Outdoors
Sponsored by

Help w/ Problem Bear

30,925 Views | 209 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SoulSlaveAG2005
cupofjoe04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

I literally had almost the same conversation with my wife after the bear break in a few weeks ago. "Honey, don't worry, they are opportunistic looking for open windows, they won't walk in the front door or anything like that." What the heck do I know?!?!
ursusguy
AG
Not really, this is sort of an odd issue with bears. One like this, that is known, rarely moves on to attack (I am specifically refering to a predatory attack, not defending goodies attack). Absolute property damaging turd head, absolutely. And that behavior tends to escalate. Most actual attacks take place with bears with little to no history. It is usually a bear that includes the area in its homerange, but rarely visits unless something gets its attention (male comes looking for a female during breeding season). Most bears that end up injuring someone have been noted in one way or another typically less than 3 times prior to the incident.

To address the "in their backyard issue". Black bears are adapting quickly to being in or adjacent to relatively urban areas. Heck, the fastest growing population is in New Jersey of all places. After initial development, yep they disappear for a while. But then they start adapting behaviorally, and suddenly they have a preference for the suburbs. Food and water are rarely an issue in urban areas. One major adaptation is the concept around "behavioral habitat access". Simply put, most of the year the sexually mature bears (4+) don't like to be around humans. Sows with cubs spend a big chunk of time trying to keep their cubs from being killed by boars just before breeding season (Julyish). Males 2-4 years old almost sole purpose in life is to not get there a---- kick by the mature boars. Ergo, hang out near the humans. Granted, once the breeding season kicks in, all bets are off. A 3-4 year old male isn't quite ready to move off humans get, but could have some impressive size to them (especially at 4), and has the size to royally mess stuff up.
Oogway
cupofjoe04 said:

600??? I had no idea they could get that obese. thats crazy

Hey! Maybe that's how you get it to move on: fat shaming!

Still amazed at the TexAgs detectives. Y'all are legit!
Spotted Ag
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

If only Yeti made houses....
That would destroy the HVAC business and the block ice retailers would rejoice. You may be on to something here.
Covidians, Communists, CNN, FOX, and all other MSM are enemies of the state and should be treated as such.
CanyonAg77
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

yeah, and a pocket full of candy. They won't have any problem finding you back in Martinez Canyon!
In-laws bought the lot in about 1980 because the back of their lot was Martinez Canyon. Was one of the first few houses out that way. Lot fewer houses and a lot less timber back then. Was nothing man made behind them for decades, but someone, just in the past year, started building on the ridge between them and the canyon.

The Google Maps link below shows where I took the photo of the bear in the trash. The trash pile was in the middle of the photo, right where Stevens Circle makes a 90 from west to north. I think the trash belonged to the house to the south, not the house with purple roof to the west. Basically, they put their trash out the day before trash pickup, which is a big no-no.

Bear photo spot
cupofjoe04
AG
Go directly north from there, where Martinez splits with Dutton Canyon. We are in the neighborhood that is between those 2 canyons. Not very far at all. There is a really good national forest access to a nice mountain bike trail pretty close to Stevens Circle that I have used before.
AggieChemist
AG
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I knew I was missing out on this thread
Martin Q. Blank
Go to a bear self defense class.
v
CanyonAg77
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

Go directly north from there, where Martinez splits with Dutton Canyon. We are in the neighborhood that is between those 2 canyons. Not very far at all. There is a really good national forest access to a nice mountain bike trail pretty close to Stevens Circle that I have used before.
Looks like a cool neighborhood. Haven't been to that part of town, though I have flown into the airprt a time or two...years ago.
ursusguy
AG
And to take things a slight different direction....I know a first for the OB (putting on my other hat).....and please don't take offence. Bears certainly get folks attention, but man I hope you have a good fire defensable space around your house. I just eyeballed that neighborhood, and from a fire standpoint, several of the houses literally scare the craps out of me. I can see the ladder fuel running straight from the canyon, to right under the eves of the houses......the fire risk rating and urban interface risk rating is really high for that neighborhood (yes, I looked up the fire risk modeling).

cupofjoe04
AG
Definitely was something I had to learn about when we moved here. Have always had USAA insurance, and they won't even insure a house here! Had to get a StateFarm rep to come inspect our home for fire mitigation before they would issue a policy. So, the learning curve was quick!

We don't have any large trees on our property near the house, and have cut the ladder fuel on every tree we do have. Same with our neighbors, helped them do a ton of clearing last summer. The home next to ours is a double lot (with the empty lot between our homes) and they are part time residents. That lot hasn't been kept and has lots of dead stuff on the ground. I am really hoping to talk to the owner about it next time I see him in town. I'm willing to lend a hand clearing all the dead branches and downfall. There is a greenbelt behind our house, and most of the neighbors try and keep that pretty clear as well. Anything else we should be doing???
dubi
ursusguy
AG
Honestly, sounds like y'all are making a good start. It may look different now, but the Google image from June 2016 concerned me quite a bit. The houses on the west side that are real close to the drop off get my attention. There are several that are sitting right on top of what could effectively be a box canyon. If a fire starts a run from the south or west, they are screwed. That point on the south end of the subdivision bugs me. It has one point of ingress and egress, and sits right at a narrow point between the canyons.

Just make sure your family has discussed a fire evacuation plan ahead of time. If you are in remotely droughtlike conditions, and officials start hinting at an evacuation, just go. From a fire standpoint that neighborhood could be BAD.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
There are some sub-divisions around Canyon Lake that will give anyone who has scene a cedar break burn, nightmares.

Not sure how it ever got approved.

If it's just grass, a home sprinkler system can be rather effective at stopping it.
Aggie Vet
AG
I have a condo off of Davis Cup, behind the City Market in Pagosa. 4 years ago they finally set posts and put chains across the front of the dumpsters in the complex. Until, then the bears would push the dumpsters across the parking lot trying to tip them over almost nightly to feed. After that, we don't see any bears around the condo.
Fairview
AG
You definitely need to put up a camera and see what you catch. I live north of you in the Vail area and knew we had wildlife in the yard often but once I put up camera's I was shocked at how much wildlife moves through my yard every night.

This week every night is a trio mule buck's hanging out and eating my bushes. Before that it was a wolverine. That asshat did some damage to my yard.
ursusguy
AG
Might not want to mention the wolverine. They are considered extripated in Colorado. They went from 1919 to 2009 between confirmations.
Hoss
AG
chiken said:

I get that human lives are more important, but I hate that a bear is going most likely die from this.

You're in HIS backyard. :/

If I read correctly, the bear was in HIS backyard. And on his porch. And front yard. And living room. I think you got it backwards.
La Fours
AG
I bet the NextDoor posts about the bear make for some good entertainment.
ursusguy
AG
Looks like some awesome lion country.
CanyonAg77
AG
ursusguy said:

Might not want to mention the wolverine. They are considered extripated in Colorado. They went from 1919 to 2009 between confirmations.
Quote:

In the early days of World War III, guerrillas - mostly children - placed the names of their lost upon this rock. They fought here alone and gave up their lives, so that this nation shall not perish from the earth.
Fairview
AG
ursusguy said:

Crap. I meant badger. I'm an idiot.
ursusguy
AG
That makes sense
Ignatius_of_Silesia
Wizard said:

Also, OP, does it REALLY matter that the bear is black?Just don't become the next George Zimmerman.

Someone that's a Wizard giving this advice.
cupofjoe04
AG
ursusguy said:

yessir. We have plenty of deer, and lots of them are pretty dull neighborhood bums. You do the math.
This would scare the CRAP out of people if I told them where I really took this pic...
These ghosts bother me WAY more than any bear.

IDAGG
AG
Fairview said:

ursusguy said:

Crap. I meant badger. I'm an idiot.
We have gophers from time to time. During one outbreak a badger found them. It looked like someone rototilled part of my yard. And then the bastage dug a den to spend the night. Luckily, he left of his own accord. They can dig that is for sure.
Brush Country
La Fours
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

ursusguy said:

yessir. We have plenty of deer, and lots of them are pretty dull neighborhood bums. You do the math.
This would scare the CRAP out of people if I told them where I really took this pic...
These ghosts bother me WAY more than any bear.

You should use that image in a "Found cat" post on Nextdoor. "Very skidish cat found while hiking in the forest this afternoon. Followed me home, but wouldn't let me pet it. I did convince it to follow me home using some of my yorkie's treats I had in my pocket. It's currently in my backyard as I try to locate its home. Seems to play ok with dogs."
LilSebastian13
AG
Please do this and report back.
bkf0005
AG
We were at Lake Tahoe a couple of weeks ago. The trash bin has a square L shaped key to lock. We forgot to remove the key one night after locking it and a bear was able to unlock and drag the trash out. Woke up to it going to town on the peanut butter container, watched it from the deck, nice looking bear. Took a few pics but don't have a way to upload. Drove around after it left and saw what ended up being a second bear - thought it was the same at first. Apparently its a pretty regular occurrence in that neighborhood, especially since us foreigners can't properly operate the trash bins
cupofjoe04
AG
I would, but I'm afraid some crazy cat lady would show up at my door with tinker bell and pink collar.

Funny thing is, we USED to have many stray cats in this neighborhood. Now there is pretty much just 1 house cat that runs around. No one ever seems to think too hard about what happened to all those cats...

When we first moved in, cats would hide under our deck (because the house was unoccupied for a year). The cats didn't seem to relocate after we moved in. One morning after a rain, I noticed some tracks in the mud around our deck. Like big dog tracks, but with no claws and with more lobes on the back. I haven't seen a stray cat under our deck since...
Potlicker
AG
This thread is great! Hopefully you'll be able to get the bear situation resolved quickly.. I know plenty of folks on here who wouldn't be scared if you told us where you took that pic of the aoudad.. So, where did you take it?? Looks like a pretty damn close and unplanned encounter!
ursusguy
AG
On the internet now, so I'm pretty certain it will be somewhere in Collin County within two years.
Thunder18
AG
My Dad and step-inlaws all have condos up in Pagosa Springs...great little town. I haven't seen any bears up there yet, but I know they frequently visit their condos trying to get into the dumpsters

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.