Outdoors
Sponsored by

Wanting a skiff for fly fishing the coast

16,931 Views | 106 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TheGroupGuy
WestTXag18
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So I know there have been a few discussions on here about skiffs, but I always enjoy another!

I will be moving to Houston soon and am thinking about getting a boat. I don't want to spend 20k though. So I would love to hear y'all's opinions based on what I want.

Preferably under 8k. 10k max
I would like to be able to have 3 people on the boat. Don't have to be able to fish at the same time.
I would like it primarily for fly fishing the flats so something that can go skinny and pole decently

I have never fished around the Houston coastal area so don't know what I will need for the water there and figured y'all may have a good idea.

From the little research I've done Gheenoe is a likely option. But could you take 3 adults in it?
Carolina skiff seems to be another option but I am not sure about how shallow it will go or how well they pole.

Any suggestions and good discussion welcome!
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
http://texags.com/forums/50/topics/2599887
Centerpole90
AG
Gheenoe is certainly an option for you and maybe one other angler, Finn will know best certainly. I've never been on a Gheenoe so I can't be certain what the capacity is, but I would guess fishing 3 would mean a larger skiff; think, 17 ft or so. Mavericks, HB, ECC, Dolphin, & Mitzi fit the bill and are the 'poling skiffs' that most think of in this class; even if few of them are thought of in this budget.

I'm not sure what Carolina Skiff offers myself. I know they have boats that size, but I don't know how well they pole, how much they draft, or how quiet they are.

Do some research on Ankona. If you search Florida craigslist I'll bet there are some relatively late model shadowcasts in your price range. There was also a thread here a while back about the Sandpiper skiff that was bigger than a Gheenoe, but smaller than an ECC Caiman IIRC. To go three anglers in a skinny water skiff within your price range might be tough unless you are talking project boat. IMHO.

Sorry for all the edits. It took like 5 timeouts at the basketball game to finish it.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Finn will read the title of your post, get a boner and respond accordingly.

That's my guess.
WestTXag18
Yes, Finn is who I'm waiting on! Looks like he has some experience with gheenoes and others. His boat looks great but definitely not able to take 3 people. If I give up on having 3 people in the boat I'll definitely take a look at it.

NW80
AG
Let me start off by saying I've never seen a Gheeno canoe in person.

Now, I have several concerns with the design.
1) Doesn't look very "seaworthy." I'm afraid you'd get swamped in 1-2 ft chop... especially with 2 grown men on board.
2)You're extremely limited in where you can fish ( see #1).
3) You're extremely limited in where/when you can launch (see #1).
4) Its basically a Kayak with a 9 horse motor. You can get essentially the same function out of just that... a kayak.

I'm not putting them down at all, they look really neat. But Let's just for "S&Gs" say you're crossing or traveling down the ICW or Corpus Christi Ship Channel when a 65ft Viking comes by. Sure the vessel does well on Brown and Root , Pringle , Contee or Mule Slough. But, you've got to get there first.... safe and dry.

My Ambush has a lot of the same concerns and it's a lot more boat than a Gheeno.
Centerpole90
AG
Now Doc,

Who said you have to be dry?
NW80
AG
Not from spray!
From treading water!
Mythotbetterthanyours
I lIve on the coast. Fish all the time. Have friends with skiffs of all makes and models. Most expensive down to reasonable. No cheap stuff.

A lot sold their skiffs. Here's why.
- always windy. Lots of times the fish aren't where you can fish in a skiff. Average day here is 15-25. everyday.
- they are very rough (again back to wind issue)
- run shallow great. Easy to maneuver. Don't carry a lot of people. Two. . Three is max. Otherwise you lose the run shallow etc....
-the guys that fish from skiffs are after the "experience". Few fish. Quality.etc,,,
If that's your thing go for it. Kids do NOT do well in skiffs. They make too much noise which defeats the purpose of being in 6" of water.

Just some thoughts. One friend sold his skiff and bought a jet drive. It's unreal where he can go. He gets to the same places as air boats. Some of the places. Runs rough water
well, he wades a lot.
A skiff guy will tell you nothing but how great they are. I just know how many I've seen bought and sold because in reality, they are very limited.
sunchaser
AG
Not my airboat. I had NW80 and Ursusguy onboard and I headed into Tadpole Hole. I have to cross a sand bar. As I got closer Ursusguy started clamping down on his seat.....I have ten good finger prints.
DoubleOught-BMA
AG
Hey Mythot- do u know make/model of your buddy's jet boat? Does he like it... especially as a fishing boat?
Funky Winkerbean
AG
A jet drive 90hp on an 18ft aluminum center console is the way to go. Much more versatile than the Florida style skiffs. As someone who has minor back issues, sitting down in a boat going through chop is impossible.
NW80
AG
Jet boats are great. But, you can't pole a aluminum boat in any wind. I agree with the above poster regarding "skiffs" to some degree. However, IF you want to fish back lakes that are too soft to wade ( Pringle or Mud Island, Mule Slough, etc.) , then you need a poling skiff. Unlike Trout waders you've got to cover a lot of water when you're sight casting a flyrod at Redfish.
Personally, I'd rather wade than pole, but in my world a poling skiff is very advantageous.
The bottom line is that poling skiffs are made for fly fishing and that's what I do.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
What makes aluminum boats poor for poling? Exposed gunwales? Weight?
NW80
AG
The shape of the bow catches a lot of wind. Therefore, you're constantly trying to fight to keep it on track.
Don't getr me wrong, there's a place for the rig you're talking about. It could be a nice wading platform to drop guys off at intervals. But, when two guys want to go out together and sight fish it's a little problematic. Those boats were not designed to fly fish off of.
Someone alluded to fly fishermen not catching quantity and it being more "for the experience." I guess 10-20 Reds per morning isn't quantity. It is for me though.
WestTXag18
Unfortunately there are always trade offs with any boat. I enjoy getting to and fishing areas that most people cant get to. I realize to do that you can't have a huge boat that rides smooth. But that's what I enjoy. and I am young, not married, no kids so right now that's doesn't matter. When that happens I realize things will change.

That's why I am asking. And maybe there isn't anything that fits my needs. I would be willing to give up a little to fit 3 people and have a smoother ride. But I really want to be able to fly fish the shallow areas so if I have to give up having 3 people I guess I will.
NW80
AG
3 people on any skiff "approaches" too many. It's kinda like hunting Quail over a dog. One person over appoint is fun but lonely. Two people over a point is perfect! Three people is too many and four people I won't even leave the house!
Mythotbetterthanyours
The brand of boat doesn't matter. It's just a wide aluminum hull with a tunnel. There's several brands but the wider the better.

Add a jack plate, jet drive and you're all set. Only problem is your jet drive has to have more horsepower than a normal engine. You lose about half without the prop.

You can't compare a jet drive to a skiff. Apples to oranges. You'd compare it to an airboat. The jet drives get behind mudd island all the time. They live back there. Light house lakes, back of south bay. Almost anywhere an airboat will go. I have an airboat so I see them all the time and am amazed how shallow they run. The maintenance is much better than an airboat too.

They are not made for poling. They'll get you where you want to be and you can wade or fish from the boat. You can also run deeper water a little better than a skiff. You could pole it to move to/keep up with a school
Of fish but not to sight cast. Too bulky and as previously posted the wind would catch it.

That same wind makes it tough to fly fish anyway. I'd put a trolling motor on it. There's two like that out of Rockport. Power pole on the back and your set. Not exactly cheap, but it's better than $65-$75k for an airboat. Jmo.

Hope that helps.
Mythotbetterthanyours
You crack me up. Brag about your airboat on here all the time. Funny I know every airboat in port a and rockport. Don't know you. Never seen you anywhere either. I live here.

Congrats that your airboat will cross a sand bar. Wow. Amazing. Guess what. I can get a jet drive over that sand bar. Not a big deal.

Can't you just let people have a conversation without trying to prove how bad azz you are?

No one's ever been nervous on my airboat or In my bay boat. They know I'm safe and never worry. Man it gets old.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
quote:
You crack me up. Brag about your airboat on here all the time. Funny I know every airboat in port a and rockport. Don't know you. Never seen you anywhere either. I live here.

Congrats that your airboat will cross a sand bar. Wow. Amazing. Guess what. I can get a jet drive over that sand bar. Not a big deal.

Can't you just let people have a conversation without trying to prove how bad azz you are?

No one's ever been nervous on my airboat or In my bay boat. They know I'm safe and never worry. Man it gets old.

What brought that on?
Mythotbetterthanyours
Wow 10-20 keeper reds every morning??
You're a much better fisherman than Chuck Scates and Chuck Naiser. They're a couple of fly fisherman who've been doing their thing for a few years now. They'd give a left nut to catch 10-20 reds every morning. You are the best fly fisherman anywhere.

Lol
I asked Chuck about that and he wants your number. Says he'd like to pay you for some lessons. Bwahahaha

He was serious

You might do that once. These guys do this every day. Lots of wannabe experts on here.

NW80
AG
I was wondering the same thing Troutslime. Sunchaser has had his airboat in Port A as long as I've known him.
The OP wanted a boat to fly fish off of not a wading platform. Hence the questions about a skiff. I'd bet the "jetboat" guys don't flycast.
Also, I doubt you could get close enough tot a school of Reds poling an aluminum skifff, especially if the wind is blowin.... at all. Besides not being able to keep the boat tracking, the hull slap will run every fish off the flats.
NW80
AG
Troll!
AZAG08
AG
This took a surprising turn
Mythotbetterthanyours
I posted a jet drive will go almost anywhere an airboat will go. Of course he doesn't read that I said ALMOST and posts "not where my airboat will go"

I get sick of the wannabe experts on here. They know some things but are wrong 80% of the time. Same people always. I had another screen name and finally quit posting because I was trying to actually help Aggies wa ring to learn and sunchaser kept telling me I was wrong. Lol. I finally gave up. He wants to be the resident expert on texags. Gets old.

Who I am is not important. I know things and am willing to pass on information gladly. I'm
Not going to argue with someone who is not in my league. Not being rude. Just honest.
You try to help and you get crap.

Hint. Guys who drop names of places to fish....
Lol trying to show off. The best places have no names!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I was going to chime in on other skiffs but now I'm not getting in other than to elaborate on my Gheenoe.

The NMZ I'm selling is a 2-man boat, tops, maybe 3 if you're all under 150 pounds apiece. But you can't fish 3 unless you're just drowning bait. You're definitely not making long runs or crossing big water with any sort of chop. It's designed to float very shallow and be stable in protected backwaters. It excels in the marsh north of the ICW near Galveston's West Bay. Especially because you never have to run unprotected water. I've even trailered it through Yarborough Pass to fish the flats on the back side of PINS there. And I can launch right off the side of the road to get back into B&R or cover a lot of water in Lighthouse Lakes. What I cannot do is run from Cove Harbor across Aransas Bay to Fence Lake or Allyn's. But I can cross into Estes and cover more water than waders and stand up to sight fish better than 95% of kayakers.

It's light, inexpensive and stable. NW80 is right that it's an oversized canoe with an outboard. But it's easily manageable for 1-2 people to fly fish.

I love the little thing and if the only fishing I ever did was by myself or all I ever did was fish those protected waters or my wife would let me have 2 boats I wouldn't be selling it.

I was planning on getting a technical poling skiff but have decided against it, largely due to family requirements and also because I've got a bunch of friends who have poling skiffs. When the wife is OK with me owning more than 1 boat at a time I'll have another skiff.
sunchaser
AG
quote:
A lot sold their skiffs. Here's why.
- always windy. Lots of times the fish aren't where you can fish in a skiff. Average day here is 15-25. everyday

Well maybe not everyday...

quote:
Wind

Over the course of the year typical wind speeds vary from 1 mph to 18mph (light air to fresh breeze), rarely exceeding 24 mph (fresh breeze).

The highest average wind speed of 13 mph (moderate breeze) occurs around May 1, at which time the average daily maximum wind speed is 18mph (fresh breeze).

The lowest average wind speed of 9 mph (gentle breeze) occurs around August 24, at which time the average daily maximum wind speed is 13 mph (moderate breeze).

quote:
Wow 10-20 keeper reds every morning??

What is this guy's handle?

Many people have switched to jet drives because they can legally fish inside the Sea Grass Study Area and not have to worry about leaving a mud trail.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
If you can't fly fish in 20 you might as well forget fishing the salt.

I'm not going to say I'm a badass caster who can bomb 100ft casts into the wind but if you sit at home because you can't make a 40-50' cast in 20mph wind you're going to sit at home a whole damn lot.
WestTXag18
Thanks for the replies so far. I guess I just need to figure out what I want it to do most as there isn't something that will do it all.

I would like to be able to take it out on small lakes to bass fish or sight cast to carp as well. Would a gheenoe be able to perform there?

And Finn, have you ever fished out of an LT25? Would it be able to hold 3 people better? And is it more stable than your nmz?

And a little off topic, but how do you fish in your nmz on your own? Do you fish and pole at the same time? I'm sure it's hard to describe, but when you say it's stable, how stable to you mean? I have a coosa kayak and can easily stand in it so I'm assuming it would be at least that stable.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I have fished out of an LT25. It's more stable than the NMZ but it's bigger too. An LT25 is 16' long with a 56" beam, my NMZ is 15'4" with a 44" beam. You can handle 3 guys in the LT25 if you're going to get out and wade but, no you can't safely fish 3 guys at the same time- you could have one guy poling, one guy waiting, and one guy on the bow fly fishing though. But with that load you're definitely limited to protected waters.

I pole the NMZ backwards. I pull up the motor, stand on the bow platform and push the boat so the motor is in front of me wherever I go. I have a belt clip that the push pole snaps into when I need both hands and just let it drag behind me in the water. On the floor in the cockpit I have a collapsible mesh laundry basket. I wet a towel and stick it in the bottom for weight and have my fly rod sitting up in it with a bunch of line stripped out.

When I see a fish, I put the pole into the clip on my waist, grab the rod out of the basket, get set and make my cast. I strip the line into the basket to prevent tangles. The basket is basically a lightweight stripping bucket.

Centerpole90
AG
quote:
I guess I just need to figure out what I want it to do most as there isn't something that will do it all.

You win the internet for the day WestTX! We say all the time that everything about a boat is a compromise, and I think we introduce fly fishing into the equation it becomes doubly so. Everything about ride vs dryness vs draft vs speed vs ride again gets ramped up even more when you introduce things like stealth and tracking to the equation. Go with friends, go with guides, fish on every platform you can before you commit to one.
Mythotbetterthanyours
You are exactly right Mr. Finn.

You obviously know what you are doing. Most of the fly guys think we are like Florida etc and the wind is not a major factor. You are good with a fly if you can cast with ourwinds day-in and day-out. Lots of practice and you can do things the average guy can't.

That takes a lot of practice. Something the average fisherman doesn't have time to do. Which leads to the purchase of a boat that will do what the fisherman wants to do but can't successfully because of time constraints.

That's the only reason I suggested a jet drive. You can get places and fish with or without fly gear. Wade etc. away from the tourists etc... Enjoy your day matter what the wind does.

Hope whatever boat you buy works for you WestTx. If it doesn't , sell it and do it again. It's always fun!

Yeah I saw your post sun wannabe. You bore me. Funny that Corpus Christi is one of the top kite surfing areas in the world. But hey there's not enough wind for them. I'll run over and tell them they're wasting their time because you said so.
The handle on the guy posting 10-20 reds every morning is nw80. Thought you knew him. Lol. Read the damn posts before you write.
Wrong about the jet drives. People use them ONLY because they get places a prop won't. Period. A trolling motor wil get you where you need to go or out of where you're at. There hasn't been a sea grass ticket written in years.....

Man you're a ******.
Why can't you just let folks post and NOT try to one-up everything? Let it go...
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
quote:
I guess I just need to figure out what I want it to do most as there isn't something that will do it all.

You win the internet for the day WestTX! We say all the time that everything about a boat is a compromise, and I think we introduce fly fishing into the equation it becomes doubly so. Everything about ride vs dryness vs draft vs speed vs ride again gets ramped up even more when you introduce things like stealth and tracking to the equation. Go with friends, go with guides, fish on every platform you can before you commit to one.
Bingo.

Poling skiffs are great for what they do. And of course you're not limited to just fly fishing. Virtually every single skiff manufacturer puts or will put a bait/live-well in their boat. Even a lot of older Hell's Bays had what they called "crustacean tanks" where the Keys guys would put little crabs for permit bait. Even the most hardcore Keys fly guys will frequently free-line live crabs on light spinning gear to catch spooky permit.

But they have their limitations and that's why I've decided to eliminate a technical poling skiff from my plans for the time being.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not getting a big ass CC Shallow Sport or Majek or Pathfinder, it will still be fly fishing friendly but just more versatile.
Cancelled
AG
Only on Texags can a fight erupt during a thread on skiffs.

That being said, I always wanted a polling skiff. So awesome, so sleek. But IMHO they just don't work on the hell bays we have. Now, in the Keys, you bet, nothing embodies the romanticism of flats fishing than casting a fly from a skiff. Your best bet is to get a Texas sled and be done with it.

I DUST MY CRAWFISH!!
Centerpole90
AG
quote:
But IMHO they just don't work on the hell bays we have.

OMG THEMS FIGHTING WORDS. You've ruined my TexAgs experience. I saw what you did. Loud Noises. Fast shallow running boats you have to sit down on. They are the best and EVERYONE in Texas should have one.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.