Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best wood pellet smoker?

14,082 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggiegold
Long Live Sully
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
garc said:

oh noes..

PB has me doubting pellet smokers now.
Yeah. I read people here saying a pellet smoker is superior to gas. That is a given. As for being the equal to a wood offset smoker I just don't see how it can.

I have to cook some briskets at my father in law's for a family reunion in a few weeks and he wants me to use his RecTec. I have no idea how that is going to work. I have an Lyfe Time offset that is at least 30 years old and it never fails me.

Load it with wood. Keep the temp. 18 hours later we eat.

Can anyone advise on how to do a quality brisket on one of these?
Cow Hop Ag and Bayside both say they are conservatives.
Bayside admits to being pro choice.
Bayside calls Cow Hop Ag a liberal because he's a moral man.

/ Charpie 4-13-18
96ags
AG
Cow Hop Ag said:

garc said:

oh noes..

Yeah. I read people here saying a pellet smoker is superior to gas. That is a given. As for being the equal to a wood offset smoker I just don't see how it can.

I have to cook some briskets at my father in law's for a family reunion in a few weeks and he wants me to use his RecTec. I have no idea how that is going to work. I have an Lyfe Time offset that is at least 30 years old and it never fails me.

Load it with Pellets. Set the temp. 18 hours later you eat.
BlueSmoke
"White smoke" isn't what you want. It imparts carbon and bitterness and is a sign you don't have clean-burning wood, it's not pre-heated, or you are using too much wood and choking your coals.

It's than thin, "blue" smoke you want from using just enough wood at just the right temp. This is where the pellet smokers and eggs actually have an advantage (with comparable skill levels). They hold temp easier, but the fuel is pre-selected (assuming you keep your pellets dry) and already to go.

*watch Franklin's videos, and you invariably see him shoveling load after load of coals into the smokers, not wood.

https://smokdupbbq.wordpress.com/2015/09/10/white-smoke-vs-thin-blue-smoke/
Nobody cares. Work Harder
96ags
AG
I know that. That was my point.

An efficient fire is an efficient fire.
Bird Poo
AG
Cow Hop Ag said:

garc said:

oh noes..

Cow Hop,

At 225 and below, the Rec Tec has an "extra smoke" function that will push more pellets into the bowl to create a stronger smoke. You literally just push a button. I use this for the first hour or so but the flavor isn't much different than just letting it go at 225 without the extra smoke function.

GO TO ACADEMY AND BUY OAK PELLETS FOR BRISKET.

I smoke all my briskets at 225, wrap when internal temp hits 160, and pull at 206 internal temp to rest.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Remember, you're still burning wood. Pellet smokers like the rec tec are heated by burning pellets, not electricity.
powerbelly
AG
OneNightW said:

Cow Hop Ag said:

garc said:

oh noes..

Cow Hop,

At 225 and below, the Rec Tec has an "extra smoke" function that will push more pellets into the bowl to create a stronger smoke. You literally just push a button. I use this for the first hour or so but the flavor isn't much different than just letting it go at 225 without the extra smoke function.

GO TO ACADEMY AND BUY OAK PELLETS FOR BRISKET.

I smoke all my briskets at 225, wrap when internal temp hits 160, and pull at 206 internal temp to rest.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Remember, you're still burning wood. Pellet smokers like the rec tec are heated by burning pellets, not electricity.
So it is a constant burning of pellets? The ones I have seen behave more like an oven with periodic injections of smoke.

96ags
AG
I don't know of any pellet smokers that have a heating source other than burning pellets. the CPU controls the auger and fan in order to regulate temperature.
BurrOak
AG
My Traeger is like what he describes. Yes, the pellets are what fuel the heat. But its only a periodic smoke, and not a constant smoke.
Caesar4
AG
Just learned about this Rec Tec BBQ Academy in Georgia. May 3-6. Wow, seems appealing, but since I just heard of it, it won't work out for me.

Get a load of some of the aspects:
  • 20+ hours of instruction
  • 2 concerts
  • All meals provided
  • All alcohol provided
  • Giveaways.

Really wish I could go.
http://www.rectecgrills.com/rec-tec-academy
aggiegold
AG
Yoder or GTFO
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.