Outdoors
Sponsored by

2017 Hurricane Season

665,077 Views | 3704 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Swarely
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Swarely said:

Wiki says that the highest point on the islands are the Blue Hills at 161'

Winds are a hell of a lot faster at higher elevation.
Swarely
Swarely
Cromagnum said:

Swarely said:

Wiki says that the highest point on the islands are the Blue Hills at 161'

Winds are a hell of a lot faster at higher elevation.

Yea, I get that. But we were talking about storm surges.
SoTheySay
S
Thank you (and others) for your responses!

My only concern is that if they do decide to leave they will choose to too late. Or they stay and haven't prepared in any way. But my in laws eat like birds so they'll be fine.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Swarely said:

So whatever is left of Barbuda will now be pummeled to oblivion.
AgLA06
AG
VaultingChemist said:

They have plenty of time to leave Fort Walton if Irma does not turn to the north.

For the possibility that Irma and Jose might hit the same areas:

Quote:

Twenty-three people are known to have stayed in the Richelieu Manor Apartments in Pass Christian, Mississippi during hurricane Camille, eight of whom died.

The site of the Richelieu Apartments, the corner of Henderson Avenue and US 90 in Pass Christian later became a shopping center. Coincidentally, it was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina.

I'm very familiar with that site and others nearby. What they doesn't tell you is that site is practically on the sand. It would be like a condo on the sea wall in Galveston (without the sea wall) taking a CAT 5 in the shorts. Hell, that might have been the site that had the boats from the marina come crashing through, I can't remember for certain.

I'm not saying you shouldn't fear what a storm can do in these situations, but that site was essentially ground zero for that storm. Bay St. Luis looked a like a bomb had been dropped on it.
bone.
AG
Sure about what?
Rockdoc
AG
I wonder if mr Branson has come out of his wine cellar on Necker Island yet. He may look around and go back down and start drinking all that wine.
carpe vinum
AG
Rockdoc said:

I wonder if mr Branson has come out of his wine cellar on Necker Island yet. He may look around and go back down and start drinking all that wine.
I saw a report that all were fine, but the house was uninhabitable.
https://i.imgur.com/uReoXE6.gif
Swarely
That's Sir Branson to you commoner.
Rockdoc
AG
Ah yes. My bad.
Ag_SGT
AG
BoneAg said:

Ok, so now that the path looks to be headed up the Atlantic side of FL, the wife and kids are headed to Tallahassee in a caravan with some family friends. That should be far enough so that municipal utilities are relatively unaffected by the storm. In the event Irma starts heading that way, the caravan will head up towards Kentucky.

I'm staying behind to ride out the storm on that same family's place right outside of Gainesville. This is primarily to help with any work that may be needed to keep their livestock contained post-hurricane. We're well-stocked with water and fuel, hopefully we won't be needing it.
I live in Gainesville too, keeping my fingers crossed that it runs up the east coast. If it stays out there, I'm staying but if I see that thing drifting towards running up the center of the state, I'm getting out of here.
The Collective
AG
12z Euro seems to be a problem...
bmfvet
AG
A large portion of Providenciales is higher than 50 feet. I'm part of what is best described as a time share vet clinic there. The clinic and house are on the leeward side closer to the top. The vet that is there now is hunkering down in the clinic along with the gardener's family. A few neighbors as well. They were trying to get our manager and her husband to stay there too, but I don't know if they convinced them.

North, South, and Middle Caicos are pretty low. Hopefully they got most of the people off those islands. I'm not too familiar with Grand Turks terrain.

I'll let everyone know when we hear back from them.
carpe vinum
AG
https://i.imgur.com/uReoXE6.gif
The Collective
AG
Thx for linking image. That would be a devastating scenario.
bone.
AG
yeah, i was hoping that the track will stay east. a coworker just showed me the Euro model carpe posted above, that's a bit worrisome.

i recall some previous posts saying the Euro model may not be the best for Irma, something about the initial conditions in the model. for those in the know, is that the case?
CharlieBrown17
AG
bjork said:

r/TropicalWeather has good commentary on the GFS. It's apparently broken and overshoots intensity. So, grain-of-salt and that jazz.

I only remember seeing that GFS wasnt as accurate on this thread
Swarely
carpe vinum said:

Cotdam

Swarely
Was supposed to be this emoji
BigPuma
Phat32
AG
Wrecking ball
RangerRick9211
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

bjork said:

r/TropicalWeather has good commentary on the GFS. It's apparently broken and overshoots intensity. So, grain-of-salt and that jazz.
I only remember seeing that GFS wasnt as accurate on this thread
Euro called Harvey best and continues to do so at this point with Irma.

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/facstaff/tang/tcguidance/al112017/
BowSowy
AG
Man, that would be bad. It seems like more Floridians in Tampa are opting to stay put due to the models forecasting this thing riding up the east coast. If it shifts and hits Tampa...
oragator
https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/905861946167238656/photo/1

Winds. Hurricane gusts all the way to Atlanta.
Swarely

Looks like Africa is reloading
The Fife
CJS4715 said:

12z Euro seems to be a problem...
Not for those of us in coastal GA, SC and NC... That track is like a stay of execution. Now it's time to see if it's an outlier or if the others will follow. IIRC the UK Met was sort of near there in recent runs.
The Wonderer
AG
Google Crisis looks pretty legit

http://google.org/crisismap/2017-irma?hl=en&llbox=35.46%2C11.66%2C-40.38%2C-100.41&t=TERRAIN&layers=3%2C1340721332252%2C30%2C1%2C31%2C32%2C5%2C49%2C15%2C11%2C20%2C12%2Clayer9%2Clayer8
CharlieBrown17
AG
Must be an active year for butterflies on the dark continent
The Collective
AG
Looks like the poorly named Cockburn Town is about to get pummeled.
oragator
AggieArcher17
AG
Kinda doubt they have a kid named Jose
ftaggie09
AG
Are the models now showing a later shift to the East?

Trying to figure out if I should still fly to Destin tomorrow night. It still looks like the main part of Irma won't really hit the Destin area.
SoTheySay
S
Perhaps Joseph
The Collective
AG
ftaggie09 said:

Are the models now showing a later shift to the East?

Trying to figure out if I should still fly to Destin tomorrow night. It still looks like the main part of Irma won't really hit the Destin area.

Hard to know. 72 hours out is considered fairly reliable. Currently, the bigger concern appears to be central to NW Florida once inland (seems like center near I-75 corridor seems like a reasonable expectation but could shift as far west as Tallahassee).
First Page Last Page
Page 98 of 106

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.