Outdoors
Sponsored by

2017 Hurricane Season

662,856 Views | 3704 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Swarely
Centerpole90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It appears so vs. what we saw earlier today.
hurricanejake02
AG
Any thoughts on #13? Mom and Dad are debating not leaving for a Belize vacation tomorrow... I don't see it being an issue, do y'all?
RGV AG
AG
Nahh, will fly right over it and it shouldn't track South East and over the Yucatan, and if it does probably won't be anything more than lots of rain.
carpe vinum
AG
https://i.imgur.com/uReoXE6.gif
Phat32
AG
NOAA buoy there is reporting insane winds.

T&P for all those folks.
Breggy Popup
AG
Anemometer on Barbuda broke at 118 sustained 154 gust.

Edit: Nvm it came back

RickSawyer
AG
Dad's blue water cruising sailboat is up on the hard in St. Martin. We have sailed her everywhere since I was a child. It's where I learned my love of the ocean, how to flyfish, surf, sail, be a team member, a leader. She is a part of our family. Last July I was finally able to introduce my two children to her and they too fell in love.

She has survived quite a few hurricanes, countless tropical storms, hard agrounds on reefs that knocked holes into the hull, offshore boardings by the Mexican Navy, Howler Monkeys in her rigging etc...

I am not sure how she'll survive Irma.

Sorry for the thread hijack, back to your regularly scheduled hurricane chat.

-Rick

AgsMnn
AG
Now start a thread regarding the stories behind a few of those adventures.

Howler monkeys and the navy have got my curiosity going.
VaultingChemist
AG
Barbuda took a direct hit,

Wave heights of 45 ft.

mazzag
AG
Good grief

mazzag
AG
This one makes 11.

MrJonMan
AG
VaultingChemist said:

Barbuda took a direct hit,

Wave heights of 45 ft.

Wife and I were looking last night, we honeymooned in Antigua and had recently been taking about a return trip.....if there is anything left
MrJonMan
AG
Looks like Barbuda took the more direct hit, Antigua seems to have gotten lucky
AggieGunslinger
AG
We had the same conversation. Next month would be 10yrs and earlier this summer we had looked at going back to Antigua. Going to be a lot of rebuilding.
Cromagnum
AG
TXAG14
p_bubel

Yeah, no thanks.
Post removed:
by user
htxag09
AG
Where dafuq is he planning on landing?
The Wonderer
AG
htxag09 said:

The water if he doesn't turn west.
AggieT
AG
"We will be landing shortly. The weather on the ground is warm and... WTF?"
agwrangler2001
AG
Here is video from that Delta flight to San Juan

p_bubel

They're on the ground, apparently.

Jalopnik
TKEAg04
AG
htxag09 said:

Airline Pilot: *** PSHHH *** Uhhhhhh yeah good afternoon ladies and gentlemen... Uhhhhh we're making our final descent into San Juan.... Uhhhh the weather outside might be a little wet... winds out of the north at a blustery 185 miles per hour..... Uhhhh might also need an umbrella and I'm not talking about the kind you put in your cocktails..... Anyways..... uhhhh thank's for flying Delta and we hope to see you back again soon.... *** PSSSHH ***
CharlieBrown17
AG
That had to have been one hell of a ride...
carpe vinum
AG
There are a lot of planes in the air around and above Irma.
Landing however must have been harrowing.
https://i.imgur.com/uReoXE6.gif
ellebee
TXAG14 said:

"Oh hey you left your trunk open. We're supposed to get rain so might want to close it."
The Wonderer
AG
TKEAg04 said:

htxag09 said:

Airline Pilot: *** PSHHH *** Uhhhhhh yeah good afternoon ladies and gentlemen... Uhhhhh we're making our final descent into San Juan.... Uhhhh the weather outside might be a little wet... winds out of the north at a blustery 185 miles per hour..... Uhhhh might also need an umbrella and I'm not talking about the kind you put in your cocktails..... Anyways..... uhhhh thank's for flying Delta and we hope to see you back again soon.... *** PSSSHH ***
CrawfordAg
AG
Honeymoon Nov 1st in St Lucia, it appears the storm tracked north of the island. Do you think it was close enough to cause any significant damage?
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Would be shocked if St Lucia received much damage, if at all. We honeymooned last year in Antigua and we received word this morning that the resort we stayed got some water from the storm surge, but other than that are fine. Antigua is ~200 mi north of St Lucia.
AggieAces06
AG
Doubt they would get any damage. They are so far south they usually only get a little wind and rain. We honeymooned there 9 years ago while Ike passed by and hit Houston.

Have fun! It's beautiful!
Scriffer
AG
Ok so here's a question born out of ignorance. How far below the ocean surface do the effects of a storm like this reach? I would guess not terribly far, but I really have no idea
Buck Compton
AG
Scriffer said:

Ok so here's a question born out of ignorance. How far below the ocean surface do the effects of a storm like this reach? I would guess not terribly far, but I really have no idea
Depends on the wavelength of the surface waves. A 30 foot tall surface wave with a wavelength of ~200 feet or so would be completely unnoticed by anything about 100 feet down. There are some cool reddit posts on things like this (looked it up last week because I was also curious).

Hurricanes can wreck the shallows and disturb quite a bit in non-deepwater situations.
Joe West is a fat piece of **** and a waste of oxygen.
Swarely
I didn't realize this, but apparently Richard Branson is riding out the storm in his wine cellar on Necker Island. The Eye passed directly over it. The island is only like 3,000 ft wide at its widest.
Swarely
Her: come over
Him: but there's a hurricane
Her: my parents aren't home
Him:

p_bubel said:

First Page Last Page
Page 96 of 106

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.