Outdoors
Sponsored by

Just heard open carry passed on news radio

11,220 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TexasRebel
JaneDoe02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm really starting to love this look. I'll be asking for girly gun belts for Christmas.

(Not me, just a random internet lady)
TEXAS A and M
quote:
quote:
or sitting down in wataburger on the way home.

Now I love me some Whataburger.

How's the knock off chain wataburger doing? Is this lady working the front counter?

It's a McDowells franchise.

BlackGoldAg2011
AG
quote:
quote:
Not sure how I feel about this one. I'm not liberal in the least bit but I'm not sure it's a good idea for everyone to be walking around with a gun on their side. There's a lot of crazy folks out there.

Oklahoma has had open carry since 2012.

If the Okies can handle it, somehow I think Texas will be okay.

Yea, we can handle full strength beer so we should be able to handle guns at least as well as them.

So I guess it's time to get me a nice open carry gun to show off. I think an argument could be made that much like women have a different purse for different outfits I will need a different gun for every outfit.
JaneDoe02
AG
Makes me want to dip my guns pink. It seemed pointless before, since nobody ever saw them but me.
txyaloo
AG
quote:
Not sure how I feel about this one. I'm not liberal in the least bit but I'm not sure it's a good idea for everyone to be walking around with a gun on their side. There's a lot of crazy folks out there.
The vast majority of current CHL holders don't carry daily. The vast majority of the subset that carry daily will still carry concealed. So now you're dealing with a subset of a subset of a subset. That hardly qualifies as "everyone".
LewisChilds
AG
quote:
That amendment was struck, unfortunately, so police can ask to see someone's license if they're carrying openly.
They can ask, but is a citizen obligated to provide the license?
Burt Macklin, FBI
AG
quote:
Not sure how I feel about this one. I'm not liberal in the least bit but I'm not sure it's a good idea for everyone to be walking around with a gun on their side. There's a lot of crazy folks out there

People said the exact same thing back in the mid-90's when CC passed. They turned out to be dead wrong.
OhAggie98
AG
Ohio has constitutional open carry, no license required. I hardly ever see anybody carrying unless I'm in a gun store or something similar. I think Texas should be able to handle it just as well.
maverick2076
quote:
quote:
That amendment was struck, unfortunately, so police can ask to see someone's license if they're carrying openly.
They can ask, but is a citizen obligated to provide the license?

Engaging in a legal activity in and of itself is not PC to be stopped by police. The amendment was unnecessary in the first place.

Perhaps the most important section of the OC bill is the reduction for carrying past a 30.06 (or 30.07) sign from a Class A misdemeanor and possible jail time to a Class C with a $200 fine.
Tom Doniphon
Crazy doesn't increase or diminish based on this law IMO. It simply gives licensed, law abiding folks the option to carry outside their pants if they so desire. I intend to take advantage of it.
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
Crazy doesn't increase or diminish based on this law IMO. It simply gives licensed, law abiding folks the option to carry outside their pants if they so desire. I intend to take advantage of it.

Yep.

Can't really think of any specific time or circumstance where I'll open carry much, but might start using my OWB G19 holster more often in shorts and a t shirt in the summer instead of the more usual IWB option.

schmellba99
AG
quote:

You do realize that the people that can OC are the exact same people that currently walk around with a gun on their hip, correct?

Do people really think that an open carry holster somehow turns you into a raving mad maniac? I just dont get it.
schmellba99
AG
Without the amendment, carrying is probable cause to be detained and asked for proof of license by a LEO. That was the basis of the entire debate on the Dutton/Huffines amendment.

Now, will every LEO run around and stop everybody the see open carrying? Hardly. But one will be too much.
CS78
Suppose it's a step in the right direction but I still wont be signing up for any license.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Is open carrying really reasonable suspicion to stop a person though? If so the police would be justified in pulling you over while driving just to make sure you have a drivers license
maverick2076
quote:
Without the amendment, carrying is probable cause to be detained and asked for proof of license by a LEO. That was the basis of the entire debate on the Dutton/Huffines amendment.

Now, will every LEO run around and stop everybody the see open carrying? Hardly. But one will be too much.

No it's not. Read Charles Cotton's commentary on this on the Texas CHL forum. He's an attorney, and he has helped draft most of the CHL laws here in TX. The Dutton and Huffines amendments were never necessary.
txyaloo
AG
quote:
Is open carrying really reasonable suspicion to stop a person though? If so the police would be justified in pulling you over while driving just to make sure you have a drivers license
Simply open carrying isn't, but most any LEO can come up with "reasonable suspicion" if they really want to stop you.

They can also do "consensual stops" where you are free to leave but it may not actually seem that way. A lot of the OC stops in other states are "consensual" and it's why you often hear people asking if they're free to go. Once they're no longer free to go, the stop is no longer "consensual".
txyaloo
AG
quote:
Suppose it's a step in the right direction but I still wont be signing up for any license.
Your loss, not ours. The rest of us will enjoy legally being able to carry freely and protect ourselves if the need arises.
schmellba99
AG
I would say no, but that will be at the discretion of the LEO, and what mandates come from elected and politically appointed offices in their jurisdiction.

For example - I would bet that a weekend warrior biker riding his Harley right now would be detained if they were open carrying, regardless of whether they have violated any laws or not.

I do not think you will see legions of people unecessarily detained, but one will be too many. I dont know how many other scenarios there are that people would be fine with violations of rights being part of the game.
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
I do not think you will see legions of people unecessarily detained, but one will be too many. I dont know how many other scenarios there are that people would be fine with violations of rights being part of the game.

One is too many. Thankfully, we have great technology where anyone can cheaply and easily record any interaction with the police while carrying, and plenty of lawyers willing to go after anyone doing something the wrong way.

I'm still trying to figure out in what world your way of insisting on an amendment that still wouldn't have stopped police harassment, still would have required long lengthy court processes to remedy violations and most importantly would have killed HB 910s chance of passing this year and added at least another 2 years to the long, embarrassing period Texans couldn't legally open carry is somehow better than what we got.

CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
quote:
great. now every redneck with a chl can make this state look like the wild west again
Ever been to New Mexico? You aren't even allowed to be a resident there unless you are certifiably crazy. You can Open Carry there without any kind of license, starting at age 19. You can only concealed carry with a permit.

Our daughter attended college in Colorado. Both kids had soccer tournaments in ABQ and Roswell. I've been there on vacation probably 100 times since I was a kid. We've been to NM probably 50 times in the last 10 years for my wife's job.

Want to know how many people I've seen carrying openly?

CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
great. now every redneck with a chl can make this state look like the wild west again
BTW, the laws against open carry were passed in Texas right after the Civil War......which would be right before the wild west.
Kenneth_2003
AG
I'm glad this passed. I've had my CHL for several years but unfortunately I hardly ever carry. At 5'9" and 155 lbs, I haven't been able to find an iwb holster that is comfortable.

This will increase my options.
BigCountryAg
AG
quote:

Why do so many people think Open Carry means you must OC your weapon?

I, for one will hardly if ever OC my weapon. I'd rather a bad guy not have a clue whether I'm carrying or not.

Open carrying with the idea that you're going to intimidate a bad guy is senseless, careless, silly and stupid not to mention a good way to get yourself killed. Why make yourself a target?

I'm sure there will be some idiots out to make a point and show off their piece for the world to see, but once the novelty wears off most will go back to CC'ing their weapon.

I think most people will continue to CC just look at the other various states that allow OC, it's hardly the wild west.
ursusguy
AG
So does this mean folks visiting from Vermont are still technically screwed in Texas?
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
So does this mean folks visiting from Vermont are still technically screwed in Texas?

Not if they possess a valid non resident permit from any state that issues them. Utah, Arizona, Florida are all pretty easy non resident permits to get.

They're still screwed in general when they visit, but that's due to the high risk factor a native Vermonteer (Vermontarian?) is predisposed to of entering circulatory shock when they're exposed to other Texas things like warm sun, lack of snow, green plants that aren't evergreen trees, good Mexican food....that sort of thing.

ursusguy
AG
Always found it interesting that I can go to Vermont and carry whatever I want, where ever I want, with no issue as a non-resident. My FIL comes to Texas, no dice without jumping through some hoops.
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
Always found it interesting that I can go to Vermont and carry whatever I want, where ever I want, with no issue as a non-resident. My FIL comes to Texas, no dice without jumping through some hoops.

Yeah, gun laws from state to state are a fascinating thing to research.

When Oklahoma passed open carry in 2012 they actually thought of that particular snag: residents of states with Constitutional Carry like Vermont, Arizona, Alaska and Wyoming do not need a permit to carry in Oklahoma, since they don't need one to carry in their home state. Kind of neat.

TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
Makes me want to dip my guns pink. It seemed pointless before, since nobody ever saw them but me.
Dip sucks on holster wear... cerakote though... well...
FroggieBreath
I prefer to not open carry, but I have a .45 Sig Sauer and nice holster/belt and I can carry under my suit jacket and if it shows a time or two (like when I reach down for something) that will be fine.

Wonder if a panhandler would be less likely to approach me at the gas pump if I let it show?
FroggieBreath
Panhandler walks up. "Hey man can you spare some money?"

Sees this in my holster.

Never mind!

SD_71
AG
I had not thought of it til someone mentioned it above, now I can pull a couple of my "Sunday go to Meetings" weapons out of the safe. Been too big to hide before, now under a coat or light jacket they will be nice.
IDAGG
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Ever been to New Mexico? You aren't even allowed to be a resident there unless you are certifiably crazy. You can Open Carry there without any kind of license, starting at age 19. You can only concealed carry with a permit.

Our daughter attended college in Colorado. Both kids had soccer tournaments in ABQ and Roswell. I've been there on vacation probably 100 times since I was a kid. We've been to NM probably 50 times in the last 10 years for my wife's job.

Want to know how many people I've seen carrying openly?

Same as in Idaho. About two months ago I finally saw someone OC in the city...after living here 26 years. And that was a customer at a gunsmith's shop who was in his late 60s at least. During hunting season you will see a few people do it out in the sticks. It is really a non issue.
FCBlitz
"great. now every redneck with a chl can make this state look like the wild west again"

Spoken like a true idiot. Grew up in west Texas where shotguns and deer rifles were hanging on a gun rack in most trucks. No wild Wild West occurred back then. It was no big deal to have guns in view.

Armed rednecks are for sure now going to turn out in large numbers to riot and, cause millions of dollars in damage to Asian businesses, make police officers look like they are oppressors, and become dependent on the welfare state.

Yep.....Rednecks are definately now going to be a problem because of open carry.
FSGuide
quote:

There are 30+ states that already allow some sort of open carry. Some don't even require a license to do so. I think we will be ok.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.