Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bigfoot

35,069 Views | 186 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Badace52
FSGuide
How long do you want to ignore this user?

There you go. Best I got. My wife swears it was a tree stump but I swear that "tree stump" was not there the next day when we went up the same ridge.
Bigfootisreal
I approve of this thread.
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
FSGuide said:

There you go. Best I got. My wife swears it was a tree stump but I swear that "tree stump" was not there the next day when we went up the same ridge.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
IDAGG
AG
FSGuide said:

Enhance...enhance...
Shane431
AG
If you really believe in Bigfoot you should have to surrender your degree and ring!
TheEyeGuy
AG
ReloadAg said:

Every once in a while while you're flipping through the guide on the TV and you come across one of those Bigfoot evidence shows that kinda make you wonder even though there's about a 99% chance it's all BS. Fun to think about though if ol Sasquatch was really out there though.

Where's my old thread?
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
BurrOak
AG
Shane431 said:

If you really believe in Bigfoot you should have to surrender your degree and ring
TheEyeGuy
AG
Shane431 said:

If you really believe in Bigfoot you should have to surrender your degree and ring!
Listen to Coast To Coast AM (RIP Noori).... it'll open your eyes!
stdeb11
AG
Shane431
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

Shane431 said:

Is this one of those "the government is covering it up things" or are you being sarcastic?
TheEyeGuy
AG
Shane431 said:

TheEyeGuy said:

Shane431 said:

Is this one of those "the government is covering it up things" or are you being sarcastic?
Pure.Entertainment.Value.
hurleyag
AG
On the remains issue, what if Bigfoot's bone structure is the same as ours?
TheEyeGuy
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

In this day and age with game cameras everywhere and night vision scopes and thermal technology, if squatch were out there in TX, LA or FL, he would have been seen already.

If you start talking about massive wilderness areas in places like BC, it's a possibility but still almost zero evidence to support it and I personally believe it's a hoax.

I love watching those shows and the interviews with the cryptozoologists... it just blows my mind that you're alledging that there is a breeding population of some sort of giant ape out there with almost zero fossil evidence to support it.
Almost.... so you admit there is fossil evidence to support it.
HouseDivided06
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

Shane431 said:

TheEyeGuy said:

Shane431 said:

Pure.Entertainment.Value.
Just to add to this thread...

CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
There's a post by username NITESIDE on the bottom of page 6 of the "Personal Paranormal Stories?" thread on Aggies Only (link below) regarding Bigfoot that is a fun read at the very least.

Personal Paranormal Stories (p. 6)
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
The coelacanth was thought to be extinct until one was caught in 1938. Since then there have been 80+ recovered now. The oceans make up 70% of the earth's surface and considering the depths and remoteness that this fish is found, that is an enormous area. No way in hell someone has yet to stumble on to solid photos, carcass, limbs, scat, teeth, domicile, etc of a bigfoot in some back woods hell hole.

Don't care how many acres exist out there, it is a mere drop in the bucket in relation to the deep oceans. My goofy M-I-L talks of hearing really weird sounds and stuff happening around Canton when she lived there, no doubt some east Texas redneck would have shot and mounted one by now.
HarleySpoon
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

no doubt some east Texas redneck would have shot and mounted one by now.

No doubt.
Brush Country
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

no doubt some east Texas redneck would have shot and mounted one by now.
"Samsquanch facker, do you need assistance??!!"
NoahAg
FSGuide said:

Then why didn't you take a second picture???
AggieChemist
AG
Quote:

Since the 15th century, and possibly earlier, there have been accounts of hairy, nude, and tremendously strong people living in the more obscure corners of the Caucasus. Called 'Almas,' the creatures are occasionally shot, sometimes domesticated (and, in one case, wed). Across the sunbaked Eurasian steppe and high in the Himalayas, there is the white-furred Yeti, the abominable snowman of hikers' accounts. Six thousand miles away, the so-called 'skunk-ape' skulks among the swamps in between Florida strip-malls, refreshing himself with chlorinated water from the swimming pools of Miami-Dade County's McMansions. The Dreamtime country of Australia's outback has the 'Yowie'; in Indonesia, there is the jabbering, tiny, orange-colored 'Ebu Gogo,' or the 'Grandma who eats anything.' And, of course, ambling among the redwoods in the misty forests of the Pacific Northwest is the most iconic crypto-zoological primate of all: the Sasquatch.

I am agnostic on the scientific reality of Bigfoot, though the Florida skunk ape hiding among the cul-de-sacs of suburban Miami seems a tad unlikely. Most primatologists do not consider the existence of an unknown North American Great Ape, or a remnant of the Australopithecus or Neanderthal population, as likely. I have no reason to contradict them. Yet whether Sasquatch is real or not, people often seem to wish and believe that he was. Why has Bigfoot, and his associated permutationsthe 'wild men'been such a frequent expectation? Why do we keep on seeing the Sasquatch that isn't there?
Enkidu, from the ancient Sumerian Epic of Gilgamesh, arguably marks the beginning of the 'wild man' genealogy. Both "an animal and a man," he is the prototypical pre-human, a liminal man-beast, not quite wild and not quite tame (that is until he is domesticated by the goddess Shamhat with sex and beer, as so many are). Enkidu fights a losing battle with Gilgamesh, and from that brawl they "became bonded in friendship." Enkidu represents our primal roots in nature, suggesting that people are fundamentally animals. The battle between Gilgamesh and Enkidu enacts civilization's struggles as it emerges from the wilderness, but also serves as a reminder of how superficial that difference can be.

Their friendship points to humanity's bestial genesis.
Imagine how potent this message must have been during civilization's infancy, when the vast majority still lived as hunter-gatherers and the cultural memory of that earlier state was not so distant. This first wild-man allegory was followed by similar stories. There are biblical accounts of the hirsute Esau who is 'red, all over like a hairy garment' and is later supplanted by his younger brother Jacob. There are the giant Nephilim, and there is the humiliation of Nebuchadnezzar reduced to a brutish state. Wild men also appear in classical accounts of fawns and satyrs, and the animalistic Pan could be seen as a type of 'Sasquatch,' even if he is more caprine than apish. Medieval Europe had its wild men, its woodwoses, its fairies and fays, and its Green Men, all examples of intermediaries between culture and our animalistic beginnings.

There is one version of the wild man that, through contrast, helps to explain the Sasquatch: the 'noble savage.' The idea of the 'noble savage,' particularly in the writings of Jean-Jacques Rousseau, is humankind in pristine, uncorrupted, natural perfection. He represents the virginal innocence of our species' origins. The noble savage is a natural inhabitant of Edenand so is the Sasquatch. Both hark back to the prelapsarian simplicity of life before civilization corrupted us, an era before government, law, industry, commerce and war. The difference is that, while the 'noble savage' has an air of admirable innocence, the Sasquatch is uncanny, a creepily distorted reflection of our most primal nature. The historian of science Brian Regal writes in Searching for Sasquatch (2011) of these 'apish' monsters that are "disturbingly like us," which have "stalked the dark parts of the human psyche, as well as forests, for millennia."

The wild man takes part in a mode that I (only partially tongue-in-cheek) call the 'Sasquatch Pastoral." Pastoralism is identified with Virgil's Eclogues and Horace's Epodes, with the Renaissance poetry of Petrarch and Boccaccio, of Spenser and Marlowethings that might seem rather far from a comedy such as Harry and the Hendersons. The Princeton Handbook of Poetic Terms explains that pastoral literature is defined by "interest in the relation of the human to the natural world," allowing for "imaginary rustic diversions." Does not the allure of the Sasquatch relate to that definition of the pastoral? But the Sasquatch Pastoral is more unsettling, indeed disquieting, though it fulfills much of the same catharsis that the more traditional pastoral does. The Sasquatch Pastoral is the wild, bestial inversion of the classical view, a kind of uncanny Arcadia.

Perhaps the best example of the Sasquatch Pastoral is the character Caliban, from Shakespeare's The Tempest. He combines the feral nature of a beast with an unsettling facility in human language (taught to him by Prospero). Upon encountering the jumbled, bestial form of Caliban, Trinculo says: "Were I in England now there would this monster make a/man; any strange beast there makes a man.' Caliban is also darkly connected to European representations of aboriginal inhabitants, presented as a not entirely unsympathetic ignoble savage.

In The Country and the City (1975), Raymond Williams described the pastoral as "myth functioning as memory." The Sasquatch, as an evolutionary middle between humanity's past and our present, is a type of pseudo-scientific myth understood in the language of memory. The allure of the Sasquatch is that by imagining ourselves "in the body of Sasquatch'as the historian of science Joshua Blu Buhs writes in Bigfoot: The Life and Times of a Legend (2009)people 'could come into contact with their own souls, their own repressed and forbidden desires"; we could envision our own origins. In short, the Sasquatch Pastoral is where our desires and fears concerning the animal nature of humanity are projected onto shadowy creatures, a manifestation of our awareness of the messy biological reality of what it means to be human.

Bigfoot might or might not roam the primeval forests of the Pacific Northwest, watching us and avoiding us, a reminder of our deepest, animalistic past. But whether or not there is an actual creature, the archetypal Sasquatch is, in his own way, very real.

I love the idea of Bigfoot. Do I think he exists? No. Do I accept the possibility that he exists? Yes. Do I hope he exists? Yes.
1990AG
AG
Wowzer....

TexAggee05
AG
I'll, believe it when Q drops a crumb about Bigfoot.
Gus Fring
rather be fishing said:

rather be fishing said:

Let's say you take all of the reported bigfoot sightings since 2000 throughout the USA. Then, let's say you're looking at something like 2000 sightings that are not complete fabrications. To whittle it down some more, let's say 80-90% of those reports are easily explained away.

This leaves a significant number of reported sightings that need legitimate study to disprove.

I love bigfoot stuff.
My speech class theorem was proving bigfoot exists.

Can you post your speech please?
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
stdeb11 said:

Futurama has a nice bio piece on Bigfoot:

rather be fishing
AG
Gus Fring said:

rather be fishing said:

rather be fishing said:

Let's say you take all of the reported bigfoot sightings since 2000 throughout the USA. Then, let's say you're looking at something like 2000 sightings that are not complete fabrications. To whittle it down some more, let's say 80-90% of those reports are easily explained away.

This leaves a significant number of reported sightings that need legitimate study to disprove.

I love bigfoot stuff.
My speech class theorem was proving bigfoot exists.

Can you post your speech please?

It was all in my noggin. I can possibly give Cliff's Notes.
TRD-Ferguson
AG
When I was a student at A&M there was a Bigfoot sighting in Cameron. Yes, Cameron Texas. This was '76 or '77. My 3 roommates and I did what any good Ags would do. Loaded up in the pickup with deer rifles, shotguns, sidearms, Miller Lite and Doritos and went hunting for Bigfoot. We did not find him.
Ulrich
Pacing The Cage said:

When I was a student at A&M there was a Bigfoot sighting in Cameron. Yes, Cameron Texas. This was '76 or '77. My 3 roommates and I did what any good Ags would do. Loaded up in the pickup with deer rifles, shotguns, sidearms, Miller Lite and Doritos and went hunting for Bigfoot. We did not find him.

There's your problem, no jerky.
Breggy Popup
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

Shane431 said:

George Noory is still kicking and hosting the show. RIP Art Bell.
ursusguy
AG
Every year, the Texas Bigfoot group tries to get TPWD biologists to go out with them during their field "surveys". Yeah, not going to happen.
TheEyeGuy
AG
dlance said:

TheEyeGuy said:

Shane431 said:

George Noory is still kicking and hosting the show. RIP Art Bell.
Dammit, it was Art.
IDAGG
AG
TexAggee05 said:

I'll, believe it when Q drops a crumb about Bigfoot.
- What is big?
- What is hairy?
- THINK
- Coast to Coast?
- How did Art die?
- Who needed him dead?
- You know more than you think you do!
ursusguy
AG
http://woodape.org/index.php/about-us

Awesome group, y'all should check them out. Granted, doesn't look like they have done much in awhile.

Make sure you google "Texas Bigfoot Research Center".

Looks like the big 2018 Texas Bigfoot Conference is being held in Jefferson this year. October 19-20th.
TX scallywAG
AG
I believe the only mammals found on every continent (excluding Antarctica) are mice/rats. Bigfoot like creatures are sited on all these as well which is my biggest issue. Not enough food source in all those places.

This leaves me two main thoughts:

1. It's something engrained in the humans psyche we don't understand. We see the boogie man as some residual predator/prey instinct. This explains worldwide sightings for hundreds/thousands of years.

2. We are catching a glimpse of something not an animal. This would explain:
- No bodies
- Worldwide sightings
- Blurry photos

Perhaps it's something spiritual, or evil, we aren't meant to be seeing...

"There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that..." - Genesis 6:4

While I love the biological creature idea, it's hard to believe for me. I'll probably catch some flack for the second theory but I don't mind. The Nephilim (also the Watchers) and their giant descendants are a fascinating theological discussion, and I'm surprised it doesn't get brought up more in Bigfoot theories.

Regardless of what you think, here's an awesome encounter from Les Stroud, Survivor Man.

The second story is great...
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
Redstone
AG
1. If the paranormal (ghosts, spirits, residual, poltergeist) supernatural (God) and preternatural (angels, demons) exists (I believe they do), then the phenomenon could exist.
2. Strange **** happens in the woods all the time. Ask a park ranger about why park disappearance data is not public. Look into Fortean disappearances and marvel at the commonalities that exist across time and environment (I'll start you off: red clothing and red accessories).
Redstone
AG
Maybe the deep woods "does" something to the human psyche. We imagine.

Or.

Maybe our materialist conceptions can be much more false than we want them to be. Look up the (many) firsthand accounts of a person having sight and sound of their companion(s), and then - total silence.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.