Outdoors
Sponsored by

Cooked outdoors this morning

11,242 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by FIREDISC Cookers
BenderRodriguez
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My dad (CanyonAg77) made a pretty cool Christmas present for me this year: A Discada.

For those who don't know what it is, discadas are repurposed plow discs used to cook with in Mexico/South Texas. This one was made using a plow disc that had been used on our family farm, making it extra cool (to me).

Because of the shape/thickness, it's a lot like a wok, with liquids/grease collecting in the middle, where it is warmest. I started seasoning mine this week, using the most appropriate possible seasoning ingredient....bacon.

Thought I'd share this morning's results with the OB.

Right now I'm using a turkey fryer stand/burner, though he's working on a more portable setup using a bigger burner.

Toasting a little sourdough in the bacon grease:

Plus an egg:

The nice thing about a heavy discada is that while it is very hot in the middle, I can push the bacon/bread to the sides while I cook the egg and its cool enough that there is no risk of over cooking.

Not a bad little one dish breakfast.

nealan
Great, now I'm hungry! Looks good!
TwoMarksHand
AG
The belly of the OB is growling after that.
Texmid
AG
Damn, now I'm hungry too.
CactusThomas
AG
What calibers is that gong rated for?
BenderRodriguez
AG
CactusThomas said:

What calibers is that gong rated for?

9.3x62.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
I would like to congratulate you on your awesomeness. Kudos, good sir!
Blane
Looks awesome. What time is breakfast tomorrow?
Tailgate88
BenderRodriguez
AG
Blane said:

Looks awesome. What time is breakfast tomorrow?

Depends on tonight. Going to a Chinese friends house to eat Hot Pot for the lunar new year, and if last time was any indication I may be way, way, way too full to think about breakfast tomorrow.
BCO07
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

My dad (CanyonAg77)

Wait, what? How have I missed this before
MarylandAG
I see those pics and all I can think off are tripas or chicharones on a good quality corn tortilla with a slice of aguacate!
FIDO 96
AG
Post pics of burner once it's complete.
dr_boogs
AG
BCO07 said:

BenderRodriguez said:

My dad (CanyonAg77)

Mind...exploded
BanderaAg956
I have the parts for two (2) discada that I need to assemble and weld up. This might just motivate me to get it done!

Thanks
GSlice06
AG
Weld 3 rebar legs to the bottom and it's the perfect, go anywhere, cooker.
UnderoosAg
AG
You make discada in a disco. /Thatguy
Allen76
AG
BCO07 said:

BenderRodriguez said:

My dad (CanyonAg77)

Yeah, I feel like a stalker!

Last year we got to see a picture of Schmellba (first time for me anyway).

This is just TMI.
CanyonAg77
AG
BCO07 said:

BenderRodriguez said:

My dad (CanyonAg77)
Yeah, I've tried to save him the embarrassment...
TwoMarksHand
AG
BCO07 said:

BenderRodriguez said:

My dad (CanyonAg77)

Oh. My. Goodness.
BenderRodriguez
AG
BCO07 said:

BenderRodriguez said:

My dad (CanyonAg77)

I guess it's never really come up before.

But yep, my dad.
Love Gun
That looks like an EFP IED that Al Qaeda used on us in Iraq! Seriously though, that's pretty sweet.

Whitetail
AG
Quote:

Not a bad little one disc breakfast.
FIFY
JSKolache
AG
UnderoosAg said:

You make discada in a disco. /Thatguy
Mmmm, guiso...
chet98
AG
Quick google-ing found these guys that make and sell these online....really don't need one of these but kind of want...

http://www.southwestdisk.com/
CanyonAg77
AG
I've stolen the idea for my stand from the company below. I'll post pics when done.

https://www.firedisccookers.com/
chet98
AG
Can you use one of these on a Weber gas grill? Have to measure mine when I get home but I'm not sure you can get the thing down close enough to the flame.

Don't camp much but if I could make that happen I'd be all over one of these. Or say screw it and spend a bit for the stand. Don't think I'd go firedisc though. They seem really proud of theirs...
Canyon99
Made one just like yours years ago for breakfast tailgating prior to early A&M games. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.
dubi
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

BCO07 said:

BenderRodriguez said:

My dad (CanyonAg77)
Yeah, I've tried to save him the embarrassment...
Very good answer.

My spawn probably would not claim me!
MookieBlaylock
AG
Buyers has that same thing for like 599

Theirs makes popcorn and tacos can yours do that?
CanyonAg77
AG
I think they would get hot enough for popcorn, just put a little oil in first. Might be interesting to try. I think heat distribution is the problem.

The turkey fryer Bender is using has a 3 inch burner. I have a 6 inch burner I'm putting on the stand. And it's going to be adjustable height. So we will see.

The current disk I made, I cut down to 16" because it seemed huge to me. But after I made it, I looked online and saw that the commercial ones are 24" and 36". The 16" is probably fine for 1 or 2 people, but I think you need bigger for the 6" burner and for bigger meals.

My next disk I'll convert was probably 22" from the factory, but wore out to just under 21". Still will have about 1 and 2/3 as much cooking area as a 16".

The discs are from what we called a tandem, or an offset, depending on the configuration. I think the official name is tandem (or offset) disc harrow. I also have discs from a disc bedder (also called a disc lister), which has a much deeper dish, and is more like a wok. The discs from a tandem are about 3" deep in the middle, the bedder disc more like 4.5".
BenderRodriguez
AG
Made dinner tonight. I've been marinating thin sliced "beef belly" from the Asian market in bulgolgi sauce for two days. Started with it.

Once the meat was ready, threw on some kimchi that I'd mixed with a little rice wine vinegar and sugar.

Heated up some tortillas as well..

And then topped everything with raw white onion, sirracha mayo and cilantro.

Pretty good eating.
UnderoosAg
AG
Canyon is Korean?!??
BenderRodriguez
AG
UnderoosAg said:

Canyon is Korean?!??

No, we're pretty lily white (German, mostly).

I'm just a sucker for Korean food. And all food.

CanyonAg77
AG
Finally going to see Bender this weekend, so I finished up the Disco stand to take to him..

No, not that.

When I made the original one in the OP, I thought 16" was more than big enough. I was wrong. So I made a new disc without cutting it down. This one is about 20"+ in diameter, it was probably 22" when new. Frankly, one 24" and larger would not be a bad idea. As it was, went from a cooking area of 201 sq. in., to 330 sq. in. Twenty four inches would take you up to 452 sq. in.

I also made the stand where it could be disassembled, or where it would store over the top of a 5 gallon propane tank, assembled. I copied the design from a stand I found online, the two legs lay flat, but interlock to use. I think I'd make the stand wider next time, to work on bigger discs and to be more stable.

Bender's been using a turkey fryer for the burner, with a 3 inch fire ring. I bought this ring off Amazon, it's 6".

Wind has been a problem, so I made an easy to use/remove half-circle wind shield.

I have had trouble regulating the fire height, and I thought about adding a valve right before the fire ring. I couldn't fix one without it being heavy, long, and subject to damage. So I left it off. You'll notice the mount for the fire ring has set screws to adjust the height/distance from disc.

So, here's the whole pile of parts....

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.