Outdoors
Sponsored by

Fire at Philmont

52,532 Views | 333 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BigHead 04
Pooh Ah
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://philmontscoutranch.org/About/FireInformation.aspx

Quote:

Philmont Scout Ranch has a fire burning on ranch property near Ute Park. There are no participants on the property at this time and all staff have been accounted for. Many agencies including the Philmont Fire Department are on scene.

"The safety and well-being of our participants and staff is of paramount importance to the BSA, and integral to everything we do. We are thankful that no youth members, adult volunteers or staff have been harmed, and we greatly appreciate our first responders for keeping our community safe."

https://nmfireinfo.com

Quote:

Ute Park Fire Colfax County 05/31 7:00 p.m.

Posted by WMason

The Ute Park Fire is burning off of Highway 64 in Ute Park, NM. Highway 64 between Eagle Nest Lake and Cimarron Canyon is currently closed. The fire is estimated at 1,200 acres. Approximately 50 structures are threatened and evacuations are underway for the community of Hummingbird and surrounding areas. The fire is burning on private land including the Philmont Scout Ranch. Ranch staff report that there are no participants/scouts at the ranch at this time and all staff are accounted for. Multiple resources are working this fire on the ground with support from heavy air tankers from above. Eagle Nest Lake is closed so that firefighting aircraft can use the lake as a water source.

Start Date & Time: 05/31/18, 1410

Start Location: Near Highway 64 in Ute Park, NM, between Eagle Nest Lake and Cimarron

Cause of Fire: Unknown

Area Vegetation: Grass and ponderosa pine

Acres Burned: 1,200

Ownership(s): State

Structures Threatened: Yes

Structures Burned: 0

Evacuations (Y or N & #): Y / Evacuations are underway for the community of Hummingbird and surrounding area

Wendy Mason
Wildfire Prevention & Communications Coordinator
New Mexico State Forestry
wendy.mason@state.nm.us

Our crew leaves on June 12.

Bird Poo
AG
Thanks for posting. Our crew leaves the last weekend of June. Our trek will be centered in the southeast part of the park (fishing trek), but I wonder if they'll reroute other treks.
Pooh Ah
AG
ursusguy
AG
I am chatting with the current bear guy right now. Give me a few minutes
Pooh Ah
AG
ursusguy said:

Thanks
BrazosBQ
AG
That's a bummer.

Went in '07 and hiked thru a portion of where the Ponil Complex Fire hit in '02. Would be interested to see what all of that looks like now.
Pooh Ah
AG

1,200+ acres and growing. Winds forecast to blow 30 to 40 tomorrow.

Just really sad and there are people putting themselves in harm's way as I type.

I am curious hear from Philmont in the days to come about the ranch and North Country Treks.

Bird Poo
AG
ursusguy said:

Mookie
AG
Our trek is June 12 as well.
Pooh Ah
AG
nm
ursusguy
AG
I've got 4 different conversations going on. At the moment it's not terrible, but it is a HOT fire and any squirrlyness to head anyway south will be bad.

A few minutes ago you could see the fire on the Angle Fire webcam
ursusguy
AG
They were already prepping for a bad bear year due to how dry it is.

If the fire tracks to the NE. It will hit a huge fire break, but it is 15 years old. Beyond that, it will get into the burn area of the 02 Ponil Complex fire. This is not great, but there is virtually no large fuel through there, but a lot of fine fuel and terrain. So some good and some bad.

Todd 02
AG
Pooh Ah said:

Flagged

Blue starred!
wildcat08
AG
Update on Ute Park Fire: Angel Fire Chief John Murtagh: The Ute Park Fire has grown to 2500 acres and is still growing. Moving east/northeast. US Hwy 64 is still closed between Eagle Nest and Cimarron. Fire has jumped US Hwy 64. Evacuation Centers have been set up at Eagle Nest Senior Citizen Center and the Cimarron Baptist Church. Ute Park has been evacuated.

Updated Thurs. May 31, 2018 6:59 PM
wildcat08
AG
Forgot to note that gusty west winds are predicted tomorrow, around 20 mph. It is only about 5 hours old, so has blown up quickly.
Pooh Ah
AG

Posted for the aerial footage
wildcat08
AG
Wow, 5000 acres now. Covering ground.
Pooh Ah
AG
There are varying reports on the size of the fire. Not sure who is accurate.
ursusguy
AG
Working on it, that rate of spread actually wouldn't be a shock
ursusguy
AG
Here is the deal. If it runs to the Northeast, it's not terrible. It will burn into the '02 fire burn area. Lots of fine fuel, but not a whole lot of heavy fuel....so a pretty fast but not overly intense fire. The concern is a wind straight out of the west or northwest. That will push into some very dry, very dry fuel.
wildcat08
AG
Yeah, going NE would be a blessing. East or SE would not be pretty. Reports of Cimmaron evacuation recommended now.
Pooh Ah
AG
Winds from the WSW tomorrow. Sounds like it will be close. Hopefully the fire crews can do some magic.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Thanks for the update bear guy
ursusguy
AG
Jumped the highway. Sucks, but that is better for Cimarron.
ursusguy
AG
Guys, this may get bad.

"Cimarron residents received a text a few minutes ago recommending non-mandatory evacuations. Residents were told to prepare for mandatory evacuation. Officials are setting up an evacuation center at the Raton Convention Center."

My friends at PTC are loading up. I suspect the Philmont fleet of trucks is about to head to Cimarron........staff has been told Base is safe and not evacuating
aggiepublius
AG
This is the latest SPC from Norman (NWS severe prediction team) and it is not favorable likely why the are alerting now.

ZCZC SPCFWDDY2 ALL
FNUS22 KWNS 311915

Day 2 Fire Weather Outlook
NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
0215 PM CDT Thu May 31 2018

Valid 011200Z - 021200Z

...CRITICAL FIRE WEATHER AREA FOR PORTIONS OF
SOUTH-CENTRAL/SOUTHEASTERN COLORAD...NORTHERN/CENTRAL NEW
MEXICO...FAR WESTERN OKLAHOMA/TEXAS PANHANDLES...

Critical fire weather conditions (sustained southwest surface winds of 20-30 mph and RH values of 5-15%) are still expected across large portions of New Mexico, south-central/southeastern Colorado, and far western portions of the Oklahoma/Texas Panhandles. The critical delineation was trimmed along its western edge as upper-level support for stronger winds have shifted east/north in the latest model guidance. Additionally, adjustments were made to the elevated/critical delineations in western Kansas, eastern Colorado, and the Oklahoma/Texas Panhandles based on recent rainfall estimates/observations leading to variable fine fuel conditions in these areas. Locally critical fire weather conditions (sustained
west-southwest surface winds of 15-20 mph and RH values of 8-20%)
are also likely across portions of western Colorado and southern New
Mexico.
ursusguy
AG
Yeah, I've been watching that.
ursusguy
AG
More of an interesting sidebar....in case you are planning a trip to the Santa Fe NF any time soon....it is closed.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-new-mexico-forest/new-mexico-closes-national-forest-to-public-due-to-drought-fire-risk-idUSKCN1IX3HW
Pooh Ah
AG
aggie67,74&76
AG
Sad to hear. The fire in 2002 at Ponil devastated a huge area of Philmont that still has not fully recovered. Hopefully the current fire will go into this area burned in 2002 and can be contained or will burn itself out.
Pooh Ah
AG
Still waiting for a morning update but there are some good overnight images of the fire.

ursusguy
AG
Last night that seemed to be where it was headed. Waiting for my contacts out there to wake up.

In '02, I was the first seasonal staff allowed north of 64 after the fire. It was shocking to say the least. That following fall/winter/spring I was on the original Fire Rehab team. We felled and placed thousands of burned trees, but it was a drop in the bucket. I established a number vegetation plots throughout the burn area. As of 2016, some areas still had no grass growth. That fire burned so hot that the soil got sterilized, and hydrophobic soil conditions were established. The '02 Ponil Complex Fire was directly related to the drowning death a couple years ago.
Pooh Ah
AG

Here is a Google Earth Image of the central country showing the camps, routes, and Itinerary 32 (Ours).

If I am reading the satellite detection of the fire correctly, Visto Grange to Six Mile Gate and Cimmeron Cito but I am open to correction...
aggie67,74&76
AG
ursusguy said:

Last night that seemed to be where it was headed. Waiting for my contacts out there to wake up.

In '02, I was the first seasonal staff allowed north of 64 after the fire. It was shocking to say the least. That following fall/winter/spring I was on the original Fire Rehab team. We felled and placed thousands of burned trees, but it was a drop in the bucket. I established a number vegetation plots throughout the burn area. As of 2016, some areas still had no grass growth. That fire burned so hot that the soil got sterilized, and hydrophobic soil conditions were established. The '02 Ponil Complex Fire was directly related to the drowning death a couple years ago.
Stay safe and please keep us updated.
CanyonAg77
AG
The drive from Cimarron to Eagle Nest is one of the prettiest in New Mexico. Hate to see that happening.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.