Outdoors
Sponsored by

Cost to replace injectors in 5.9 Cummins

22,240 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BCOBQ98
BoerneGator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have an ' 04 Ram with only 52k miles on it. As a result of neglect (truck sits parked), two injectors have gone "bad" due to water in fuel. I was told the bill to replace is gonna be $3,500 (this includes dropping the tank and cleaning it, plus a compression test they've already done to make sure the cylinders are all solid - they are!)

Does this sound reasonable? Research shows the injectors plus tubes are just under $400 each, but can't one expect a discount for 6?

Knowing some of you have crossed this bridge before, I'm looking for advice. Are there savings on purchasing injector/tube sets? Tia
Burdizzo
AG
I never bought common rail type injectors. My old Ford was an IDI which meant they were the mechanical type actuated by the pressure of the pump, but I never saw any discount for buying 8 at a time versus 1 or 2. Sorry.

I was lucky. The old style injectors for my IDI were about $30-40/each. When they came out with the PowerStroke, they were about 10x that price
Agmechanic
AG
Injectors plus tubes, remove fuel lines, remove exhaust rockers, replace injectors, new fuel cross head tubes, reinstall errything, run overhead. Probably 2400-2500 in parts. Sounds ok for price, maybe a little high but not way off at all.

No discount for six. #5 and 6 will be the hardest to replace. Make sure they reinstall all the fuel line isolator clamps. If not, you'll have cracked fuel lines eventually.
Agmechanic
AG
Tubes by themselves are pretty cheap
SG09
AG
I did three in my 04.5 and it was 2100 from a great/reputable Cummins shop in Austin. That includes bench testing all 6.
MouthBQ98
AG
Jeez. I can get an entire rebuilt 5.3 installed in my burban for $2800.
BrazosDog02
AG
Well, OP, I have a 6.0 diesel that is down due to a few things.

My options are 6k to 11k repair or buy a new truck. So...You're costs don't sound too bad. Just offering a different perspective.
magnumtmp
AG
Sounds about right for new injectors. $450*6 is $2700 and $800 labor.

You could ask about remanufactured injectors. I think they are close to $100 each cheaper.

I have an '04 Cummins also....I dread the day the injection pump or the injectors go out...
BCOBQ98
AG
How long does it sit up? I've got an 05 with 38k miles with no issues. I do keep it garaged and is driven at least once a month and on long trips.
BCOBQ98
AG
And....
BoerneGator
AG
I have driven it only a couple of times a year, and for very few miles over the past 7-8 years. Even less frequently the last 3-4. That was a mistake.
BCOBQ98
AG
Ah ok so the same tank of diesel sat for a few years and probably got water and algae in it. Hope it works,out ok.
BoerneGator
AG
There was quite a lot of water (in the filter I had recently changed btw). So they wanna remove n clean the tank
BCOBQ98
AG
When my truck had 5K miles I picked up a batch of diesel that had a great deal of water in it. As the gas station was paying for it I let the dealership clean it up. They dropped the tank, cleaned, and then flushed out the entire fuel system with some cleaner.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.