Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best wood pellet smoker?

14,085 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggiegold
Mark Fairchild
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for the OB experts advice on a wood pellet smoker. See the Traeger stuff, but are there other quality options out there?
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
OhAggie98
AG
I just did some research on this over the past week. Brands I considered based on OB recommendations and my research online. See this thread.

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2944438

Treager - didn't select as 400deg F seems to be the max, and not capable of a good quality sear.

Pit Boss - Has direct flame broil feature for searing steaks, price is decent, metal it's made of is not as thick as some. I think reaches temps around 500deg F.

Louisiana Grills - seemed to be higher end version of Pit Boss, with slightly thicker metal.

Grilla Grills received a lot of positive recommendations. Goes up to 500deg F, and has underneath storage.

Rectec looked to be another great option. Prices per cooking area was a little more than I wanted to spend. Was high on my list.

Camp Chef windwood received good recs. Send you need the propane sear box option to get a good sear. I didn't want to go that route.

Green Mountain Grills - I ended up going with the GMG Jim Bowie. Great size for the price, thicker construction than most others, integral meat temp probe, electronic controls, max temp of 550deg F, and reaches over 800deg F with the pizza oven attachment. Doesn't have direct flame broil, but a decent sear looks like it can be achieved with the higher temp. It has a WI-FI option, but I didn't get that. I just picked it up today, need to assemble.

Hope all this helps.
aTm2004
AG
I don't have one but some friends of ours recently bought one from Costco. He's a pilot and told me that he spent several nights in his hotel room doing nothing but reading up on all of the brands, and felt the one from Costco was the best bang for his buck. Food from it tasted delicious.
OhAggie98
AG
The Traeger Road Show hits the Costco's around the country. They may or may not be at your Costco, as they are at one for 2 weeks or so and move on.
Brush Country Ag
AG
Mark: Ace Hdwre in Rockport has the Traegers and I think I saw Pit Boss at Lowe's in Aransas Pass. We have Traeger and love it.
Cardiag
AG
Was about to post the same thread.

Also looking at the Pitts and Spitts grills. Its a Houston company. The guy at Texas Star Grill Shop promoted that one. Has the same controls as the Memphis grills. The Traeger Timberline series also looks good.
TxAgg07
AG
Yoder. End of thread.
BQRyno
AG
Much less common, but I love my Mak 2 Star General. Great product and customer service.
aggiedata
AG
For quality steel plus design and tech you should consider the made in Texas brand Pitts and Spitts.

Neighbor just got one. I'm very impressed.

aggiechugger
AG
I would second the Pitts & Spitts recommendation. They are built like a tank and one of the best controllers on the market. Pitts & Spitts also has WiFi kit for their pellet grills as well. I have had a Traeger for about a year now and have liked everything I have ccoked on it, I have three briskets smoking on it right now, but I will probably get a Pitts & Spitts sometime after the first of the year. I have a buddy that has the Yoder YS 640 and it is a well built pellet grill as well.
Bigballin
AG
I have a Pitts & Spitts and love it.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Since I am in Rockport, will recheck my ACE, definitely looking low end, just do not have to cook for an entire tribe anymore. Thanks to all for the ref's, looks like I have a LOT OF READING ahead. Gig'em!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
AgAE
AG
I had a Louisiana Grills. Pellet hopper caught on fire several times. Not a good thing when that happens! I wouldn't have another one if it were given to me. Now have a Yoder YS640 on the competition cart. Awesome grill!! Can't go wrong in my opinion.
OaklandAg06
AG
Yoder ys640

Naveronski
AG
I think Gator Pits came out with a pellet smoker, might be worth looking into.
khkman22
AG
Naveronski said:

SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Naveronski said:

tony
AG
Really depends on your price point.

Go to
Www.amazingribs.com

They review a ton. I researched for a long time and settled on a green mountain him Bowie.

There customer service is the reason I chose them. There were many many threads in the amazing ribs forum about there great customer service.

I saw it first hand, when I was putting it together they had changed a piece but it wasn't updated in there how to videos, I emailed in asking and got a return call 3 minutes later
CowtownAg06
AG
I've got the Camp Chef Woodwind and have been very happy. Did sausage and asparagus tonight. I've done ribs and steak as well. All great.
Long Live Sully
AG
Naveronski said:

If you want to pay for it, never get it and sell it for a loss.
Naveronski
AG
I was being facetious above ^.
EskimoJoe
Naveronski said:

I was being facetious above ^.

I sense he was also.
TXAGFAN
AG
TxAgg07 said:

Yoder. End of thread.
I dunno about that. I was about to pull trigger on one and seems like the paint finish is awful, lots of rust a couple months after purchase.
Long Live Sully
AG
Si. I know.
Central Committee
AG
I have had my Louisiana Grill for about 5 years now, and love it. Will never go back to gas.

Buy a size larger than what you think you need.
ironmanag
AG
I love my traeger but the heat limitation is an issue.
96ags
AG
I have a RecTec and absolutely love it.

There are a number of good to great pellet grills on the market now and you just have to find the price point/features that fit you.

The list above is very accurate and a great starting point.

Bird Poo
AG
Rec Tec here. Best ribs I've ever cooked were had last weekend. I bought the removable shelf and can easily cook 3 large briskets at a time.

Had it for a year and not a single problem. Just be sure to get a cheap shop vac to clean out the ash,drippings every 3-4 smokes.

Never going back to gas again either!
cr
You guys are tempting me...

I like the GMG Bowie, but their warranty is only 2 years. Lots of cooking area and heavier steel in the body, though.
powerbelly
AG
Everything I have had from my in-laws pellet smoker has seemed under-smoked, like it came out of an oven.

I like the idea, but are there brands that are known for more smoke?
BlueSmoke
Are you used to the traditional off-set smokers? Pellets are not going to give you that level of bark and smoke. But they are also almost foolproof. You plug them in, and dial up your temp. I'd be curious how far off they are from a traditional smoker relative to the time/effort you DO NOT have to put into the final product?
Nobody cares. Work Harder
powerbelly
AG
BlueSmoke said:

Are you used to the traditional off-set smokers? Yes

Pellets are not going to give you that level of bark and smoke. But they are also almost foolproof. You plug them in, and dial up your temp. This is why I am considering one.

Thanks for the response.
nancydeedavis
Bigballin said:

I have a Pitts & Spitts and love it.
Add me to the Pitts & Spitts list. I think they're the best on the market...and they're made here in Texas.
96ags
AG
BlueSmoke said:

Are you used to the traditional off-set smokers? Pellets are not going to give you that level of bark and smoke. But they are also almost foolproof. You plug them in, and dial up your temp. I'd be curious how far off they are from a traditional smoker relative to the time/effort you DO NOT have to put into the final product?

In my experience they aren't that far off from the product that comes off of a quality offset smoker that tends to burn efficiently.

If you are use to a lot of white smoke and smoldering fires, then you will certainly notice a difference in something cooked on a pellet smoker.

There are things that can be done to add smoke if that is what you want, but I've never found it necessary for my taste.
cr
oh noes..

PB has me doubting pellet smokers now.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.