Outdoors
Sponsored by

Help w/ Problem Bear

30,929 Views | 209 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SoulSlaveAG2005
SteveBott
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OP any update on talking to the GW?
AggiePetro07
AG
ursusguy said:

On the internet now, so I'm pretty certain it will be somewhere in Collin County within two years.
I'm pretty certain it will be my wife showing me the neighborhood facebook updates.
cupofjoe04
AG
I made report w/ the sheriff's office the night of the incident. Apparently it got some attention. Today I have been called by a sheriff, a game warden, as well as the regional DOW office. Good to see they take things like this seriously!

The local warden is going to consult with another warden (who lives a few streets up from me, but works a different district than where we live), and formulate a plan. I wouldn't be surprised if they asked to trap him on my place.

I had more bear tracks in the front yard and beside the garage this morning. But some of these looked substantially smaller- so my guess would be that it was the black sow and her 2nd year cub (who I don't really mind being around, because they stick to themselves and behave for the most part). I did have to "educate" the youngling earlier this summer with a rock- he decided it would be OK to climb over my fence with me standing right there. He is much more wary of people since then, pretty much runs away when people are there.
ursusguy
AG
Good to here.

My general practice was at point last seen. Be forewarned, your sow with cubs may throw a bit of of a link in this issue. I have seen a yearling inadvertently get in at trap, and had the big boar (intended target) show up and think tje greatest thing in the world was to pound the craps out of the trap. And then happily ignore the trap for several days.....so I brought in a different trap that looked different, and popped him in about 6 hours.
cupofjoe04
AG
Just got off the phone with our local warden-

He knows the bear we are having issues with. Has been trying to trap him for weeks, but every time he puts the trap in one place, the bear pops up in another place. I asked him where he has tried trapping him, he said Lake Forest and STEVENS CIRCLE!!! He has been getting calls on this same bear in Stevens Circle, and tried trapping him there the very same night we got hit...

I'm gonna put some game cameras up in the yard and try to help get a pattern on this guy so we can take care of him.
cupofjoe04
AG
The warden said the exact same thing! He didn't want to just put a trap up, and get a different bear. Because then he has to put a tag in it's ear, and that means it is 1/2 way to being euthanized.

I'm am going to do my best to help them pattern this big boar, so we can specifically target him.
CanyonAg77
AG
It seems even more likely it's the same blasted bear as 2016. Will be on the alert
JB
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

Go directly north from there, where Martinez splits with Dutton Canyon. We are in the neighborhood that is between those 2 canyons. Not very far at all. There is a really good national forest access to a nice mountain bike trail pretty close to Stevens Circle that I have used before.
Stayed at a house on Lake Pagosa, which looks to be pretty close to you, just a week ago while on our way up to Ouray. Neighbors came and told us about several bears they had recently seen.
ursusguy
AG
Yeah, I know the talking points of nuisance bears....I've trained quite a few on bear biology amd trapping (and talked a number to TPWD personnel through it too). It truly sucks when you trap a non-target bear, especially one you have never seen before. The odd thing is most will become trap shy (males typically get really trap shy), and every once in a blue moon you will get one that is trap happy. Some guys like using what is attracting them, aka random trash. I never liked this approach near residential areas, because you never know who might be trap happy. New Mexico was 3 strikes, and I had one female that never did anything wrong (and was rarely more than 100 yards from people) but if you set a trap in the area it was almost a sure thing you would have her within 6 hours (really likely within 2). It was a borderline game with her. She would just be sitting there, bait bag completely gone, just waiting on us. We'll juat say we had an agreement with NMGF when it came to her. She had been a study bear, and other than liking traps, never caused a problem.

I've trapped more than I care to admit. I say this because at the time, I thought it was cool as hell. I was good at catching them, and not going to lie, ladies thought going to help release them was pretty cool (not that it helped me all that much, not going to lie). In the end, the bears I dealt with through aversive conditioning worked out much better than those I relocated. But I could take steps that I can not reasonably ask John Doe Citizen to do. At Philmont, a "Happy Chasing Party" (pretty much what it sounds like) was often called for. Get a couple guys, and literally chase them around for awhile. If that failed more than 2-3 times. I'd come in and hang around for awhile. If I could get close enough to spray them, I did. As mentioned before, I never had to spray one twice. Uhhh, sling shots work well for distance work (remember, I did all my bear work with now firearms). Some times we'd use my supervisors border collies to harass them (granted, this was usually to tree them to get tranquilized or "get a shot of 270" (which amusingly enough a lot of staff thought was a medicine). All of which, I can't really ask standard public to do.....but you can certainly use the ideas ;-)

Bluntly, sounds like you have what I like to refer to as a Jack a-- bear. Likely he's been trapped before, or seen a bear he is close to in some manner (remember, they are pretty smart), and if all the warden has is one type of trap, you may be getting the bear version of the middle finger. In my case, I had three different culvert or box traps to try my luck with. Simply changing from a OLD yellow barrel with a drop door, to a wire box with a spring loaded door did the trick. I had one JA male that was trap happy that figured out that if he belly crawled in, the door would drop on his back legs, he could snag the bait bag and simply back out (solution--jerry rig secondary arm with a cactus pad that swung down a split second behind the door drop).....Honestly, best thing with a JA bear was high energy, loud, with good agility that could scare them up the tree to be shot (aka, not an old lab).
cupofjoe04
AG
I laughed way harder at parts of that post that I should have...

Thanks for sharing the experience and advice. Definitely gives me some options to chew on if needed.

Here is step #1 that I installed tonight. A bear board, or "Unwelcome mat". I'm going to widen it a little bit on both sides, I just need to get some more screws. Paint and sign are warning for people (we often get packages delivered at 10:00pm). I'm going to put a more robust "kick board" next to the door, just incase someone inside forgets its there early in the am.

giddings_ag_06
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

I laughed way harder at parts of that post that I should have...

Thanks for sharing the experience and advice. Definitely gives me some options to chew on if needed.

Here is step #1 that I installed tonight. A bear board, or "Unwelcome mat". I'm going to widen it a little bit on both sides, I just need to get some more screws. Paint and sign are warning for people (we often get packages delivered at 10:00pm). I'm going to put a more robust "kick board" next to the door, just incase someone inside forgets its there early in the am.

Watchful Ag
AG
You better have your game camera on video mode!

(with audio!)
ursusguy
AG
That's a good start.

Just don't have one too many and decide to go pee off the porch.
cupofjoe04
AG
ursusguy said:

That's a good start.

I can only promise you that one of those two things won't happen...
SabineAg
AG
Man this is exciting! Please keep the updates coming!
PANHANDLE10
cupofjoe?? Did you make it through the night? Did the bear meet your doormat?!? Hello?? We need answers.
Oogway
Yeah, I'm worried his bear is smart enough to figure out how to do a 'ring-n-run' in the middle of the night.
AgEng06
AG
That's... not how that was referred to where I grew up...
Oogway
Yeah, I heard it called by other names, but I figured this is the more discreet terminology.
Sean98
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

ursusguy said:

That's a good start.

I can only promise you that one of those two things won't happen...
Which one? Because one usually means the other WILL happen!
07fta07
AG
That bear seems smart enough to move the mats behind the car and probably now has him trapped in the car in the driveway with 4 flats.
Bobcat-Ag
OP, we need an update. I can't work today without knowing what has happened. Due to this, I am staging a protest. I will refuse to work until there is an update.
dubi
AG
Next up? Bear test drive!
cupofjoe04
AG
Hello,

My name is Bearon. I am posting on behalf of OP. Sadly, he is no longer with us, due to... unforeseen events. In lieu of flowers, the family is requesting jars of honey and large hunks of meat. You can deliver them to OP's house in person. The front door is open, just set them inside and I will take care of them. Ignore the lumpy bear skin rug on the floor. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Bearon

P.S.- remember, only you can prevent forest fires.

in real news- no more activity this week, but today was trash pickup. So that usually means he will cruise through the neighborhood sometime in the next 3 nights. I'm going back into the wildness for a night, so I might miss the fun. I'm hoping the trail cameras pick something up, so I can help the wardens pattern this bear and we can take care of the issue. Hopefully I will have an update this weekend... maybe a picture of a bear too. Hopefully not a dead one... but you never know.
ratfacemcdougal
dont pay for a laughie face, so Bearon, you get a blue parachute
CanyonAg77
AG
Day 1: Arrive Pagosa Springs. Walk patrol of in-laws' neighborhood. No bear sighted, just in-laws' little yappy dog. Have not yet seen need to draw concealed weapon on any of the above, though LYD is leading candidate at present.
CanyonAg77
AG

Hmmmn. Can't get photo to work

Off the in laws deck this morning. Young guy, retreated with yelling and rocks. Don't think he's the OP's problem child
ellebee
Did you use the yappy dog as bait?
GinaLinetti
AG
I love this thread so much <3 thanks for letting us in on Bearmaggedon 2017
cupofjoe04
AG
Just returned from a rainy camping trip way back in the wilderness. I think that lore of my feud with the local bear has spread, and he is recruiting cousins to harass me everywhere I go. #Bearmageddon2017 continues

I was sleeping in a Tentsile tent with a buddy (basically a 1/2 tent 1/2 hammock, that suspends in the air). I woke up at about 12:30 to sound of something moving through our camp- nothing new or surprising. I made a little noise, and it moved off. No big deal, went back to sleep.

I awoke a little while later because the tent was bouncing up and down, and yet the other guy in the tent wasn't moving at all. I could look out between the rain fly and tent floor and see a cub scratching his back on the ratchet strap holding our tent up! My head was no more than 3 feet away, but he had no idea we were in there I think. Because when I yelled "HEY, STOP THAT!!!" I don't know if the cub or my buddy jumped higher. I'm pretty sure they both needed to change pants.

Problem was, the cub just scurried up a nearby tree. We can hear momma come over to investigate, but she doesn't get too close, just circles us snorting and sniffing around. I rolled the rain fly open (so I could see & shoot if needed) and turned my flashlight on her, which she did not appreciate. My buddy and I both have pistols trained on her, as she slowly retreated, popping her jaws. She moved into the brush and made some weird noise I have never heard before, I'm assuming calling her cub, because it immediately and clumsily climbed/fell down the tree and ran over to her..

Thankfully the wife had no bear issues at home (that she was aware of) while I was away. We are heading back to TX for a week, so I've got a game camera out watching the front of the house. Will be interesting to see what it picks up- hopefully nothing.

My only question is- If I have a problem with a bear in TX on our trip, does this become a federal case as it is crossing state lines?
cupofjoe04
AG
dubi said:

Next up? Bear test drive!
I remember seeing this in the local paper or something. If I remember correctly, I think it happened in Durango, which isn't too far away from us. It is a CRAZY year for bears. Earlier in the year, a bear broke INTO the Durango jail... ha ha
OnlyForNow
AG
Anybody know anything about Meeker, CO? I might have a chance to do some field work there...
ursusguy
AG
Just an fyi, ~50% of all western mountain campsites are visted by bears every night. Once the bear knows you are aware of it, it's not likely anything is going to happen.....if something was going to happen, you wouldn't know it ahead of time. Make you feel better.

Yeah, there are a lot of bears in the Meeker area.
OnlyForNow
AG
Awesome. Sounds like I'll be having fried chicken... and I might just leave it out.

(Kidding. I'm not camping while I'm working) but you are damn sure I'll fish some!
ursusguy
AG
The Trapper Lake, and the lakes up top in the Flat Tops are supposed to be pretty awesome. There are some small lakes to the south of Trapper Lake that our packers specifically pointed out that they guide for trout on. If you draw a line between Trapper Lake and Star Lake (on top), the lakes and streams in between are supposed to be pretty good.

This would be 40-45 miles east of Meeker. The set up at Trapper Lake Lodge is basic but pretty nice, and you can't beat tue setting.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.