Outdoors
Sponsored by

Surf Fishing

63,618 Views | 190 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by chjoak
FHKPLEX03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Heading down to Galveston West Bay area Saturday for some evening/night fishing and probably early Sunday morning. Haven't done this in 10 years. 3 of us with kayaks. Any recommendations on where to go? Staying at a lodge near Harborwalk Marina, across the water from Tiki Island.

We have the typical bayfishing gear. Thinking of running 2 rods. 1 weighted with shrimp and another casting artificials. We honestly don't know where would even be a good area to paddle to and try and catch some trout or reds this time of year.

TIA
jaggiemaggie
AG
Anyone gone lately? Going to surfside in a couple of weeks.
Motis B Totis
AG
bump. I've been looking at getting started! This was a great read
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I haven't gotten after it as hard as usual this year but I've really had crummy luck this summer. Best I've done is a great big gafftop this past Saturday. Our neighbors down on the Galveston west end have put a lot of time in and they say it's the worst summer they've had in a while too. Water just hasn't laid down for any decent amount of time. Sauerkraut weed seems to be coming in now too...
Motis B Totis
AG
I picked up some crabbing gear for tomorrow. Will bring net, twine, bucket, chicken legs and a cane pole for the kid.
cuz-i-can
AG
Turkey necks are alot cheaper and hold up better...
B-1 83
AG
Hitting the surf south of Bob Hall by "the sticks" this morning. I'll likely throw gulps on the light gear (maybe some live shrimp of I can find some) and rig up with cut skipjack on the long rod. Mainly a "get the grandson to the beach" trip.
Ogre09
AG
Bump
jaggiemaggie
AG
Looking for recommendation on where to fish for reds this fall? Unfortunately, I don't have a boat or a kayak
5StarShield
AG
What area would you be looking to go fishing? Ie. Port A, Galveston, etc.
jaggiemaggie
AG
Between Bolivar Peninsula and Surfside. Ive mostly gone to West end of Galveston
chjoak
AG
My favorite surf spot in the Galveston area is Quintana Beach just SW of Freeport. That has more to do with the lack of people on the beach vs Surfside or Galveston but you can catch there just as well as most other beaches.
SuperAg05
AG
Bumping this thread for a little advice.

Looking to put together a setup for fishing from the beach/surf in Port A. Came across this Penn Wrath II setup on Amazon, and it looked legit. Is 12 ft too much for that area? Is the 8000 reel overkill?

https://a.co/d/45bE55R

Seems like a fairly cheap price of entry, but wanted to ping the experts.

ItsA&InotA&M
SuperAg05 said:

Bumping this thread for a little advice.

Looking to put together a setup for fishing from the beach/surf in Port A. Came across this Penn Wrath II setup on Amazon, and it looked legit. Is 12 ft too much for that area? Is the 8000 reel overkill?

https://a.co/d/45bE55R

Seems like a fairly cheap price of entry, but wanted to ping the experts.

The reviews for the rods are no bueno.
chjoak
AG
I have a couple Penn Pursuit surf rods that I picked up from Academy on sale. They are 10' with 8000 series reels. 8000 seems a bit big but it gives you plenty of line and performs well with big fish. When I can start getting myself to the beach more often I plan to get a couple bigger rods (12-14'). Haven't decided if I will stick with a similar size reel or go a bit smaller.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.