help you get the most benefit from the map, please click "Map tips" in the upper left corner.

Map link: https://bit.ly/2LPfd4b

It is a great map, you can zoom in, see the trails and camps.
ursusguy
AG
Pooh, don't get discouraged yet. Philmont went through this in '02. It was tough for a few days. Logistics was a nightmare, but by the time the first crews showed up, we had everyone rerouted amd pretty much with their original activities. Keep your head up until there is an official announcement. T
Bird Poo
AG
Thanks ursusguy! Please keep us updated on this thread if you don't mind. You're connections are appreciated.
Mookie
AG
Yes, thanks ursus! I am scheduled for trek 30 the same time as Pooh.
Pooh Ah
AG
Thanks.
aggiepublius
AG
Ursus-! In regard to your comment on the Ponil fire and how hot it burned.

I know that often means that too much undergrowth fuel has been allowed to build up. What has been Philmont historic action plan to keeps things in check? Have they had trail crews and others do clearing or do they do any proscribed burning?

ccard257
AG
Those on Instagram, search #uteparkfire
ursusguy
AG
There has been limited burning in the past. They did a burn years ago on Urraca, that got away mor than they liked.....and getting the other stakeholders to cooperate just didn't happen. They have conservation areas where crews have been thinning for years. There has also been commercial logging and for ranch use logging going on for years. One of the catches is the logging operations can not impact camping operations.

Philmont has worked for years with the state and federal forest guys, and NRCS.

I know they have increased these activities since '02, but I don't know specifics off the top of my head.

And to be clear, there a couple areas, Cyphers and Rayado Canyon near Fish Camp, that absolutely scare the crap out of me.
Pooh Ah
AG
Sounds like smoke is getting thick at base camp and they are preparing to evacuate to a Red Cross shelter.

ursusguy
AG
They are doing a precautionary evacuation of seasonal staff to Springer starting in about 10 minutes.
Pro Sandy
AG
I'm hearing that Harlan is gone and the fire is heading over Deer Lake and to Clark's and Sawmill

aggiepublius
AG
Satellite Hotsport detection from today's passes of MODIS and VIIRS satellites overlaid on USGS topo.

aggiepublius
AG
Latest update from the NM Fire officials:

Quote:

Ute Park Fire Colfax County 06/01 2:20 p.m.
JUNE 1, 2018 BY WMASON 0 COMMENTS
The Ute Park fire, burning on private land off of Highway 64 in Ute Park, NM, is currently estimated at 16,500 acres and 0% contained. The communities of Ute Park and the Village of Cimarron are under mandatory evacuation orders. There are currently two Red Cross Evacuation Centers, one located at the Eagle Nest Senior Center, and another at the Raton Convention Center. At least 296 structures are threatened. Cimarron Canyon State Park will now be closed in order to keep the roadway open for fire crews. Eagle Nest lake State Park is still open, but the lake is closed for helicopters to fight the fire. Highway 64, between Eagle Nest Lake and Cimarron remains closed, and State Route 204 is closed at Cimarron. There may be other localized road closures in place around the fire. Red flag conditions are in effect until 8:00 p.m. tonight (06/01).

Start Date & Time: 05/31/18, 14:10
Start Location: Near Highway 64 in Ute Park, NM, between Eagle Nest Lake and Cimarron
Latitude: 36.551389
Longitude: -105.121125
Cause of Fire: Under investigation
Area Vegetation: Grass and ponderosa pine
Acres Burned: 16,500
Ownership(s): State
Structures Threatened: Yes/296
Structures Burned: 12 non-residential, unoccupied
Evacuations (Y or N & #): Y / Evacuation order in place for Hummingbird Lane and surrounding area. Voluntary evacuations in place for Cimarron.
Containment: 0%
Closures: Highway 64, between Eagle Nest Lake and Cimarron is closed, and State Route 204 is closed at Cimarron. There may be other localized road closures in place around the fire.

Wendy Mason
Wildfire Prevention & Communications Coordinator
New Mexico State Forestry
wendy.mason@state.nm.us

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.