Outdoors
Sponsored by

Does anyone know a Sheltie breeder?

12,539 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Shaggie 05
FincAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The wife is ready to get a dog. I grew up with Aussies and she Shelties. We are looking for a puppy from a casual breeder who might have spring or summer litters, and we are glad to sign a no breed clause. We have scoped out a few online, but they all cater to socialites and/or dog shows. If you know anyone please let me know.

I've posted this to Classifieds but will take it to Aggies Only as well.

Thank you for your time.
Doug Glatt
AG
Parents have 2 they got near Pilot Point 10 years ago, can't think of a name though.
tx4guns
AG
We will be getting a new one in the next year, so I'm interested in hearing what you find. We also just want a pet, not a show dog, but having the good bloodline is better to minimize your chances for genetic disorders.

I was going to get one from Mystique Shelties in Baytown, but it looks like they retired from breeding based on the info on their website. We want a Sable colored one, as that's what we had before.

They are great family dogs and wonderful watchdogs. We really enjoy the breed, along with our Schipperkes, which will be the next puppy we get, as our female is going on 14 years old.
MouthBQ98
AG
I do collies, but I can see if my wife knows. She's judged them before.

My wife also came up with mistique as a name. I'm not so sure they're out of shelties as much as they might not have any breeding right now in particular.

[This message has been edited by MouthBQ98 (edited 3/4/2014 10:52a).]
MouthBQ98
AG
Location?
MouthBQ98
AG
Wife sent me this for another breeder: springtimess@gmail.com
FincAg
AG
Dallas and the wife and I like road trips so a few hundred miles is not a stretch.

Thanks Mouth
rafkennel
you should contact Bellevue Shetland Sheepdogs they are located in Benton La
Harold and Judy have been breeding great dogs for 30+ yrs
tx4guns
AG
Good looking dogs at Bellevue. Thanks for the info.
Msgt USAF Ret
Might try this one too.

Texas Sheltie Breeders - Available 7 days and evenings Home Breeder
FincAg
AG
Over $2,000 for a female that doesn't work and wont be bred seems a little rich for my blood. The Texas Breeders are a very proud group.
Msgt USAF Ret
I never tried them I was just trying to find my neighbor who used to raise them when I came across Texas Breeders. My neighbor used to train them as herders. It was not unusual to look out in the road and see a flock of 20-30 sheep being herded by a couple of the dogs. Sorry about Texas Breeders.
Mathguy64
AG
Over the years I have had 6 shelties. The next to last we picked up from a breeder named Robertson Shelties in Midway. That was about 13 years ago. When we lost him last year I had a hard couple of days and hit the interweb hard. I found a breeder in the Carlos area but they didn't have a litter at the time. They suggested someone in Hempstead who did. I can't remember the name off the top of my head but if can figure it out I will post it.
75Strat
AG
A few months ago I saw an ad in the Ft Worth Star Telegram for DonAngie Shelties out in Hamilton. Don't know anything about them.
oneeyedag
We bought our current Sheltie out of Tulsa Ok. Shes a Blue Merle long and lean with shorter hair than traditional Shelties, with a prey drive that rivals that of a Shepard or Malinois.

However its been about seven years ago but if your interested I will look at her papers to find the breeding information.
ABATTBQ87
AG
http://www.sheltierescuetx.org/

http://www.sheltie.org/

http://www.assa.org/rescue.html
MouthBQ98
AG
totally forgot about recommending rescues.
FincAg
AG
My apologies Msgt USAF Ret, I didn't mean to sound so harsh. Thank you oneeyedag but a stronger than average prey drive is not exactly what we are hoping for, but I appreciate your coming forward.

As far as rescues, we have spoken with a local friend here who does rescue shelties and she kindly noted that my wife and I would not be an ideal fit for the type she comes across. We also really would like to mold our own without having to break the habits of a stray or abused dog. It will be around kids from 2-12 quite a bit.

Something we have found out, just a slight rule of thumb, if someone has a website for selling dogs, their starting asking prices are around $1,000. That's what we've found so far. I'm sure they have great dogs with long prestigious pedigrees, but we don't plan on showing our pup.

I really do appreciate all the comments, and if anyone knows a friend or family member with a litter coming in the next 6 months, we would be excited to get in touch with them.

Thank you
75Strat
AG
The classifieds in the Austin American Statesman list a couple.
MouthBQ98
AG
When we had our collie litter, we practially gave them away at $600. That was less than they cost to get to ~12-14 weeks. Purebred, properly bred and socialized pups can be pricey, from a good breeder.

I still think that you might still keep an eye out for rescues. Not all of them are from abusive situations. Some are pets from people that simply found themselves in a very bad financial spot, and are ok.
Towns03
AG
I adopted a 6mo belgian shepherd from the BARC shelter two months ago. There were several other shepherd dogs/herding dogs there at the time. Price, $50. Availability, in stock.
Towns03
AG
BARC shelter on Carr st in Houston, that is.
jss127
I could give you a contact name/email of someone in the Houston area that sends out a periodic email of pet/companion sheltie pups available in the area if you are still looking?
AlphaBean
AG
You may not plan on showing the dog but how much is good temperament and a stacked deck of health cards worth to you? A pedigree full of health tested ancestors and siblings is pretty nice. I'd expect 1k to be a minimum cost of any breed from a quality breeder, though of course price does not guarantee quality so buyer beware. I wish that's all I was paying for my upcoming pup.

Also, rescue dogs don't necessarily have issues. People are real *******s and ditch perfectly good dogs on a whim. An adult fostered dog is ideal for most folks IMO. At that point temperament is 100% known as well as some health issues, and training has already started if not done.
musicforall
Having just gone through the sticker shock of buying a sheltie three years ago, $1000 is the average price for a non-breeding "pet" sheltie, in the state of Texas. Also, you will probably have to get on a waiting list because anything show-able will go to a show home first, for a higher price. Sometimes the breeder will keep a puppy a little while to see how it matures. It is very common for shelties in the same litter to be too big or undersized, and those puppies will need pet homes and to not be bred. Star emailing breeders now to see who might be hoping for an October litter for Christmas puppies.

oneeyedag
We got our last Sheltie from Okies in Tulsa Ok. Went to ou game and they met us in ok city. Shes around 8 year's old and still runs circles over our Border Collie, and will out work and out play any of our 4 Shelties we had in the past.

Good dog very high drive, with off switch, long and lean at 24 pounds. Medium coated Blue Merle.
75Strat
AG
Ours came from Faye McGill in Hempstead. She has a website at Fauna Shelties.
AgNav93
AG
I can vouch for DonAngie Shelties in Hamilton. I have one of their Shelties now. She cost $600 3 years ago and is a beautiful tricolor sheltie. A little high strung, but thats the breed. They were pretty old three years ago, so, they may not be in the business any longer.
The Shank Ag
Bump as I am also looking for one for my wife and I after we had to put down ours this summer. Any new advice?
Shaggie 05
AG
My Aunt got one just the other day from this lady:

Starfire Rance

She got a 7 year old sable that had been one of the breeding males. Really sweet little fella.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.