Outdoors
Sponsored by

Rain is outdoors.....

1,262,711 Views | 7033 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by ilikeit
ursusguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yep, already looking at possible evacuations of folks between Ray Roberts and Lewisville.
GarryowenAg
AG
The news just said it's spillway is getting opened today since its 7' over capacity.
aggielostinETX
AG
If the Trinity gets out of the levees in Downtown it will be very bad...Might stop the stupid toll road though..
quote:
Yep, already looking at possible evacuations of folks between Ray Roberts and Lewisville.
rut roh Scooby Doo...
gillom
AG
Agreed.
fishag04
AG
Saw a report of 3" in two hours just north of Dinero. I imagine it will catch a good amout.
plowboy1065
S
My app now says 6.69". We should be pushing close to 20" for the year and sure hope to see some good horns in a few months
fishag04
AG
quote:
It's not Mathis i want filled. It's Choke Canyon...

Anybody that is somebody knows that Mathis is were it is at .
aggielostinETX
AG
is there an actual spillway or just flood gates?
Aggie_3
quote:
is there an actual spillway or just flood gates?

They have both
aggielostinETX
AG
where is the spillway? I only see a dam on google maps.
Aggie_3
Spillway just releases pressure off of the damn when it gets way to high see canyon lake in 2001
aggielostinETX
AG
Right, but I don't see one. Maybe I am looking in the wrong spot.
B-1 83
AG
quote:
Spillway just releases pressure off of the damn when it gets way to high see canyon lake in 2001
You don't "open" a spillway. That is pure overflow when the gates don't handle it.

I hope folks are right about Choke. That is the real source of Corpus water......
Aggie_3
quote:
where is the spillway? I only see a dam on google maps.

On that lake not really sure 99 percent of the time they are never used
Aggie_3
quote:
quote:
You don't "open" a spillway. That is pure overflow when the gates don't handle it.

I hope folks are right about Choke. That is the real source of Corpus water......

Yeah normally it's just another man made structure a little lower than the damn to just let water run over
Corps_Ag12
AG
You must use the word damn a lot for your phone to autocorrect dam to damn
ursusguy
AG
Look about a half mile west of of the end of the dam. Note the area of relatively little development.

aggielostinETX
AG
got it.
schmellba99
AG
Just to the west of the dam, maybe a mile or so. You can see the man made channel that feeds into a little creek.

Edit, Ursus beat me to the punch
Aggie_3
quote:
You must use the word damn a lot for your phone to autocorrect dam to damn

Damit
OnlyForNow
AG
Oh I completely agree with all of your points.

But there is a lot of excess that gets dumped out in the bay systems that in the overall doesn't affect salinity to the point of it causing problems.

Right now the Brazos has been running about 10 feet above it's "normal" water surface elevation for weeks, based on the height of water under the US 59 bridge. Below Somerville the river authority doesn't control much; GCWA, CWA, and other localized water authorities are the ones who determine how much to take out for irrigation, etc and it isn't much, in the grand scheme of things, for the entire stretch of the river onto Freeport.

I'm saying apply a bandaid to a nearly gushing artery, some water in that drainage is better than none, especially if the water being returned into the watershed is otherwise going to spit out in the bay and not alter anything.

One thing those people in the highland lakes region would probably say is they don't want our brown water.
schmellba99
AG
I would argue that the amount flowing into the bays is still less than historical, especially into Christmas and Drum as a result of the new channel construction at the turn of the century.

And a metric crap ton of water is pumped out of the Brazos for the various water uses along the lower river channel. A whole hell of a lot is used to just supplement Oyster Creek which would be dry given the amount of water pulled and the charlie foxtrot that the multiple developments have been on its watershed. There are still places that have almost not natural flow anymore, even with the pumping from the Brazos into OC.

Nothing against the highland lakes, but continuing to perpetuate a problem by robbing Peter to pay Paul is not going to fix anything, and given our long term history on messing with almost anything environmental - it will probably cause more problems than it could ever solve.

And BWA controls a hell of a lot of water below Sommerville, in conjunction with some of the smaller and more specialized authorities.
OnlyForNow
AG
Agree that it's still historically low, but what time frame of history are we going to discuss? Geological time frame of reference or last 2 centuries? Even if we went back to 100 years ago flows (sustained mind you) we'd probably see our sea grass levels in the bays go CRAZY which in turn would mean water quality and clarity would sky rocket.

Yes, Oyster Creek gets the screw job and basically ONLY has water in it due to GCWA pulling water our of the Brazos and and putting it into the channel. And yes OC is basically completely dry from Sienna Point (hell it runs through a 16" pipe through the south levee) down towards Clute almost, it is much more of a intermittent stream with pools than a perennial creek.

I could careless about the highland lakes as well, they built those things somewhere they should have NEVER been built. This is just more for discussion purposes than anything.

Lake Creek by my parents place in Dobbin, was at a flood stage last night we've only seen it once since 1997. So Conroe is going to be FULL, plus all the rain Huntsville was getting I imagine SJRA will open the dam on Conroe sooner rather than later as well.
STX Ag
AG
I don't think Choke Canyon is going to catch anything. It has to rain around Dilley, Leakey area, catch into the Frio, and travel a long ways to get to Choke. Like I posted earlier in this thread, that area has not seen a significant flood event, which is what would be needed to bring Choke Canyon significantly up, since the mid to late 2000s.

A lot of times when the Frio does moderately flood in those areas, little to no water makes it all the way to Choke. All we can hope is that the rains that we have had have saturated the ground and refilled the aquifers to some extent so that when that flood does come, it all makes it to the lake.

I don't know the entire background of the lake, but it has always seemed to me that Choke Canyon was poorly thought out. Small watershed which rarely gets hit, while the Atascosa and Nueces, which flood several times a year, flow within 3 miles downstream of the dam. I'm no engineer, but it seems like a way to divert water from those rivers into Choke would have paid dividends by now. I dunno, maybe that is unfeasible.
Kenneth_2003
AG
^
|
|
Yeah. Getting water out of the Hill Country, be it the Frio and it's tributary creeks and rivers or the Nueces West of Uvalde is nearly impossible. Getting both of those rivers across the Wilcox and specifically the Carrizo recharge zone requires another minor miracle.
STX Ag
AG
Its a shame too. Its one of the best bass fisheries in the state, if the not the world, when it is full and stable. From 2006-2011, I probably spent 20-30 days a year on that lake, including some fantastic days. Havent even been in the last 3 years.
aTm papi
Dear 8lb 6oz Baby Jesus. Fill up Lake Travis!
Slided bread
AG
This is the kind of storm y'all have needed!!
B-1 83
AG
Another deluge in Corpus this morning with stuff moving N towards Mathis. Lake Corpus Christi should come out of the event with a bunch of water, but it is desperately needed in Choke. As somebody mentioned, it has to be a genuine flash flood on the Frio/Seco/Hondo complex to really get water to it. They haven't had one of those for a long time where US 90 closes. They're due......
ChipFTAC01
AG
Looks like another good dump coming this afternoon for central Texas/Panahndle. The rest of the state is looking pretty good. We need to share the love.
Kenneth_2003
AG
If the line that's moving N-S across the entire state holds together, it could make one heck of a mess out of the Brazos and Trinity watersheds. In Dallas, Ray Roberts is full, Lewisville is full... On the other side of the city, Lavon is full and Ray Hubbard is only 1/2 a foot below conservation pool.

Did some more poking around and everything on the Ft, Worth side is 100% full except for Lake Worth, which only lacks 2000 ac ft to be full.

Bridgeport still has plenty of capacity, but that likely wont be able to help things out too much.

Anyone know how much they can hold for a short time before they have to let it all go?
aggielostinETX
AG
Not much.
Most of those lake have pretty large populations close by.
I assume they are opening gates everywhere awaiting this storm.

danieljustin06
AG
They already opened Ray Roberts and are looking at possibly evacuating all residents between Roberts and Lewisville with the expected rainfall amounts.
OnlyForNow
AG
Big line of storms stretching from north of Brady down to Kerrville, looks to be dumping a lot of rain (0.50" an hour). Maybe it'll fill up the Llano and San Saba rivers.
B-1 83
AG
More stuff coming out of Mexico into deep South Texas and Laredo. This may put water in Choke yet.......Lake Corpus may well fill.
First Page Last Page
Page 8 of 201

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.