Outdoors
Sponsored by

Mosquitos are outdoors

66,628 Views | 402 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TAMUallen
java94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Question, do they put off a nasty smell like those old style fly traps do?
EFE
AG
Not that I've noticed
BMach
AG
No smell at all, plus even if they did, you're supposed to hang them away from the areas that you occupy.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Is this it basically??

dr_boogs
AG
No
Capt.Clay
AG
Removed Post.
Capt.Clay
AG
I'll buy a few if you have leftovers. I live off I-10 and Gessner.
tgivaughn
AG
1/2 acre of live oaks harbor mosquitoes for the winter then they breed like crazy all 30 summers in Brazos County.
I have tried everything from Yard Guard to various Citronella offerings and even once a NASA research $300 fan-can w/bells/whistles as large as a 3-5 gallon bucket.

The only things that work for us where the wind allows them to fly
is
OFF (Deep Woods for bad conditions)
+
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HTSQBY/?coliid=I1OJE3IN415P94&colid=CAYO0JYFWFO2&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
whose fan is easily replaced with computer parts fans

Nothing else produces trapped skeeters as well ... no explanation.
Screen pull tray gets a hose spray cleaning every few weeks so fan works best.
IMHO and am sticking to it
aggiefan83
AG
I bought a box (of 2) back in March off of the Spartan website, I guess before they stopped selling to residential.

We live in Dallas on a quarter acre lot, and normally this time of year we are covered in mosquitos. So much so that we avoid going outside because you know you're going to get bit within seconds if you don't spray down with the deet. My kids get huge welts when they get bit, so it's even worse for them.

I saw mixed reviews on these, but went ahead and took a chance, and I put one in the front yard, and one in the back. So far this year, I'm not sure I've had one bite. We had a swim party yesterday where we'd normally have everyone spray themselves, but no one did this time, and no one got bit as far as I know. I didn't, and my kids certainly didn't.

The results are pretty amazing, and so far I'd highly recommend this product. Although from the instructions/website, if a lot of you are just now buying the product to put out for the first time, you are probably a little bit behind, and the product may not work as well. If that's the case, I'd try again next year, just put them out a little bit earlier.
OnlyForNow
AG
How long do they last?
Breggy Popup
AG
24 hours in...

Spent about 30 minutes out back and got two bites.

48 hours in...

Spent over an hour outside and got one bite.

I usually last about 15 minutes before retreating inside because I get hammered by mosquitoes. Still cautious optimism but things SEEM to be better. Now that the pool temp is swimmable I suspect I am going to get a good sample size of whether a real difference is being made. So far it gets a "probably maybe" from me.
Breggy Popup
AG
OnlyForNow said:

How long do they last?

90 days.
lotsofhp
AG
java94 said:

Those fly traps do smell awful
aggieforester05
AG
lotsofhp said:

java94 said:

Yes, but they work. I've just learned to put them in an area where I spend very little time.
aggieforester05
AG
I'm using the traps in the OP and I've seen a huge reduction in the mosquito population in my yard.
Oruc Reis
AG
Where do I get this voodoo magic in Dallas?
Bobcat-Ag
Oruc Reis said:

Where do I get this voodoo magic in Dallas?
https://spartanmosquito.com/retail-locations-buy-spartan-mosquito-eradicators/
UnderoosAg
AG
lotsofhp said:

java94 said:

My brother got liquid fly traps once. My dad accidentally spilled a glob of it on the living room carpet. We were about 30 seconds from torching the house.
Oruc Reis
AG
There's nothing within 30 miles of me. Would TSC carry it?
jonj101
TX AG 88 said:

dlance said:

I've been getting hammered (not in a good way) since March/April starting at 5PM every evening. I just put six out (two at each of three corners of my lot in well shaded trees). Got five bites in the five minutes or so that I was hanging them up.

From the articles I have read and the feedback here, I am cautiously optimistic. I have tried foggers, candles, multiple types of wood fires in the pit and nothing works well. I really don't want to shell out $2000+ for a misting system that is going to kill everything in the area. Let's see what happens!

I have done this, but my yard is large and it was more like $3k, and I could never tell that it helped a bit. Spent $125 every month or so on Riptide refills for a couple of years and finally gave up. Complete waste of my money, although some have said their results were better. I hope these work as well as some on here said (I disbelieve everything i hear about mosquito control, by unfortunate conditioning). It may be worth a drive down to Poth to get some...
Do you recall the company that put your system in? Which system did you go with?
Oruc Reis
AG
I'm just going to order a 10 pack and resell to the neighbors
TX AG 88
AG
jonj101 said:

TX AG 88 said:

dlance said:

I've been getting hammered (not in a good way) since March/April starting at 5PM every evening. I just put six out (two at each of three corners of my lot in well shaded trees). Got five bites in the five minutes or so that I was hanging them up.

From the articles I have read and the feedback here, I am cautiously optimistic. I have tried foggers, candles, multiple types of wood fires in the pit and nothing works well. I really don't want to shell out $2000+ for a misting system that is going to kill everything in the area. Let's see what happens!

I have done this, but my yard is large and it was more like $3k, and I could never tell that it helped a bit. Spent $125 every month or so on Riptide refills for a couple of years and finally gave up. Complete waste of my money, although some have said their results were better. I hope these work as well as some on here said (I disbelieve everything i hear about mosquito control, by unfortunate conditioning). It may be worth a drive down to Poth to get some...
Do you recall the company that put your system in? Which system did you go with?

I don't recall. It was a good Ag that sold/installed it. I don't blame or fault him or the manufacturers. The system worked like expected - it distributed a mist of insecticide (pyrethrin/pemerithrin sp? based) on a set schedule, just like it was supposed to. However, the stuff just didn't clear my yard of mosquitos. Not even a noticeable decline. Maybe they sit outside my fenceline and then make a bee line (mosquito line?) to me and mine when we step outside. I have no idea where the standing water is, but it's obviously somewhere. We have a green-belt behind our house, and I'm sure that's a lot to do with it. Also, the neighbors on either side rarely go outside (they're both old). So, maybe they have old tires sitting around their yards, i don't know. For SOME reason, the system didn't help me. Others have said that theirs did. SO, I won't give an Ag and his company a negative review, just a fair warning to others that those systems don't always work as the buyer and seller hope or even expect.
dubi
AG
We own 2 houses next door to each other that back to Bee Creek.

I put out 4 last Saturday. Hoping it will help!!!!
schmellba99
AG
Hrrrmmmm.....feed store near me has these. Haven't had much of an issue with mosquitos this year, but I'm still intrigued by the positive results posted so far. May make a trip this weekend to see cost.
RO519
AG
schmellba99 said:

Hrrrmmmm.....feed store near me has these. Haven't had much of an issue with mosquitos this year, but I'm still intrigued by the positive results posted so far. May make a trip this weekend to see cost.

They're $20 for a pack of two. The pack of two treats up to 1 acre for 90 days
dubi
AG
RO519 said:

schmellba99 said:

They're $20 for a pack of two. The pack of two treats up to 1 acre for 90 days
It said to double up if were just getting started and had a big problem already.
Pale Rider
AG
What's the expiration? If I get a 10 pack and only use half of them, does the other half go bad? (Eg if need to sell/give them away)
Breggy Popup
AG
72 hours in...

Been out back since 5:45. Haven't had a bite yet but I have swatted a few away. They don't seem to be swarming in the numbers they used to.

My wife went to the corner of the yard where I have two units hanging to check on a hole the dig has been working at and she said they were definitely swarming there. So the attractant seems to be for real.
BMach
AG
No, I see no reason why you can't hold on to any that you don't add water to indefinitely.
Bird Dog
AG
Sounds good, thanks.
Mr07Ag
AG
I'm in for some if you have any left.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I'm ordering a second case due to requests, will let yall know when they arrive. Got Captn Clay, Mr.07Ag and Dummble covered plus have room for a couple of more.
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
dummble
AG
I would like to get in on a few.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Bird Dog and Boats and Hose, first shipment arrived and ready for pickup. Address is 820 Gessner. Email me at mmaddox@brothers-law.com when you are on the way.
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
saltydog13
AG
Put up 4 around the corners of our 1 acre today. We'll see how it goes

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.