Outdoors
Sponsored by

Help w/ Problem Bear

31,010 Views | 209 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SoulSlaveAG2005
Wizard
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Also, OP, does it REALLY matter that the bear is black?Just don't become the next George Zimmerman.
Oogway
Oh, believe me, I get smart and lazy. I have a 16 year old son and we have been drumming that out of him since he was a young cub...

Edit--the lazy, that is, we don't mind the smart as long as he doesn't get too full of himself....
Burnsey
AG
OnlyForNow said:

If the bear got into your house, just kill it.

In Texas, we don't have to wait for an intruder to make it into the house. If it's attempting to get inside your house, then shoot it in the freaking head. Just a thought.
Burnsey
AG
P.U.T.U said:

Alte Schule said:

I bet this is around the Lufkin/Diboll area next to Davy Crockett National Forest right? All kidding aside it would be helpful if you would tell us where you are located. Please tell us your not in Texas.
From a previous thread probably close to White Rock Lake...

Oh, it's that kind of black bear. Well that makes more sense. Still same answer per above.
Wizard
Alte Schule said:

I bet this is around the Lufkin/Diboll area next to Davy Crockett National Forest right? All kidding aside it would be helpful if you would tell us where you are located. Please tell us your not in Texas.

My family's farm butts up to the DCNF, and I did see one with my own two eyes in 2013. Trotting right along highway 94.
TexasAggie_02
AG
If only Yeti made houses....
Mathguy64
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Would tazing a bear be effective?
With what? 220v?
cupofjoe04
AG
ursusguy said:

If they are testing door handles, which is not that unheard of, it's time for it to go. Let the warden know, they may set up a trap. This would likely be a 48 hour bear.....I don't usually say this, but I'd shoot it.
Motion activated lights are pretty ho hum. It might work a couple times from the shock factor, but once they get used to it, they may take a liking to it.

Thanks for the advice ursus. I was hoping you would chime in! That is helpful to know

I have already made reports with the county Sherrie and DOW (Wardens), so that they can respond D appropriately. Also, if I do have to shoot the bear, there is documented history. I called the sherif last night to report. Will be interested to see why the Warden says when i call him today.
cupofjoe04
AG
Sean98 said:

Oogway said:

What do your local authorities suggest? Temporary electric fencing? Punji sticks?
I hope something can convince the bear to move along, otherwise it looks like it will need to be put down for community safety.

Here's the real issue. He can electrify mats, or put up fencing, but it sounds like this bear has learned, people = food, and he doesn't care anymore. That means property damage at a minimum, and pet/people damage is possible. If you are successful at moving him in from your house he's just going to go next door. He needs to die.

Sean- this is exactly what I'a convinced off. Proof = two weeks ago when the dog and I (and a leggo T-Rex) chased it out of my living room, the bear just went up the hill and broke into my buddies house. They woke up to it inside his wife's art studio (only window open).
cupofjoe04
AG
I'm totally with you man, I hate this and sincerely hope the guy will just move on or stop acting a fool. I have 3-5 other bears who I see at least every other week, but they play nicely. There is a mom and cub who frequent my back yard. Only mess with stuff if I leave it out (my fault). Got no issues with them.

This bear has learned a very dangerous habit. He has a ripped hole in his ear, so it is possible he has already be relocated and tagged, and is back again. We had similar issues with the same bear last year. But he is WAY more brazen this year, due to lack of food in forest, and increased competition in neighborhoods (aka, more bears roaming).
cupofjoe04
AG
Wow, never thought of that statement like that. Only reason I clarified "black bear" was so that I didn't get someone reading "brown boar" and ignorantly trying to roast me that there are no grizzlies in SW CO
cupofjoe04
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

My absolute favorite post of the day... month... maybe year! I'm replacing my dead bolt with a Yetti rubber handle, and buying a Yetti hat and shirt! That way when I get mauled, he won't eat my head or torso!
IDAGG
AG
mathguy86 said:

OnlyForNow said:

With what? 220v?
220, 221, whatever it takes....
03_Aggie
gig em 02 said:

You realize that humans are also animals right?

If a person walked into this bears den where it's babies were sleeping and tried to take its food what do you think would happen?

Would you tell the bear "well you shouldn't have moved into a cave so close to humans, you were in their backyard!"

Wasn't there some chick a while back that did this and lived to tell the tale? I think someone even wrote a book about it?
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Whatever you do, don't let the local police catch you hanging around with the bear or you'll end up going to jail:

ursusguy
AG
If they got a pretty substantial reward, heck yes.

In Yosemite, when they were at the peak of their car clouting (breaking into cars), they had select makes and models of cars they were getting into. Honda Accords, Toyota Tercels, and any minivan with a sliding side door had a good chance of getting broke into, whether it had food in it or not.

This is why I am so particular, especially in the western US, about being picky about food/trash management. It only takes ONE time for a bear to get hooked into a bad behavior....if they get food. The western bears live a much more food stressed life than east of the Mississippi (hence the disparity in number of bear attacks/fatalities east vs. west). They are much more likely to create an issue.
Whens lunch
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

My absolute favorite post of the day... month... maybe year! I'm replacing my dead bolt with a Yetti rubber handle, and buying a Yetti hat and shirt! That way when I get mauled, he won't eat my head or torso!
This is all crazy....you'd go broke with the heat on 24/7 to keep from freezing to death
wangus12
AG
Here's your answer

RioAg79
IDAGG said:

mathguy86 said:

OnlyForNow said:

With what? 220v?
220, 221, whatever it takes....
Nice reference.
cupofjoe04
AG
AND THE PLOT THICKENS-

I walked around the house this morning, and noticed bear tracks (same ones as last night, much bigger than my hand) in the fresh mud beside my garage. We have a small door on the side of the house- and there are freshly made scratches and claw marks on the bottom of the frame and door. Thankfully there is a giant craftsman tool chest on the other side, and it is dead bolted (no intention of anyone ever using it). I never even heard this happen, and it is on the same side of the house as my bedroom/bathroom windows. This had to have happened immediately prior to him testing our front door handle, because I walked the perimeter with the dog after that and never saw him. I was back here power washing the house 2 days ago, and this door was not like this.

To be honest, the scratches in the wood don't look like bear claws to me (but I don't know diddly crap about bear claws). The black scratches on the door are exactly the same as the ones on our front door, which I know for a fact were from a bear. I have no idea what else could have made these marks... this door hasn't been opened in a year.

I spoke with a Sheriff this am, who offered a rubber slug to help deter the bear. Sadly, I believe this bear is past deterring, but I'm open to suggestions. There will be no rubber bullets being fired if he is caught trying to come in a window/door again. I'll bounce one off of him if I see him on the property, though, per the suggestion. I am waiting on a call back from the Warden. I'm sure he will help me get this sorted out, we have pretty solid wardens here.

By the way- "here" is Pagosa Springs, CO for those who are asking. You can simmer down, this aint happening in TX. But I would STILL rather deal with this than 2 legged intruders back in Houston or Dallas....
TexasAggie_02
AG
Quote:

By the way- "here" is Pagosa Springs, CO for those who are asking
ursusguy
AG
Oops. Got sidetracked and hit post again
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

By the way- "here" is Pagosa Springs, CO for those who are asking. You can simmer down, this aint happening in TX. But I would STILL rather deal with this than 2 legged intruders back in Houston or Dallas....
My in-laws live off Stevens Circle, in a development on the far west side of town. I took this photo near their house in July 2016. He had a tag in his right ear.

ursusguy
AG
To me, that is a dead bear.

I love bears, obviously, but I don't mess around on stuff like this. I would have a trap next to where that trash is within 2-4 hours.
RedlineAg08
This is past rubber bullets. The warden is flirting with having a beat attack.
CanyonAg77
AG
ursusguy said:

To me, that is a dead bear.

I love bears, obviously, but I don't mess around on stuff like this. I would have a trap next to where that trash is within 2-4 hours.
I think I posted this last year, and that's pretty much what you said then. Can't find the thread. You might not have seen my edit, trash bear had an ear tag. so probably a repeat offender.

Found it interesting that the OP was in the same town....with a bear with a torn ear.
AggieArcher17
AG
If the bear in question's right ear is torn and the OB just successfully identified the exact bear in Pagosa Springs thats messing with the OP........ Holy **** Texags does know stuff.
cupofjoe04
AG
Stephens Circle just about 1/2 mile south of my house, just down the canyon form my front door... No way to know for sure, but he is definitely the same color as our problem bear, and easily in the same size range (though I would guess the bear I'm seeing is fatter with a much bigger caboose- but this pic was a year ago...)

Wow- TexAgs... just wow...
ursusguy
AG
A bear this time of year could be putting on 2 pounds a day.

Dumpster/trash/dog-cat food eating bears, especially males can pack it on FAST. For fun, look up the largest bears ever recorded in Florida, it wasn't that long ago. The biggest body weight black bears come from bears hanging around people......I say this half jokingly, once a black bear hits the 600 lbs mark, your best defence may a fast walk.
ursusguy
AG
Sweet, give me about 5 minutes to figure out your house.

I kid.....sorta
CanyonAg77
AG
Too funny. We may be up there this weekend. Should I bring an AR?
cupofjoe04
AG
600??? I had no idea they could get that obese. thats crazy
cupofjoe04
AG
yeah, and a pocket full of candy. They won't have any problem finding you back in Martinez Canyon!
powerbelly
AG
We need a texags version of this logo

BigPuma
AG
just watch what magazines you bring

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.