Outdoors
Sponsored by

Things to do in borger tx

11,410 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by HumbleAg04
Poeag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like I'll be relocating to this neck of the woods in the next few months after I finish my masters. What sort of outdoor activities can you do up in those part if the woods.

Besides counting cows, watching the lake dry up, and windstorms.
raidernarizona
Cook Meth!
raidernarizona
I've hunted coyotes and Pdogs in Fritch and that was a blast!
Potcake
AG
I think there is a bowling alley. Watch antelope near White Deer. Look for horny toads, that's the ladt place I've seen them. The carbon black plant looks scary as hell at dusk (co-workers said Mordor, a Harry Potter thing I think). Lake Meredith isn't too far away.
Lungblood
quote:
Look for horny toads.

Go to Amarillo and you don't even have to look. They'll find you.
CrossBowAg99
AG
There is a refinery and a bunch of pipelines there
Poeag
AG
Yepp that's why I'll be there
SouthparkKenny
You can sit on your porch and watch your dog run away from home for two weeks.
HumbleAg04
AG
Be thankful P66 didn't send you to Sweeny?
Log
AG
Alibates Flint Quarry

Hiking/hunting at Lake Meredith
eric76
AG
There was pheasant hunting, but the drought kind of ended that, for the most part.

There is still some deer and pronghorn hunting.

The last time I saw Lake Meredith, it didn't look like much. Whatever you do, don't bother going fishing at Lake Optima near Hardesty, Oklahoma. http://www.abandonedok.com/optima-lake-state-park/ It was a big joke when they built it and a bigger joke now. Of course, they confiscated several thousand acres of land from its owners by the use of eminent domain as part of the big joke.

A little more about Lake Optima. It was built by the Army Corps of Engineers and is, I think, their biggest failure ever. At the time they were building it, they projected that it would hold X acrefeet of water where X was some pretty large number. In this area, that was commonly jokingly said to mean that the lake would cover X acres of water one foot deep.

The April 1 issue of the Guymon Daily Herald from 1979 (I think) had a front page story about how the world's foremost dryland fisherman (a businessman in Guymon) was fishing in the middle of Lake Optima and threw his cigarette overboard. The cigarette caught the grass on fire and someone called the fire department which showed up and put the grass out, filling the lake to capacity in the process. The article then went on to say that the lake quickly became popular for its watersports and had so many people that they had to appoint a cop to enforce laws at the lake -- his name was Charlie Tuna. It reported that he wrote so many tickets the first day that he became known as "Chicken of the Sea".

I suspect that the water level today is probably around a foot deep but doesn't cover very many acres.
eric76
AG
Also, don't forget about the Amarillo Mountains.
cevans_40
AG
Cruise main street on Friday night and pick up high-school chicks. Install a carpet dash cover on your truck (make sure its red) so you won't look like you are from out of town. After this cold front, I am sure you need to sweep the snow off of your satellite dish. If you have been there more than a day or so, it's time to dust your dishes. Frank Phillips College has a solid cosmetology program if you need a haircut. Back roads out by the plant late at night can be interesting. Other than that I am at a loss.

On a serious note, make sure you stop for lunch at Onion's on main. Pretty solid burgers.
NW80
AG
You will not be too far from Colorado/New Mexico Trout fishing.
eric76
AG
There used to be the Dance Platform in Lipscomb four nights a year (if I remember correctly, the third Saturday of June, July, August, and September). Unfortunatlely, they quit doing that about five years ago in spite of the increasing popularity.
PANHANDLE10
From the looks of it, smuggling drugs is the most common form of entertainment. Finding something to do in Borger will be difficult.

Good luck. The Panhandle is a great place. Lots and lots of hunting opportunities.
eric76
AG
There's also a music festival each summer at Mobeetie.

Here's last year's schedule: http://www.mobeetie.com/pages/Mmf_Schedule.htm
eric76
AG
One word of warning -- DO NOT SPEED IN FRITCH.
HumbleAg04
AG
Tell me if Sandhill Cranes really are ribeye in the sky.
aggolfer
AG
Not much woods up there
EMY92
AG
There is/or was a Braum's.

That's about all I've got.
CanyonAg77
AG
http://texags.com/forums/39/topics/2502328

Check out this thread.
FIDO 96
AG
Skanks.
El Chupacabra
quote:

As someone who has been in Borger and Sweeny for said company, I would agree with this.
water turkey
chase tumble weeds
eric76
AG
Don't forget high school sports.

And, in case you're interested, you can go to Aggie games in Goodwell, Oklahoma, less than 100 miles from Borger. Unfortunately, they aren't Texas Aggie games.
SouthparkKenny
A lot of ghosts of Anarene in that backdrop of Americana.
ursusguy
AG
All 3 people I know from there had meth issues or were dealing with it in their family......I know, not a great sample size.
TwoMarksHand
AG
quote:
Archer city resident here...still surprises me that people can still reference Anarene.
SouthparkKenny
quote:
quote:
Archer city resident here...still surprises me that people can still reference Anarene.
That movie was a big deal for my generation, huge McMurtry fan. Could have went with "Thalia" but no one ever catches that. Anarene still triggers some response from a die hard few, or in your case a local that grew up with it.

Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Get in good with a wheat farmer and maybe they'll let you shoot Canada geese during the season. Apparently the hunting is amazing up there.
wadd96
AG

Drink.
Screw.
Play Chess.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
quote:

As someone who has been in Borger and Sweeny for said company, I would agree with this.

Based on what I've seen on google earth, and my limited experience in the panhandle....the Old Ocean area is a resort compared to Borger.

At least with Sweeny/Old Ocean, you can live in a decent town and drive to work. There are good and bad about both, obviously.....but yeah, I'll take the Brazos, Colorado and San Bernard river bottoms over Borger.
Poeag
AG
thanks for the responses.

I can tell there's certainly a lot of options out there.

I'm hoping that there are some good hunting opportunities up there. Anyone know the going rate on a lease up in those parts?
TwoMarksHand
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
That movie was a big deal for my generation, huge McMurtry fan. Could have went with "Thalia" but no one ever catches that. Anarene still triggers some response from a die hard few, or in your case a local that grew up with it.

I'll be at the Royal this weekend for a dinner/concert. Always a ton of fun if you feel like making a roadtrip to see the old sights in person.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.