Outdoors
Sponsored by

Cooked outdoors this morning

11,259 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by FIREDISC Cookers
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EDIT: Okay, errand done. So here are the two legs.

Tab A goes into slot B

Like so

A more distant view

Two things to notice here. One is that the legs are pretty close together. I did that so the 16" disc would fit on top. And so it would barely clear the outside of a propane tank, for storage. A five gallon tank will fit neatly under the legs. Wouldn't cook with it there, just store.

The second thing is the slight angle cut in the top of the legs, matching the slope of the disc. Both the 16" and the 21" fit nicely on top. I couldn't decide if I wanted a ring, or flat bits of steel, or what, for the disc to rest on. This seems to work.

Were I to do over, I'd spread the legs further apart, for stability, and because a 16" disc is really small.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG

I don't know the exact dimensions but would one of these with folding legs work over a campfire or would it be too heavy to haul?

I know it would be too short to stand and cook.
Tursiops93
AG
I've had one of these for a few years now and love to use it! It rocks with onions and peppers for fajitas!
CanyonAg77
AG
Now the burner. I used 1" square tubing for the legs, and 1.25 inch for the burner mount to slide up and down. Set screws on each end, and the way I set ut up, about a 5-6" range of settings for the burner.

Burner mounts across one set of legs like so.

Wind proved to be a problem, so I bent some 16ga steel (would have used 18ga if there were any on the scrap pile) bent the ends over for safety, and welded to the 1.25" tubing.

It slips on one of the legs opposite the burner, like so.

CanyonAg77
AG
It took a little time to fabricate the stand, and figure stuff out. Pretty happy with the end result. The most labor intensive part is getting the disc nice and smooth and pretty. I still ended up with swirl marks, but this disc ended up a lot shinier and smooth than the one in the OP. Still some rust pits, but they should eventually season in. The disc sat in the dirt for a while, so one side was more rusted.

I think this disc was better quality steel. The more I ground and sanded, the less pits. The one in the OP, the more I sanded, the more pits. I decided they were casting flaws.

And the assembled product, ready for seasoning......

MookieBlaylock
AG
So jelaous
Not only did you name your son after a night of drinking you make him nice things
CanyonAg77
AG
Few more details. First, sad, old, broken down Krause offset disc melting into the dirt.

Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't have pulled a disc designed for 125hp across hard ground with a 200hp MFWD.

That'll buff out....

Hole

Plug, obviously a product of fine machine work. Or some old guy with a torch and a grinder.

A grinder covers a multitude of sins.

As does paint.

Three inch burner from turkey fryer vs. 6 inch burner. "That's not a burner. THAT'S a burner."

CanyonAg77
AG
Let's see how it works.....Onions, pepper squash cooked after the meat.

FIRE!

TRIDENT
AG
Nicely done!
bam02
AG
Awesome job!
GeronimoAg
AG
Wow!
BenderRodriguez
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

And the assembled product, ready for seasoning......

My meal planning for next week:

Monday: Bacon
Tuesday: Bacon
Wednesday: Bacon with a side of Bacon
Thursday: Bacon
Friday: A bacon sandwich on bread. Except the bread is also bacon.

bmc13
AG
nice
tlfw378
AG
I likey!
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Awesome
BenderRodriguez
AG
Thought I'd update with the new disc. Big fan.

Here it is next to the old set up. No more slav squat to cook, which is nice.

New disc is bigger than the older one as well:

New wind guard makes it easier to cook in the breeze:

Bacon:

Toast some bread in the bacon grease, then throw on the eggs:

Breakfast!

This looks like a pain in the butt to clean, right?

Not really. Easy to clean while still hot. Use the faucet outside and a brush, scrub it all off, then wipe it down to keep it from rusting. Easy peasy.

Looking forward to doing some chorizo hash, fajitas, etc on this thing.

TwoMarksHand
AG
Your neighbors must think your stove is broke
BenderRodriguez
AG
TwoMarksHand said:

Your neighbors must think your stove is broke

They know I like cooking outside. Grilling, on the disc, etc.

They might finally get grumpy about it if I built a fire and tried some open flame cooking, but no complaints so far.

TwoMarksHand
AG
I've posted this before, but if you have RFDtv, I'd suggest recording Cookin' Outdoors with Johnny Nix. His accent and mannerisms kill me with laughter. But I be damned if he doesn't cook some tasty looking meals.
CanyonAg77
AG
A little added info. If you ever watch the cooking show Man Fire Food, they featured discos, some large pot called a hueva (?) and pueblo mud ovens on an episode aired today. It's from 2014, and will air again on May 29 and June 20, so set your DVR

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/shows/man-fire-food/episodes/mud-and-steel-in-new-mexico

Haven't found the episode online yet
fightingfarmer09
CanyonAg77 said:

A little added info. If you ever watch the cooking show Man Fire Food, they featured discos, some large pot called a hueva (?) and pueblo mud ovens on an episode aired today. It's from 2014, and will air again on May 29 and June 20, so set your DVR

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/shows/man-fire-food/episodes/mud-and-steel-in-new-mexico

Haven't found the episode online yet

Man Fire Food is an awesome show. Highly recommend for those looking for a unique approach to outdoor cooking. Proves there is no perfect way to cook outdoors.
FIREDISC Cookers
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.