Outdoors
Sponsored by

Just heard open carry passed on news radio

11,291 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by TexasRebel
DTrain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FC- all I have a problem with is the idiots with AKs on their back in Starbucks in the Metroplex. They don't have the common sense of regular folks in West Texas. Some folks disagree but I think these types will result in more 30.06 signs where I live.

That said I'm happy about OC and look forward to picking up an OWB holster or two especially for winter.
Ragoo
AG
Why is this a big deal? Open or concealed how is this a win?
agsalaska
AG
I'm happy it passed only because it should pass.

But, like said on the last page, you will hardly ever see it.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
FC- all I have a problem with is the idiots with AKs on their back in Starbucks in the Metroplex. They don't have the common sense of regular folks in West Texas. Some folks disagree but I think these types will result in more 30.06 signs where I live.

That said I'm happy about OC and look forward to picking up an OWB holster or two especially for winter.
Looks like violating 30.06 won't be as big a deal anymore. Somebody said it's being downgraded to a Class C.
Ackley
quote:

When is an expansion of liberty not a win?
Ragoo
AG
quote:
quote:

sure. But that isn't the hubbub. Imo, there are other liberties lawmakers should be focused on not one that affects a very small percentage of the populous. Very much a do about nothing.

Not looking to have a political argument/discussion. I was just curios why we care so much. We get to own and carry guns now, what is the big deal if that is inside your shirt or hanging from your belt is all?
maverick2076
quote:

30.06 won't do anything to deter this. 30.06 only applies to concealed handguns. Technically, 30.07, which applies to openly carried handguns, won't do anything to stop this either, since it specifically refers to handguns. So, to effectively ban all carry, a business would need to post 30.06, 30.07, and a generic gun buster to apply to open carry of long guns.
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
There are 30+ states that already allow some sort of open carry. Some don't even require a license to do so. I think we will be ok.
With the addition of Texas, the number is now 45. Four are Constitutional Carry (no permit) Alaska, Arizona, Vermont, Wyoming.
IDAGG
AG
quote:
quote:
There are 30+ states that already allow some sort of open carry. Some don't even require a license to do so. I think we will be ok.
With the addition of Texas, the number is now 45. Four are Constitutional Carry (no permit) Alaska, Arizona, Vermont, Wyoming.
I think the four states you point out are Constitutional carry for both open carry and concealed carry. There are many states that don't require a permit for open carry at all, but need a permit for concealed carry. Idaho has had legal open carry (no permit required) since 1910. You couldn't legally concealed carry until 1990 when the "shall issue" law was passed, unless of course you had political connections.
CanyonAg77
AG
I think you're right. I believe New Mexico allows OC without a permit, but requires a permit to conceal.
chuckr70
AG
No problem with open carry as a right, my problem is why? Do I want to make myself the first target? What's the logic? Isn't CC safer for the one carrying?
NW80
AG
"Chuck' !!!!
Kudos to you!!!!
Needledick guys everywhere want to be "The Scofield Kid!"
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
Needledick guys everywhere want to be "The Scofield Kid!"

You really gotta stop projecting man.

It's getting to be way, way, way more info than I ever wanted to know about you.
IBombedTheMoon
AG
As a long time CHL holder I am happy that we gained instead of losing some freedom today. OC will result in a few "OMG HES GOT A GUN!!!" Moments starting out, but after a while that crap will die off. Personally I'll only OC when I find myself in some sketchy situation where I would actually want to broadcast the fact that I'm armed. Example, im on the road for work, it's dark and I need to get gas, turns out the station I pulled up to is in the hood and I would typically be labeled as a target, in that situation, yeah, I'd like everyone there to know that I'm armed and ready to defend myself.
AgLA06
AG
quote:
If cops are not allowed to stop people for only open carrying what will prevent people from just open carrying without a CHL? How would they ever get caught?

They won't unless they do something illegal. That's the point. Your rights shouldn't be constrained unless you break the law.
Ulysses90
AG
quote:
Not sure how I feel about this one. I'm not liberal in the least bit but I'm not sure it's a good idea for everyone to be walking around with a gun on their side. There's a lot of crazy folks out there.

Are you talking about the people who might open carry a weapon or the reaction of those who see someone open carrying a weapon? If they are crazy and concealing a weapon, why doesn't that worry you equally? As for reactionary anti-gun nuts, the sight of a sidearm does not drive many of them off the ledge into insane behavior (though Berkeley Barefoot Runner Dude might be an exception).

Just as a mental exercise, would you feel less safe (while either being armed yourself or not) walking down the street next to someone wearing a Dan Wesson 744 in a drop holster or walking next to someone wearing a Pam Gellar autographed T-shirt of the winning entry to the "Draw Mohamed" contest?

Ackley
quote:
quote:
quote:

sure. But that isn't the hubbub. Imo, there are other liberties lawmakers should be focused on not one that affects a very small percentage of the populous. Very much a do about nothing.

Not looking to have a political argument/discussion. I was just curios why we care so much. We get to own and carry guns now, what is the big deal if that is inside your shirt or hanging from your belt is all?

It affects all of the populous except those that can't legally possess a firearm. The hubbub is that it is an expansion of liberty, which is why the majority of the people that post here are excited even though they say they personally won't likely open carry.

Just because you think there are other liberties that should be a priority doesn't mean people can't be excited about this one. I don't even know how you draw that conclusion logically.
Ragoo
AG
Fair point.

Just because you can OC doesn't mean you should.

Hope we work on expanding individual liberties in other areas of life.
Tomcat69
I'll try here. Does a homeowner's policy provide coverage for an "uh-oh" incident with a handgun--concealed or otherwise?
TexasRebel
AG
quote:
quote:
great. now every redneck with a chl can make this state look like the wild west again

Yee haw!!!! Somebody point me to OK Corral!

North...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.