Outdoors
Sponsored by

2017 Hurricane Season

662,868 Views | 3704 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Swarely
TXAG14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shouldn't be an issue. I'll give you some cash to bring me back a 6-pack of Piton beer. Wife and I honeymooned there a couple of years ago.
dave99ag
AG
Scriffer said:

Ok so here's a question born out of ignorance. How far below the ocean surface do the effects of a storm like this reach? I would guess not terribly far, but I really have no idea
Underwater lair?

Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Swarely said:

I didn't realize this, but apparently Richard Branson is riding out the storm in his wine cellar on Necker Island. The Eye passed directly over it. The island is only like 3,000 ft wide at its widest.
Dude better have some hellacious sump pumps in that cellar on an island.
aggiedata
AG
Goodness
*edit not Irma but wow. A tornado did this.
saltydog13
AG
People driving around like nothing's going on
Charpie
AG
90 percent of Barbuda is destroyed
Buck Compton
AG
saltydog09 said:

People driving around like nothing's going on
Not just that, the dude is ****ing standing there.... Glass storefront and all. insane
Joe West is a fat piece of **** and a waste of oxygen.
AgEng06
AG
Read the comments. That's fake news...
RC_57
AG
Not a Irma video, but of a tornado a year or so ago
Aggie Vet
AG

Looks like most of the bareboat rental fleet in BVI is gone
The Fife
Update on the homefront... still waiting to see what's supposed to happen. It's too early at this point to really know what kind of path to expect in the area. Or the intensity, both of those things are just all over the place. It also complicates hypothetical plans to GTFO, you could be just trading one disaster for another. Aiken was the place to be last time around for example, but this time a lot of models show landfall followed by a trip up the Savannah River. That would turn this safe area into a terrible place to be. Same for Charlotte, and it wouldn't take a lot of movement to cause problems in Raleigh either. Boarding up is another thing that's a big fat 'maybe.'

I'd rather be back in central TX. We've had floods (affected areas largely predictable) and the occasional bad tornado outbreak like the one in Jarrell but that sort of thing was more limited in scope with a lot less time spent wondering what, if anything was going to happen. It's a lot easier to deal with that than wondering for a week whether Monday will be doomsday or not.
aggiedata
AG
RC_57 said:

Not a Irma video, but of a tornado a year or so ago

Mark Read is dead to me. I was bamboozled.
BowSowy
AG
The Fife said:

Update on the homefront... still waiting to see what's supposed to happen. It's too early at this point to really know what kind of path to expect in the area. Or the intensity, both of those things are just all over the place. It also complicates hypothetical plans to GTFO, you could be just trading one disaster for another. Aiken was the place to be last time around for example, but this time a lot of models show landfall followed by a trip up the Savannah River. That would turn this safe area into a terrible place to be. Same for Charlotte, and it wouldn't take a lot of movement to cause problems in Raleigh either. Boarding up is another thing that's a big fat 'maybe.'

I'd rather be back in central TX. We've had floods (affected areas largely predictable) and the occasional bad tornado outbreak like the one in Jarrell but that sort of thing was more limited in scope with a lot less time spent wondering what, if anything was going to happen. It's a lot easier to deal with that than wondering for a week whether Monday will be doomsday or not.
Stay safe and stay sane, man. It's a stressful time but try your best to make the best decision for your family with a clear and level head.
The Fife
Typing while listening to others who work here speculate wildly and incorrectly from across the aisle...

I'm waiting until late Friday to make any decisions, at more than 3 days out it's still a crapshoot. Even where to go is just too unclear unless you pull far enough west to at least reach Atlanta (5 hours w/o traffic). There aren't any obvious places to go since my nearest family lives in Tyler and there would be a 25lb dog coming along with.

Based on available information I'm still in the 'stay' camp since local effects are still looking like gusts in the mid-70s. Guess I'll peek at charts again around lunchtime when they all swap around again.
Post removed:
by user
SoTheySay
S
Haven't followed as closely as I did with Harvey. Out of town, work conference, etc. But question

If your 75-year-old in-laws recently moved to a condo in Fort Walton Beach how would you feel about them staying? Or would you encourage them to leave now?
RGV AG
AG
I am in North Eastern Haiti right now, about 30 miles from the coast. It just started raining, a strong band of showers came through. This thing is gonna run north of Haiti so it is not a big deal here I think unless it takes a straight west course for a spell.

From what I have seen of Haiti, God help this country if it is ever hit by a large strong storm. Wow it will be bad. One of the things they do in Haiti is prior to a storm arriving they cut power in order to prevent electrocutions and fires, supposedly it takes a few days to come back on assuming no major damage the rickety infrastructure, as they check it as best they can. I was talking, or trying to, to a Haitian lineman and he was explaining all of this. To see the conditions and tool, or lack thereof, that he works in and with is pretty amazing.

I hope this thing avoids Florida, it will be a big mess if it doesn't.
The Fife
third coast.. said:

Damn what time does your work day start
I'm at my desk at 5:30, but on the upside I go home at 2 so there's that at least.

SoTheySay - I'd tell them to stay. The action is much more likely to be on the other side of Florida from where they are and stay that way.
AggieAces06
AG
They should be fine. They are in the panhandle and not the direct path.

My grandparents live in Ft Walton Beach for years and rode out many hurricanes.
VaultingChemist
AG
Quote:

I have lived in "fill in the blank" for years and rode out many hurricanes.
Famous last words of people who didn't survive.
Swarely

Latest euro has Jose looping back
Post removed:
by user
Swarely
Possibly. It's 10 days out though, so a lot could change.
Post removed:
by user
AggieAces06
AG
Sometimes. But Ft. Walton isn't even close to the path of this one. They might get rain and wind from outer bands.

Just my opinion, but I don't live there... so....
Aggies Revenge
AG
third coast.. said:

so those poor Caribbean folks are gonna get throttled twice?!?!?!
Jose, just like a tequila. A wild night followed by waking up to finding all your **** destroyed.
VaultingChemist
AG
They have plenty of time to leave Fort Walton if Irma does not turn to the north.

For the possibility that Irma and Jose might hit the same areas:

Quote:

Twenty-three people are known to have stayed in the Richelieu Manor Apartments in Pass Christian, Mississippi during hurricane Camille, eight of whom died.

The site of the Richelieu Apartments, the corner of Henderson Avenue and US 90 in Pass Christian later became a shopping center. Coincidentally, it was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina.
bone.
AG
Ok, so now that the path looks to be headed up the Atlantic side of FL, the wife and kids are headed to Tallahassee in a caravan with some family friends. That should be far enough so that municipal utilities are relatively unaffected by the storm. In the event Irma starts heading that way, the caravan will head up towards Kentucky.

I'm staying behind to ride out the storm on that same family's place right outside of Gainesville. This is primarily to help with any work that may be needed to keep their livestock contained post-hurricane. We're well-stocked with water and fuel, hopefully we won't be needing it.
Charpie
AG
You sure about that? Looks to be a cat 2 storm by the time it makes it up there.
Rockdoc
AG
The Turks and Caicos are predicted a 15 to 20' surge. The island has a max elevation of about 15'. My goodness what are those people gonna do? Nowhere to go.
VaultingChemist
AG
Rockdoc said:

The Turks and Caicos are predicted a 15 to 20' surge. The island has a max elevation of about 15'. My goodness what are those people gonna do? Nowhere to go.
Wave heights are 30' on top of the surge. I don't think anything will survive that.
Swarely
Wiki says that the highest point on the islands are the Blue Hills at 161'
Rockdoc
AG
Swarely said:

Wiki says that the highest point on the islands are the Blue Hills at 161'

Yes but most of the population and inhabitable areas are 15' or lower. As per the weather channel.
Swarely
Yea, looking at this map seems like they're pretty screwed. The only good thing is that the hills are to the east so they might offer some blocking for the low lying areas to the west maybe?

http://en-gb.topographic-map.com/places/Providenciales-131977/
canagian
AG
STS -- we live in FWB and had it not been for travel plans already in the works (for reasons other than Irma) we would definitely have stayed. As it is, we are not even planning to close our hurricane shutters while gone -- figure the threat of a break-in to our condo with closed shutters screaming "they're not here!" would be much higher than any threat from Irma.

Plus as a previous poster indicated, lots of time to evacuate from the far NW corner of FL if the forecasts change and push Irma further to the west -- but she would have to move several hundred miles at this stage.
First Page Last Page
Page 97 of 106

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.