Outdoors
Sponsored by

Rain is outdoors.....

1,262,633 Views | 7033 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by ilikeit
Keegan99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
techno-ag
AG
Bring it! Fill up them lakes.
MouthBQ98
AG
Texas is going to get soaked
Keegan99
AG
aTm papi
Sean98
AG
Another night with a 70%+ chance of good rain.

....another morning I wake up to am empty rain gauge.

I shouldn't complain because we've gotten almost 1.8" in the past week but we were forecast 4".
Slided bread
AG
http://imgur.com/T9JpjN9
http://imgur.com/YJNQY53
http://imgur.com/fblXAJE

We our 4 acre lake came up about 6 feet overnight.... Been several years since it was full. Property out near Caddo, Tx
Tressels Vest
AG
1.08" in my part of the state! There's a 70% chance Sean hates me.
AlphaBean
AG
3.5" today, 11" since Wednesday. Annual rainfall here is 36". We passed 36" today and it's still coming down. Ray Roberts is now just 2' shy of flood pool. Unbelievable.
Tressels Vest
AG
quote:
3.5" today, 11" since Wednesday. Annual rainfall here is 36". We passed 36" today and it's still coming down. Ray Roberts is now just 2' shy of flood pool. Unbelievable.
It should get there, El Nino typically means Texas floods.
Sean98
AG
quote:
1.08" in my part of the state! There's a 70% chance Sean hates me.
Yes and no. Jealous maybe because we only got a 1/4". But I'm very happy for the pheasants, and in the fall they'll make me and the dogs very happy.
Log
AG
quote:
According to this, Ray Roberts is 5' over flood pool.

http://www.waterdatafortexas.org/reservoirs/individual/ray-roberts

My uncle ('50, Animal Husbandry, president of one of the Ag clubs while there, and his pic was still on the wall of Kleberg last time I was in there) and cousin ('83, BS AGEC, MS LERE) in VV got hit hard the other night. They didn't have their cattle locked out of the bottom, since the cows are usually smart enough to make their way to higher ground when the creek gets up. Consensus is that the cows sensed the tornado coming from the SW and were huddled down in the creek bottom. 5-6" of rain dumped on them and upstream at the same time, and they think a wall of water hit them. Half their herd is missing, and they've spent the last couple of days rounding up surviving strays. A registered bull they bought recently is rumored to have been seen alive, and they know of two dead cows that were tangled up high enough in trees that they couldn't read ear tags to ID them. The only good news is that it is only a couple of miles before Spring Creek dumps into Ray Roberts, so that narrows their search corridor.

They were interviewed on the national CBS news the other night as they were out looking for cattle.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/texas-under-threat-of-severe-flooding/

They got hit again today with another 5-6" of rain and the creek got out again. You can see the debris tangled up in the guardrails along the road in one of the pics from the flood the other night. The other pics show the water coming up, and it was rising when these pics were taken earlier today. Those are mature pecan trees that are inundated, and they are a good 100-150 yards from the creek channel, which is ~15-20' below the land gradient. The water was up at least twice as high the other night.

aggielostinETX
AG
How high did the water get on your pecan trees in the bottom?

Or is that the same bottom?
Log
AG
Same bottom, my uncle's land borders ours. Not sure how high it got, but I'm going to guess at least up into the branches which are 15-20' off the ground. I'm going to try to make it up there later this week to take a look at everything. Probably the biggest flood they've had since 1981, when this happened (take the emotional crap with a grain of salt, since it was obviously written by PETA-types):

https://www.elephants.com/sissy/sissyBio.php
AlphaBean
AG
Full pool is 632.50 and flood pool is 640.50.

Tough deal on the cows. There's a place up the road with a creek running through the pasture and every time it's gushing like now I can't help but look to see if their cows are dangerously close to it.

We had heard some roads were washed out and we wanted to plan for our drives into work in the morning so when we had a break in the storms we ventured out to take a look. This was the view on the east side of 35 just south of where Spring Creek passes under it.

Now to give some perspective, same location on Google maps. As you can see, the drop off there is large enough for the service road to pass under 35. You can even make out the two power poles.

Even further out. You can see Spring Creek here.
AlphaBean
AG
Just checked and the dam is open at almost 2000 cfs. And there I was thinking it would take years for the lake to recover from drought.
Log
AG
That's what we're dealing with. I know exactly what that field looks like on a normal day. Spring Creek runs through both our place and my uncles.

8' low at the beginning of the year and now 5' high.
Kenneth_2003
AG
quote:
Just checked and the dam is open at almost 2000 cfs. And there I was thinking it would take years for the lake to recover from drought.
Just to provide some mathematical perspective, 1 CFS is roughly 2 acre feet per day...

Thoughts and prayers to your family and everyone caught by this. It's great to see our lakes fill up, but it's easy to forget those affected by the events that lead to it.

Our lakes in other areas are still critically low, but it'll devastate a lot of folks upstream when those creek's upstream start flowing.

Sadly many of the east Texas lakes are already full, so these floods will go downstream over the coming weeks.
plowboy1065
S
South Texas getting a good soaking. Deer lease in Bruni has gotten almost 3" this evening. Pretty good cell sat on top of the ranch for a couple of hours. Raining there again now
STX Ag
AG
Just east of there got 8" tonight.
aggielostinETX
AG
That storm is almost stationary
Centerpole90
AG
Centerpolette's softball team is supposed to be in Falfurrias Thursday night to open a series for the next playoff round. A friend of hers in Fal just sent a snap chat of some pretty high water. I don't know where in town it is - but it makes me think that series will probably have to move.
p_bubel
Absolutely dumping rain south of San Antonio. Nothing up here though.
fishag04
AG
Looks like this one might fill Mathis.
B-1 83
AG
quote:
Looks like this one might fill Mathis.
Too far south, I'm afraid. Rained all night starting at about 11 in Corpus. Just poured 4 inches out of the guage. Areas around and NW of Falfurrias got 8 inches. Fal is under water.
STX Ag
AG
Not sure how much it holds, but the gauge at our ranch ran over. This is at dinero, right at the lake, in the shed of one of the feeder creeks.
aggielostinETX
AG
Upper colored river getting soaked but I bet the feeder tanks eat all the runoff.
agenjake
0.9" in Poth yesterday and last night. But we've been pounded the last 6 weeks or so.
Kenneth_2003
AG
It's not Mathis i want filled. It's Choke Canyon...
OnlyForNow
AG
I think they should just build two 48" pipelines, one coming from where the Brazos goes under I-10 and one where the Colorado goes under I-10; both pipelines take water back to the head of the highland lakes and dump it there when there is an abundance of water in the lower stretches of the rivers.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
I think they should just build two 48" pipelines, one coming from where the Brazos goes under I-10 and one where the Colorado goes under I-10; both pipelines take water back to the head of the highland lakes and dump it there when there is an abundance of water in the lower stretches of the rivers.

Only problem is that Austin doesnt want to pay for what BWA and LCRA would charge.

And there are downstream customers that might balk at their water going somewhere else.
gillom
AG
I agree on the first point. On the second, what if the folks downstream got theirs and only the excess was piped north? Bottom line, I don't think it ever happens.
aggielostinETX
AG
Opening flood gates at Ray Roberts bc of predicted rain this week. They are worried about flooding out residents.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
I agree on the first point. On the second, what if the folks downstream got theirs and only the excess was piped north? Bottom line, I don't think it ever happens.

Keep in mind that a certain amount needs to go into the bay and gulf systems as well, and it is a significant amount.

And in all honesty, a couple of 48" pipes is about like trying to fill a swimming pool with a drinking straw.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Y'all have probably seen this website, but I found it while I was look for information about Choke Canyon

http://www.waterdatafortexas.org/reservoirs/statewide
First Page Last Page
Page 7 of 201

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.