Outdoors
Sponsored by

Surf Fishing

63,847 Views | 190 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by chjoak
AgsMnn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What is the best wind for surf fishing?

Trying to get in the surf next week out of POC on a boat but unsure. Wind is showing E Friday morning and ENE Thursday afternoon.

Not sure if that will help calm the surf or not.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
It needs to be calm a day or two before, or at least out of the North to flatten it. Once flat, a light SE wind should clear it. If the water isn't green, don't waste your time.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
AgsMnn
AG
What are your thoughts on the weather for next Thursday through Saturday
K_P
AG
That's for the great OP!
What about winds? I fish when I can, but leaving the wife with the babies, I try to choose the best days.
What about tomorrow morning - SE wind at 15?
Salt of the water
AG
Like Troutslime says, a North wind will flatten down waves. That's a great rule of thumb for the upper Texas coast. As you move south the coast bends, then you want a NW wind. From Corpus and South a West wind.

A couple days of 5mph or less calm will flatten things down too. Often thats a dog days of summer thing, late July through August.

Check surf cams and surf reports. Crappy surfing waves are good fishing waves.

The above is pretty much just for trout wading.

If you're soaking bait, the wind is pretty much meaningless. I may hesitate to fish into a 30+ mph wind, just because that's a lot of work. I've definitely fished the surf in the winter with a Northern gusting 40 at my back. Just lob that bait up and let the wind help you out.
K_P
AG
Thanks! Didn't see same question when I posted but thanks for both answers
AgsMnn
AG
Looks like a cool front is coming in next week.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
3 year old reeled in his first fish Saturday!

Whiting were hammering dead shrimp pieces on a carolina rig as soon as you could put them there! No love for croakers but the water was prettier on Saturday than it was Friday, I bet it will be trout green by tomorrow or Wed if it's not already!
jpb1999
AG
Posted on the kayak thread, but thought I would ask a more fishing related question here.

Going to Port A and staying on the beach mid-August. If we do any fishing it will only be some sort of surf fishing, mainly for the kids. Thinking about taking the kayaks with us, but they are just cheap (but stable at 3 ft wide) sit on tops. I remember last year some people had some kayaks and said just out past the breaks the water was clear and could see to the bottom. For some reason this makes me nervous as I have never been in a kayak off the beach and not sure how strong the currents are out there. Is this safe?

Also might use this as a means to drop a line out further in surf out beyond the breaks. Is that a thing? Do people do that?

TIA!

Spane Bohem

ag_03_aj
AG
Water clarity is better the farther out you are depending on wind and water movement. But yes it is nicer out past the breaks. To me the worst part is fighting to get over the breakers. Once you're over them you only deal with swells and they aren't too bad to fight with if they aren't huge. I've done well staying on my yak and fishing out there many times. But the last time I tried my luck out there I caught a bull red that almost flipped my big butt and haven't stayed out to fish since! Using a kayak is also def a great way to get beyond the breakers to drop a line. Lots of bull reds and sharks out there!
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
It's great fun, and a great way to get your baits way out there. Do a couple dry runs first (no fishing gear, just you, pfd, boat and paddle) before you get out there and lose gear. On both entry and exit, your number 1 priority is to keep the boat perpendicular to the breakers, if you get sideways it's all over. Also if (when) you do turtle don't get on the beach side of your boat as if you do the waves will beat you with it.
Salt of the water
AG
NRD09 said:

3 year old reeled in his first fish Saturday!

Whiting were hammering dead shrimp pieces on a carolina rig as soon as you could put them there! No love for croakers but the water was prettier on Saturday than it was Friday, I bet it will be trout green by tomorrow or Wed if it's not already!

Awesome! Way to go Dad.
Salt of the water
AG
jpb1999 said:

Posted on the kayak thread, but thought I would ask a more fishing related question here.

Going to Port A and staying on the beach mid-August. If we do any fishing it will only be some sort of surf fishing, mainly for the kids. Thinking about taking the kayaks with us, but they are just cheap (but stable at 3 ft wide) sit on tops. I remember last year some people had some kayaks and said just out past the breaks the water was clear and could see to the bottom. For some reason this makes me nervous as I have never been in a kayak off the beach and not sure how strong the currents are out there. Is this safe?

Also might use this as a means to drop a line out further in surf out beyond the breaks. Is that a thing? Do people do that?

TIA!

If it's flat and calm go for it. If it's rough, proceed with caution. Especially if they're really cheap kayaks with a seam (not solid rotomolded).
Those are known to take on water and sink in the rough stuff.

Dropping baits out deep for bigger fish is definitely a thing. Especially for the people chasing big sharks.

Texas kayak fisherman has a whole section dedicated to BTB (beyond the breakers) fishing. Lots of people do it and fish from out there instead of just dropping baits.
HtownAg92
AG
ag_03_aj said:

Water clarity is better the farther out you are depending on wind and water movement. But yes it is nicer out past the breaks. To me the worst part is fighting to get over the breakers. Once you're over them you only deal with swells and they aren't too bad to fight with if they aren't huge. I've done well staying on my yak and fishing out there many times. But the last time I tried my luck out there I caught a bull red that almost flipped my big butt and haven't stayed out to fish since! Using a kayak is also def a great way to get beyond the breakers to drop a line. Lots of bull reds and sharks out there!
I've had some good times wading / swimming out through the guts to get to a far sandbar and better water. Getting hit by the swells while hooked on is awesome and made me think of this:

ag_03_aj
AG
That is awesome! Lots of good times with my dad fishing in the surf!
K_P
AG
elnaco said:

-Bring some twine to catch blue crabs with either cast netted mullet or chicken necks bc blue crab is delicious and it's something to do to pass the time while you're waiting for a seamonster to take your chunk of cownose ray. Either hand line them or setup a clothesline on the first sandbar with a bunch of baited lines hanging down. Every 2 beers or so go out and pull up the lines and dip net any crabs hanging on. This will also keep kids entertained for hours.

Never knew you could catch them in the surf. Caught 5 blue crab in addition to 4 keeper trout today. Lots of fun!
AgsMnn
AG
Winds look to be 3-5 out of the east NE tomorrow morning per weather channel app in POC. Hopefully we can get on the trout in the surf.
SquirrellyDan
AG
I'm going to be staying at the "On the Beach" RV Park in Port A. I'm not bringing my kayak, so I'll just be either wade fishing, fishing the surf, or pier fishing for the weekend. I've never done any of these in Port A. Any advice? I plan on putting some shimp on a popping cork and I have some top waters and some gold spoons. Any other advice? Is that a decent area to fish the surf (beach just south of Port A)? Recommend any good bay side wading near there?

Thanks in advance!
ag_03_aj
AG
I'll be headed to surfside beach access 4 by the big cell tower on Sunday if anyone wants to meet up. I hear they've been steady to great on Trout with shrimp and finger mullet. Also on topwaters early and then plastics once the sun is good and up. Plan to stay through lunch before heading back to cs. Really wanted to try to find a new spot to get some reds as well but I'm sticking with the area I know to try and get a load before I get too busy to make it back down for a while.
SquirrellyDan
AG
When people say, "Go out to the first sandbar and fish the gut behind it," how far out is the first sand bar? I'm talking about the surf just south of Port Aransas.
K_P
AG
Depends on the tide. Typically you walk into the water from the beach and the water reaches knee-thigh depth (first gut). Keep walking and it gets shallower to maybe calf or even ankle depth (first bar.)

The waves break on the ocean-side of the sandbar.

I will say it's often closer than people think and they are standing on top of the fish casing into breaking waves (where there are less fish.)
SquirrellyDan
AG
K_P said:

Depends on the tide. Typically you walk into the water from the beach and the water reaches knee-thigh depth (first gut). Keep walking and it gets shallower to maybe calf or even ankle depth (first bar.)

The waves break on the ocean-side of the sandbar.

I will say it's often closer than people think and they are standing on top of the fish casing into breaking waves (where there are less fish.)
Thats great info, thanks. I was thinking I'd need to get out to chest high water before it started to shallow. Thanks again.
K_P
AG
this is the general idea though the distances could be different depending on the beach/tides.

i think the bait placement its talking about is for sharks -- never done that before

ag_03_aj
AG
Great info and graphic,K_P! Bait placement can be tricky bc you need to find the fish. But you want to set baits where the fish are running which is usually on either side of the sand bar. The best is the deepest area right before the sandbar in my opinion. Its similar to a road/channel where fish will use the current to cruise along the bars. But to be honest, I've caught them all throughout the guts between bars. Find the bait and you will find the fish!
Salt of the water
AG
Just a FYI - Some people refer to knee deep spot between the dry beach and first bar as the wade gut. Then between the first and second bar you have the first gut. Others call it like K_P; first gut, first bar, second gut, second bar.

It's silly and confusing. I've given up hope on making sense of it. If I hear a report that they're biting in the second gut, I assume I need to fish both sides of the second bar until I figure out where they are.
K_P
AG
Those statements never confused me...until now.
K_P
AG
So if that's right, what's the 3rd gut? Just the ocean?
ag_03_aj
AG
It is def confusing because everyone says it different! When I first started out I was taught the water between the beach and the first sand bar is called the Wade gut. Usually no deeper than your knees. Then after the 1st bar is the first gut. But I've had life long surf fishermen call it the first gut. I think the confusion comes from when it is high tide that Wade gut is there but in some areas when it is low you don't have the Wade gut. To be honest...I don't know which is correct! I never walk out into the water before casting into the shallow waters though! Especially early as the sun comes up or even way before you can catch some monster Trout in 1-2 ft of water. Last time I was down I caught 3 Trout from 21-24 in before the sun was up on a top water. Never had a bite after that.
aggiefan09
AG
Fished the surf last week in Port A. Fishing was pretty poor in terms of quantity, but the small amount of fish we did catch were quality. Whiting were in the 12-14 in range, caught a few sharks, a redfish, and a pompano. A couple of guys fishing near us caught about 7-9 pompano on live shrimp all before about 10 am.
Salt of the water
AG
K_P said:

So if that's right, what's the 3rd gut? Just the ocean?

The area past the third gut and before the fourth bar. The surf zone topography extends quite a ways on the upper coast of Texas even though you can't always see or notice it. There aren't always waves breaking out there, but they do break often enough (usually in storms) to keep some sandbars carved for quite a ways out.

If you're on the upper TX coast, on some tides you can wade out to the third bar. The further south you go, the more likely it becomes that you'll need to swim.

I usually think of West Matagorda Bay / POC as the dividing line for upper coast and lower coast. Pretty much this yellow line. There is so much more shelf on the upper coast, and deep water is so much closer down South.

HtownAg92
AG
ag_03_aj said:

It is def confusing because everyone says it different! When I first started out I was taught the water between the beach and the first sand bar is called the Wade gut. Usually no deeper than your knees. Then after the 1st bar is the first gut. But I've had life long surf fishermen call it the first gut. I think the confusion comes from when it is high tide that Wade gut is there but in some areas when it is low you don't have the Wade gut. To be honest...I don't know which is correct! I never walk out into the water before casting into the shallow waters though! Especially early as the sun comes up or even way before you can catch some monster Trout in 1-2 ft of water. Last time I was down I caught 3 Trout from 21-24 in before the sun was up on a top water. Never had a bite after that.
I have always called it the first gut or the "beer gut", since you can cast into it when you wade back to the beach to take a break with a cold one. Caught a few while sitting in a beach chair in that beer gut.
AgsMnn
AG
Last Saturday the surf in POC was amazing in quality. Flat and green. Bad part, your bait couldn't sit long enough before the sharks got it. We caught north of 60 sharks and lost just as many hooks. Everywhere you stopped you would see schools of them.

We did manage to catch some trout, but took a long time. The surf was just to good to not fish. Perfect conditions.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
SquirrellyDan said:

When people say, "Go out to the first sandbar and fish the gut behind it," how far out is the first sand bar? I'm talking about the surf just south of Port Aransas.
Unless you are out early early, be prepared to fish around swimmers. I get some strange looks but I'm more just messing around and not really trying to serious fish.
jaggiemaggie
AG
Where in POC where you?
SquirrellyDan
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

SquirrellyDan said:

Unless you are out early early, be prepared to fish around swimmers. I get some strange looks but I'm more just messing around and not really trying to serious fish.
Yeah I'm anticipating being out before a lot of people show up. However, if I'm catching fish, they're going to have to swim around me!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.